Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[FREE] o3n Male and Female UMA Races

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by umutozkan, Oct 8, 2017.

1. umutozkan

umutozkan

raw_2_1.png

Announcement: A new female race is available on Unity Asset Store, check it out https://forum.unity.com/threads/free-o3n-uma-race-jane.930876/

o3n Male and Female UMA Races. Available on Unity Asset Store!

Click here for WebGL demo.
    Click here for Extended Races WebGL demo.

If you want to know the content available (or upcoming) for o3n Races check the patreon page here. Better yet become a patron and decide what’s next.

Version Details (1.30)
    • Updated all overlay only wardrobe items' (with custom locations) textures to resize them to the same size as base recipes. (This is to prevent items like eyebrows from moving when the build setting is changed to certain environments like IOS)

This package contains custom male and female UMA races created from base UMA meshes with an aim to provide better morphing ability and better looks. UMA is required for this package to work. UMA Steering group made this possible by giving “the” character framework to Unity Community.

Special thanks to Isbit Games who let UMA community to use their content from First Person Lover package on UAS (Their packages are here | and here)

How do I get set up?
    • Please remember to add the o3n folder to UMA Global Library by selecting UMA -> Global Library Window and dragging the o3n folder to the drop area in the window.
    • You can check the example scenes under o3n/o3nBaseUMARaces/Scenes/ for sample usage.
    • Race folders have Prefabs folders which contains prefabs that you can drag in to your UMA ready sceene (See example scene).

Media

afro_skin.png

children.png

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
  2. umutozkan

umutozkan

Version History

• Updated all overlay only wardrobe items' (with custom locations) textures to resize them to the same size as base recipes. (This is to prevent items like eyebrows from moving when the build setting is changed to certain environments like IOS)
    • Updated female dna (changed legsSize DNA to legSize) so it matches the male
    • Fixed prefabs having the high-poly hand and head recipes (which distorts the character because LOD is on)
    • Updated DNA for UMA 2.8.1 (Min. Unity version is raised accordingly)
    • LOD Slots are now available in the base package
    • Skin tone is a DNA now
    • Muscle tone is a DNA now (Muscular wardrobe item is removed)
    • o3n Skin Shader outer rim shine effect reduced.
    • Removed o3n version of the Base UMA only donation hair from the package (the inclusion of it was a misunderstanding on my part)
    • Added new hairstyles from Base UMA package (military hair and a female hair)
    • Fixed an issue with o3n FFS Shader variant that makes the output of the render texture transparent when used with a solid color clear flag with alpha.

• Changed hair UMA material. (Applied the material render queue fix that is not yet on UAS UMA version.)

• Male armature improvements. (improvement involves a slight rotation of some bones, all content slots have been regenerated. If you created your own custom clothing you should rework those slots. IF YOU DON’T WANT TO ALTER YOUR CUSTOM WARDROBE ITEMS PLEASE DO NOT UPDATE TO THIS VERSION.)
    • All content packs for o3n Races have been updated per this version. Please remember to upgrade those too.
    • Female body and face improvements. (improvement involves a slight rotation of some bones, all content slots have been regenerated. If you created your own custom clothing you should rework those slots. IF YOU DON’T WANT TO ALTER YOUR CUSTOM WARDROBE ITEMS PLEASE DO NOT UPDATE TO THIS VERSION.)
    • All content packs for o3n Races have been updated per this version. Please remember to upgrade those too.
    • Fixed male race to have correct expression set.
    • Slightly changed the upper muscle DNA
    • Added two facial tattoo wardrobe recipe, one for male and one for female.
    • Fixed the twist script and added it to prefabs as default. There are twist bones at wrists, shoulders, feet and thigh. (When the twist recipe is on the avatar it should utilize the twist bones to prevent deformations caused by significant rotations.)

• Added afro skin textures (thanks to cwmanley for creating the base for them)

• Added support for upcoming LOD package

• Fixed the skin weights for the ears. (Support for pointy ears. It should resolve the issue with elf and orc races)

• Edited upper muscle DNA for better-looking shoulders.

• Improved hand geometry and topology.
    • Slight changes to body topology.
    • Male and female child slider added
    • Skinning fix at chest area.
    • - Small skinning fix at female knee back.
    • - o3n Cloth material is now included to be used in cloth wardrobe items.
    • Added female ponytail hair.

• FFS Variant SSS Skin shader with corresponding UMA material is added.
    • Updated textures to support the shader.
    • Unity 5.6.3 is required now per latest UMA update (2.7).
    • Added mesh hiding assets to female dress and female high heel shoes (advanced mesh hiding feature came with UMA 2.7)
    • Added support for some extended races on basic clothing pieces.

