Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

[FREE] o3n Male and Female UMA Races

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by umutozkan, Oct 8, 2017.

1. SickaGamer

SickaGamer

high quality textures. UMA characters with 4k skin.

2. kenamis

kenamis

To be clear, UMA doesn't manipulate any shader properties. The color tinting on UMA is baked into the texture during atlas generation. This allows any shader to be used with an UMA. So, if you want to manipulate any of those shader properties shown in your screenshot you can do it just like with any other model/material. Grab a reference to your material and use the appropriate "Set" function, eg "SetColor (https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Material.SetColor.html)".

I could see maybe a system to allow you to hook up DNA or a shared color to a shader property to be controlled from, but it'd be superficial, is that what you were thinking of?

umutozkan likes this.
  3. umutozkan

umutozkan

The current textures are 2k I believe higher resolution ones can be created. UMA merges the textures into an atlas though. That atlas size can be controlled on the UMAGenerator object in the scene. (That allows you to scale down).

4. Harekelas

Harekelas

Yeah, I was thinking to be able to use UMA's shared color to control the material color. If I write my own script to handle the color, I may not be able to get the correct material since the whole mesh renderer is generated in runtime.

5. hopeful

hopeful

Can you regenerate the UMA with a different color? UMAs generate pretty quickly.

6. kenamis

kenamis

If you put your script on the UMA object, then wait for the UmaUpdated event, use UMAData.GetRenderer(0) to get the first (and usually only) skinned mesh renderer. If you join the UMA Slack group we can help you write the script. That would probably be faster than waiting for a system to be built.

umutozkan and hopeful like this.
  7. Harekelas

Harekelas

Oh thank you! I know what to do now. If i got the renderer then I can compare the name in its materials and find the correct one.

8. Velo222

Velo222

Hi, I just installed the "o3n Male and Female UMA Races" package, and immediately upon import I am getting 4 errors. I am somewhat new to UMA so maybe I need to do something?

A couple of the errors are: "The type or namespace name `CharacterSystem' does not exist in the namespace `UMA'. Are you missing an assembly reference?"

"The type or namespace name `DynamicCharacterAvatar' could not be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?"

Also, I can't find the UMA Global Library Window, but that is not as important right now I think.

Thanks for any help or information. :)

Edit: *Ok I just realized in order to get the global library window I just needed to upgrade my UMA 2.0 system to the latest version, now I see the Global Library option. Also I had to completely delete the old UMA system in order to get this all to work, which is kind of not good for my project. Is there a way to upgrade by overwriting, or do I have to completely remove the UMA system from my project everytime I want to upgrade?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
  9. umutozkan

umutozkan

You shouldn't be required to remove UMA to upgrade it. I upgrade UMA all the time. Though when I delete UMA folder then reinstall UMA all I need to do is going to global library window and add all the assets to global library.

Your project shouldn't be a affected by it unless you changed/customized UMA files.

10. Velo222

Velo222

Ok thanks. I guess for now, I just completely re-installed the new version and now everything is working fine. Although now I have to learn the new system of course. Thanks for your reply :)

umutozkan likes this.
  11. Grendelbiter

Grendelbiter

Hi, I'm trying to create some pants for my o3n UMA but I'm not getting the mesh hider to work correctly. I'm using the LOD models, I've created a mesh hider for each LOD part of the legs but nothing is working. Here's a screenshot of my setup: https://imgur.com/7ZZ5pFj

12. umutozkan

umutozkan

Hey,

This is not specific to o3n races. If you tried to use LOD with mesh hiding for base UMA it would be the same.

Mesh Hiding feature is not developed with LOD n mind. I recently reported the issue in UMA Slack channel. I am not sure if it is being looked at though.

Could you post the issue in new UMA Community Forum. https://umacommunity.boards.net/board/4/community-support

13. Velo222

Velo222

Hi umutozkan,

I have a couple of questions. First, whenever I generate an o3n UMA character during runtime, I get this warning: "Skeleton has 313 bones, may be an error with slots!". But I don't get this error at all when I use the default HumanMale and HumanFemale, or the DCS Male and DCS Female.....just the o3n races. The full path error is as follows:

