Search Unity

Free Models From A Nub Modeler

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by mpgn, Feb 16, 2011.

1. mpgn

mpgn

Ok, so I am trying to learn good decent modeling. So I am going to be giving away free stuff here. I will edit this post as I add others.

I will start out with the first one being a barrel model you can also view the render screen and in game screen.

Comments and suggestions welcomed:razz:

Edit, I know they are crappy models but please don't sell them in a pack of crappy models or even sell them period.....

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
  2. Benopaluz

Benopaluz

model a medieval bridge ;P

3. Ethan

Ethan

From far away or for mobile stuff it would be fine!
    The uv mapping and the resolution of the texture wouldn't be good enough for FPS or HD stuff though.

@Benopaluz: In my shop (see my signature) you find 2 medieval bridges under "buildings", if you are in need of bridges. ;) Maybe i am putting them in the Asset Store, too. mhhh

4. Acumen

Acumen

That's not too nice to hijack a thread like that, Ethan. If you want to advertize your work, you should put up a thread on your own.
    You could have just sent a PM to Benopaluz :)

5. Ethan

Ethan

Shame on me ;)

6. pat_sommer

pat_sommer

i disagree, i havent downloaded it, only looked at the renders.

do you see some of the non-primary objects in COD? they are way more blurry then that.

as a side asset for just being a random barrel that could be laying anywhere in the scene, id say job well done ;)

my only comment would be add some more detail to the top, think about what is on the lid of barrels. where is the hole/cap? is there any writing or labels? those are the details that will really bring your model forward

7. mpgn

mpgn

Unfortunately I am not that good yet.

8. CallToAdventure

CallToAdventure

maybe you're not good yet but you're giving away your work which should tell something about yourself. we all started somewhere, way back, with 'crappy' models.

: )

9. thegreyman1

thegreyman1

and actually your models aren't that crap at all :) I would imagine any indie game developer would be delighted to have these in their game for free. there are models on turbosquid which aren't for free that don't look this good. Keep it up...

10. granada

granada

Looks like a good start to me :D.

dave

11. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

Quite right. Quite right indeed.

12. mpgn

mpgn

Thanks for all the comments and crits. I like both because it will tell me if I am doing good and in what areas I need to improve. Enough of that though here is two wood crates for the community.

Attached Files:

13. mpgn

mpgn

Looks like this could be a waste bin of some sorts

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  14. Ethan

Ethan

Like the waste bin :) where do you get the textures from?

15. mpgn

mpgn

cgtextures

16. KlaRo115

KlaRo115

Good start for your 3d-models, I remember my first models... that was some awful crap, but your work is pretty good :)

17. mpgn

mpgn

Ok here is bin number 2 with two different versions

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  18. mpgn

mpgn

Ok I sorta lied I guess. Here is one more it is a dumpster wannabe. That will be it for today

Attached Files:

19. superdave

superdave

models looking good dude..keep up the good work..as for as the crates go..add some detail to the top..insert the poly some and give it a -2 extrude

20. mpgn

mpgn

Have no clue what these are but you usually see them at power plants. Sorry only a render this time for a screen

Attached Files:

21. eddith

eddith

nice work. i'm new to unity and look forward to use these work on my next project, i'll tell you when i used it. thank's a lot.

22. 2dfxman1

2dfxman1

While this is not perfect, it's much better than quite some stuff I see in the paid section.
    Crazy people trying to sell untextured models.

23. CrowbarSka

CrowbarSka

I recognise that texture from the book '3ds Max Modeling For Games'. Are you sure you're allowed to distribute it for free?

24. Eva Maria

Eva Maria

Really nice, maybe you can put them as a free package on the asset store - I think many would love to have them. Keep it up!

25. mpgn

mpgn

This can be used at a construction site or wherever this type of commercial dumpster may be used.

36 Polygons'

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  26. mpgn

mpgn

Ok this is my first house so be gentle

Attached Files:

27. medsouz

medsouz

Those aren't bad at all, they're actually pretty good. Way better than the 3D model I attempted to make in my avatar.

28. larvantholos

larvantholos

Decent texturing. You can push these models further tho. A good tip on how to do that is, spend a little time on google or another search engine searching for images you can use as references for the things your trying to model. Even if your not going to replicate something perfectly, having something to preview from different angles can give you a solid idea of what other people reviewing your models are expecting to see, and what little details can make things more interesting.

You seem to have the idea with some of your texturing, with the dirt passes, just push some of the geometry more and you'll be in the right place to turn your "crappy newbie" models into amazing newbie models :p

29. mpgn

mpgn

Just to let everyone know I am listening to all the comments and such, I just don't want to clutter it up so everyone can find the models and for everyone to leave the feedback.

30. raymix

raymix

watching this thread
    it inspired me to create some HD video tutorials on "next gen" alike modeling and sculpting for games. It's recorded trough 2 nights in total, pretty large, but brief one from sketch to ready model, nicely edited. I will definitely post link here to it if you don't mind

keep it up :)

31. DangerSnoot

DangerSnoot

You're thinking of cooling towers.

Simple isn't the same as bad. I actually think you've done a pretty good job of these! With your house, might I suggest you take another look at how the roof joins to the top of the walls. Unless you're going for utterly insanely low-poly, a bit of an overhang or a gutter would make the world of difference.

32. mpgn

mpgn

Not a problem as long as it is free, seeing how these are free models I want to try and keep the thread free from commercial stuff.

33. spike117

spike117

Love it all, had an Idea but I'm a crappy modeller, might just put my savings into gettin some of that stuff.

Edit, talkin bout ethans site.

34. mpgn

mpgn

Normally I am not this harsh but I see you can not read so I will leave out my public number for my telephone and I will leave a voice mail for you. Is that ok?

35. mpgn

mpgn

This is a port a krapper. I have learned how to do grey-scale bump so you can convert this into normal-map from within unity.

540 Polys'

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  36. ivanzu

ivanzu

you should chamfer the edges a bit.

37. Disati

Disati

I really like free stuff, not because I'm too lazy to make them myself, but because people have to share their knowledge. Without sharing, no community can be as good as this one. Thanks for the quite good low poly models, mpgn. Keep up the good work.

38. EricTheCoolDude

EricTheCoolDude

What are you making these in?

39. mpgn

mpgn

max

40. raymix

raymix

hi ya! as promised, my modeling technique HD video tutorial, inspired by this thread and of course it's free :)
    thanks!
    -Ray

41. mpgn

mpgn

This cardboard box is all of my own work. The textures and everything. Includes bumpmap. Ready for import

Attached Files:

42. mpgn

mpgn

This is a free TV / monitor. I hope there is no issues of the screen shot or the Unity 3D name on the object.

Attached Files: