Search Unity

Assets Free toy GPU pathtracer

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by arkano22, Jun 12, 2020.

1. arkano22

arkano22

Hi all!

Download it here!

This is a weekend project I started out of need for a cheap, simple pathtracer for offline rendering inside Unity. I'm getting it out there -needless to say- for free. It's basically an implementation (more like a shameful copy-paste) of Alan Wolfe's shadertoy pathtracing tutorial, so give all the credit to him:

https://blog.demofox.org/2020/05/25/casual-shadertoy-path-tracing-1-basic-camera-diffuse-emissive/

I just added a few goodies on top of it: refactored/organized shader code into multiple files, basic camera support, basic scene hierarchy support and material system.

Features:
    - Bugs! (quite probably)
    - Interactive rendering.
    - Fully GPU based.
    - Look ma, no compute shaders! (only vanilla vertex/fragment shaders).
    - Sphere and quad primitives.
    - Material system with albedo/specular colors, roughness and emissive.
    - Basic importance sampling (cosine-weighted hemisphere).
    - Antialiasing.
    - Russian roulette ray termination.
    - HDR linear color space with ACES tone mapping.

Might / might not be added in the future:
    - Image-based lighting.
    - Next event estimation.
    - Basic BVH/BIH support.
    - DOF/Bokeh.
    - Texture mapping.
    - Denoising.

At some point, if I ever get to polish it enough I will upload it to the store (also for free, of course). You're also welcome to modify it, extend it, or turn it into a coffee machine.

Warning: do not use in production environments (unless your game revolves around noisy images of spheres and planes). Satisfy your inner graphics geek, enjoy it!

How to use:
    Import the package, open up any of the sample scenes and click play. You'll have to figure out the rest :). Here's the download link again: download

Images/Videos:

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
  2. unit_dev123

unit_dev123

really cool work