Search Unity

Bug [Freelook Camera] Inconsistent behaviour between Mouse Delta and Gamepad Right Stick

Discussion in 'Cinemachine' started by Bezoro, Aug 25, 2022.

1. Bezoro

Bezoro

When using the mouse to rotate the freelook camera it behaves as expected, regardless of the framerate.
    When using the gamepad's right stick to rotate the freelook camera it rotates faster the higher the framerate.

When setting the Cinemachine Brain to Fixed Update it works as expected but then adds other issues. (Mouse rotation becomes inconsistent regardless of framerate and movement gets very choppy due to unsynchronized character/camera updates).

Cinemachine: 2.8.6
    InputSystem: 1.4.2

Cinemachine Brain:
    cinemachine brain.png

Freelook Camera:
    freelook camera.png

Look Inputs:
    look.png mouse delta.png right stick.png

2. Bezoro

Bezoro

Ended up working around it with custom code instead of using the cinemachine input provider.

From what I can tell, Smart Update is using LateUpdate under the hood.
    Therefore there must not be any code to make the input getting fed into the system framerate independent.
    Simply multiplying the look input by Time.deltaTime should fix the issue. I tried but couldn't find exactly where the input was being applied.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2022
  3. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

Cinemachine is applying deltaTime in the appropriate places.
    Do you have this input setting set?

upload_2022-8-26_11-17-7.png

Mudias likes this.
  4. Bezoro

Bezoro

Hey, thank you for taking the time.
    Yes, the input system is set to process events in dynamic update.

Just so you know this is my code, which ended up giving me framerate independent look rotation for both mouse and right stick alike.
    Its in LateUpdate(). And the Cinemachinebrain is also set to use Late Update, since that is what gives me flawless results with Kinematic Character Controller.

Code (CSharp):
    1. var xInverted = 1;
    2. var yInverted = 1;
    4. if (characterFreeLookCamera.m_XAxis.m_InvertInput)
    5.    xInverted = -1;
    6. if (characterFreeLookCamera.m_YAxis.m_InvertInput)
    7.    yInverted = -1;
    9. characterFreeLookCamera.m_XAxis.Value += LookInputVector.x * characterFreeLookCamera.m_XAxis.m_MaxSpeed * xInverted * Time.deltaTime;
    11. characterFreeLookCamera.m_YAxis.Value += LookInputVector.y * characterFreeLookCamera.m_YAxis.m_MaxSpeed * yInverted * Time.deltaTime;

5. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

Thanks for the info. I don't have a working gamepad at my home office, so can't check it myself. I've ordered a new one, should arrive within a couple of weeks. I'll get back to you.

Bezoro likes this.
  6. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

Got the gamepad and checked. You are right! DeltaTime is not in fact being applied properly in CM's input handling. We will make a fix.

Bezoro likes this.
  7. Salja

Salja

Can you pls Update Here If the fix is out?

8. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

This has been fixed in the most recent CM version.

9. baumxyz

baumxyz

Sorry for reviving this thread, but I am using Unity 2021.3.22f1 with Cinemachine 2.9.5 and my stick input is unfortunately also frame rate-dependent. Attached are some screenshots of my setup:
    2304211715.png

Edit: Here is a short video about the difference:

https://imgur.com/a/u0frch0

Edit2: Fixed it with the delta time processor by @antoinecharton

https://forum.unity.com/threads/why...era-framerate-dependant.1419530/#post-8924786

Last edited: Apr 21, 2023
    Gregoryl and antoinecharton like this.
  10. JoshChristiane

JoshChristiane

Yeah this is still an issue that hasn't been fixed. I'm on Unity 2022.3.6f1 using Cinemachine 2.9.7 and the gamepad controller input is framerate dependent still. I'm going to apply the custom delta time processor as recommended by others, but this probably should get fixed.