Search Unity

[FREE] o3n Male and Female UMA Races

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by umutozkan, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Jaimi

Jaimi

It looks like you don't have UMA installed. You can get it from the asset store.

hopeful likes this.
  2. btckey

btckey

Thank you. You are right.
    Thank you. You are right.

3. SickaGames1

SickaGames1

@umutozkan Any new wardrobes coming out for the races pack? New Elf or Dwarf outfits?

4. umutozkan

umutozkan

I currently have so little spare time to work on content because of my job. Unfortunately not producing any new asset at the moment.

SickaGames1 likes this.
  5. hopeful

hopeful

It's good to have paid work. :)

6. umutozkan

umutozkan

I found some time to update my current assets for UMA 2.8.1.

Basically, this is an update for DNA, but also I merged the LOD packs for all my assets with the content package itself. Meaning you get an asset, it has LOD slots out of the box. This is also true for free o3n Races package.

The updates are sent for review, and probably will be out in a few days. If you want to buy one of my contents for o3n Races I suggest you do it now, because the packs with LOD will have a slightly raised price.

hopeful likes this.
  7. Grendelbiter

Grendelbiter

hey @umutozkan did you remove or forget to add the "o3n_male_body_muscular_recipe" on the updated package? I can't find it anywhere. Also could you take look at your umacommunity board once in a while? I made a request for an invite to the slack channel a while ago.

samuel-levine likes this.
  8. DeadSeraph

DeadSeraph

Hey there. None of the eyebrows and facial hair seem to appear on the characters properly. I posted about this in the UMA support thread, and the answer seemed to be that texture sizes might have been changed, but I haven't changed any textures in UMA or o3n? Any idea what might be going on here or how I can fix it quickly? Might be interested in picking up some of the clothes packs but I need to get this sorted out 1st. Thanks for your time.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
  9. umutozkan

umutozkan

The new update has it as a DNA slider. There is not a recipe anymore you adjust it's tone by a DNA slider.

P.S.Sorry for the late response, day work is heavy these days. I don't get a notification for posts here or UMA forum. But I do get a notification (and try to respond as soon as I am able) to the support tickets opened at o3n.org.

Best regards.

10. umutozkan

umutozkan

Hi, this happens when build setting is changed to certain environments (I know Mac OS is one, because it forces square textures I guess) or texture's max size in Unity is increased/decreased:

The fundemental reason behind it is overlays (and these values are copied to recipes when overlays are used on them), have x, y, width, height values on them. This is to scale and position a texture on top of another. These are by pixels not percentage (this is how UMA works I can't help it). So if you have a different sized eyebrow, facial hair texture it will be distorted whenever teture size is affected somehow.

Only way to work around is modify the say, "eyebrow" texture to be in the correct position on an image that is actually the same size as the base texture (head in this case). And set x, y, width, height to 0 on both overlay and recipe. This will make it so that both the textures will be affected the same by any texture change and act together.

(I recently pushed a change for eyebrows making exactly what I said, I will try to do the same with facial hair when I find the time.)

11. jvillota

jvillota

Hi... First, thanks for this amazing job. Second, please could your give me some guidance: how to use Rokoko Motion Library animations on your o3n Male and Female UMA Races???

Thanks.

12. hopeful

hopeful

UMA / o3n models should be animated just like any other humanoid model under Unity's mecanim system.

13. jvillota

jvillota

Hi, yes... Finally I did. I changed the Default Animation Controller under Race Animation Controllers and it works.

Thanks for your comment.

14. jvillota

jvillota

I am cloning some o3n models (runtime) but they did not show. I always get next error.