Code (CSharp):
    1. Skeleton has 313 bones, may be an error with slots!
    2. UnityEngine.Debug:LogWarning(Object)
    3. UMA.UMAGeneratorBuiltin:UMAReady() (at Assets/Standard Assets/UMA/Core/StandardAssets/UMA/Scripts/UMAGeneratorBuiltin.cs:356)
    4. UMA.UMAGeneratorBuiltin:HandleDirtyUpdate(UMAData) (at Assets/Standard Assets/UMA/Core/StandardAssets/UMA/Scripts/UMAGeneratorBuiltin.cs:251)
    5. UMA.UMAGeneratorBuiltin:OnDirtyUpdate() (at Assets/Standard Assets/UMA/Core/StandardAssets/UMA/Scripts/UMAGeneratorBuiltin.cs:265)
    6. UMA.UMAGeneratorBuiltin:Work() (at Assets/Standard Assets/UMA/Core/StandardAssets/UMA/Scripts/UMAGeneratorBuiltin.cs:132)
    7. UMA.UMAGeneratorBuiltin:Update() (at Assets/Standard Assets/UMA/Core/StandardAssets/UMA/Scripts/UMAGeneratorBuiltin.cs:97)
    I did use the "Bone Builder" tool in order to generate a skeleton for my DynamicCharacterAvatar guy, but it seems to work with other default races, just not the o3n ones apparently. Do you know what might be causing this warning/error?

Secondly, I purchased the o3n LOD package, and while it works, I'm getting horrible lag spikes whenever the camera leaves the UMA characters (i.e. goes offscreen) AND when the camera comes back and the UMA characters reappear back on-screen. I profiled it, and it seems to be due to Garbage Collection spikes for some reason (at least I think so), but I don't know why that would be happening when UMA characters go off screen and come back on?

Any ideas on either of those problems? Let me know if you need more info.

14. umutozkan

umutozkan

Could you provide a simple scene as a unitypackage so I can look at it? These are looking like issues I'll have to get help from UMA devs.

Would you consider posting this in the new UMA Community Forum? I'll follow it there but it would be easier for UMA devs to follow it also. https://umacommunity.boards.net/board/4/community-support

15. Velo222

Velo222

Ok thanks. It's quite late here now, so I'll probably do this sometime tomorrow or this weekend. I'll be sure to post in the UMA Community forums. Sending my project to you might be a bit more difficult, as I have several purchased assets in it at the moment. If I can, I'll send it to you. Thank you. :)

16. umutozkan

umutozkan

I don't need the entire project actually, just the stuff you are having dificulty with. Like a simple scene that creates the avatar at runtime the way you are doing in your project. The same scene probably would have the same lag spikes I assume.

Just put the scene and scripts that are used in the scene in a folder and export the folder only as a unitypackage. The scene should use only the basic stuff in o3n Races package (not your paid assets etc) so I will be able to run it.

17. umutozkan

umutozkan

I just doublechecked, the o3n skeleton has 173 bones. It's really weird that it says it is 313. Some wardrobe items might be misconfigured maybe? Base UMA model has 156 bones on it. Just a wild guess but could you be using some slots with UMA skeleton?
    That could be caused by the bone builder building the bones for the base UMA instead of o3n UMA avatar too.

It would be best if you provide steps to recreate the issue. Starting with a clean project with UMA and o3n races in it.

18. Velo222

Velo222

Hi Umutozkan,

I'm still looking at this, and testing some things, trying to see what's going on. Thanks for following up on it. I hope to get around to giving you more info (and a project to work with), but I'm not sure exactly when I'll have time to do it. Hopefully tomorrow, but it's kind of hit and miss for me right now.

I actually found out through profiling most of the insane framerate spiking I was experiencing was simply due to me having a dual monitor setup, and vsync. If I turn off my second monitor, the large frame stuttering disappears. I guess simple things like that can cause problems too.

Anyways, that's why I'm trying to test as much as I can on my end. I still am getting the 313 bones error though for now.

umutozkan likes this.
  19. Velo222

Velo222

Hi Umutozkan,

Ok, I resolved my "skeleton has 313 bones" warning issue. You were right, I was using the generated bones from the default UMA race, and not using the o3n ones I guess. I simply let the UMA system generate the bones at runtime, and then scaled up those bones instead of using my prefabed one, and I don't get any warnings anymore. Which is excellent. So most of my issues from my previous post are solved, thank you.

I did run into some other problems though. The main issues now are that the Female Long Hair (LOD1) seems to somehow have the inner mouth textures mapped onto the bottom portion of the hair for some reason (when the textures are atlased). Here is a picture:

UMAHairTextureProb1.png

Is there a way to fix this?

