Search Unity

1. Welcome to the Unity Forums! Please take the time to read our Code of Conduct to familiarize yourself with the forum rules and how to post constructively.

Assets Free toy GPU pathtracer

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by arkano22, Jun 12, 2020.

1. arkano22

arkano22

Hi all!

Download it here!

This is a weekend project I started out of need for a cheap, simple pathtracer for offline rendering inside Unity. I'm getting it out there -needless to say- for free. It's basically an implementation (more like a shameful copy-paste) of Alan Wolfe's shadertoy pathtracing tutorial, so give all the credit to him:

https://blog.demofox.org/2020/05/25/casual-shadertoy-path-tracing-1-basic-camera-diffuse-emissive/

I just added a few goodies on top of it: refactored/organized shader code into multiple files, basic camera support, basic scene hierarchy support and material system.

Features:
    - Bugs! (quite probably)
    - Interactive rendering.
    - Fully GPU based.
    - Look ma, no compute shaders! (only vanilla vertex/fragment shaders).
    - Sphere and quad primitives.
    - Material system with albedo/specular colors, roughness and emissive.
    - Basic importance sampling (cosine-weighted hemisphere).
    - Antialiasing.
    - Russian roulette ray termination.
    - HDR linear color space with ACES tone mapping.

Might / might not be added in the future:
    - Image-based lighting.
    - Next event estimation.
    - Basic BVH/BIH support.
    - DOF/Bokeh.
    - Texture mapping.
    - Denoising.

At some point, if I ever get to polish it enough I will upload it to the store (also for free, of course). You're also welcome to modify it, extend it, or turn it into a coffee machine.

Warning: do not use in production environments (unless your game revolves around noisy images of spheres and planes). Satisfy your inner graphics geek, enjoy it!

How to use:
    Import the package, open up any of the sample scenes and click play. You'll have to figure out the rest :). Here's the download link again: download

Images/Videos:

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
  2. unit_dev123

unit_dev123

really cool work

unityunity