Search Unity

Freedom of Movement in Competitive FPS

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by Sungold, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Sungold

Sungold

Recently lots of people are pushing for more innovative mechanics in first person shooters. Stuff like wall running, double jumps, changes of gravity, grinding on rails, air dodges, power slides, etc. This article on Kotaku emphasizes this point: http://kotaku.com/five-things-every-great-first-person-shooter-needs-1653281844

However, as the amount of freedom of movement increases, the predictability of your position lowers. As you have more ways to move around a level, it becomes more difficult for your opponents (in an online team-based shooter) to predict where you are going to be at any given time.

My question is thus: Is it possible to incorporate innovative movement mechanics into an online competitive tactical shooter, where for example, teammates can callout the positions of enemies, bombs, etc. and create interesting strategies while still retaining interesting movement mechanics, that allow you to navigate the level in innovative ways?

EDIT:
    I did some searching for this, and I found Urban Terror. It allows you to wall jump, power slide, and basically if you have adequate skill, you can travel through the map very fast. However, it requires you to stand still to have accurate shooting. However, when I played it myself, it seemed more like everyone was just running around rather than forming any strategies. It was only in this match between Portugal and France where it seemed that some tactics were being used:

Thank you for reading!

2. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

That's probably because the modern gamer's brain thinks only in terms of move and fire fire fire when placed in a FPS game! Asking them to combine strategical thinking in an action shooter game is asking for a meltdown. So they default back to as you said "just running around" (and shooting shotgun style I imagine). ;)

3. CaoMengde777

CaoMengde777

... itd help if they bring back leaning and prone first >< ... like .. i guess i dunno about farcry4 .. but farcry 3 doesnt have leaning or prone.. and to me, that makes the game worthless.. how can i feel like a commando without those basic movement controls that have been in FPS forever ... just because console they took that out, i know.. like call of duty doesnt have lean anymore, and its just pathetic.. seriously.. a shooting game without prone? really?? like 80 percent? of bullets fired were probably from prone LOL

since wolfenstien enemy territory, ive wanted some cool maneuvers...
    like, you could dive, sprint or jump and then go prone, and when you hit the ground you move forward a little and slide, .. its cool they made a actual "dive" in CoDblack ops

there was some levels you could "trick jump" to get over walls you were supposed to blow up and the enemy is supposed to prevent you from blowing up.. blowing up wall was a main objective, but you could circumvent the objective by being a skilled "trick jumper" .. it was "glitching" i guess, but back then it was known as "trick jumping" NOT "glitching" .. you were a Badass for being able to do it.. not a "cheater"

and that got me thinking that trickjumping like that should be a part of more games...
    not to mention that objective based mode... wolfenstien and quake wars are AWESOME!

call of duty, you could mantle over, mantle on ledges .. when i made maps for call of duty, i made Any and All ledges that look like of decent height to mantle, mantleable ... whereas the devs of CoD, it was better in like cod2, but afterwards i notice they significantly limited mantling .. and i thought of that as "SUPER LAME and INCOMPETENT DEVS"

especially on the zombie modes, you cant like climb and stand on cars and stuff... in a zombie map i made, you can, theres no technical limitation, theyre just "stiff shirt?" designers or something.... LAME!!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  4. Kinos141

Kinos141

You do know that modern FPSs are stripped down versions of games like Quake, Doom and Wolfenstein?
    Old school FPS used to put the player in a arena, with enemies and let the player sort it out... usually with bullets.
    Now, it's all on semi-rails.

And to this day, people still use jump shooting like in Quake.

BrandyStarbrite likes this.
  5. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

If you want to be able to use a call out of sorts to let your team know about someone in the middle of a tactical movement, just make some kind of movement state variable. If running on a wall puts you in a wall running state (or sets a wall running bool to true), check for it in your call out script. As long as your ray hits the play (or whatever), make the call out based on the player state.

It'll be a lot easier to do it that way than how other games do it where you need to press several buttons to get through menus to find the call out option you're looking for which is at that point no longer relevant :p

6. Petethegoat

Petethegoat

Kudos to everyone who has replied for missing the point so spectacularly.

OP, I think it mainly depends on map design. Your main point ("as the amount of freedom of movement increases, the predictability of your position lowers") depends on the size and openness of the map, I'd say.
    If you're limiting your players within something like the average counter-strike map, then allowing them to traverse it a little faster can have a pretty drastic effect on the game. It also depends on win conditions.

If one team has static objectives to defend, then they're probably going to be disadvantaged by more freedom of movement. If it's pure elimination or something else, then it'd probably be easier to balance.

7. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

This probably depends on the individual game. One thing to keep in mind, is that the more complex/advanced types of movement you allow for, the more of an impact map & gun design will have on game balance. Super fast movement probably wouldn't work with CSGO guns, for example.

I've heard Titanfall's a good example of a recent FPS that's done movement right, rewarding experienced players who are skilled at movement, but not crippling newer players. It hasn't seen much high level competitive play/eSports support, but most FPS' built on source automatically work well in a competitive setting.