Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[FREE] Scene OBJ Exporter (New Version 2.0!)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by ZO5KmUG6R, Sep 24, 2014.

1. JCD666

JCD666

Gave your plugin a shot a couple of weeks ago and love it... why this isn't a standard feature of Unity is beyond me Nonetheless, for some reason I'm now not seeing it show up under the file menu and can't seem to figure out how to get it to 'run' so that it shows up there again. I'm running 5.3.2f1 on a Mac and despite reinstalling the plugin fresh from the store I can't seem to get it to show up. Any ideas?

2. Thomvdm

Thomvdm

Would this allow me to export a 4.6.1 scene to a Unity 5.x project? All I need is the objects to keep there pos/rot/scale and if possible (but not required) for all components to stay intact.

3. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

@Thomvdm why would you need an OBJ exporter for this?

Make a copy (and/or backup) of your 4.x project folder. In Unity 5.x go to open and import the new folder.
    You should absolutely work in a separate folder, though. Things might break on upgrade. Either way more things will stay intact than if you go by an OBJ export/import.

4. Thomvdm

Thomvdm

My wish is to upgrade from 4.6.1 to 5.3.3. Wouldn't a lot of things break if I do it this way, because of the big leap in versions? But I'll try it, thanks :)

5. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

It's at least worth a try. If you go the OBJ route you will have to recreate everything for sure.
    Depends on your project how many things will actually break. Maybe it's not as many as you fear for.

6. dleeds

dleeds

Like JCD666, I'm also having issues getting the plugin to appear in the File menu. I'm running 5.3.3f1.

Any tricks to getting this plugin to show up??? It worked flawlessly in past versions!

Thanks!

7. ZO5KmUG6R

ZO5KmUG6R

@dleeds, I have yet to upgrade my Unity version from when I submitted the plugin. I think I'll be upgrading really soon , then see if I encounter the same issue.

8. dleeds

dleeds

@aaro4130
    What version are you using? Perhaps I can try to install an older version to restore functionality.

Thanks!

9. dleeds

dleeds

@aaro4130
    I rolled back to version 5.1.1f1 and the plugin works now!

10. mk1978

mk1978

Was the texture export problem solved already? I have been trying to export Unity Trees (for example Nature Pack and BirchTreePackage) and I get every time the message: could not export texture : Diffuse. is it readable?

11. ZO5KmUG6R

ZO5KmUG6R

Select your textures in the asset browser, set them to "Advanced" type, and check the "Eanble Read/Write" (or whatever it's called :p)

12. mk1978

mk1978

Thanks for the tip! Now I don't get the message anymore but when exporting some rocks and Unity Trees to Blender and Sketchup the models do not have any textures or there is not even the folder with textures exported.

13. Fozz

Fozz

Great plugin. Not sure if I'm missing something, but vertex colours don't seem to be included when the obj is created. Would this be possible to add as an option?

(having asked, I'm now unsure if obj even supports vert colour in general)

14. elbows

elbows

I'm pretty sure an unofficial extension to the obj format supports storing vertex colours, but not every app that can read obj files can read this data.

15. Fozz

Fozz

Yeah, I think you're right. I'd need to go from Unity to max and back (though at that stage I could switch to fbx or another format)

16. Humdinger

Humdinger

Hi, I'm on Unity 5.3.1f1 Personal and have been struggling to get this to work...
    Is it simply not compatible with this version or what am I missing?

17. yoDon

yoDon

In case these are helpful to anyone else, here are a few tweaks I needed to make to the asset's OBJExport/OBJExporter.cs file get the exporter to work for me...

First, Unity allows spaces in object names but the .obj format doesn't:

Line 183: change string exportName = meshName;
    to string exportName = meshName.Replace(' ','_'); // NOTE: there's one space between the first two ' characters

Line 257: change sb.AppendLine("usemtl " + matName);
    to sb.AppendLine("usemtl " + matName.Replace(' ','_')); // NOTE: there's one space between the first two ' characters

Line 261: change sb.AppendLine("usemtl " + meshName + "_sm" + j);
    to sb.AppendLine("usemtl " + meshName.Replace(' ','_') + "_sm" + j); // NOTE: there's one space between the first two ' characters

Line 352: change sb.AppendLine("newmtl " + m.name);
    to sb.AppendLine("newmtl " + m.name.Replace(' ','_')); // NOTE: there's one space between the first two ' characters​

Second, the exporter bakes full disk paths (starting with "C:/") for texture files into the .mtl files which makes the exports break if the export folder is moved. It should just export the filenames of the texture files since the textures are already copied into a place where no additional pathing is required:

Line 376: change sb.AppendLine("map_Kd " + exResult);
    to sb.AppendLine("map_Kd " + System.IO.Path.GetFileName(exResult) );

Line 382: change sb.AppendLine("map_Ks " + exResult);
    to sb.AppendLine("map_Ks " + System.IO.Path.GetFileName(exResult) );

Line 388: change sb.AppendLine("map_Bump " + exResult);
    to sb.AppendLine("map_Bump " + System.IO.Path.GetFileName(exResult) );​

Third, Unity is apparently more tolerant of degenerate triangles (triangles that only have two distinct vertices) than most .obj importers are, so avoid exporting degenerate triangles:

Line 270: right before
    Code (csharp):
    2. if(faceOrder < 0)
    insert
    Code (csharp):
    2.                     if (  ( idx0 == idx1 )
    3.                         ||( idx0 == idx2 )
    4.                         ||( idx1 == idx2 ) )
    5.                     {
    6.                         // don't emit degenerate triangles
    7.                         continue; // ---- EARLY CONTINUE ----
    8.                     }
    Fourth, my scene had lots of collision meshes that weren't designed to be rendered (and that I didn't want exported). I modified the exporter to only emit meshes that were rendered in Unity. That's a specialized enough decision that the following code should probably be treated as an optional check-box kind of thing rather than just used blindly but I'm including it here in case it's helpful for others:

Line 124-143: change
    Code (csharp):
    2.         if (onlySelectedObjects)
    3.         {
    4.             List<MeshFilter> tempMFList = new List<MeshFilter>();
    5.             foreach (GameObject g in Selection.gameObjects)
    6.             {
    7.                 MeshFilter f = g.GetComponent<MeshFilter>();
    8.                 if (f != null)
    9.                 {
    10.                     tempMFList.Add(f);
    11.                 }
    12.             }
    13.             sceneMeshes = tempMFList.ToArray();
    14.         }
    15.         else
    16.         {
    17.             sceneMeshes = FindObjectsOfType(typeof(MeshFilter)) as MeshFilter[];
    18.         }
    to
    Code (csharp):
    2.         List<MeshFilter> tempMFList = new List<MeshFilter>();
    3.         GameObject [] candidates = onlySelectedObjects ? Selection.gameObjects : GameObject.FindObjectsOfType<GameObject>();
    4.         foreach (GameObject g in candidates)
    5.         {
    6.             MeshRenderer r = g.GetComponent<MeshRenderer>();
    7.             if ( r != null )
    8.             {
    9.                 MeshFilter f = g.GetComponent<MeshFilter>();
    10.                 if (f != null)
    11.                 {
    12.                     tempMFList.Add(f);
    13.                 }
    14.             }
    15.         }
    16.         sceneMeshes = tempMFList.ToArray();

NinjaISV and twobob like this.
  18. yoDon

yoDon

And one more fix - it looks like there are some scenarios involving either downloaded content or assetbundles or both where the name of a texture can be empty:

Inside ExportTexture() around line 335, change the definition of string exportName to:

string textureName = t.name;
    if ( string.IsNullOrEmpty(textureName) )
    {
    textureName = System.Guid.NewGuid().ToString();
    }
    string exportName = lastExportFolder + "\\" + textureName + ".png";

19. yoDon

yoDon

And another one, the .mtl files specify an incorrect property name for bump channels. Bump files are just bump not map_Bump in .mtl files.

Near line 400, change

sb.AppendLine("map_Bump " + System.IO.Path.GetFileName(exResult) );

to

sb.AppendLine("bump " + System.IO.Path.GetFileName(exResult) );

Note that bump is now lowercase, and this is a line that we already changed in one of the earlier bug fixes, to just export the filename rather than the full path to the file.

20. ZO5KmUG6R

ZO5KmUG6R

map_Bump is used in both Blender, and Substance Painter. I've confirmed this myself.

Regarding these issues:
    a) Not showing up in newest Unity - I am now on this version, and can look into this
    b) Empty texture names - Will fix
    c) Spaces in object names - Thought I fixed it already -shrug- will fix
    d) Full path names - Again, thought I fixed -more shrug- will fix

21. yoDon

yoDon

Blender might support map_Bump but it's not in the .obj spec which means Maya and many other packages don't support it. I recommend testing whether blender supports the official "bump" in addition to "bump_Map" (it almost certainly does), in which case you probably want to be exporting the correct "bump" form so you don't have all Maya users reporting that your asset doesn't export bumps properly.

Also, "thanks" wouldn't have been an inappropriate thing to add, but that's your call

NinjaISV likes this.
  22. AlkisFortuneFish

AlkisFortuneFish

Just a quick thing about the asset package, OBJExporter, being a ScriptableWizard, really should be in an Editor folder.