• Fixed texture issue with female stockings.
    • Added support for some extended races on basic clothing pieces.
    • Fixed a skinning issue with the high poly hands (both male and female)
    • Added a 3rd bone on the ears so pointy ears are possible.

• Added new wardrobe slot "Over Clothing"
    • Changed example wardrobe item "Hoodie"s slot to "Over Clothing"
    • Fixed thumbnails

0.94 Beta
    • Fixed trapezius bone skin weights

0.93 Beta
    • Fixed cheek DNA moving the opposite cheek in the wrong direction.

0.92 Beta
    • Reduced texture sizes to 2048 for some big files.
    • Improved textures (Albedo is now based on UMA base albedo).
    • Minimized the discrepencies between UMA Base UVs and o3n races’ UVs.
    • Mesh and skinning touch ups.

0.91 Beta
    • Textures reworked
    • Expressions added
    • Male muscular texture (wardrobe item) added

0.9 Beta (apparently something went wrong with this submission I had to resubmit the 0.91.)
    • Initial release
    • No expressions yet (will be added in the next version)

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
    twobob likes this.
  3. umutozkan

umutozkan

Finally the review is over, it's out!

twobob, MateAndor and kenamis like this.
  4. umutozkan

umutozkan

I'm pasting my post on the UMA thread. (click here to see the original post) It looks like I am not very successful explaining what these races are.

They are comparable on poly count. My package also has high poly head and hands (as base UMA does).

The mesh is crated from UMA Base so the UV's are mostly compatible. (Might be slight discrepancies where seams are but mostly unnoticeable) This makes some of the overlay only wardrobe items usable on my races.

Other than that mesh shape is heavily altered to give the natural look. You'll notice that especially male one is not as bulky as UMA base male.

Skeleton is also heavily altered/recreated to have better morphs. Also has twist bones not only in forearm like UMA base but forearm, shoulders, upper and lower leg. (I am working on scripts to get advantage of it out of the box)

The modles are skinned with a mindset to optimize morphs. Better morph effects are aimed by this. You'll notice that upper / lower weight sliders are significantly more natural than base UMA.

I may have missed a few things, but you can check it out yourself on the WebGL demo ( http://static.o3n.org/demo/o3nmfuma2/index.html ).

5. hopeful

hopeful

Just so you know, I would be interested in using this, especially if I had a better idea of how this improves on the existing UMA. Do you have a WIP thread or blog post that I could refer to? I don't want you to have to re-invent the wheel if you've already listed or described the specific improvements and compatibilities / incompatibilities.

I like the existing UMA model, but was thinking about possibly making some improvements of my own. I think that any art I would use I would be skinning to the (new) base model myself, so that's not a drawback for me.

6. umutozkan

umutozkan

I don't really have a comprehensive list of the improvements / changes. I should create one. It could take a while till I have time to do so.

I'd advise you o give it a go though. Demo scene included in the package has base UMA's standing next to my races. You can use the sliders and compare the effects.

twobob and hopeful like this.
  7. umutozkan

umutozkan

v.0.92 Beta is out. WebGL demo is updated with the new version. Check it out for the texture and mesh improvements. I believe it's nearing for a 1.0 release. I don't see any other change to models unless some flaw gets reported.

Hoping to get the 1.0 out as soon as UMA 2.7 is released to utilize the upcoming mesh hiding feature.

hopeful likes this.
  8. hopeful

hopeful

Looking at the webgl demo, it seems like the neck/shoulder seam is not quite right. The body morphs for being overweight are definitely better than standard UMA, or at least what I tried looked more realistic. The low cheek and low cheek position aren't working right, in that it seems to be moving from one side to the other instead of keeping symmetry between the sides.

In general, though ... looking good! :)

9. umutozkan

umutozkan

Could you post a screenshot about the neck issue describing the problem?

Low cheek problem effects the male model only it seems. Female looks ok. I'll push a fix for this ASAP.

10. umutozkan

umutozkan

Submitted an update for the cheek issue.

11. hopeful

hopeful

The male neck has a visible overlay seam, and when the upper muscle slider is advanced, some strange things happen on the male right neck.

Attached Files:

twobob likes this.
  12. umutozkan

umutozkan

I'll check it out. But the morph at extreme values does funny things with normals (and with shadows). It's an issue with base UMA too. I think UMA steering group was thinking about a way for recalculating normals. I don't know if or when that will happen though. The lighting angle in the demo scene (which I shamelessly copied from UMA DNA scene for it's wardrobe change interface) is also making that more apparent.

But I'll chek to see if I can improve it in any way. Thanks for the feedback.

