Search Unity

Free vs pro script features (IK)

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by XJonOneX, Dec 20, 2017.

1. XJonOneX

XJonOneX

Hi all, first time Unity scripter, long time game modder.

When researching what all Unity can do, I am extremely impressed. I can't wait to dive in! The last game engine I worked with was created in 1996 and just couldn't handle what I wanted to throw at it back in 2015, IK. (Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2 if you're wondering)

During my research, I came across the IK portion of the documentation, and am elated to see how simple it is to control animation of a humanoid via IK. I spent months of scripting and using half arsed trickery to get a semi workable IK system in place.

Anyway, during my research I also came across a page on the Unity site showing that certain features were locked behind the pro version, IK being one of them. Some corresponding documentation for the scripting api showed in parentheses "Pro version only" however, when I look at the documentation for Unity 2017 this is not the case.

So, has Unity allowed all of the engine features/scripting to be available with 2017? Can I use the free version and have unfettered access to IK functionally? (Along with some other tasty bits that I read were locked behind the pro version?)

Thanks for any clarification!

2. Ryiah

Ryiah

Yes. Just like Unity 5 (the first release to have full engine functionality for free).

XJonOneX and JoeStrout like this.
  3. XJonOneX

XJonOneX

Fantastic! Thank you Ryiah. :)