Search Unity

Free/Open Source Kinect Motion Capturing Software??

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by tchpowdog, Mar 13, 2012.

1. tchpowdog

tchpowdog

Just purchased a Kinect last week (I haven't even plugged it up to my Xbox lol) to do some motion capturing. I was wondering if anyone knew of some GOOD open source / free motion capturing software compatible with Kinect. I've heard and read about Ipisoft and I'll probably download the trial version to compare with other software. I don't just want to go out and buy Ipisoft without trying other software packages. Please lend some insight! Thanks!

2. tchpowdog

tchpowdog

3. elbows

elbows

Brekel is the free one I know of, not tried it myself yet though: http://www.brekel.com/?page_id=155

You could also consider capturing directly inside Unity. Using either PrimeSenses own OpenNI Unity wrapper, or the one from Zigfu. Add scripts that capture the joint rotations root bone position (Physics to Animation tool in asset store is a good way to learn about code that will do this sort of thing). You could also augment the Kinect skeletal data with data from other controllers to improve the quality of the animation. e.g. put a phone with gyroscope, or wiimote on top of your head, send the data to Unity using OSC, and gain the ability to track head rotation and record it as part of the animation. Obviously this requires some work, but may be of interest to those who want to learn more about using the kinect inside Unity.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  4. tchpowdog

tchpowdog

Yeah I'd rather not reinvent the wheel lol But that would be good experience nonetheless. I've heard of Brekel but I don't know much about it (i.e. reliability, stability, ease of use). Does anyone know more about Brekel? Maybe someone who has used it thoroughly?

thanks for the input elbows.

5. elbows

elbows

Well Brekel looks to be free so I don't think you will beat the experience of trying it yourself. One issue you could run into with all Kinect apps is having the right version of the OpenNI stuff installed, especially as some of the Kinect apps released last year have not received regular updates.

Anyway although I haven't done much past some early Kinect motion capture experiments yet, I think people need to understand the limitations in order to involve disappointment. The Kinect/other hardware like the Asus Wavi Xtion open up a world that was not available at this price before, but they really aren't the same as the more expensive traditional motion capture solutions. And even with full-on pro mocap the best results still require a fair bit of manual tweaking etc.

But things like the Kinect can certainly be fun productive and achieve useable results, just have to take time to learn the limits and develop workarounds.

6. meshonline

meshonline

7. mtarikfidan

mtarikfidan

Hi meshonline;
    I'am working to your project but size (bvh) human size very very small. How adjust size settings
    Thank you..Very nice project