13. hopeful

hopeful

Well, it only happens on one side of the male neck, and I don't see it under the same settings for the female. I haven't tried all permutations, though. This was just something I stumbled upon while playing with it.

14. umutozkan

umutozkan

I submitted a fix for weird distortion of trapezius muscle with upper muscle dna.Updating the WebGL Demo right now.

hopeful likes this.
  15. hopeful

hopeful

BTW, recalculating normals would be great. I know I don't have to say that, because everybody knows it, but ... :)

neoshaman likes this.
  16. umutozkan

umutozkan

It's been pointed out in the UMA slack channel. They are aware of it and want to do it in an efficient way I believe. It's an UMA issue though as you might know.

Unfortunately I don't know when UMA will be able to recalculate normals when a DNA value is changed. The good news is when UMA has it o3n Races will have it too :p

17. kenamis

kenamis

To be clear, you mean the normal map, right? So like this?

twobob likes this.
  18. umutozkan

umutozkan

I think he is talking about recalculating normals when an extreme dna is applied, like fat at max.

hopeful likes this.
  19. neoshaman

neoshaman

What's the difficulty in that case? skinned meshes?

20. hopeful

hopeful

Yes, my understanding is that the more you deform a model from its original shape, the more distorted the normals get. If it's just a fact of life then we live and design around it, but if it's a relatively easy fix, then fixing it would be great.

Probably 40 pages back in the UMA thread, someone was complaining about how adjustments using the breast slider on female models rapidly created distortion. I suppose if you are using matte textures you can conceal it better, but reflective ones probably show the stretching pretty quick.

I don't claim to be an expert on it at all. But IIRC Joen and others briefly discussed recalculating normals as a solution.

21. hopeful

hopeful

Yes, the normal map, but not just adjusting the intensity in the shader (though that is a good thing). As I understand it, it is an adjustment that corrects the normals after deformation of the skinned meshes.

22. umutozkan

umutozkan

Quoting joen's message at UMA Slack regarding normals. Looks like recalculating normals means ignoring normal map. I don't think there is a simple solution for this.

23. hopeful

hopeful

Okay, so I guess "recalculating normals" means recalculating the vertex normals instead of adjusting the texture map. Not what we want.

24. umutozkan

umutozkan

I guess he did mention something about calculating the differences between vertex normals and normal map and applying it to the recalculated normals (or it's what I could comprehend). It's just that I am not sure if it's being worked on now. Looks to me like an abstract discussion of probabilities.

25. kenamis

kenamis

that's not adjusting the intensity in the shader, that is blending between two normal maps.

so which is it? that's why i'm trying to clarify what you mean. It's either (or both) the vertex normals or the normal map. The normal map I have a prototype solution as seen above.
    The vertex normals are somewhat more complicated to "fix", but IMO they don't really need fixing. Blendshapes would have not an issue.
    I think people might be confusing the lack of normal map changing with vertex normals "needing to be recalculated".

26. hopeful

hopeful

First, I would point out that I'm surely more out of my depth here than @umutozkan, but I guess what Joen is saying is that you compare the change in vertex normals between the default and stretched states, and apply that change to the normal texture.

Blending normals is cool too, but I don't think it would be a solution for the deformation issue.

Anyway, an earlier discussion of this issue was between David and Fernando, starting at this post.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
  27. umutozkan

umutozkan

I created a patreon page for o3n Male and Female UMA Races. The content I create for o3n Races is announced there. Also if you become a patron you get to decide what's next.

https://www.patreon.com/o3n

hopeful likes this.
  28. umutozkan

umutozkan

hopeful and kenamis like this.
  29. umutozkan

umutozkan

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    BackwoodsGaming, hopeful and cwmanley like this.
  30. umutozkan

umutozkan

31. umutozkan

umutozkan

The new version is out! Added FFS shader variant and changed textures a bit.

hopeful and kenamis like this.
  32. solarholic

solarholic

Excuse me. This package don't work for me.
    I download the "first person lover" package and this package.
    When I import the package to Unity and some scripts and prefabs are missing.
    How can I apply the character to this package? Thanks.

question.jpg

33. umutozkan

umutozkan

Hi sorry for the late response. I think there is a misunderstanding about what is required and what is not. The "first person lover" packages are not required by o3n Male and Female Races package (They allowed their content to be converted for UMA and I used a few meshes in the package. So it was a "thanks").

But UMA package is a requirement and you are missing that in your project. (Hence the missing stuff.)

o3n package contains "races" (that is UMA terminology for character models) for UMA. It needs UMA to work. Also for UMA every asset should be in the scene library or the global library (these are UMA stuff too).

