Search Unity

[FREE] o3n UMA Race Jane & John

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by umutozkan, Jul 13, 2020.

1. GamePowerNetwork

GamePowerNetwork

That absolutely fixed the issue I was having! Thank you... and again amazing work on this asset!

hopeful and umutozkan like this.
  2. ryanflees

ryanflees

Hi, is there guide how to update the built-in pipeline assets to HDRP?
    I've bought a HDRP Jane & John pack, but other packs like the Male and Female UMA Races are of built-in pipelines, so I have to manually update them to HDRP.
    I tried to alter the material settings, but it stil has errors like this.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. AvatarBuilder 'o3nMaleAvatar_child': Transform 'Spine' parent 'LowerBack' must be included in the HumanDescription Skeleton
    2. UnityEngine.AvatarBuilder:BuildHumanAvatar (UnityEngine.GameObject,UnityEngine.HumanDescription)
    3. UMA.UMAGeneratorBase:CreateAvatar (UMA.UMAData,UMA.UmaTPose) (at Assets/UMA/Core/StandardAssets/UMA/Scripts/UMAGeneratorBase.cs:378)
    4. UMA.UMAGeneratorBase:SetAvatar (UMA.UMAData,UnityEngine.Animator) (at Assets/UMA/Core/StandardAssets/UMA/Scripts/UMAGeneratorBase.cs:328)
    5. UMA.UMAGeneratorBase:UpdateAvatar (UMA.UMAData) (at Assets/UMA/Core/StandardAssets/UMA/Scripts/UMAGeneratorBase.cs:297)
    6. UMA.UMAGeneratorBuiltin:UpdateUMABody (UMA.UMAData) (at Assets/UMA/Core/StandardAssets/UMA/Scripts/UMAGeneratorBuiltin.cs:589)
    7. UMA.UMAGeneratorBuiltin:GenerateSingleUMA (UMA.UMAData,bool) (at Assets/UMA/Core/StandardAssets/UMA/Scripts/UMAGeneratorBuiltin.cs:326)
    8. UMA.CharacterSystem.DynamicCharacterAvatar:GenerateSingleUMA () (at Assets/UMA/Core/Extensions/DynamicCharacterSystem/Scripts/DynamicCharacterAvatar.cs:587)
    9. UMA.CharacterSystem.DynamicCharacterAvatar:Start () (at Assets/UMA/Core/Extensions/DynamicCharacterSystem/Scripts/DynamicCharacterAvatar.cs:518)
    I've added the races to Global Library of UMA, but the active race of o3n Male appears "Not Available" on Dynamic Character Avatar.

Attached Files:

3. ryanflees

ryanflees

Well, I've found that it might be the conflicts of meta id that the Male&Female's RaceData referecened to Jane&John's base recipe.
    I've correct it and it appears working, but the materials not correct yet. I'm still trying to find how to make the materials right

Attached Files:

4. umutozkan

umutozkan

Hi, I never intended Jane & John to be used with o3n Male & Female and I may have copied some files from o3n Male & Female when I started the Jane & John. That's probably the cause of the conflict.

I still wouldn't use them together. It's probably a good idea to stick to one set of consistent races. (o3n Male & Female are not compatible with Jane & John. i.e. wardrobe items form one will not fit to other)

That being said, I only support Standard pipeline for o3n Male & Female. The standard pipeline shaders on the o3n Male & Female are custom and also different from the ones on Jane & John. You'll need to modify a lot of materials and shaders to make it work with the textures they use. Or will just use basic HDRP list shaders, still a lot of UMA material changes.

You may also try to make them work with Jane & John HDRP package's shaders but again, you'll still need to modify the UMA materials for the o3n Male & Female.

Unfortunately it's tedious work.

5. ryanflees

ryanflees

Thanks for the informations.

6. ryanflees

ryanflees

QQ截图20210611151944.png
    It's pretty much working in HDRP now. I've rewritten the shaders with ShaderGraph to match the parameters of built-in shaders. Un-toggle the "Translate SRP" on UMA Materials.
    The shaders need improvement, but the functions are working.

umutozkan and hopeful like this.
  7. drcfrx

drcfrx

Hi @umutozkan and thanks for this asset. I really like how you improved the DNA settings. I have an issue though, the hair appear very washed out with no glossiness at all, and same for the skin. Any idea what I have missed? Fresh install both UMA and Jane and john SRP pack and I don't think I modified something yet. Thanks!

8. umutozkan

umutozkan

Can you provide some screenshots? Do you see any errors on console? Just running on a new SRP project with default settings? Also which Unity version are you using?

