Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[FREE] o3n UMA Race Jane & John

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by umutozkan, Jul 13, 2020.

1. umutozkan

umutozkan

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
    Jaimi and LSPredator like this.
  2. umutozkan

umutozkan

3. hopeful

hopeful

Very nice!

BTW, a common problem with character models is that the interior of the mouth looks like it is glowing. Way too much light gets inside.

Is there a simple fix? Or is it a complicated situation?

Oh, and can you give a quick tip / explanation as to how the detail normals help with mesh distortion issues?

4. umutozkan

umutozkan

1. I'll try to look into the inner mouth glowing and see what I can do. But the main reason is I believe the inner areas don't get the right lighting because the shadow caster is the same mesh. I am not an expert on how Unity lighting works but that is my understanding. The workaround could be having more ambient occlusion that is shadowing inner mouth, basically by texture. But that is not dynamic, as in when the character opens its mouth inner mouth will still be dark.

2. The details normals are used in this asset as a way to compensate for the normal distortion when bone changes drastically. This character's morphs are all bone poses, no blendshapes. Meaning when you modified bone position, rotation and scale drastically, as the fat DNA; normally the vertices keep their normals. Causing the shadowing to look like as it is before the morph. Take a look at o3n Male and Female race (my previous UMA races) to see how belly looks flat from forward at highest upper weight value. This race has bound color DNA setup for each of drastic changes.

So for example there is the upper weight DNA on this character. There is a bone pose bound to it, scaling adjustment bones etc, to get the mesh look like a fat person.

But also there is a color DNA bound to upper weight. When you push the upper weight higher, this color DNA increases the alpha value of an overlay that has a "vertex change from regular to fat" normal map (that overlay is already on the body but not visible when this DNA is at default value). As a result when Upper weight in its full effect, the normals are also modified to look right.

There are many color DNA's doing the same for most of the DNA sliders. Fat, muscle, belly, breast, pregnant, etc and almost all the face DNA is as such.

This might have been a little bit technical but I believe it should help you understand what the details normals do.

5. hopeful

hopeful

I appreciate you looking into the mouth issue. I'm trying to remember how I solved it in the past, but it was too long ago. I might have used a separate mesh, or maybe I made the mouth double sided?

On the normals, I'll have to download the model and get a better idea of what's going on. I think I understand the principle. You're basically fading between two normals, one for each extreme of the body slider?

6. umutozkan

umutozkan

Yeah that is the idea but technically it is not fading between two normals.
    The shader I am using has a detail normal map texture like the Standard Unity shader.
    UMA combines the "detail" normal maps on that texture which is applied on top of the main normal map. So every one of those normal maps are combined. So it is not replacing the previous normal, it is combining itself on top of it.

7. umutozkan

umutozkan

For inner mouth thing, it's possibe to use some post processing, namely Ambient Occusion (Screen space). Here is the settings I used and the result I got.

ao_innermouth.png

As I said before, another way to go is using an AO texture on inner mouth overlays. But don't like the idea because it's not dynamic. (For example, if you use expression player to stick the character's tongue out it will still look like it is receiving shadow.

Jaimi and hopeful like this.
  8. umutozkan

umutozkan

I updated the inner mouth and teeth textures for AO. And submitted a new version. It should be available in a couple of days.

9. LSPredator

LSPredator

Thank you for the awesone asset!
    But I have strange problem:
    upload_2020-7-19_2-11-14.png
    Why could this happen?

10. umutozkan

umutozkan

There could be 2 reasons for this kind of issue:

1. Some normal maps are not marked as Normal maps. The normal map files in the package are set properly though it should not happen.

2. There is an issue causing this kind of normal map issues when you edit a DNA value while the scene is running in the editor (Although when it happens to me it only affects detail normals, and the screenshot you provide looks like the main normal map is distorted). It is editor only, meaning if you build the game you will not have this. If this is the case, I am aware of the issue and trying to pinpoint what's causing this. I suspect it is some editor code causing a glitch (and it will probably need a UMA package update, it's not specific to this package). If this is the issue, if you click Body DNA button twice it should fix itself. If it is not fixing itself then probably that's not this problem.

Does this happen randomly or can you replicate this by following some steps every time? If so could you provide the steps to reproduce please? (What is your build setting, PC / WebGL, IOS etc?)

11. LSPredator

LSPredator

I don't build yet. Testing only editor. It happend every time, no matter how I edit the character.
    I found that if I remove second normal texture from skin than this issue disappear. But skin become more pixelate.
    upload_2020-7-20_1-50-37.png upload_2020-7-20_1-51-18.png upload_2020-7-20_1-52-24.png

12. LSPredator

LSPredator

Normal map settings are correct.
    upload_2020-7-20_1-57-15.png

13. LSPredator

LSPredator

Some news about this issue. It happens when I switch Build Target to android. When I switch to PC everything looks normal.
    Perhaps it's internal UMA issue.

