Search Unity

Free Thirdparty Unity Cloud Build Service for Gamedev Startups?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by the_Bad_Brad, Jul 18, 2018.

1. the_Bad_Brad

the_Bad_Brad

I recently gone out of high-school and I am starting a small game studio. I currently earn little selling game assets on TurboSquid so I cannot afford Unity Cloud Build Feature. I can wait and focus on building game assets until I earn enough fortune but I would like to get started with game development right away if there are free cloud build services.

2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

I'm curious, if you're just starting a small studio why do you need cloud build? Sorry, I'm not aware of any free alternatives.

Kiwasi and angrypenguin like this.
  3. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Yeah, I understand the value of Cloud Build, but I wouldn't let not having it stop me from making a game. In fact, as useful as it is I'm not using it right now. ;)

Is it Cloud Build specifically that concerns you, or is it the team services in general? If it's the latter I strongly recommend looking into 3rd party alternatives such as Visual Studio Online. They're not as streamlined as the Unity versions and will require that you use some 3rd party tools, but they'll let you do all of the same stuff, and there are multiple free hosting providers for you to choose from.

4. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Did the free tier of cloud build end? I must have been sleeping through that announcement.

Cloud build is nice to have. But its totally not needed to do anything. For the small projects you can do on your own, building locally is fine. Even if you manage to make something massive, you can always just hit the build button before bed.

5. Ryiah

Ryiah

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
    AParisi0 and Kiwasi like this.
  6. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Huh. That explains the lack of general complaining. I seldom ever read announcements directly. I just pick up on the general buzz from the forums.

I guess that's one less reason to reactivate my plus subscription.

7. the_Bad_Brad

the_Bad_Brad

I found some free cloud compute from Amazon. It is basically a remote desktop connection where anyone can access and work on the project. We can work on shifts since it only allows 1 user per session. So I do the environment and the other person do the characters and so on..

I will use Teams Advanced when I have enough fortune.

You might be curious why not just use my own PC? Well, I am still living in my parents' basement and I only have this lackluster netbook in hand!

Until then I am open to some suggestions

ancient pc.png .

8. Murgilod

Murgilod

Cloud build makes absolutely zero sense for the kind of games you'd be making on a netbook. The build time decrease would be absolutely negligible.

Kiwasi and Joe-Censored like this.
  9. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Why not just use regular version control with git or the like? That's what everyone else does.

angrypenguin likes this.
  10. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I have a feeling that this is specifically disallowed by the license, by the part that tells you not to make the software available to others via a network.

I definitely understand why you're looking to get more computing power at your disposal, then. That makes sense. However, I don't think the solutions you're looking at solve that particular problem.

What's the netbook you have? And in what way is it limiting your game development? If we know specifics we might be able to suggest specific solutions.

Personally, if I were developing on a netbook, here are the three main issues I think I would have:
    1. Cramped screen space. In game dev I often want to be able to interact with multiple bits at once and I don't know that I'd have room on a, what, 7" screen? It's also likely to be a low res screen, which won't help either.
    2. Poor IO devices. The keyboard and pointer device are unlikely to be the kind I'd want to use for more than a few minutes at a shot.
    3. Slow hardware performance. It's just not going to do things like compile or import assets very quickly, which will damage productivity.
    1 and 2 you can probably fix for under a hundred bucks, as long as your netbook has a video plug of some kind and a USB plug. Buy a cheap 1080p screen and an entry level keyboard and mouse. For simple games this might even already be enough to get you going!

3 is just going to require a better computer. Computers are cheap these days, but I understand that for someone just out of high school it might still be a challenge. I would suggest looking at second hand stuff. In my early days I equipped most of a studio with second hand gamer PCs. In your situation I would recommend looking at a laptop. Keep in mind that it doesn't have to be the latest and greatest - it just needs a reasonable screen (I would suggest 1080p), keyboard, and not-terrible performance bits. You don't need anything too fancy to start out.

zombiegorilla, Ryiah and Kiwasi like this.
  11. the_Bad_Brad

the_Bad_Brad

My netbook is an old Acer Aspire 4310 with only 2GB RAM.

So far I am using the free cloud compute with no issues at all. Thank goodness I have an optimal internet speed. When I connect it to the netbook, it functions just like a decent PC.

Build times are not slow usually 3 to 7 minutes.

Until then I will save up for a proper workstation preferably as desktop so I can upgrade on-demand.

12. QFSW

QFSW

3 to 7 minutes on the netbook or on the cloud?

13. xjjon

xjjon

You can build for free using free tier on Azure or AWS

14. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Its 3 years later. Please read the dates on threads before posting, to avoid pointless necros like this.

15. xjjon

xjjon

Yeah just noticed that, weird that I necro'd - I only looked at the new posts in /General section :oops:

16. MDADigital

MDADigital

We use our own build agent in azure dev ops. Works pretty decent.

xjjon likes this.