9. drcfrx

drcfrx

No errors, and I'm using Unity 2019.4.24. I'll try in a new fresh project to see.

10. drcfrx

drcfrx

I reimported in a new project of Unity2019.4.24 and I have the exact same issue. Could Linear Defered cause this?

Update: I tried with the latest unity 2019.4.28 version and I have the red hair and glossiness back. It looks as intented now. Sorry for the trouble!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
  11. umutozkan

umutozkan

Cool glad it was fixed by the Unity update.

12. drcfrx

drcfrx

Thank you. Unfortunately, I updated the first project too, and the problem persist. So there something broken somewhere. Maybe something to update manually that the upgrade doesn't do. This is a project I upgrade since unity 2017 so I suppose something broke along the way. Ah well... Still it's strange that the problem also happened in a fresh project in 2019.4.24 which means that's not just my project that is broken, and that the issue carried over a new install of unity. Ah well don't sleep over this. Thanks for your concern.

13. umutozkan

umutozkan

Bummer. It's really hard to tell without knowing what's the difference. I'd check the camera renderers and the project rendering path to see they are the same and does it make any difference changing the settings. (to forward rendering path from deferred) Not sure how that plays out with URP either. Also seeing if the URP version is the same might be a good idea. I can't think of anything else. Though I am definitely not the expert.

14. drcfrx

drcfrx

I'm just using Built in, no SRPs. But you nailed it, changing (in Linear) from Forward to Deferred I get the picture above exactly (which makes sense, the 1st project I've had the issue with is in Linear Deferred). Switching back to Forward remove the issue instantly.

15. umutozkan

umutozkan

Interesting. It seems the custom shaders I have on the hair and skin doesn't perform well on deffered.
    Not sure how I can improve though. Especially hair has lots of lighting calculation, which probably breaks with the deferred rendering path.

16. umutozkan

umutozkan

17. MasterTechnologies

MasterTechnologies

Any plans to provide different LOD levels for the character models? The models look great, but having more than a handful of characters on screen is very performance demanding at full quality.

18. umutozkan

umutozkan

Maintaining multiple LODs is very time consuming, I've done it with o3n Male & Female races before. Unfortunately, I am creating these in my spare time as my day-work allows.

The second reason why I haven't tried it is that there were some talks on UMA slack/discord that it may be possible for UMA framework to generate mesh LODs in the future.

Actually part of the performance hit is from texture generation not the mesh detail. Jane & John uses a technique to accommodate vertex change normals. So basically whenever you change a DNA value, as the mesh morphs, it updates the normal map to adapt. That is done by separate "additive normal map" overlays. One for every DNA. And that's quite a few. (That is the reason you don't see a flat belly from the front, if you make your character fat by DNA. You can compare it with o3n Male & Female races which don't have this feature)

There are things you can do to improve performance on this end. UMA Generator has a value to set atlas size. If you lower it the texture performance hit will decrease. And there is a component called UMASimpleLOD. If you add it to the avatar and set it up so it kicks in by closer distances it will also help.

19. Imakhiil

Imakhiil

Hi, I just imported the asset into my project and I got the following compile errors:
    upload_2021-7-11_9-48-48.png
    Or, if you can't view the above image:
    Assets\o3n\UMARaces\Stunner\Scripts\StTestCustomizerDD.cs(157,26): error CS0103: The name 'UMAMouseOrbitImproved' does not exist in the current context

Assets\o3n\UMARaces\Stunner\Scripts\StTestCustomizerDD.cs(166,26): error CS0103: The name 'UMAMouseOrbitImproved' does not exist in the current context

I imported it right after importing UMA. Any idea what could be causing it?

20. umutozkan

umutozkan

Hi Imakhiil,
    Have you also imported the UMA asset? This asset is an add-on race for UMA2.

Imakhiil likes this.
  21. Imakhiil

Imakhiil

Yep. As mentioned at the end of my previous message ;p

It's not a breaking issue. I dealt with it by commenting out the entirety of that script. The race functions correctly (by the way, these are some of the best models I've ever used with UMA. Great stuff).

It's only a bit startling and I figured I'd mention it. Perhaps it's caused by the latest update to UMAs package on the asset store?

22. umutozkan

umutozkan

I'll check
    Sorry, I rushed to the conclusion before I see the last sentence :)

Yes, it could be a version issue. I'll check and fix it if that is the cause.

23. umutozkan

umutozkan

Hmm I thought UMA 2.12 might have changed something about UMAMouseOrbitImproved.cs but I just tested the Jane&John with 2.12 and it works fine.