14. LSPredator

LSPredator

15. umutozkan

umutozkan

They are not compatible. This is a completely new mesh and different UVs and different boneweights.

16. umutozkan

umutozkan

It seems like atlas detail normal shader (This is UMA shader for merging textures) is outputting a pink texture for Android. Apparently it is failing to merge the textures when build is android. I am trying to figure out what's wrong.

LSPredator likes this.
  17. umutozkan

umutozkan

The atlas detail normal shader depends on grab pass to get previous state of normal map to apply current one on top of it. And as I understand Adroid have issues with grabpass :(

I unfortunately have no solution for this now. I'll contact UMA devs and try to figure out a way to get the shader work without grabpass.

LSPredator likes this.
  18. umutozkan

umutozkan

S
    Switch the AtlasDetailNormalShader.shader with attached one and change the line 68 of UMAMaterial.cs as follows:

new Color(0.5f,0.5f,1,0.5f)

the ChannelBackground should look like this after change:

static Color[] ChannelBackground =
    {
    new Color(0,0,0,0),
    Color.grey,
    new Color(0,0,0,0),
    new Color(0,0,0,0),
    new Color(0,0,0,0),
    new Color(0.5f,0.5f,1,0.5f)
    };

This should fix the issue with the body for android. I'll have a cleaner solution added to UMA. And I think detail normals on the clothing items don't work for android. Those use standard shader's detail normal channel, maybe that is not applied for android on that shader. I'll also look into that.

Attached Files:

LSPredator likes this.
  19. LSPredator

LSPredator

It's works, thank you very much!

umutozkan likes this.
  20. LSPredator

LSPredator

Do you plan to porting them to Race Jane or create new clothes?

21. umutozkan

umutozkan

Yes but I need to create the male race first :)

LSPredator and hopeful like this.
  22. umutozkan

umutozkan

I have fixed this issue in UMA package. The next release (3.10.1) will have this fix. (please update UMA when it is out)

I also fixed the clothing not having detail normals for android. The new version of Jane (1.2) is in asset store review now.

LSPredator likes this.
  23. umutozkan

umutozkan

Stunner Jane 1.2 is out. You can use it with the shader and one line change solution I've posted before for now. Until UMA 3.10.1 is out.

24. LSPredator

LSPredator

I get 46 FPS at middle-end android device with 2048 pixels textures for skin atlases.
    That's great!
    But yes, secondary normal map at clothes is not working at android.
    Is it possible to add checkbox to UMAMaterial.cs to blend DetailNormalMap to NormalMap and remove DetailNormalMap from final material when finishing textures generation? It will save some memory and give some performance boost.
    Screenshot with FPS:
    46 FPS.png

25. umutozkan

umutozkan

The fix for it is already on assetstore (update Jane package), I changed the shaders to apply normal details manually instead of relying on standard shaders.

Unfortunately, the approach you describe (having UMA merge detail and base normal) requires an UMA package change. That's actually something I was also thinking about but as I said it is out of my control. I'll ping the UMA steering group about the idea though.

26. LSPredator

LSPredator

Thank you!
    I thought I downloaded new version, but it didn't)))
    Ok. I will try to make it myself. This feature is very important for android.

27. umutozkan

umutozkan

I've already mentioned the idea in the UMA slack channel ( https://uma-community.slack.com/ ), but I am not sure if/when it will be implemented.

BTW UMA is as you know open source, it would be great if you share your implementation if you add the feature.

28. LSPredator

LSPredator

Is it possible to animate a hair tail in physics, or is it not so easy to do?
    upload_2020-8-3_20-29-26.png

29. Jaimi

Jaimi

This is possible, and can be done several ways. (Bones/Vertex Motion/Cloth, etc). I recommend to use bones - you'll need to rig it, rebuild the slot, and then hook up the bones in the recipe. There is a sample slot for the default races that do this, so you can see what needs to be done.

LSPredator likes this.
  30. umutozkan

umutozkan

31. unity_1530229

unity_1530229

Hello, I am new to using UMA, I use o3n UMA Races Stunner Jane & John the question is that I want to use the DNA within the Android platform, when I am doing tests on the PC it works correctly but when I pass it to the device they do not load the textures . Do you know what that could be? WhatsApp Image 2020-11-11 at 12.43.44 AM.jpeg

32. umutozkan

umutozkan

Hello from the image I am not sure what I was supposed to see and what's missing (as textures)
    But if you are on Unity and your build setting is android and you can see it fine when running the scene then the issue is most likely about the build. I believe UMA global library should build the references. (This is an UMA specific thing rather than o3n races. You can get more detailed answer from UMA forum page)

Also looking at the image I think your quality settings is less than 4-bones. You should make sure all quality settings you're going to support has 4-bones or more otherwise you'll see issues like on the belly there.

hopeful likes this.
  33. unity_1530229

unity_1530229

This is what it should look like
    . avatarBien.PNG

This is the configuration that must have? or in which section appears that option?

quality.PNG

34. Jaimi

Jaimi

Yes, but you need to change all the quality levels by selecting them one-by-one.

hopeful and umutozkan like this.
  35. umutozkan

umutozkan

So as I understand there is no issue with the textures or any missing overlays, only the distortion in the belly area. That is as I said because of # of bones in quality settings.

