Search Unity

Free Shade 3D for Unity 13.2.4 Now Available

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by Lynn Fredricks, May 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lynn Fredricks

Lynn Fredricks

$shade3dforunity-ui-640x378.jpg

Shade 3D for Unity 13.2.4 now available for download.

The fixes and improvements included in all versions include:

• Create movie file from animation rendering through Python script now able to skip the codec dialog.
    • FBX exporter dialog now changed it's user interface layout to use tab controls instead.
    • New English Python Script Reference manual
    • New sample scripts from Detta are included in this release, including one to create ball joints for animated character creation
    • More Online Help documentation added for plugins.
    • New option added at "Convert To Polygon Mesh" dialog for allowing to convert the selected shape(s) into mesh object
    • OBJ Importer now display a browse dialog to locate the missing material and texture files.
    • Localized strings updated in Polyhedron and SpiralLine plugin.
    • Create movie file from animation rendering through Python script now able to skip the codec dialog.
    • FBX exporter dialog now changed it's user interface layout to use tab controls instead.

Also includes fixes and performance improvements.

Shade 3D for Unity is free. The Shade Spring Sale 2013 is underway and new licenses of the commercial version are 50% off at $49.50 for Basic (regularly $99), $174.50 for Standard (regularly $349) and $374.50 for Professional (regularly $749).

The Mac OS X is immediately available for download through the Mac App Store.

The Windows version can be requested through the Mirye Software web store.

2. John-B

John-B

This looks like a potentially great, free program.

Although I'm new to Shade 3D, I have used several different 3D modeling programs and Unity. Still, after going through every menu and window and the online documentation, I can't figure out the most basic functionality. After I create an object, how do I edit its transform? In other words, how do I set an object's position, rotation, and/or scale? In every other 3D modeling program I've used, you select an object, and those 3 sets of values are available for editing. But in Shade 3D they're nowhere to be found.

I can't even figure out how to move an object by dragging it (which would be nice), but what I really need to be able to do is to set the transform values numerically. Surely there must be a way to set these values.

I did figure out how to rotate/translate by dragging. Had to turn Snap to Grid off.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2013
  3. wowcow

wowcow

I found Shade 3D a couple of years ago and got very curious to know what it is. I couldn't get used to the workflow it offers. I tried to get back to it six times and every single try took me to the decision to get back to my previous set of 3D modeling packages. Probably i'm too stupid for Shade :)
    Anyway, i'm glad to know it's available for free for Unity users, hopefully this step will make it more popular.

4. Lynn Fredricks

Lynn Fredricks

Those things are available for editing. In each viewport, you can interactively select an object and have the 3D manipulator appear. You can use those to drag / rotate to any position. You can use inputs by selecting the object and having its info appear on the lower left corner area, also you can set it by using the Object Info panel on the right - that's where you can enter numerical values.

Also, see that "123..." button at the top? Click that one.

Here's a screenshot, with my arrows pointing at the 3D manipulator controls, the tool parameters on the lower left, and the Info box on the right. I had just touched the blue rotator of the 3D manipulator, so the tool parameters change to rotate so you can numerically enter what you want.

Older versions of Shade (10.x and earlier) were very CAD-like, so you can do all sorts of transformations but the interactiveness was rather...modal. You can actually restore that if you want, but the interface now is much more accessible. You'll notice that there are various layout modes too. You can make your own by going to the Window...menu and creating a new workspace.

$6-29-2013 2-54-14 PM.jpg

5. rapidrunner

rapidrunner

Does anyone has a safe workflow to convert models in Shade to Unity via FBX?

I have some models that I did with the version 8 of Shade (it was for free on the 3d World magazine cd many years ago), and then updated it to the version 9 or 10....can't remember.

I have tried to load them with 13.2.4, and they are fine, but when I export them, I get weirdness.

In FBX export; the faces are all flipped and the materials are messed up, with stretched textures and incorrect UV

Tried to export in OBJ with materials, and in that way the OBJ has the normals in the right way, but still the materials are messed up and not associated with the textures.

Also some textures are not exported at all.

Maybe the models are too old for the new Unity version to handle? They are just few, I can make them again in a different application (I mainly use Cheetah3d), but I am curious about what can you actually do to get a good exported version of Shade models, in case that I want to model with it.

6. Lynn Fredricks

Lynn Fredricks

I am on the road at the moment, but I believe there are some notes in the online help about defaults and normals (and flipping them).

7. rama_developer

rama_developer

Could you please tell what version of Windows OS is compatible with it ?

Thanks

8. rapidrunner

rapidrunner

Thanks Lynn, will check it out and see.

Do you have any suggestions about the texture and materials? Tried all the export option and neither one opens the model with all the textures, once exported (I get the materials in some cases, but the textures are either not exported or not loaded in the material).

Thanks!

9. phamkhang993

phamkhang993

i'm glad to know it's available for free for Unity users, hopefully this step will make it more popular.
    from arab chat

10. Lynn Fredricks

Lynn Fredricks

I think you should ask over on the Shade forum on Facebook. Our super users there can give you better advice for subjects like this.

11. Lynn Fredricks

Lynn Fredricks

Windows XP SP3 is the oldest version of Windows supported.

12. nukeD

nukeD

Hey Lynn, i received a notification about Competitive Upgrade to Shade 3D ver. 14 Professional... and am thinking of taking the plunge. My question is: Does the professional version have all the features and export options of the Shade for Unity version?

Thanks man!

Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
    cas45048 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.