Are you sure you have the latest version of Jane & John and the UMA2? (If you use Package manager to add the assets, I think there is a known bug where it fails to install the right version. I think there may be a workaround where you clean the cache somehow and import the right versions.)

24. Imakhiil

Imakhiil

I'll double check. I did indeed use the package manager. It's also a relatively big project (300k+ LOC) so if there's a known bug with the package manager, I wouldn't be surprised if it's causing issues. We had an older version of UMA before I updated it to try out your asset. I'll remove it manually and add it back from scratch.

Edit: Ah, it does seem to be a bug with the package manager. It claims UMA is on it's most recent version but a quick check in the UMA's "About" window says it's actually on version 2.10

Last edited: Jul 12, 2021
  25. Imakhiil

Imakhiil

Yup. Everything works just fine now. Thanks for pointing out the potential package manager bug.

hopeful likes this.
  26. umutozkan

umutozkan

You're welcome. I've been there it's a pretty annoying bug on the package manager.

27. pierreblanc

pierreblanc

Hi,

Very nice work, but indeed having no LODs coming with the package plays more in favor of your previous races, for someone that wants to integrate these races directly with no extra work to generate those.
    Could you maybe share your workflow or some tips to create lower resolution LODs like you did in the other races ? I found the result was pretty good, and especially interesting for mobile games / low end consoles.

28. umutozkan

umutozkan

Hi I must admit the Jane & John is heavier on the performance side than the o3n Male & Female.

And not just the lack of LOD meshes but the normal map details overlays that I used to address vertex changes by bone translations (DNA changes).

If you want to increase performance for Jane & John I have some suggestions before trying to create LODs.

1. Lower the UMA generator's atlas size.
    2. Use UMA Simple LOD script to use even lower atlas sizes when avatar is far enough. (Also mentioned it on this message here. )
    3. If you don't need to provide character customization on runtime use UMA Prefab maker to create prefabs that doesn't use any UMA runtime features, therefore really really fast.

That being said if you really need LODs you can use the content pack and use blender's decimate modifier to have lower levels of LODs. The main gotcha for doing LODs for an UMA. keeping the vertices of the different pieces on the same position. So you'll probably need to decimate the body on the unified mesh then split it on the same places to generate the body parts that's gonna be the slots. All you need to do is keeping the same naming and UMA Simple LOD script handles the mesh switching. (i.e if you have head_LOD0 and head_LOD1 slot in the global library it'll just work.) You can check how it is in the o3n Male & Female package.

But again, the cost of 30-40K poly on the body instead of 5-10K will not create wonders if you still use the same high-resolution atlas. I honestly think managing texture size is more important for performance.

29. pierreblanc

pierreblanc

Thank you for your prompt answer.

I'm relatively new to UMA in the sense that I used it quite a bit but haven't dissected its code, but as far as I understand there are 2 performance questions, the cost of generation of the avatar, and the cost of rendering the result. I'm not too worried about the generation at the moment, although yes I need realtime customization.

There are platforms were recommending polygon count is 100K, per instance some VR devices, so for characters the polycount needs to be very low, but of course texture size and shader used and render state changes plays a large role too. The point is on these platforms, poly count need to be low, so if you want a couple of characters in a complex scene, you need to keep the polycount low. Some platforms I have no experience such as Switch, but I would guess polycount needs to be low too.

In the other hand I see that creating LODs and maintaining a wardrobe with those can become a huge time consuming process, unless you actually just work everything with a single LOD. Maybe starting from your work would be the right choice since the quality is high and would save a lot of effort. I must say when using normal maps, low poly models dont look very different from high poly models unless you are zooming in like crazy on the character, which is not my case.

I have few remaining questions :

1) What about LODs and MeshHideAsset ? It doesn't seem to work, and I don't see how it could work actually. I only get the mesh hidden at one LOD in the LODTestScene. MeshHideAssets is a key for improving performance and quality in some situations.

2) Do you sell somewhere a blender scene file for for your o3n Male & Female that is more recent that the one I found on your website ?

Thanks again.

30. umutozkan

umutozkan

1. MeshHideAsset hides polygons (only make the faces invisible doesn't remove them) on a specific slot. So if you need it to work with LODs you need to create one mesh hide asset per LOD slot. (You see why having LODs have a huge impact on content creation )

2. The up-to-date blender file for o3n Male & Female races is the one on my website here. And content pack (has the blend file in it) for Jane & John is available as a paid asset here.

31. MuntyMcFly

MuntyMcFly

Is there any resources on how to get this working with a controller? I am having a lot of issues with selecting the proper avatar or actually how to even create it.

32. hopeful

hopeful

You are using this within UMA, right?