So you need to do the following:
    1. Download UMA from asset store (free)
    2. Download o3n Male and Female races from asset store (also free)
    3. Open Global library window from UMA menu and hit "Rebuild from Project" button (that adds every asset in your project in the UMA global library.)

Keep in mind that UMA is a game character framework (imo it is the best one for the Unity btw) and this package is just an alternative set of characters for it. For more information on UMA you can check UMA forum page or join their slack channel (you can post in the forum and someone will invite you).

Mark_01 likes this.
  34. umutozkan

umutozkan

New version is out now female has an alternative hair model.

image.png

frbrz and Mark_01 like this.
  35. umutozkan

umutozkan

frbrz and Mark_01 like this.
  36. jsfpw

jsfpw

Great Package. Do you plan to add male child and female child races to it ?

37. umutozkan

umutozkan

Hi sorry for the late response yeah I was considering that. I prefer adding child as a slider instead of a new race though. That way it would be possible to use the slider for in between ages like teenagers etc. So I'll go for the slider first. If that's not possible it'll probably be a new race.

hopeful likes this.
  38. hopeful

hopeful

Sharing models makes it easier to share a wardrobe as well.

39. umutozkan

umutozkan

Alright, here is the current WIP for "child". Looks like it's gonna be a slider after all.

and the female one here:

Last edited: May 27, 2018
    frbrz, Mark_01 and hopeful like this.
  40. hopeful

hopeful

@umutozkan - So I was thinking about a unified sex UMA model again, and I was wondering ... are the main differences between a male and female model in the vertices or in the adjust bones? Because I could see maybe wanting a set of adjust bones for muscle and one for fat.

My impression is that you may have encountered some design choices along this line, so I'm curious as to what you think.

41. umutozkan

umutozkan

Bone hierarchy should be exactly identical. The difference is with the geometry and the skin weights.

I considered having two sets of adjustment bones for fat and muscle myself. But I ended up scaling twist and adjustment bones with the arms and legs in different ratios to differentiate between muscle and fat. Had a belly adjustment bone. The rest is the same set of adjustment bones.

The reason I didn't go for the additional set of adjustment bones is because there is a limit constraining a vertex to be affected by a certain number of bones. This depends on the quality setting but is at most 4 as far as I know. This is very limiting.

Also having lots of bones will hit the performance too.

Edit: And for the male/female being the same race, although I think it might be possible, it would be quite a challenge to make it good. I tried to make my races blendshapefree. Even if I add any blendshapes in the future I'd use it on the areas not affecting clothing like face. (This is for the easy content creation without the need of blendshapes on the wardrobe items)

It's very hard to morph the body between male/female by just the bone weights.

Last edited: May 27, 2018
    hopeful likes this.
  42. hopeful

hopeful

Yeah, it was sounding like it would be difficult to construct a unisex race, but you only have to do it once ... theoretically. I was thinking how much effort it would save, though, if costuming only had to be done for a single unisex race. For a game with a big wardrobe, or for an artist trying to sell clothing in the store ... the prospect is tempting.

Good reminder about the constraint on vertexes being affected by only 4 bones at most. Thanks!

umutozkan likes this.
  43. neoshaman

neoshaman

Also can a unisex version can be made by swapping body mesh directly? There was a mesh swapping that was demonstrated by replacing human nose by a pig's one, or basically using body like cloth. Which would also help with swapping extreme body shape without bone or blendshape, like very muscular (need definition on shoulder and back musle) or very obese (belly fold) and very anorexic (bone salience).

44. umutozkan

umutozkan

Yeah, you can just swap meshes and achieve the effect of sex change. But then your clothing items will not fit quite well unless the swapped meshes are really close.

If the body is considered alone there are lots of ways to have one race and change the race by either blendshapes or swapping meshes or any other way you can think of. It all comes down to how you will manage the wardrobe items.

45. RealidadEmpoderada

RealidadEmpoderada

Hello,
    Is possible manage more range for the height for allow a more little children?
    How about babys?
    I will apreciate your anser.
    Gustavo

46. umutozkan

umutozkan

Although it is possible to change height further down, it would look like smaller children, not babies. It would need quite a modification to look like babies, I don't think that would be possible with just bone manipulation. Maybe with some blendshapes.

That being said, babies would require special clothing and animations anyway. So better to have another race with its own baby body mesh.

47. RealidadEmpoderada

RealidadEmpoderada

Thank you for the answer.

48. eggtart

eggtart

When will the version with the child slider be out? Thanks!

49. umutozkan

umutozkan

The version with the child slider is already out.

50. eggtart

eggtart

I also saw in your web demo, but when I downloaded and installed o3n Male and Female and run the DemoScene, there is no child slider. So I am just wondering...