That is the option. And as Jaimi said, in quality settings you should set it to 4+ for every quality level.

hopeful likes this.
  36. unity_1530229

unity_1530229

Thank you very much, I was able to solve the error by selecting the ultra level within the project configuration quality, but it occurs to me that I try to change the shapes using the keys within Android and it takes time to make the change of appearance in the avatar, being that on PC it loads correctly. Do you have any idea what it could be?

37. umutozkan

umutozkan

The details normal maps (there are like 60+ overlays on the caharacter) needs to be processed by the texture merge mechanism of UMA. And current UMA version uses some grab pass to do that. This is being replaced (in the UMA 2 asset) with the next version with a more efficient one that doesn't use grab passes.
    That will make it better. I am not sure how that will work on mobile though.

hopeful likes this.
  38. unity_1530229

unity_1530229

I understand, the funny thing is that this only happens to me with devices with low characteristics, in recent devices it runs perfectly. Is there an alternative that could make the application work as it should?

39. umutozkan

umutozkan

I am afraid there is a certain amount of load at character rebuild (when you alter any DNA) and because of all the normal detail overlays it's heavier than base UMA. For better detail morphing higher requirement for the device.

The good news is once the character is build it should work smoothly.

Edit: BTW the load depends on the texture size. so if you actually go to UMA_GLIB in the scene and change initial scale factor from 1 to 2 (or more) it will be faster. Though it will reduce the texture resolution by that factor.

40. umutozkan

umutozkan

41. umutozkan

umutozkan

Jaimi likes this.
  42. DR_Studio

DR_Studio

What version of UMA does this run on? I got an error about UMAmouseorbitalimproved not being in the current context. Also would there be a problem if a few edgd loops were added and weighed on the base models in the clothing making kit?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
  43. umutozkan

umutozkan

Hi, I believe I've answered one of your questions on discord, but let me repeat it here so that it may be useful for others too.

Jane & John latest version will always support the latest version of UMA. I am adding features and/or improving things if the newer UMA version provides any improvement opportunities.

Currently, the latest UMA version is 2.11.6. And latest Jane & John assets utilizes stuff only available by it. (For example, hats that switch the equipped hair's slots feature will only work properly with UMA 2.11.6)

Regarding base models in the content pack; there shouldn't be an issue adding new edge loops in the base model. But if you are modifying the base model then you'll have to recreate the body slots in the asset (clearly). Which will potentially be overwritten by every asset update etc. You're free to do it though.

DR_Studio and hopeful like this.
  44. Falondrian

Falondrian

Hello, thanks a lot for your amazing work. Could you please briefly explain the advantages of switching over to this package from the predecessor "o3n Male and Female UMA Races"?

45. umutozkan

umutozkan

Hi, Jane & John has more features like detail normal maps that adapt the normal maps with morph changes, expressions with wrinkle maps (for URP and HDRP versions) and it has improved shape and look. That comes with a cost though, it is heavier than the previous races.

Both of them are available for free and also have WebGL demos. You should check and see which one suits your needs.

o3n Male & Female
    http://static.o3n.org/demo/o3nmfuma2/index.html

Jane & John
    http://static.o3n.org/demo/o3nmfuma3/index.html

Jane & John URP
    http://static.o3n.org/demo/o3nmfuma3urp/index.html

Falondrian likes this.
  46. marcus_aggrippa

marcus_aggrippa

Hi
    Has anybody used Jane and John with EmeraldAI?

47. umutozkan

umutozkan

48. GamePowerNetwork

GamePowerNetwork

Hi @umutozkan your models look fantastic! I am however running into an issue in Unity 2020.3.1f1

First there are artifacts showing through the clothing.
    2021-06-07_LI.jpg 2021-06-07 (1)_LI.jpg

Also when I morph the character... it doesn't behave the same as the sample webgl scene on your website.
    2021-06-07 (2)_LI.jpg

The demo scene that comes with the asset shows this also:
    2021-06-07 (3).png

And finally, when I click on the wardrobe button in the sample scenes, I get this error:
    2021-06-07 (5).png

49. GamePowerNetwork

GamePowerNetwork

So sorry @umutozkan , i fixed the first 3 issues by increasing the number of bones in my quality settings. Sorry about that. However the last issue with the wardrobe button is still there.

hopeful likes this.
  50. umutozkan

umutozkan

Hi sorry I've just seen your message. I was gonna suggest the same with the bone numbers.

About the other thing, it may be related to some null items in the global library. (UMA package has some in the latest version. I've notified them already)

To fix this (if this is the cause) you can use the menu in the global library window and select the clear the invalid items, or just select rebuild from project.

Let me know if that doesn't work out for you.

GamePowerNetwork likes this.