Exception in UMAGeneratorBuiltin.OnDirtyUpdate: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    at UMA.ColorDNAConverterPlugin.ApplyDNA (UMA.UMAData umaData, UMA.UMASkeleton skeleton, System.Int32 dnaTypeHash) [0x00105] in \Assets\UMA\Core\Scripts\DNAPlugins\ColorDNAConverterPlugin.cs:117
    at UMA.DynamicDNAConverterController.ApplyDNAPrepass (UMA.UMAData umaData, UMA.UMASkeleton skeleton) [0x00078] in \Assets\UMA\Core\Scripts\DynamicDNAConverterController.cs:238
    at UMA.UMAData+UMARecipe.PreApplyDNA (UMA.UMAData umaData, System.Boolean fixUpUMADnaToDynamicUMADna) [0x00091] in \Assets\UMA\Core\StandardAssets\UMA\Scripts\UMAData.cs:899
    at UMA.UMAData.PreApplyDNA () [0x00001] in \Assets\UMA\Core\StandardAssets\UMA\Scripts\UMAData.cs:1197
    at UMA.UMAGeneratorBuiltin.PreApply (UMA.UMAData umaData) [0x0000b] in \Assets\UMA\Core\StandardAssets\UMA\Scripts\UMAGeneratorBuiltin.cs:395
    at UMA.UMAGeneratorBuiltin.HandleDirtyUpdate (UMA.UMAData data) [0x00077] in \Assets\UMA\Core\StandardAssets\UMA\Scripts\UMAGeneratorBuiltin.cs:207
    at UMA.UMAGeneratorBuiltin.OnDirtyUpdate () [0x00002] in \Assets\UMA\Core\StandardAssets\UMA\Scripts\UMAGeneratorBuiltin.cs:280
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogWarning(Object)
    UMA.UMAGeneratorBuiltin:OnDirtyUpdate() (at Assets/UMA/Core/StandardAssets/UMA/Scripts/UMAGeneratorBuiltin.cs:296)
    UMA.UMAGeneratorBuiltin:Work() (at Assets/UMA/Core/StandardAssets/UMA/Scripts/UMAGeneratorBuiltin.cs:137)
    UMA.UMAGeneratorBuiltin:Update() (at Assets/UMA/Core/StandardAssets/UMA/Scripts/UMAGeneratorBuiltin.cs:100)

If someone know how to fix it, please give me some guidance

15. umutozkan

umutozkan

Hi I am not sure about how cloning at runtime works for UMA. I think you might get a better answer if you asked on UMA Unity forum page or UMA community board.

16. Smurfj3

Smurfj3

Hello first off I want to say this asset is awesome, I hate the fact I only found out about this asset now. Anyways I have 2 questions. 1. Is this asset okay to use for commercial use? 2. I design my own clothing etc, I have no problem rigging it for o3n and implement the clothing. It works all perfectly fine, however if I want to hide certain base slots like the feet for the shoes I made, it will only let me hide o3n_female_feet_LOD1 for the "o3n Female" race, how do I make sure the feet are hidden for every LOD and better yet how do I implement my clothing so that it works with o3n's LOD system because I would love to use the LOD system to create some higher and lower polygon clothing pieces.

17. umutozkan

umutozkan

Hi I'll start to answer in order:
    1. It is perfectly ok to use for commercial use.
    2. You need one mesh hide asset for each LOD slot and have it all on the recipe that is hiding the feet. A more simple approach is to have alpha overlays on the hiding recipe. There are examples of it in the package. Alpha texture will hide the mesh making it transparent. And since all the LOD slots use the same texture you only set it up once. Downside is it only works for hiding base slots that are on the base recipe. For any other slot you'll have to go with mesh hide asset way.
    LOD system is not o3n special btw. It's coming from UMA package. When uma LOD script is on the avatar, it checks the library for the equipped slot's lods. And that is done with the slot name. Slot name property is setup such that <slot_nam>_LOD0, <slot_name>_LOD1 etc. Then script automatically switches them (when switch slot is marked).

18. RealidadEmpoderada

RealidadEmpoderada

Is there any documentation about o3n Male and Female UMA Races?

19. umutozkan

umutozkan

Hello,

No there are demo scenes provided in the package that shows how the scene is setup.

It's actually 3 steps to get a scene ready.
    1. Just add o3n folder to the UMA Global library (open global library window from UMA menu and drag the o3n folder to the area)
    2. Drag UMA_DCS.prefab from Assets/UMA/Getting Started folder
    3. Drag a character prefab from one of the race folders (male/female) for example Assets\o3n\o3nBaseUMARaces\Races\o3nFemaleRace\Prefabs\o3nFemaleDynamicCharacterAvatar.prefab

That's it.
    Please keep in mind that o3n races for UMA asset is just a race package that uses UMA in the background. Please check UMA documentation for the things that are not specific to o3n races.