33. umutozkan

umutozkan

As hopeful pointed out, this is an "add-on" avatar (in UMA terms race) asset that requires and works with UMA.

So for the controller setup practice, it's just the same for using the stock races of the UMA.

I am not sure how your controller works so it's hard for me to guess but there are many examples in the UMA package that use a controller. You can check them to see how they are set-up.

You can also ask in UMA forum page or discord too.

MuntyMcFly likes this.
  34. MuntyMcFly

MuntyMcFly

I see and thank you I just found a perfect tutorial for this on youtube. I was using the starter asset third person controller and couldn't figure out how to access the avatar since the uma was being nested as a child component. I found out you have to disable the animator on the parent object and reference the one on the stunner asset and set the controller to be used then the avatar automatically gets picked up.

I ended up getting this sorted out :) but would appreciate any further knowledge in doing so.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2021
  35. MuntyMcFly

MuntyMcFly

Does the URP version work with Addressables? I am getting this error and everything seems to be in the global library and built.
    Unity Version: 2020.3.16f1
    upload_2021-9-24_1-20-1.png

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
  36. umutozkan

umutozkan

Hi,

The asset is a race (avatar) add on for UMA. So anything that works for UMA should work for it too. That being said I am not knowledgeable enough about the addressables to help you with this.

I'd advise you to ask for help on the UMA discord channel. It's very active and many people use addressables.

Discord invitation link: https://discord.gg/Hu374UfpfU

hopeful and MuntyMcFly like this.
  37. arie1994

arie1994

I scale limbs and neck to zero of normal characters to hide for firs person or fake dismemberment, but uma doesn't let me.Is there a way to do it anyway ?

38. umutozkan

umutozkan

Hi, I assume you scale the bone directly by code on the avatar object's skeleton right?

I can see how UMA can rebuild the skeleton and your scale modification would be gone.

The UMA way to scale a bone would be adding a Skeleton DNA Converter to the race and add a new DNA, say Dismemberment which scales the bones you need. That way you can set the DNA to the UMA avatar by code and it will work.

I would ask this same question on the UMA forum or UMA discord channel though, people may suggest other approaches to what you are trying to do.

MuntyMcFly likes this.
  39. aggaton

aggaton

@umutozkan I bought the content creation package. Following the video I have gotten to the point of loading the blender file and importing the fbx of a clothes model I want to add, however the cloth does not cover all areas when scaled down and moving it around, also it is shown in a T-pose, not A-pose like your body. How do I manipulate the mesh to fit the model, so no skin shows through and how do I change the pose of either the clothes or the body, which one is better? Why are you choosing an A-pose when everything else it seems is in T-Pose? Really annoying with the different poses. I tried selecting all connecting bones in the arm, and when I try to rotate it up, it gets all bend out of shape.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2021
  40. Jaimi

Jaimi

41. aggaton

aggaton

@umutozkan So I think I figured out how to rotate the arms of the jacket, and made it cover the body. At around 13.57 in the video
    You are mentioning to select first the jacket then the armature. However that will only deselect the jacket mesh, I am guessing you are ctrl selecting the armature? Also when I click ctrl t nothing happens, I did a right click then went into the parent submenu instead and selected With empy groups, I assume that will do the same thing? I'm on version 2.93.4 of blender maybe that is why there are differences. Next I select apply in the modifiers (which seemed to have moved into the drop down menu), however animations does not move the clothes at all, so something seem to be off somewhere, do I need to do the last things differently in 2.93.4?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2021
  42. aggaton

aggaton

@umutozkan so I try to use the stunner race in a character selector, where the default UMA model works, however it turns out all distorted and weird and crashes here

AvatarBuilder 'Leveling_UMAPlayerCharacterEntity(Clone)': Transform 'Spine' parent 'LowerBack' must be included in the HumanDescription Skeleton
    UnityEngine.AvatarBuilder:BuildHumanAvatar (UnityEngine.GameObject,UnityEngine.HumanDescription)
    UMA.UMAGeneratorBase:CreateAvatar (UMA.UMAData,UMA.UmaTPose) (at Assets/UMA/Core/StandardAssets/UMA/Scripts/UMAGeneratorBase.cs:378)
    UMA.UMAGeneratorBase:SetAvatar (UMA.UMAData,UnityEngine.Animator) (at Assets/UMA/Core/StandardAssets/UMA/Scripts/UMAGeneratorBase.cs:328)
    UMA.UMAGeneratorBase:UpdateAvatar (UMA.UMAData) (at Assets/UMA/Core/StandardAssets/UMA/Scripts/UMAGeneratorBase.cs:297)
    UMA.UMAGeneratorBuiltin:UpdateUMABody (UMA.UMAData) (at Assets/UMA/Core/StandardAssets/UMA/Scripts/UMAGeneratorBuiltin.cs:589)
    UMA.UMAGeneratorBuiltin:GenerateSingleUMA (UMA.UMAData,bool) (at Assets/UMA/Core/StandardAssets/UMA/Scripts/UMAGeneratorBuiltin.cs:326)
    UMA.UMAGeneratorBuiltin:OnDirtyUpdate () (at Assets/UMA/Core/StandardAssets/UMA/Scripts/UMAGeneratorBuiltin.cs:454)
    UMA.UMAGeneratorBuiltin:Work () (at Assets/UMA/Core/StandardAssets/UMA/Scripts/UMAGeneratorBuiltin.cs:160)
    UMA.UMAGeneratorBuiltin:Update () (at Assets/UMA/Core/StandardAssets/UMA/Scripts/UMAGeneratorBuiltin.cs:112)

