Search Unity

Free Unity 2.x Indie Upgrade

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by stuthemoo, Nov 21, 2008.

1. stuthemoo

stuthemoo

Hi,

Stuart here.
    I'm 15 and I've have had Unity Indie for a while now and use it sometimes to create a few games as a hobby and never plan to make any money off them or distribute them.
    I'm interested in the features in Unity 2.x Indie but I'm not really prepared to spend another $99 just for a profit free hobby.
    Is there any change I could get a free copy?

Thanks Heaps,
    Stuart

2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Many people spend far more than $100 on hobbies which they never make a dime off of. You would spend over $100 on just 2 new games for a console, which won't be nearly as fun or long-lasting as Unity.

--Eric

3. stuthemoo

stuthemoo

People over 15 with incomes and also I don't buy games anymore.

4. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Mow some lawns/get a paper route/shovel driveways/save your allowance/collect cans with deposits/etc. It doesn't take that much to get $100. No such thing as a free lunch. ;)

--Eric

5. stuthemoo

stuthemoo

Yea I have $100 but I'm not going to spend it on unity

6. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Then you don't get the upgrade. You can't seriously expect people to just hand you free stuff that you can afford to buy yourself.

--Eric

7. stuthemoo

stuthemoo

It's worth a try

8. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Can I have your $100?

--Eric

9. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

Eric if you get the $100, could I get half?

10. Dreamora

Dreamora

Obviously you don't need Unity 2.x Indie then if it is not worth you 4-5 visits in cinema for much longer fun

11. 64746c

64746c

I'm 15 and I own Unity pro. The only reason I could afford it is because I got paid work using Unity indie. The only reason I could afford Unity indie is because of mowing lawns. ;)

12. TouchSoft

TouchSoft

This topic was a joke right??

Please tell me this was a joke....

13. Dreamora

Dreamora

2008 + kids that want everything = hu? sure no joke ;)

14. taumel

taumel

What confused me, was:

New Mac Pro - 32GB Ram, 6.2Ghz 8-Core Processor and a 4TB hard drive! - All your renders would be instant! vs. $100.

15. Dreamora

Dreamora

As that system does not exist, thats something of no importance ;) Also proofen by the total missassumption that such a box would mean instant rendering
    (the highest clocked existing quad core was 5.117Ghz in Paris with fluid nitrogen cooling)

I think thats what he would love to have but as he does not invest $100 to make a considerable amount of cash by using Indie, then getting Pro with that and then the big bucks, he won't get there.

16. taumel

taumel

Oh, excuse my ignorance of possible MacPro existences.

17. crockett

crockett

Good for you for not letting age stop you from getting what you wanted. I was mowing lawns by 15 as well.

18. stuthemoo

stuthemoo

http://www.apple.com/macpro/

and of course I no ur renders wouldn't be instant. Just exaggerating.

and wow that was a lot of money you raised with only unity, DannyL maybe I should do the same

19. deram_scholzara

deram_scholzara

:D If only Bill Gates would give us all his money.

What I suggest you do is find businesses in your area that could use good designs for fliers/ads/whatever and make them... then present the designs to them and try to sell them for relatively cheap. If you're into programming, maybe you could find businesses that could use online purchasing systems, and build one for them.

Personally, I got Unity by getting a job, but I was 20 when I bought it.

20. stuthemoo

stuthemoo

Ok, ok i'll save up.

I'll finish another 2D side scrolling game Im working on and sell it.

21. Jessy

Jessy

As a human being, mowing lawns is beneath you - a waste of your time. But what Unity Technologies does with their time is not, and they should be well-compensated for it. They deserve the $99.

How did you get a Mac, anyway? I'd say it's pretty bad parenting to not buy you a Unity license, if you're at a high enough economic level to have a Unity-capable computer. Did you ask them?

(I have no respect for having to work crap jobs to get stuff you want. I respect the hard work itself, but that's best left to machines, or unmotivated, uncreative people. I speak as a person who has been dealing with such jobs for a decade now, when I was this kid's age. Don't start him on a road to Hell. Unless they're dead, let his parents do their job.)

22. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

Might I suggest you sell the mac pro and get a mbp + unity and some change for it?