My second problem is that the Mouth hangs open. Which I remember being a problem before, and is a normal UMA problem, not o3n I think, but I can't remember how to fix it. So any ideas on this? Thanks for your help.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
  20. hopeful

hopeful

Jaw open is the default setting in mecanim humanoid. Activating expressions on UMA will cause it to close, or you can disable the jaw in mecanim.

Velo222 and umutozkan like this.
  21. umutozkan

umutozkan

The mouth open problem is a general unity problem that is caused by the jaw bone's default position being open. And if you don't have a jaw bone on your animation your avatar uses the default position.

You can use the UMA expression player on the avatar, that should shut the mouth. Or you can add a jaw bone to the animation file which is a lot more work than the expression player solution.

For the inner mouth texture being on the hair I can't imagine how that could happen. I've just put those items on my avatar and nothing like that happens. You didn't accidentally edit the recipes somehow right?
    o3nfemale.png

22. Velo222

Velo222

Hi Umutozkan,

The jaw issue is solved now for me, thank you. I see you saw that in the general UMA forum :)

So, for the inner mouth texture being on the hair...….I did mess with the uma slots and shaders a bit. I bet I did something wrong...but I'm not sure what exactly. I was trying to get fewer drawcalls from the materials, so I changed all of the material assets I could to use only 2 texture slots (an albedo and a normal map basically).

I bet when I was changing things I did something to mess it up. Any idea what would make it map incorrectly though? Or if there's a way to simply turn off the inner mouth texture from displaying? I don't need it for my game, it's kind of a top down (lots of characters on screen) type of game. I don't need the inner mouth basically.

23. umutozkan

umutozkan

I really have no idea. Maybe you should ask this on the UMA forum where someone more knowledgeable than me on that can help.

hopeful likes this.
  24. umutozkan

umutozkan

First hair packages are in review now.

female_fantasy_hair.png

male_fantasy_hair.png

25. umutozkan

umutozkan

26. umutozkan

umutozkan

27. ArseneySorokin

ArseneySorokin

Hi, I've started using UMA recently and downloaded this package because the base models are better for my use-case (specifically the ability to have avatars that are much more fat than what the basic UMA DNA would allow).

I am, however, having a lot of trouble integrating any wardrobe recipe that isn't directly made by you and that's a big drawback.
    For example, using the basic UMA hair recipe makes the hair too large for the head and I can't get the pants to animate at all.
    Could you please make a tutorial on how I can convert the basic UMA recipes to work with the o3n races? I'm struggling a lot.

Attached are some screenshots demonstrating my issues.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

Wolfmoss likes this.
  28. umutozkan

umutozkan

Hi, I have posted on UMA community forums about the o3n Races here https://umacommunity.boards.net/thread/10/male-female-custom-races-free

Quoting from there "The models are different from base UMA in both shape and weight painting. So that means the content for base UMA male and female will not fit o3n Races. (It would need to be edited and fitted / weight painted in a 3d program) On the other hand the UV for the body is the same for base UMA models which means the textures for UMA Base Models' body could be used for creating "overlay only" wardrobe items for o3n Races."

In short, if you want to use a wardrobe item from base UMA to be available for o3n races you need to :
    1. Find the 3d model of that wardrobe item (or find a way to export it from Unity)
    2. Open it in a 3d program like .blender
    3. Use o3n races' blend file to rig that 3d mesh to o3n skeleton. (blend file here : http://www.o3n.org/o3n-male-and-female-uma-races-2/)
    4. Export the fbx file (export settings here: https://umacommunity.boards.net/thread/15/race-blender-export-settings-script )
    5. In unity use UMA's slot builder to create sots and recipes out of it.

It is hard to do but it is the only way. There is no way to directly use the wardrobe items by just some modifications in Unity. Since the shape and the weight painting is quite different. On the other hand that was the only way to achieve realistic morphs like the fat one, you have mentioned.

Wolfmoss likes this.
  29. umutozkan

umutozkan

30. fnndo

fnndo

Hi. I'm testing your asset and its great. But I'm having a problem that its the first time I see with Unity. It only happens with "o3n male" as the active race on the "Dynamic Character Avatar" and not with "o3n female".

I googled about this but there is not much information. This is the error I'm getting:

ERROR ArgumentException: Getting control 1's position in a group with only 1 controls when doing Repaint. Aborting
    WARNING Unexpected top level layout group!
    Missing GUILayout.EndScrollView/EndVertical/EndHorizontal?