As it is, it's exported as OBJExport/OBJExporter.cs, which means that it ends up in the Assembly-CSharp.dll and associated project, rather than Assembly-CSharp-Editor.dll.

The path should be OBJExport/Editor/OBJExporter.cs, which will also make the #if UNITY_EDITOR directive unnecessary, since that project does not exist outside the editor.

twobob likes this.
  23. sadicus

sadicus

Unity 5.4
    "To perform a basic export, select File>Export>Wavefront OBJ, leave all options as default and click Export!"

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  24. ZO5KmUG6R

ZO5KmUG6R

I was thinking I should adjust the #ifdef to allow users to create OBJ exporters for runtime in their applications. It would expand the usability of the asset as well.

Hm, I'm running the latest version of Unity and can see it there. I really wonder what is causing this as many users have been reporting it :/

25. AlkisFortuneFish

AlkisFortuneFish

In that case, you could split it into two classes, one runtime class with all the guts and then an editor class with the editor interface.

twobob likes this.
  26. Eric-Chadwick

Eric-Chadwick

I can confirm the script does not finish properly, without yoDon's suggested changes.

I am using it in Unity 5.3.5f1, Windows 8.1

With the Asset Store version, I only get two lines in the exported OBJ file:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. # Export of Box
    2. # from Aaro4130 OBJ Exporter v2.0
    After adding yoDon's suggestions, the OBJ exports (mostly) properly. I get a bunch of console messages:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Could not export texture : TXT_White_Paint_ALB. is it readable?
    2. UnityEngine.Debug:Log(Object)
    3. OBJExporter:ExportTexture(Texture2D) (at Assets/OBJExport/OBJExporter.cs:349)
    4. OBJExporter:TryExportTexture(String, Material) (at Assets/OBJExport/OBJExporter.cs:310)
    5. OBJExporter:MaterialToString(Material) (at Assets/OBJExport/OBJExporter.cs:385)
    6. OBJExporter:Export(String) (at Assets/OBJExport/OBJExporter.cs:199)
    7. OBJExporter:OnWizardCreate() (at Assets/OBJExport/OBJExporter.cs:108)
    8. UnityEditor.HostView:OnGUI()
    The generated MTL file does not list the textures. The original textures are in .TGA format.

27. j2l2

j2l2

OBJ Exporter Menu is back in Unity 5.4f (not beta).
    How long/hard would it be to make it work at runtime ... in builds?
    Thanks

28. xiaomeng21

xiaomeng21

Can it export obj file during the runtime? thanks : )

29. OP3NGL

OP3NGL

cannot export materials into 3dsmax... materials marked as null..

30. WinterT101

WinterT101

I tested exporting a cube, had no issues. Tried exporting a terrain, and nothing seems to export. I'm guessing this is not designed for terrains or am I doing something incorrectly?

31. ZO5KmUG6R

ZO5KmUG6R

Terrains are different than normal meshes, so much different that I haven't implemented them at this stage for exporting.

32. WinterT101

WinterT101

Thought so. Thanks for the exporter though, works well with everything else I've tried.

33. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

@aaro4130 can i request to add ability to export the entire scenes game objects including lights (as an empty objects), and baked lightmap UV?
    This can be usefull if we want to use external apps as lightmapper and keep the generated lightmap UV from unity

34. ZO5KmUG6R

ZO5KmUG6R

OBJ doesn't support multiple UV channels, or empty objects, sorry.

35. Lowlypoly

Lowlypoly

36. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Ah too bad. alright then.

37. ostrich160

ostrich160

This is by far the best OBJ exporter Ive seen yet, shame it doesnt natively support runtime but I could certainly use it as a groundwork for that. Cheers!

twobob likes this.
  38. bsymon

bsymon

Hello !

I've a problem when opening the OBJ with Blender (see image below). I join the OBJ with it.

Thank you :)

Attached Files:

39. dobrMAN

dobrMAN

Attached Files:

40. liaoyc

liaoyc

I am very excited about your work. But I don't know how to use it [cry]. Can you make some tutorials?

41. adityapremi

adityapremi

I shall be really glad if you can make this happen. I am working on 3D scanning environments and this shall be very critical in making this happen. If this kind of feature can be implemented it shall be great for Augmented Reality applications in future. Your efforts have been amazing and I think this addition shall make it really powerful.

