Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Free tool I made to help write Asset Store metadata

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Le_Tai, May 6, 2017.

1. Le_Tai

Le_Tai

If you are a publisher on the Asset Store, you know how painful it is to write asset description.

They required us to format in a very small subset of HTML - which you have to dig deep into the docs to find which tag are supported - which isn't a lot, so using HTML only complicate thing. After that, it took a lot of time to preview your description in the store - which make it painful to iterate.

That why I create Asset Store Metadata Editor - A markdown base editor with real-time, WYSIWYG preview to help you write fancy ASCII art or whatever else you want in your asset description.

It is completely free, have no ad, and probably a lot of bugs. Hope you find this useful.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    razzraziel, Mauri, BuzzKirill and 5 others like this.
  2. QFSW

QFSW

Bookmarked, if you copy text in with the tags will it display/output correctly?

3. Le_Tai

Le_Tai

There a copy code button, which copies the translated HTML that compatible with asset store.

4. QFSW

QFSW

Ah no, I meant in reverse
    upload_2017-5-6_12-16-28.png
    So like this :)
    upload_2017-5-6_12-16-41.png
    Any idea why the spacing is different on your tool than the actual store page?

5. elmar1028

elmar1028

This will make my life so much easier! Thank you so much for this! :p

6. Le_Tai

Le_Tai

No. The text box is supposed to translate markdown. The html tag is what make spacing different.
    If you want to keep your existing description, copy the text in the store, not the raw html.You will have to redo the formatting in markdown though, but the site will save it so you don't have to do that next time. If you have multiple assets, well, I guess I will find a way to handle paste with formatting.

7. QFSW

QFSW

Yeah I understand that I can live without it parsing the HTML, but since it can parse markdown into HTML, how hard would it be to add the reverse?

8. Le_Tai

Le_Tai

Probably not at all, but time-consuming, and I'm don't have too much free time devoted to this. (don't underestimate regex, the parser might be a 7-liner but it still took me 1-2hr to get it right)
    If anyone wants to help, I'm very much appreciated! https://github.com/LeLocTai/AsMe

9. QFSW

QFSW

Haha nah don't worry, I understand :) was just suggesting it in case it was something you hadn't considered, looks like a good tool

10. scottyboy805

scottyboy805

Great tool and saves quite a bit of time with the preview feature. One question though. Is it possible to have both bold and italic text? I tried this: ***text here*** which looked like it worked but the closing tag was visible in the preview so it might be a bug? Anyway I have added a screenshot so you can see what I mean.

Attached Files:

11. Le_Tai

Le_Tai

Yes. Fixed. Might need to hit ctrl+f5 to reload script

12. andyblem

andyblem

great tool

13. BuzzKirill

BuzzKirill

Thanks a lot for this!

14. masternully

masternully

How to change link text?

15. Le_Tai

Le_Tai

You edit the part in the square bracket. There an example in the box at the bottom.

16. Le_Tai

Le_Tai

How tf did you guy find this anyway. No sane person browse this sub-forum lol.

17. GeekOverdrive

GeekOverdrive

Le-Tai:

"unity asset store metadata help"

Don't underestimate Google!

Thanks for spending the time on this!

18. jjxtra

jjxtra

How to add a collapsible section?