ERROR GUI Error: You are pushing more GUIClips than you are popping. Make sure they are balanced)

The error only appears once after hitting play. After that I can resume the scene and then works fine.

I'm attaching some images to give more context. Please note that the o3n folder was added to the Additional Indexed Types of the UMA Library.

Screenshot from 2018-11-23 01-56-56.png Screenshot from 2018-11-23 01-59-04.png

31. umutozkan

umutozkan

Hello, this looks like an error on the editor inspector window's paint. It is an editor issue and not affecting anything really. It should be gone if you restart Unity.

hopeful likes this.
  32. fnndo

fnndo

Thank you very much, you were right :D

umutozkan likes this.
  33. philvanzu_unity

philvanzu_unity

Hi, I'm loving your models for the ability to make fat characters. Huge improvement on the base UMA model. Thank You.

I'm looking into making some clothes and hairstyles of my own. No problem with the clothes so far but the hair is something else because there are so many bones in the face and we have only the head to transfer weights from and it's skinned for face animations, which hair and hats should not react to. I've been trying to skin just with headAdjust and neckAdjust but when the head grows with the child slider, the hair does not.

What's the logic to differentiate the bones for character customisation and those for face animation?
    Or maybe you could include the skinned long hairs from your free UAS package with your base models .blend so we could transfer weights from it? I only found a prefab with the hair and I'm not sure how I could get it with skinning info into blender.

Still pretty new to UMA, sorry if I'm missing something obvious.

Wolfmoss likes this.
  34. SickaGamer

SickaGamer

Is there a UMA boob package out there?

35. umutozkan

umutozkan

What do you mean by UMA boob package? What are you trying to achieve? Maybe there is another way to do it.

36. umutozkan

umutozkan

Hi, the hair is a little harder to rig right because of what you have just pointed out. Even if you have a skinned hair mesh at hand as a template it is too hard to copy weights properly from that because hair consists of stripe shaped mesh pieces. Here is my workflow for hair (I tried a few ways, this is the fastest and easiest for me)

- First of all, I created a hair template for the model. This is a one piece (no stripes) covering all around the head and shoulders, even some of the chest and the back of the model. (I don't have access to the file I have it on now but, imagine a smooth one piece mesh looking a bit like this emperor's royal guard's helmet https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net...d_ROUVG.png/revision/latest?cb=20161219021926 )

- I skinned this template as I want the hair to move with the animations. I excluded facial bones of course as you suggested. I imported the final rigged template into unity and tried it on an UMA. I made sure it behaved as I wanted. (I tried it with DNA sliders, for example checked if head width is working well, or mouth width doesn't affect it etc.)

- This base allowed me to rig new hair pretty fast:
    * I modeled the hair
    * I used data transfer modifier of the blender to copy the weights from template to new hair. (I use nearest face interpolated option copying the vertex data only)
    * maybe for some extreme conditions did little tweaks (99% of the time I didn't have to do anything else)

37. umutozkan

umutozkan

38. Harekelas

Harekelas

Hi, I found all the mouth animations are not working with o3n male.
    Which bone controls the chin and lower mouth animation?

39. umutozkan

umutozkan

Hi Hareklas, could you be more specific? I double checked all the expressions in the expression player and they all work. Are you talking about a mecanim animation which controls the jaw?

If that is the case it's probably the expression player itself which is preventing that. You can remove the expression player from the avatar. But since it's a lot more powerful than simply moving jaw up and down I suggest using it (the expression player that is) for talk animations instead.

40. Harekelas

Harekelas

Hi, I meant the mechanim animation. I have an eating animation, how do I use the expression player to sync the mouth animation with the animation itself?

41. umutozkan

umutozkan

Alright, then you need to disable the expression player during that. Expression player overrides the jaw animation.

42. skad

skad

Hi.

Very good asset, but i may have found a issue with the version in the asset store
    V 1.25
    Unity V 2018.1.6f1

The DNA ranges for the races are empty and there is error into the console.
    I can recreate DNA range and the sliders are here.

Can you provide the ranges and i can recreate a new one ?

Thank you and have a nice day

Attached Files:

43. umutozkan

umutozkan

Hello, sorry for the late response my forum account was acting up I wasn't able to post.

The DNA ranges asset doesn't need to have anything in them. You might want to ask at UMA forum about their use case. I never had to use them.

Your error must be from something else. Did you add the o3n folder to global library? Could you please try it with a clean installation of both UMA and o3n races?