I am using it in the UnityMultiplayerARPG/MMORPG Kit

This is the race data I have entered

upload_2021-11-16_20-39-56.png

upload_2021-11-16_20-25-3.png

If I replace the race in the Dynamic Character Avatar with the stunner Jane race, it looks bizarre in the editor as well, though not as bad upload_2021-11-16_20-36-43.png
    Any idea what is wrong and how to fix this? I was going to buy some more stunner uma packages besides the content creator, not sure if I should if I cannot get the base model to work.

43. aggaton

aggaton

Thanks for your reply, You are right.

44. umutozkan

umutozkan

Hey aggaton sorry for the late response(s),
    You'll rarely find a model that will fit to the body perfectly you'll always have to adjust. You may approach it a few ways:
    1. You can try to move vertices and move vertices with an "influence" diameter as I describe in the video (around 9:05)
    2. If your clothing fbx is already rigged to some other model, use the bones to get it close to the pose of the o3n model (you can even auto rig it to blender's humanoid just to be able to do this actually)
    3. You can try to pose the o3n model to fit to the model before copying weights. (And as jaimi said only move the animation bones, not the adjustment bones.)

The reason for A pose is that it is a more relaxed pose to model/fit the clothing. When you animate the character it will stand or something else, probably arms at his/her sides. When you rig a clothing in T-pose it will be more distorted when animated in a pose with arms at sides. You'll have to try and compensate for it in the T-pose, guessing the final appearance of the vertices with the weights.

45. umutozkan

umutozkan

Yes you CTRL select to select them both. The parenting keys are CTRL+P not CTRL+T. It's me causing it sound like t, so sorry about that.
    The problem with mesh not moving after you apply the modifier is most probably because of the missing CTRL+P (parenting step) before doing so.

46. umutozkan

umutozkan

It's probably because you have a base UMA and change its race to o3n race. The armatures are different and bone names don't match. The setting on the UMA Avatar object keeps the armature, causing those errors. The solution is changing the setting on the avatar so UMA recreates and gets rid of the old armature when you switch the race.
    (BTW I am assuming that the character selector is not doing anything that's specific to the base races, like specific to the bone names etc. But judging by the errors I think it's just the issue with the keep armature setting that I mentioned.)

47. aggaton

aggaton

@umutozkan Thank you for your response, and don't worry about the late response, I am just happy to get an answer :). So I think I was able to export a fbx and made a slot, however The animation of the hands and jacket looks weird, like the jacket doesn't move enough, and the hands are doing odd movements (I probably need to work on the hiding of the lower arms too). I copied weights from st_female_shirt_LOD0 is that the right one to pick, or should I pick the template_dress_female? Here is link to video https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TajCkaJZ03Xf3t_if7qWdWlQljbpQ1aT/view?usp=sharing

There is also something off about the coloring of the body, too black.

Attached Files:

48. umutozkan

umutozkan

I would use the template. Even directly from the body would be fine (the shirt is tight enough). Also, check that your quality settings are 4 bones for the #of bones that influences each vertex at least.

Not sure what might cause the dark skin, the lighting seems to be dark in the video already. Maybe too low ambient lighting?

49. hopeful

hopeful

Could the dark coloring be a gamma to linear conversion issue? Back when Unity transitioned from all free accounts being gamma-only to free accounts also getting linear color space, there were times when characters would have a "burnt" look to them. It had something to do with sRGB, but I don't recall the specifics, as I haven't had to mess with that for years now. Not sure if that's what you're experiencing, but the look reminds me of it.

50. aggaton

aggaton

I added aura2 camera and lighting to the scene and that seem to take care of the blackness.

umutozkan likes this.