42. zelal

zelal

I am using Unity 5.6.2f1. But cannot get this export work. After adding a "Mesh Filter" component with Mesh: None (Mesh) to the terrain, I went to File > Export > Wavefront OBJ. Then after clicking on Export and then Save buttons in the subsequent dialogue boxs it stucks in Exporting objects .....(xx%) progress window. Console displays following error message:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    OBJExporter.Export (System.String exportPath) (at Assets/OBJExport/OBJExporter.cs:211)
    OBJExporter.OnWizardCreate () (at Assets/OBJExport/OBJExporter.cs:109)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
    Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:232)
    System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MethodBase.cs:115)
    UnityEditor.ScriptableWizard.OnGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/editor/ScriptableWizardBindings.gen.cs:83)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
    Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:232)
    System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MethodBase.cs:115)
    UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName, System.Object obj) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:262)
    UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:255)
    UnityEditor.HostView.OnGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:84)

43. CurialLloses

CurialLloses

Is it possible that Unity 2017 doesn't have the Menu File>Export>Wavefront OBJ ? I've imported the asset and can't see this option anywhere :/

EDIT: No need help, found it just where it should be :p

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  44. Humdinger

Humdinger

YoDon was extremely kind and helpful in the past with helping me with the updated script. Problem I'm having is I can never get the Menu File>Export>Wavefront OBJ option to appear. I'm using version 5.3.1f1 Personal - what the heck am I doing wrong?

45. stomp1928

stomp1928

Same here. No Menu File>Export> option at all. I'm on 5.6.3.p4. Has anyone figured out why it shows up for some and not others?

46. AceSV

AceSV

At first I wasn't seeing the Export menu. I checked the Console and saw that there was an unrelated error, some .meta files missing in a different folder. But I fixed up that error, and the Export menu returned. So I guess maybe it won't load if any errors are present. Hope that fixes it for others.

codellrob likes this.
  47. IgorAherne

IgorAherne

Hey man, thanks for the asset

I am getting an error trying to export my scene Using File->export,
    I think it's because one of my gameObjects has null material

Code (CSharp):
    1. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    2. OBJExporter.Export (System.String exportPath) (at Assets/OBJExport/OBJExporter.cs:256)
    3. OBJExporter.OnWizardCreate () (at Assets/OBJExport/OBJExporter.cs:108)
    4. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Reflection.BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at <c95265f74fdf4905bfb0d5a4b652216c>:0)
    5. Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    6. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Reflection.BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at <c95265f74fdf4905bfb0d5a4b652216c>:0)
    7. System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at <c95265f74fdf4905bfb0d5a4b652216c>:0)
    8. UnityEditor.ScriptableWizard.OnGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/editor/ScriptableWizardBindings.gen.cs:83)
    9. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Reflection.BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at <c95265f74fdf4905bfb0d5a4b652216c>:0)
    10. Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    11. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Reflection.BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at <c95265f74fdf4905bfb0d5a4b652216c>:0)
    12. System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at <c95265f74fdf4905bfb0d5a4b652216c>:0)
    13. UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName, System.Object obj) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:295)
    14. UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:288)
    15. UnityEditor.HostView.OldOnGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:107)
    16. UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.DoOnGUI (UnityEngine.Event evt) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/UIElements/Managed/IMGUIContainer.cs:198)
    17. UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.HandleIMGUIEvent (UnityEngine.Event e) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/UIElements/Managed/IMGUIContainer.cs:338)
    18. UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.HandleEvent (UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.EventBase evt) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/UIElements/Managed/IMGUIContainer.cs:322)
    19. UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.EventDispatcher.DispatchEvent (UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.EventBase evt, UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.IPanel panel) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/UIElements/Managed/EventDispatcher.cs:250)
    20. UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.UIElementsUtility.DoDispatch (UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.BaseVisualElementPanel panel) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/UIElements/Managed/UIElementsUtility.cs:256)
    21. UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.UIElementsUtility.ProcessEvent (System.Int32 instanceID, System.IntPtr nativeEventPtr) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/UIElements/Managed/UIElementsUtility.cs:78)
    22. UnityEngine.GUIUtility.ProcessEvent (System.Int32 instanceID, System.IntPtr nativeEventPtr) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/IMGUI/Managed/GUIUtility.cs:175)

Exporting Objects window is stuck on 94% saying Exporting object Plane

These are my settings

However, I am able to close the Export window, which stops the progress, but not able to export :(
    Ticking "Obj Name Add Id Num" doesn't fix it settings temp.JPG

Here is what my Plane object looks like - notice it has no material
    plane temp.JPG

48. lolclol

lolclol

I get this message: could not export texture where i have already enabled read/write check boxes for the texture.??

Any tips??

49. Zihaben

Zihaben

just butiful.
    thank u kind man!

50. giantkilleroverunity3d

giantkilleroverunity3d

I ran this to copy an prefab in Unity project 'A' hoping to import into Unity project 'B'.
    The steps works fine but the project 'B' import only creates a blank gameobject.

I also moved the .cs file to the editor folder.