Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Free online Game Development College Courses?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DugelStudios, Dec 1, 2015.

1. DugelStudios

DugelStudios

So I've been using Unity for about a year now and have been programming for about 2 years. Right now I can do basic things like recreate Super Mario 64 or something, but nothing too complex. I want to learn more to get a job/build a portfolio. I have tried tutorials on Udemy, but they're all targeted for beginners and the more advanced ones don't go too in depth. I have also tried youtube, but that's basically the same situation as Udemy. What I really want is a structured learning environment. This is why I have been looking for online college courses. I couldn't find any good Unity/game development courses on any popular free courses websites (Coursera, Edx). I did find a page where it covered everything I wanted to know, it was basically the perfect course, but unfortunately if was around $20,000. The website was:
    http://www.snhu.edu/online-degrees/bachelors/bs-in-game-programming-and-development
    That is a little longer than what I was looking for, it's a full bachelors degree that would have probably taken me 3 years to complete. I defiantly would take it though if it was free.

So my budget is around $3000 for any online game development course. (Perferably Unity) I know this seems cheap for a college education, but that's all I can afford. The preferred length for the course is 3 months to 1 year. Difficulty doesn't matter to me, as long as it covers the topics I'm interested in. Any course that covers the topics included in the link I gave is preferred. I'm currently a Freshman in high school, so I have plenty of time to learn and build a portfolio before college.

Also It doesn't have to necessarily be a 'college course', just anyway that I learn more about game/software development and Unity. Any suggestions?

2. N1warhead

N1warhead

I'm gonna tell you what the big hotshot programmer my dad knew said.

"It's not what you know, it's who you know".
    I mean obviously you gotta understand what you're doing.
    But if you know the right people - getting a job doesn't require a degree if you can really prove your self a worthy asset for the team.

I'm not sure what he programmed, I was just a little boy when I met him. But that's what he told my father and I remember it to this day. Because I've seen it my self actually!

theANMATOR2b and DugelStudios like this.
  3. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Have you considered Lynda?
    I know they have some courses but I don't know what level of complexity they are.

4. DugelStudios

DugelStudios

I have, but they don't go any more complex than building a 2d platformer.

5. Quinnje012

Quinnje012

I let my subscription run out before I got into game development...but have you tried pluralsight? I used to watch a ton of their videos and they were all high quality in depth courses. It is not your "structured" college class setting but they might have what you are looking for.

doing a quick search on their site they have stuff on unity that ranges from beginner to advance.
    https://www.pluralsight.com/search?q=unity&categories=course

6. stalintom

stalintom

You can search in internet for Free online Game Development College Courses. There are lots of online courses available