44. umutozkan

umutozkan

For a complete list of assets available for o3n UMA races (and base UMA races) by me see here.

45. magique

magique

When I imported the female Elf variant and made a quick sample, I get the following error and nothing shows up when running the scene.

UMAResourceNotFoundException: dSlotLibrary (211): Unable to find: o3n_female_feet_LOD1
    UMA.CharacterSystem.DynamicSlotLibrary.InstantiateSlot (System.String name) (at Assets/UMA/Core/Extensions/DynamicCharacterSystem/Scripts/DynamicSlotLibrary.cs:170)
    UMA.UMAContext.InstantiateSlot (System.String name) (at Assets/UMA/Core/StandardAssets/UMA/Scripts/UMAContext.cs:119)
    UMA.UMAPackedRecipeBase.UnpackRecipeVersion3 (UMA.UMARecipe umaRecipe, UMA.UMAPackRecipe umaPackRecipe, UMA.UMAContext context) (at Assets/UMA/Core/Scripts/UMAPackedRecipeBase.cs:940)
    UMA.UMAPackedRecipeBase.UnpackRecipe (UMA.UMARecipe umaRecipe, UMA.UMAPackRecipe umaPackRecipe, UMA.UMAContext context) (at Assets/UMA/Core/Scripts/UMAPackedRecipeBase.cs:35)
    UMA.UMAPackedRecipeBase.Load (UMA.UMARecipe umaRecipe, UMA.UMAContext context) (at Assets/UMA/Core/Scripts/UMAPackedRecipeBase.cs:20)
    UMA.UMATextRecipe.Load (UMA.UMARecipe umaRecipe, UMA.UMAContext context) (at Assets/UMA/Core/Extensions/DynamicCharacterSystem/Scripts/pUMATextRecipe.cs:182)
    UMA.CharacterSystem.DynamicCharacterAvatar.LoadCharacter (UMA.UMARecipeBase umaRecipe, System.Collections.Generic.List`1 Replaces, UMA.UMARecipeBase[] umaAdditionalSerializedRecipes) (at Assets/UMA/Core/Extensions/DynamicCharacterSystem/Scripts/DynamicCharacterAvatar.cs:2727)
    UMA.CharacterSystem.DynamicCharacterAvatar.BuildCharacter (Boolean RestoreDNA) (at Assets/UMA/Core/Extensions/DynamicCharacterSystem/Scripts/DynamicCharacterAvatar.cs:2666)
    UMA.CharacterSystem.DynamicCharacterAvatar+<BuildFromComponentSettingsCO>c__Iterator0.MoveNext () (at Assets/UMA/Core/Extensions/DynamicCharacterSystem/Scripts/DynamicCharacterAvatar.cs:514)
    UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (IEnumerator enumerator, IntPtr returnValueAddress) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/Coroutines.cs:17)

[EDIT]
    Using Unity 2017.1.5f1

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  46. ogtracy

ogtracy

I'm looking into using this for my game, but I have two problems.
    1. The characters are semi-transparent. I can see through them to whatever is behind them. I see no one else seems to have that problem, so I must be doing something wrong but I can't tell what it might be.

2. I need to be able to use my base uma assets (clothes, hairs, etc.) with it. Is there a way to do this?

47. Batataglins

Batataglins

Hello, I'm having trouble with shader in iOS.

Below are two clothes using the o3n Double Sided Shader. The first one is flat in iOS, the second one is really weird looking. At editor does not have transparency (but this is not a problem at all I guess).
    BlackDress.png
    Screenshot at Mar 18 12-03-47.png

Could some one help me to solve or understand better this problem?

48. ogtracy

ogtracy

I don't know about your problem, @Batataglins . It might be the same transparency problem as mine, but it might not. Anyway, I solved mine. The problem was the shader's interaction with the camera. Since I can't change my camera (It's the default setup for an Oculus project) I changed the shader. I got Morph3d a while ago. It turns out its standard shader works perfectly. There's some odd spots around the neck, and head, but when the characters have hair and are wearing clothes it's not visible unless you look very closely - and even then you won't know it's a problem unless you're looking for it.

Someday I might learn to write shaders and fix it, but it will work for me for now. Perhaps something similar will work for you. See what other shaders you have around.

49. Jaimi

Jaimi

This sounds like it wasn't indexed. If this is the case, just drop the folder into the global library.

50. btckey

btckey

Error how to fix
    Unity 2018.2.21f1 (64-bit)
    1.png