Search Unity

Assets [FREE] StoryLucent: Virtual StoryTelling Framework - comics and visual novels

Discussion in 'Works In Progress' started by Starpaq2, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Starpaq2

Starpaq2

web_Storylucent_node.png

New 2019 UPDATED Editor!
    What is StoryLucent story node editor?

A visual development tool that achieves storytelling in a multiple forms of media. Construct cinemas, visual novels, comics, music videos, video trailers, audio narratives, and point/click adventures. But there is more… use storylucent as a trigger and event system that directs the story of your platformer, fps or strategy game.

The StoryLucent editor is designed to allow you to structure your story with elements, plots and chapters. Tell your stories from any perspective or point in time in any given direction. StoryLucent aims to provide the same level of creative freedom as writing on paper. Visualizing your story as you put it together. Why limit story development to just a single form. Save time and boost your creativity by combining the efforts of storyboarding, narrative and dialogue scripting.

The node editor fuses actions and narrative development to achieve fast fruition. Storylucent can produce complete products on its own and will be an even greater asset when combined with others. Each node can produce an animation, event, produce text, play audio or any future developed action. At the same time the nodes can be used to write dynamic branching narratives for characters, settings, presentations or scripts.

What Special Powers does it have?
    • Works with 2D or 3D (VR/AR in development)
    • Multiple Playback Modes: Cinematic, Step, Reverse
    • Timeline Support: Turn your timelines into nodes
    • Cinemachine: Control the behavior options of the virtual cameras
    • Infinite branching for dialogues, actions, events and menus
    • Dialogue System: Multiple character conversations
    • Audio Theme Looping
    • Automatic Story Reduction (Summarizes elements of the story)
    • Random Event Placement

Major Developmental Changes

Development Priorities: Workflow Efficiency and Reliable Compatibility

The editor has built from the ground up. StoryLucent is no longer dependent on Fungus or any third party libraries. The new story node editor was designed to focus on compatibility with unity for longevity and the core was designed to be modular to drive functionality through the nodes. Storlucent operates on Unity as old as 5.6 and up to increase the likeliness of future compatibility.

Major Node Editor Features

Infinite Node Portals (aka Nesting)
    Each node in the Story Node Editor can contain a portal to another room of nodes. This is very handy for node organization and to eliminate tedious re-branching of extra nodes.

Who is it for?
    And How is this different from other visual node editors?

The editor was designed for myself as a Solo Developer to help produce commercial content. As a single programmer I noticed that updating and bug fixing multiple products in various platforms would become a nightmare. Too much time is spent reviewing and re-learning code after spending lots of time with audio, art and other projects.

This is where I dreamed of creating a “User Friendly” process using the benefits of nodes without restricting the ability to code.

• Artist, Programmers and Beginners
    • Special Attention for Solo Developers
    • No Coding Required

A Node Based Economy
    Storylucent will be open for node development. Any developer may develop nodes for distribution. This means that you may create nodes and sell them anywhere. To avoid nodes from breaking and requiring constant updates, the core of Storylucent is designed to allow nodes to operate nearly independently from the core framework. All the does is call the node to do its thing.

Beta Testing - When Can It Be Tested !?
    I’m aiming for beta testing to start somewhere in march 2019 as I use the tool to produce content for my stories in development.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    OLD POST from 2017
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    5+ years in the making StoryTelling algorithm designed to produce dynamically driven stories.
    Early work in progress demo of the results

What is It?
    A framework designed to bring graphically driven story's to life. Powered by an algorithm that allows multiple story arcs to be combined. This allows any reader to follow a story from any character perspective. At any point in sequenced time the reader can move virtually from one perspective of the story to another. For simplicity sake: seamlessly be able to experience the story from the hero/villain perspective. Ever wonder what the nasty villain was up to during our Hero's recovery?

The Tool
    The StoryLucent Framework is a tool 5 years in the making used within the Unity3D engine to create deep meaningful and immersive stories without sacrificing immense time away from the creative process. Recently I have merged the framework into the Fungus visual scripting platform for an easier user interface.
    View attachment 256924

How Am I Using it?
    I'm working toward making to story projects. An original Space FantasyMyth titles "StarLaw". I'm also work on a re-visualization of the Bible. Here are some screens in progress for the story:
    StoryLucent_Sandbox_Main.png

StoryLucent_Starlaw_04.png

StoryLucent_Starlaw_05.png

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
    ocimpean likes this.
  2. Starpaq2

Starpaq2

web_StoryLucent_logo_elliefly_a.jpg
    Completed the foundation of StoryLucent's Framework.