23. Dreamora

Dreamora

does not make a difference. 6.2ghz quad core CPUs don't exist, not even with fluid nitrogen overclocking.
    Perhaps first checking what you have, what you need and where you want to get in the future would help and you would realize that 32GB of RAM is 4+ times as much as you need at max (I've 8GB in my dev machine) and even if not, you can get them at 1/4 of the price at real retailers. With the saved 2000+ USD you can nearly get Unity Pro 2.x which will allow you to upgrade your macpro later again or get the iphone editions as well and make even more cash.

24. crockett

crockett

It's not about a road to hell it's teaching them everything doesn't come on a silver platter. If you just give a kid everything they want reguardless if it's for something good or not, then they will never learn the value of it. If they didn't have to earn it, most likely it will just be tossed away in a few months for something new.

25. Jessy

Jessy

I am in no way suggesting that everyone should not work hard. My opinion is that some work is just not worthy of the time of someone who would be using Unity if they didn't have to do the work. It's not this kid's fault that he doesn't get paid to use Unity, even in a mostly self-educational sense. That's just a result of him being born too early.

It's all time-relative. A caveman would have thought cutting grass 14 hours a day for the rest of his life, with the rewards that such work would get today, to be an absolute dream. But we've moved beyond having to deal with the hardships of that era, via technology. How much longer do you think human beings are actually going to be cutting grass?

I continually sell all of my old stuff and get new stuff. There's nothing wrong with that - it's personal progress and elimination of clutter. The ability to do so is the direct result of me spending countless hours at boring jobs I hate that keep me from doing anything I am properly suited for, however. :?

26. stuthemoo

stuthemoo

Ok. you caught my exaggeration. And by the way I don't have a mac pro at all. I'm just saying what you could have. I have a 1.25Ghz iMac G4 with 1 GB of ram.

That won't happen. I earned Unity 1 and have been using it for about 2 years now. I have come on and off it but never left it completely.

27. stuthemoo

stuthemoo

Ok you're right I'll buy Unity 2 and maybe even the iPhone add-on.
    You guys do deserve the mere $99, I can't imagine how hard it is to write a game engine.

Would anybody like to help by buying a copy of my game?
    http://www.perrin.co.nr

Thanks,
    Stuart

28. aaron-parr

aaron-parr

Working for a living is not the road to Hell - not necessarily. It is however "life". But if you wish to think of it as Hell... well whatever mows your lawn, dude. :) Why you would push that perspective upon someone else, however, is a mystery to me unless it stems from a bitter root.

And now back to our regularly scheduled programming ...

... about that $100. I too vacillated over spending my money for Unity 2.0. If Unity 1.6 is already fun, then why bother on paying more for the same toy eh? It turns out however that 2.0 is a better toy. You'll have to decide if $100 is worth it for a toy. If however you are going to make a career out of this, then don't waste your time waiting - buy the upgrade now and get to work.

29. Jessy

Jessy

Only for now. Plenty of people don't work, but still have houses and food provided for them by the government or their parents/caretakers. I've been to a lot of people's houses in the projects, and they're living in better conditions than a good amount of people living in the same area, from a century ago, would have been, if those people had been hard-working. As time goes on, it will only take less and less menial labor to provide yourself with tools of self-, social, and technological improvement.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venus_Project

Believe me, if it were possible for me to feel differently about it, I would. Unfortunately, boredom makes me physically ill and very antsy. As it is, the best thing to do is invent things to make life more pleasant, and use the inventions of others that do the same.

It's not my perspective. It's the opinion of humanity at large. People don't want to have to work for money, and they don't want to perform repetitive tasks. The advancement of technology is about getting better results based on less tortuous, boring work.

Existing in most people's shoes today, I'd say it's only logical to be quite unhappy with the primitive state of things. Call that bitterness if you will, but if you're already stuck in the cesspool, it's up to you to drag yourself out, and help others do the same. I see no reason to waste young minds in it, though (like teaching this kid that menial labor is a means to get what he wants). Let his parents take care of him properly now, so that he can learn how to do something pleasing and marketable, instead of having him try to make up for lost time later.