Search Unity

[FREE] Moments, a quick GIF replay recorder

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Chman, Apr 19, 2015.

1. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

Hi there,

I put another free asset on GitHub, some of you might interested.

Moments
    is a quick GIF replay recorder for Unity. It automatically records the last few seconds of gameplay and lets you save to a GIF file on demand, like the game TowerFall Ascension does.

Here's a quick output preview if you're wondering about the visual quality.

Don't forget to check out the other assets in my signature !

Enjoy :)

2. Merrik44

Merrik44

Rad, Thanks so much!
    Awesome of you to share this for free.

Quick question:
    Do you know of a way of preventing flicker between frames?
    I assume this is occurring because each frame has its own palette

3. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

That's exactly it.

There are basically two ways to generate a gif file : use a single palette for all the frames (so 256 colors for the whole duration of the animation, which would result in a very low quality) or use a palette per frame, which is what Moments is doing. It works fine most of the time but it can induce some flickering when a new color is introduced abruptly and removed a few frames later. There are a few ways to fix this (like using the previous palette to generate the new one) but I probably won't have the time to implement it as in its current state it fits my needs.

But it's open source, so if anyone wants to dig in... ;)

4. nosyrbllewe

nosyrbllewe

Cool, how long can it record?

5. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

There's no time limit, it depends on the amount of memory you want to allocate. It's not meant for long session recording but for quick replays. This isn't a typical "start / stop" recorder, it constantly records the screen in a fixed size buffer and at any moment you can tell it to dump the last few seconds a gif file. A similar system is used in Towerfall for the kill cam.

6. larku

larku

Hey Chman,

This looks excellent, thanks!

Can this handle multiple cameras? I'd like it to capture all active cameras if possible.

7. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

It should :) Simply put a Recorder component on each camera. Make sure you take a look at the code in the demo !

8. larku

larku

Wouldn't that generate a different GIF for each camera? I'm hoping for a composite of all cameras just a the game would render.

It'd be awesome if it could just be added to a scene and it would render all active cameras without the need to know which would be active. I use quite a few cameras but only a 2 or 3 are active at once. That is, I won't know before hand which are the active cameras.

9. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

Well yeah, it will render one gif per camera, it doesn't composite. It depends on you camera setup : are you talking about multiple cameras rendering multiple scene views or multiple camera being composited to screen (using Camera.depth & clear flags) ?

Add the recorder to the top most camera, the one that displays what the player sees. It will record this camera and what it shows, no need for compositing as it should already be done by your camera setup in Unity :)

10. larku

larku

Oh really? Sounds good - perhaps I'm just showing my ignorance here.

I have 1 camera for my UI, many for the scene proper but only one of these active at one time (views from different angles, cut scenes etc) and dynamically created ones for dialogs and bits etc.

All are composite drawn (yep, with Camera.depth and clear flags) - so if I set it on the topmost camera it'll render everything - I didn't realise that cameras worked like that, cool!!

11. _invalidusername

_invalidusername

Does this support multiple cameras rendering different layers?

12. Player7

Player7

Nice def think I'll use this.

hate that 2015 gif is still the only ubiquitous animated file format on the web though.. kinda sad apng never took off its way better.

13. EMOTION-THEORY

EMOTION-THEORY

Is there any way to also record UI that's layered on top?

14. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

If the Canvas is set to "Screen Space - Camera" or "World Space" then yes, it will be recorded if the script is put on the camera rendering the UI. If it's set to "Screen Space - Overlay" then unfortunately you're out of luck.

abittman likes this.
  15. kbm

kbm

Hi, is there any way to SAVE the gif during runtime, so the player can record his own gif and save it to Desktop? (Using WebGL Export)

I already tried serialization for hours, but it seems like Unity only serializes the first frame of the gif, not the rest, so the serialized and then saved file doesn't load the gif.

16. Rithy-Jim

Rithy-Jim

I try to build the apk to test and the .gif was save but exactly it is still image. I also import the .gif from mobile to computer and it still doesn't play the .gif file. Did this Moment Recorder support on mobile device? I test it in editor and everything was great.

17. MKeff

MKeff

Hi Everyone,

This is an awesome tool and feature to have in-game. I've been looking for ways to implement it into a WebGL build, although I've read saving images through the browser can be tricky because of browser security. After some research, I found code that is capable of saving single frame screenshots to the local drive, from a WebGL build.

here is that link to that code;
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/how...f-the-browser-without-pop-up-blocking.440051/

I wanted to see if anyone might know if it's possible to combine these various scripts so that the GIF replay recorded using Moments could be saved to the local drive within a Unity WebGL build. I'm very new to coding so I'd be most appreciative to know how or if it's possible.

thank you,

18. viku_99

viku_99

Hello i want to record only Half screen of my image and then export to Gif using moment recoerder??

19. ElliotCurtis

ElliotCurtis

I have been using Moments and it's great- thanks. But it's not creating a gif when running on my phone, only on pc.
    I really don't understand what's wrong and there are no errors being created.
    I guess this is the bit that has the issue:
    private void startGifEncoding() {
    InstructionsText.enabled = false;
    WaitText.enabled = true;
    FBButton.enabled = false;

GalleryButton.enabled = false;

_progressBarHolder.SetActive(true);
    ProgressBar.fillAmount = 0;
    _gifRecorder.OnPreProcessingDone += gifDone;
    _gifRecorder.OnFileSaved += gifSaved;
    _gifRecorder.OnFileSaveProgress += progressUpdated;
    _gifRecorder.Save("GamePlayCapture");
    }

Any help is gratefully received!

20. ElliotCurtis

ElliotCurtis

Hi Rithy-Jim,
    I am struggling to get this working on mobile too, but it's fine on pc.
    Did you ever get it to work?

21. Immu

Immu

Quick note for users that import it in latest unity versions, you might want to add
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using MinAttribute = Moments.MinAttribute;
    in MinDrawer.cs

22. pXd-fs

pXd-fs

Thanks Immu!
    Also using the demo scene (or calling record() manually) I always get "Nothing to save. Maybe you forgot to start the recorder?" did you find a fix for that?

23. pXd-fs

pXd-fs

@Chman When running the demo scene (or calling record() manually) I always get "Nothing to save. Maybe you forgot to start the recorder?" do you have any idea why it's not recording? It's a vanilla copy from github in Unity 2019.
    Thanks

Blarp likes this.
  24. st_Drunks

st_Drunks

Did anyone ever find a solution to "Nothing to save. Maybe you forgot to start the recorder?"?
    I've recently moved my project to URP and now I can't get the recorder to work.

25. liamrobertson

liamrobertson

@st_Drunks @pXd-fs

Moments is using OnRenderImage(), which is not used in the scriptable render pipelines (e.g. URP). So it will not work.

There would probably be some way to adjust the code to use an output texture from the camera instead, but I don't know how to do that ¯\_(ツ)_/¯