Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Freelook camera help

Discussion in 'Cinemachine' started by inthemilkywat, Oct 6, 2019.

1. inthemilkywat

inthemilkywat

Trying to replicate camera like in this video.

When the player is walking away, the camera will only start following when at max orbit radius. Not sure how I would achieve this because the freelook camera is always set at orbit radius behind the player.

2. inthemilkywat

inthemilkywat

Adjusting the z dampening on the rigs seems to give me the effect I need. Is there a way to make the camera only follow when player is moving?

3. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

Hmmm... are you looking for a "dead zone" in the camera-to-player distance? The FreeLook doesn't have that built-in, and will always try to restore the distance baked into the orbits. You could try adding an invisible game object that tracks the player with a dead zone, and set that as the FreeLook target.

4. junctionboss

junctionboss

Trying this,camera and 3rd person char working as expected happy about that, but mouse look up/down doesn't do anything here with this freelook camera I just added--where do I look for that ?

Thx

5. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

I don't understand the the problem. Can you post an image of your FreeLook setup? Inspectors and hierarchy please.

6. junctionboss

junctionboss

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvVOuPY0RaB5hpQolnlLiXiGiLZGBw?e=VQS7JJ ,hope that helps,but I just meant ( sorry for late reply) that when I move mouse up to sky or such, the camera doesn't move up as expected to SEE higher elevations, higher objects.

Also not sure why player bobs down/up as I start game move and stop to idle, ??
    https://1drv.ms/v/s!AvVOuPY0RaB5hpQphatsmrtjS0Rj6g?e=aKi1hv

I tried watcing the lemon character but that didn't work out well so gave up on that one.Short of a quick fix here, is there a better ,current, 3rd person unity tut I'm missing ? Videos online are often out of date or not applicaable. I did try free offering 3rd person but with no support per se I see no reason to go there having troubles with that too.I'd rather have fixed what was wrong and learn and if know that's awesome too,but for now I'm just going to try again with John Lemon :)

Thx

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
  7. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

@junctionboss It doesn't work properly because your setup is wrong.

You need 2 separate game objects, not parented to each other:
    1. Unity camera with CM brain
    2. FreeLook

You'll see the correct setup if you create a new empty scene, then select this from the main menu:

upload_2019-11-26_9-18-40.png