Jaimi and hopeful like this.
  20. RealidadEmpoderada

RealidadEmpoderada

Hello,
    Thanks for your answer.
    I understand and I just using the o3n avatars with Photon and in my application environment. In our application the avatars will need to change the DNA on the fly. This is one of the reason why I decided to use o3n characters.

I understand that for change the ADN in runtime, I must to use the DynamicDNAConverterCustomizer gameObject. Is it correct?

I checked that using DynamicDNAConverterCustomizer gameObject when the scene start, the Rigidbody component is loaded. But with preset values of the parametes of the components. Where may be defined another parameters for setup the component? Or it must be done later?

21. umutozkan

umutozkan

I know it is possible to modify the DNA at runtime. For o3n races it is all bound to the UMA framework under the hood. I have theoretical knowledge especially when it comes to manipulating UMA at runtime by code.

You can get more information at UMA forum page (https://forum.unity.com/posts/5137748/) about modifying DNA at runtime. (Maybe it is in the documentation even.) You might check the demo scenes too they have sliders on the UI that modify the DNA at runtime. There must be stuff that you need in those methods called from UI.

22. umutozkan

umutozkan

Jaimi, hopeful and kenamis like this.
  23. hopeful

hopeful

FWIW, I'm always interested in what the various issues are in getting a better character model, so if you ever want to drop a brief note or two of your "developer's journey," I think it would be interesting to read.

24. umutozkan

umutozkan

When I looked back at what I have created I always see the flaws in them. There is always something that you say, "I should have done this like that and it would be better". (I think you know what I mean when you looked at them side by side in the picture above)

For UMA races what I am trying to create is a realistic model, that looks beautiful, and also can morph realistically. And facial expressions should be realistic as much as possible too.

There are a few important things for achieving this.
    1. The shape of the body: apparently the shape of the body must be realistic, proportions should be right and it should be well... beautiful I guess.

2. The topology: The topology should have a few things. It should have enough polygons so the model looks right close-ups too. Better if you have LODs to support multiple levels of detail for performance too. Also, it should have such flow that when morphs are applied it would still look good. Good topology is also important for animations too.

3. Weight-painting: This is very important and highly coupled with skeleton structure. The number of bones and places of them defines how good your model will morph but it is also overhead, so you don't want to add too many bones.

4. Maybe the hardest part is putting all these together and make it work with each other. And usually you want the old stuff to work with the new model too. There are two options, you can either sacrifice from the betterness of the new model or sacrifice backwards compatibility. (I had to sacrifice backwards compatibility, as in this race won't be able to use the o3n races' or UMA's content)

25. hopeful

hopeful

I like efficiency, but I'm generally in favor of high poly base models. It's like with textures: it's easier to go from a high resolution source to a low one, than it is to go the other direction. Also, when a game developer creates slots for UMA, they have control over the number of polys in their slots, so if they want, they can replace the torso or limbs with lower poly slots, lower poly clothing, and run more efficiently that way.

I also think we should be able to compensate for high poly source models by using LOD, and maybe a shorter camera distance for LOD0, forcing LOD1 to be in use more of the time.

In my game, for a proper tactical view, nearly all of the time a player's camera would be far enough back that all characters would be at LOD1, 2, and 3. Generally, you'd have to zoom in during a non-combat moment in order to see a character at LOD0. Aside from that, you'd also see LOD0 in the player's character generation/selection scene, and maybe in cutscenes. So for efficient use of memory, I would probably delete all of the LOD0s during play, and re-generate them only when a close-up is needed.

26. umutozkan

umutozkan

That's what I usually consider when creating LODs.

The new model has more polygons than the previous one. Also UMA LOD script replaces the slots. So when I add LODs it will all be handled by UMA.

hopeful likes this.
  27. hawk-hawk-studio

hawk-hawk-studio

Hi! First of all, congratulations for this asset, it looks nice. I have downloaded it, but it doesn't work yet, I will check why next days because I didn't have enough time to do it since I downloaded it.

I have a small question, I want to use it in a mobile game, could I just generate the bodies of the characters and import it into my project? Or should I include the whole packet to generate them with their physical characteristics each time I start a scene?

Thanks!!

28. umutozkan

umutozkan

Hello, this is an extension asset to the UMA Character system (UMA2 to be exact) you need that asset for it to function. I'd suggest checking UMA first because it is not just a model to drag to your screen, this is a complete character customization system.