The Framework will be referred as a Dynamic Story Sequencer

This unity Editor is built on the foundation of Fungus & AudioLucent combined. StoryLucent will be specially designed with workflow in mind. Like the platform it was built on StoryLucent will also be FREE. Ensuring that a complete product can be built within a few minutes of project creation - is the goal. The package will have many advanced options for visualnovel/cinematic/comic/virtual storytelling and without detracting too far from being "easy to use". I plan on using the product personally to build my stories, and the most important thing as a single person team for me to ensure was that i can produce stories with being slowed down by the technical nuances of bugs and adding new features while in story production.

Features will include:
    • Timeline Support
    • Autoplayback (live video like event playback)
    • Incremental Event Playback
    • Reverse Event Playback
    • Custom Previous Scene Playback
    • Multi-Introduction Startup
    • Auto StoryScene Reduction (allows you to add as many scenes without worrying about deleting unneccesary content)
    • Random Event Placement (for internal, external or interesting story elements)
    • Dialogue System
    • TextFlow (SLayout Built In)
    • Quick MultiCam Setup (also working on Cinemachine support)
    • Snapshot based setup for tweening, camera placement and Text Flow
    • New Unique Visual Node UI Editor with Pooling (uses Native UnityUI)
    • Toolbar for instant scene setup and scene navigation
    • Screenshot Grabber

Features Still in development:
    • Auto Comic/Dialogue Bubbles
    • Panel Placement/Animation Editor (for comic panel feature)

Future Plans:
    • AR/VR support
    • Constant growing library of code blocks
    • Interactive Myst Style Navigation

3. Starpaq2

Starpaq2

Demo of the StoryLucent Framework.

Youtube Video Contents
    1. Explanation - 1:30
    2. Scene Setup and Quick Links - 5:30
    3. Creating Animation Events - 7:30
    4. Screen Fading - 12:00
    5. Re-editing Story elements - 16:00

I demonstrate how to go from empty scene to basic narrative animation in very little time. Most of the development time is geared toward making the tool as easy to use as possible by reducing as much clicks and editor navigation as possible.

ehance likes this.
  4. Starpaq2

Starpaq2

5. AVOlight

AVOlight

@Starpaq2 Looks amazing! wanting to start a new story project; is there VR support?

6. Starpaq2

Starpaq2

Thanks for your awaited interest. Yes VR will be supported as well. I have actually revamped the entire tool and will have an example project and more news very soon this holiday :)

HeadClot88 likes this.
  7. AVOlight

AVOlight

Looking forward to it :)

8. HeadClot88

HeadClot88

So got a question - Will StoryLucent support 3D models?

Asking as everything I have seen so far is using some form of cutout 2D art in 3D space.

9. Starpaq2

Starpaq2

Yes in fact the editor is designed to support everything in 3d (including models, textures, shaders) and 2d sprites, fonts and ui.
    The power and flexibility of Storylucent will come from the nodes. The extensible support will be nearly limitless once i get the core framework released.

I can't wait!

HeadClot88 likes this.
  10. HeadClot88

HeadClot88

This is good to know. Is there an planned release time frame for the core framework?

11. Starpaq2

Starpaq2

• Right now the goal is to have it ready for public testing January 2019 ... although i would prefer December 2018. But i'm aiming to release a demo product along with the core framework. Honestly, i'm tweaking the visual UI of the editor, right now before release.

• im working on having solid documentation and video so support the tool. I'm going to do another video demo of the new editor quite soon.

HeadClot88 likes this.
  12. Starpaq2

Starpaq2

New 2019 UPDATED Editor!

web_Editor_01f.png
    What is StoryLucent story node editor?
    A visual development tool that achieves storytelling in a multiple forms of media. Construct cinemas, visual novels, comics, music videos, video trailers, audio narratives, and point/click adventures. But there is more… use storylucent as a trigger and event system that directs the story of your platformer, fps or strategy game.

The StoryLucent editor is designed to allow you to structure your story with elements, plots and chapters. Tell your stories from any perspective or point in time in any given direction. StoryLucent aims to provide the same level of creative freedom as writing on paper. Visualizing your story as you put it together. Why limit story development to just a single form. Save time and boost your creativity by combining the efforts of storyboarding, narrative and dialogue scripting.

web_Editor_05f.png

The node editor fuses actions and narrative development to achieve fast fruition. Storylucent can produce complete products on its own and will be an even greater asset when combined with others. Each node can produce an animation, event, produce text, play audio or any future developed action. At the same time the nodes can be used to write dynamic branching narratives for characters, settings, presentations or scripts.

