Search Unity

Bug Frequent crashes on m1 with 2022.2+ - Does Unity Care?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Wrymnn, Feb 18, 2023.

1. Wrymnn

Wrymnn

This issue has been dragging for months and still no reply on many of the threads with this issue.

It would be good to support your developers Unity, even those with MAC devices, there are many of us and silicons are getting into frontend of development.

We have a huge project to be released soon https://store.steampowered.com/app/1961600/Darfall/ and both our built Demo, as well as editor keeps crashing constantly with Unity versions 2022.2+. This issue has not been present on 2022.1, so there had to be some breaking change that keeps causing this.

You have numerous crash reports attached throughout the macOS forums you can investigate, and we will provide any additional info you require, but please, investigate this, as its impossible to release games on macOS with your new unity versions for any studio out there.

This also shows how you can support your devs with these critical issues, as crashing builds are critical, as they are unusable.

Attached Files:

2. DevDunk

DevDunk

If you have consistent crashing, especially if they are (semi) reproducible, make a bug report when it crashes (so the crash report is attatched). That is the only guaranteed way it will be seen. The forums are a community forums, so then it's up to luck if staff sees it/

3. Wrymnn

Wrymnn

I create probably 4 of these bug reports with attached logs during the past 2 months, nothing yet from unity.

4. DevDunk

DevDunk

Ah that sucks. Can you share the ticked IDs here in case staff sees it?

5. jazzay22

jazzay22

I have also submitted a crash bug report to Unity, and no response. Perhaps I'll start submitting one every time Unity crashes (many per day), if I can automate filling out the form.

While yes these forums are community focused, the top dozen or so threads under MacOS are 'xxx Crash yyyy' so any sort of community support staff would be able to see this immediately, if there was such a role at Unity.

6. DevDunk

DevDunk

Sending multiple of the same probably won't help and might make things worse since the QA will be clogged up then. Making it as reproducable as possible while staying on the latest unity version (the latest few 2021 versions have been stable for me, while versions under 2021.3.13 had frequent crashes) is the best you can do

7. jazzay22

jazzay22

@DevDunk yah I was being a bit sarcastic. Just crashed with the editor deadlock (freeze) again, and lost a bit of work. Will try to get this reported as well. This editor deadlock is different than the all out crash in Gfx Shadow loop, but also Gfx related looks like.

8. chemicalcrux

chemicalcrux

I'm getting a pretty even 50-50 split on the two kinds of bugs:
    • The editor crashes, with ScriptableRenderLoopShadowsJob on top of the stack trace
    • The editor spontaneously hangs; I have no idea how to diagnose this

tea_n_cake likes this.
  9. jazzay22

jazzay22

@chemicalcrux yup I get both those as well. Both are really bad. The latter is a deadlock of the main editor thread waiting for some Gfx related semaphore. I have to force quit the editor a couple dozen times a day.

Sadly I reported the first crash issue, and Unity just closed my report, calling it a duplicate of this issue linked below, which is not entirely true. The issue we all are seeing has nothing to do with idle machine, and is Gfx Shadow related:

https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...is-left-idle-while-the-editor-is-in-play-mode

Perhaps everyone could go and comment and vote that up, as it may be the only way to get Unity to wake up and realize the seriousness of this crash/deadlocks.

10. jazzay22

jazzay22

@Phil_Z it appears you work at Unity. Could you escalate these issues internally please?

11. RidiCulis

RidiCulis

This is still a thing for me... ridiculous

12. Loran75

Loran75

Same here. I have posted many crash reports about ScriptableRenderLoopShadowsJob problem. The only responses received are "this is a known bug"...

13. DevDunk

DevDunk

If it's reproducable make a bug report