SecretAnorak's youtube channel has a lot of useful videos about this system. UMA might look a little scary at first but it's not as complicated as it looks. And it's so powerful you'll love it when you get the hang of it.

(This video should get you started
    but I really recommend SecretAnorak's video series)

And regarding instantiating; as a short answer, there are ways to save a character as a text for example and load it up at the start. But there is more than one way probably. The best place to ask is UMA Unity forum page or UMA community forum website.

There is also the UMA slack channel.

Best regards.

hopeful likes this.
  29. digitalerr0r

digitalerr0r

Hi,
    I'm using your assets in my game, and have purchased some of your packages. I need to extend the pack a bit with some glasses and so on. I use Blender 2.8, but have trouble exporting the model using your base blender file for the male and female o3n models.

Do you know what settings I need to use to export things correctly? It seems only the axis is wrong.
    1.png

2.png
    I have tried exporting the FBX using Anoraks FAQ video, where I need to adjust the default axes set by the exporter, but no difference.

Maybe the blend file is based on an older version of blender, and I need to do some magic to make it work?

Thanks a lot for your assets!

30. umutozkan

umutozkan

This is my settings.
    But you also need to make sure the objects are applied all the rotation position scale. (CTRL+ A if I remember right)
    fbx_settings.png

hopeful likes this.
  31. foolish-frost

foolish-frost

Hey, I have a question or you about shaders. I just finished converting the UMA core system to use the Universal render pipeline, and after getting it worked out, loaded your characters. Seems like the 03m characters use custom shaders that don't have a direct Unity URP conversion path. Any thoughts on this?

32. umutozkan

umutozkan

My shaders are based on standard shaders. They will not work on URP. What you can do is changing materials to use the standard lit for URP. You might need to do some modifications on overlays to match the textures you arrange on the material though.

Another way could be creating some shader graphs to match the texture names as well as adding additional functionality. (As in copying some functions in the original shaders to the graph as custom nodes)

Unfortunately, I don't have anything readily available.

33. foolish-frost

foolish-frost

No problem. Doing just that.

34. Deleted User

Deleted User

Thanks for these uma races, they look amazing, I especially like the range of the weight dna. URP support of your shaders would be perfect!

MasonWheeler likes this.
  35. umutozkan

umutozkan

Hey thanks.
    Actually URP support is there. UMA does support URP now (for last few versions)
    But you need to change the materials and overlays to use it.

I think standard shader corresponds to Lit Shader for URP. You need to change the Materials set to the UMA materials to use the Lit Shader.
    Then you need to modify UMA materials texture channel's to use Lit Shader's keywords. (Matching overlay texture channels to shader's texture keywords)
    And finally you need to modify all overlays that use that UMA material and make sure textures are right for new material texture channels.

It is a bit of work but it is technically possible.

Deleted User likes this.
  36. umutozkan

umutozkan

37. Velo222

Velo222

Hi umutozkan,

Is there any chance you could work on including HDRP compatible materials/shaders? I know that was asked above for URP, but just adding my voice to this. Does UMA need to change their shaders before o3n can change it's materials and shaders? Or can o3n be separate in terms of this?

The really main annoyance is when I convert the provided o3n shaders to the HDRP>Lit shader, the textures disappear and I have to try to find what texture went where...... and that is very hard with all of the UMA/o3n folder hierarchies -- and trying to keep track of what texture went with what material.

On top of this changing all of the overlay numbers to fit the materials, and changing the names, is very annoying as well. I have it mostly done, but there's still a material I don't have right yet -- and the UMA character's body is just grey (i.e. no texture for some reason).

Anyways, long story short, it would be great if you could somehow make o3n HDRP ready and compatible.

Just adding my two cents, thanks!

38. umutozkan

umutozkan

Hi Velo,

First off o3n doesn't depend on base UMA for this. The shaders/materials can be added without any base UMA change. (UMA framework itself supports URP/HDRP although its materials are not for URP/HDRP either).

The issue here is this: UMA materials that reference materials are referenced by UMA overlays and UMA slots. Even if I created new UMA materials that are using URP/HDRP materials/shaders then users would need to go through all the overlays and slots and update them to use the URP/HDRP material.

It's not easy to support both standard and URP/HDRP without duplicating all the slots and overlays. That is why I provided the standard ones only.