What Special Powers does it have?
    • Works with 2D or 3D (VR/AR in development)
    • Multiple Playback Modes: Cinematic, Step, Reverse
    • Timeline Support: Turn your timelines into nodes
    • Cinemachine: Control the behavior options of the virtual cameras
    • Infinite branching for dialogues, actions, events and menus
    • Dialogue System: Multiple character conversations
    • Audio Theme Looping
    • Automatic Story Reduction (Summarizes elements of the story)
    • Random Event Placement
    Major Developmental Changes
    Development Priorities: Workflow Efficiency and Reliable Compatibility

The editor has built from the ground up. StoryLucent is no longer dependent on Fungus or any third party libraries. The new story node editor was designed to focus on compatibility with unity for longevity and the core was designed to be modular to drive functionality through the nodes. Storlucent operates on Unity as old as 5.6 and up to increase the likeliness of future compatibility.
    web_Editor_08f.png

Major Node Editor Features

Infinite Node Portals (aka Nesting)
    Each node in the Story Node Editor can contain a portal to another room of nodes. This is very handy for node organization and to eliminate tedious re-branching of extra nodes.
    web_Editor_04f.png

Who is it for?
    And How is this different from other visual node editors?

The editor was designed for myself as a Solo Developer to help produce commercial content. As a single programmer I noticed that updating and bug fixing multiple products in various platforms would become a nightmare. Too much time is spent reviewing and re-learning code after spending lots of time with audio, art and other projects.
    web_Editor_09f.png

This is where I dreamed of creating a “User Friendly” process using the benefits of nodes without restricting the ability to code.

• Artist, Programmers and Beginners
    • Special Attention for Solo Developers
    • No Coding Required

A Node Based Economy
    Storylucent will be open for node development. Any developer may develop nodes for distribution. This means that you may create nodes and sell them anywhere. To avoid nodes from breaking and requiring constant updates, the core of Storylucent is designed to allow nodes to operate nearly independently from the core framework. All the does is call the node to do its thing.

Beta Testing - When Can It Be Tested !?
    I’m aiming for beta testing to start somewhere in march 2019 as I use the tool to produce content for my stories in development.

HeadClot88 likes this.
  13. HeadClot88

HeadClot88

I was wondering what was going on with this. I am very excited :)

Starpaq2 likes this.
  14. Starpaq2

Starpaq2

Quick Look at the Text Writer Node

HeadClot88 likes this.
  15. Starpaq2

Starpaq2

web_Editor_10f.png
    Node Colors.[insert name here]

The StoryLucent Node editor allows any and every node to be custom colored. The design decision behind the coloring of nodes is extremely important. A story is generally created through words but more information without a doubt can be conveyed through pictures and colors.

StoryLucent's methodology is to provide the most flexibility to adapt to the design principles of the writer/creator’s needs. For myself I use colors to convey information such as emotions and also signal importance. As an example the brightness of colors can be used to highlight the most active points in the path. While the actual color red may be used to identify an action scene while yellow is a happier scene.

Of course because the color can be used anywhere and the same color can signify many different meanings depending on the context of the node. I consider color an overlooked feature of any tool that can provide more facets of information for little to no cost.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  16. Starpaq2

Starpaq2

Been real busy putting together another proof of production for StoryLucent.

The Samurai's Edge created using the current state of the StoryLucent Editor.

HeadClot88 and limpin_jezus like this.
  17. MithosKuu

MithosKuu

How goes progress? I would love to get my hands on this for a project I have in mind

18. Starpaq2

Starpaq2

Thank you for your interest in the tool. I will have a progress update no later than this Friday. All features are ready to be demonstrated at this time :)

19. Starpaq2

Starpaq2

Here is a full detailed breakdown of the StoryNode Editor from an empty scene.

Includes a demo of the Character Creation and Dialogue System.

The Delays have been well worth it. I have finished all core components of the StoryNode editor. Just cleaning up the aesthetic design. The last component finished was the UI system. Yes! you can build an entire functional UI just with nodes!

20. MithosKuu

MithosKuu

Looks great, I can see a lot of potential uses for the character system. Can't wait to get my hands on it

Starpaq2 likes this.
  21. Starpaq2

Starpaq2

Things are ramping up! I got a new video in less than a week since my last. I'm super pumped!

This video includes: Camera Movement/Animation and Shifting.

Workflow has been a priority when it comes to how the Story Node Editor will work. The goal is to streamline as many realistic use cases in storytelling as possible. I expect and hope for the tool to expand and become more streamlined. I have also nearly finalized the node template, permitting the distribution and creation of nodes from any interested developers.

22. Starpaq2

Starpaq2

Release of the "Story Node Editor" tool has been delayed to ensure it is as production ready as possible for first initial release. Sadly, I did not realize till the last moment that a lot of error checking is missing and I am considering a UI revamp. Very sorry for the lengthy delays on the tool for those that may be interested. Thank you for your patience.

Additional News: Virtual Reality is in progress implemented for my VR development on oculus products.

In the mean time Here is a new cinematic made using the Story Node Editor. All features completed and it now works with Cinemachine. Yay!

Story Node Editor + Cinemachine

HeadClot88 likes this.