Search Unity

Bug freelook camera interpolates between orbits counter intuitive

Discussion in 'Cinemachine' started by laurentlavigne, Oct 12, 2022.

1. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

what's expected is that Y will linearly interpolates within the heights*radius field
    instead what we get is a linear interpolation between the rigs
    so if a rig is way higher than the previous one, there will be a massive jump in speed of the camera

2. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

That is the expected behaviour, it is not a bug.

FreeLook might not be the best CM rig for your needs. Can you post an image or video showing the sort of camera behaviour you are looking for?

3. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

your usual orbital third person camera: 2 axis of control, movement should be predictable

4. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

Well, it's a byproduct of the three-ring setup when the middle ring is the centered state. We can't cotrrol how you space your orbits.

Instead of the FreeLook, you can try using a regular vcam with FramingTransposer in Body and POV in Aim. That will give you a 2-axis orbital camera that is completely symmetrical.

5. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

I tried that first but couldn't find the fields to type in the name of the X,Y mouse input.

6. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

It's inside the POV, hard to miss

7. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

still can't find it, can you show me in a screencapture?

POV?
    upload_2022-10-12_10-57-42.png

8. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

You forgot to put FramingTransposer in Body and POV in Aim.

upload_2022-10-12_14-1-44.png

9. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

Gocha, I'll try.
    This moves much more naturally although it loses the nice control so I'll take it for a spin, thanks.
    I noticed that the up vector doesn't match and there is no similar option to bind it, is this where I must use the world up override in the CinemachineBrain?

10. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

Actually this setup probably won't work so easily for your use-case (because of the travelling Up problem). Sorry to mislead you. Instead, you can keep the FreeLook, but space the orbit heights evenly.

11. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

the problem with the 3 orbits is that some times the camera goes on the other side of the orbit, maybe the piece of code is wrong?
    Code (CSharp):
    1.                 var positionNearFollowCamOrbit = TARGET.position + (transform.position - TARGET.position).normalized * followVCAM.m_Orbits[1].m_Radius;
    2.                 followVCAM.ForceCameraPosition(positionNearFollowCamOrbit, spaceVCAM.transform.rotation);
    using a vcam worked because i assigned target to the override up vector of the cine brain, but it ignores collisions and has a hiccup