And in addition to that standard URP shader would typically would have 3-4 texture channels, albedo, normal, metallic (occlusion) on the other hand some materials I use (namely skin material) has some additional channels like skin mask and some utility textures. So you would probably need to modify overlays to match the texture count too.

All in all, it depends on your shader material setup and it should be modified per project's specific needs. It's simply not possible to support all the combinations out of the box without duplicating all the assets for each setup.

39. Velo222

Velo222

Ok thanks for the reply. I was able to convert all of them successfully, it just took a long time to pick out all of the troublesome overlays.

I know it would be some work for you, but I still think it would be good to support HDRP at some point in the future. In any case, I'm just glad it still works.

Toymaker and umutozkan like this.
  40. Toymaker

Toymaker

With all due respect, it's my understanding that they intend to do away with the standard render pipeline entirely at some future point (unless I'm wrong). Won't the materials need to be upgraded anyway?

41. umutozkan

umutozkan

And when they do I'll be updating the assets to work with URP only.

There are still many people using the standard pipeline, I am just saying I can't maintain 2 (or more) packages for each pipeline setup. I released it with the standard pipeline which I think is being used by more people at the moment.

But as I said if you decide to go with URP there is nothing that prevents you from updating the sahder/materials and use it.

Toymaker likes this.
  42. hopeful

hopeful

Standard render pipeline is going to be around for at least two more years, as it is part of 2019 LTS, and probably at least more years, as it's likely to still be supported under 2020 LTS.

43. skowronski

skowronski

Hi, I am experiencing some issues/glitches in my project when changing UMA Data. A good example for this is changing the Breast Size on female avatars. Here are two example images, the first one shows the avatar with default values, the second one with size set to 1.

When I create an empty project and only import o3n, then everything works correctly. Do you have any idea what could cause this issues?

44. umutozkan

umutozkan

Hard to say anything without knowing more about what is different between a clean o3n install and your project. But the first thing I'd check would be how many bones can affect each vertex (a quality setting)
    It must be >= 4 always otherwise bones will not morph the mesh properly.

hopeful likes this.
  45. skowronski

skowronski

Thanks for the quick answer. Your hint took me in the right direction, but it gets weirder somehow. It is in fact rendering the avatar with a bone quality of 1. I checked it against the clean o3n install.

However, the bone quality is set to 4 in the project and if I manually change this setting it does not affect the model at all. Is there some kind of global setting that could override the bone quality for all models?

Edit: Found the solution. I am working on a project for the HoloLens 2 using Microsoft's Mixed Reality Toolkit. The MRTK has a general rendering quality setting, which affects skinned mesh renderers. By setting this to a higher value, it works.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
    umutozkan likes this.
  46. umutozkan

umutozkan

Glad you sorted it out! Whenever I see a malformed mesh first thing I think is bone quality ;)

47. Batataglins

Batataglins

Hello.
    I'm working on a project that uses UMA (with o3n race) and AvatarSDK, but we are using old versions of those assets. Since the AvatarSDK 2.0 have integration with UMA2, we are looking to update our project.

I need to know if there's any incompatibility of o3n race and AvatarSDK. I think it should not have any, but lets make sure before any further step.

48. umutozkan

umutozkan

Hey Batataglins,

I never used Avatar SDK. Unfortunately, I have no idea. But if I were you I'd just do a dry run with a simple project. o3n races and UMA is free so you can put together something for that kind of check.

That being said, o3n races is just a race pack for UMA. It's just another 3d model along with its own DNA, overlay, slot assets etc. So I'd say anything that works with base UMA should work with o3n races. I'd ask the same question on UMA forum page or discord channel or slack channel. Maybe you can find someone else who has worked with Avatar SDK even if not with o3n races.

49. Swindger

Swindger

Hello! Just trying to do the same, without succes. especially the Stunner Races look great, and I would love to use them in an URP project. But changing the materials to URP lit deletes all references to the original textures and I have no plan which texture has to be applied to which material ... sorry, seemy s to be above my limits. Maybe someone has a kind of workflow for me?

50. MasonWheeler

MasonWheeler

I just downloaded this package, imported it, and loaded up the "DemoScene" scene. When I go to run it, it gives me errors:

upload_2020-10-24_19-8-42.png

This is a clean install fresh out of the box, with a fresh install of UMA. Any idea what's going on?