Search Unity

[FREE]MicroSplat, a modular terrain shading system for Unity Terrains

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by jbooth, Aug 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jonkelling

jonkelling

Is there anything in the Mega Bundle that is inherently not well-suited to use for Quest/Quest 2 development?

2. Dobalina

Dobalina

Hello, just wondering if a solution to this was discovered? I ran into a similar error when trying to "Bake Procedural To Terrain"

Shader error in 'RenderBake_ProceduralSplatOutput0': Fragment program 'Frag': Unrecognized sampler 'sampler_diffuse' - does not match any texture and is not a recognized inline name (should contain filter and wrap modes).
    at line 19779 (on d3d11)

I get several of the same errors for ProceduralSplatOutput0A, ProceduralSplatOutput1, ProceduralSplatOutput1A and so on...

Last edited: Mar 14, 2022
  3. Willbkool_FPCS

Willbkool_FPCS

You need to go to the Discord server for help, or maybe try emailing him. Unity doesn't keep the smacktards away so he's not using this forum any longer. :D

4. ibernd

ibernd

Hi!

A quick question about snow + tessellation´

Is it possible to give the snow its own height information with a (noise) height map? In my opinion, that would look a little more natural than a perfectly flat blanket of snow

Screenshot 2022-03-16 110747.jpg (Example)

5. Mauri

Mauri

Probably might be better if a mod would close this thread (and any of Jason's other asset ones) if he's not willing to provide support in them any longer.

For those looking for help in the future: Support has moved to Discord. Post there, not here.

chingwa likes this.
  6. Rowlan

Rowlan

It's just sooooo awesome to add MicroSplat features like Stochastic Texture Clusters at the touch of a button and don't see any visible terrain tiling :)

Zimnel and StevenPicard like this.
  7. chingwa

chingwa

I've noticed an issue with Specular not appearing properly on two of my terrain textures. It get's filtered out in a pixelated LOD pattern the further away from the camera you get, but there is still some kind of issue with them even at fairly close range. Both have specular and smoothness textures defined in the config file. When I switch over to LOD Sampler mode the specular returns! Of course LOD Sampler destroys all the anisotropic filtering which is not ideal. Any idea what might be happening here?

8. chingwa

chingwa

Well, thanks for that. Discord is horrible (sigh)
    Welp, gotta do what ya gotta do....

Willbkool_FPCS, newguy123 and hopeful like this.
  9. DJ_Design

DJ_Design

Hi! I'm looking at utilizing one of the microsplat modules in my current project which uses no unity terrain.
    I have a mesh I'd like to apply splats to, which microsplat will render out as texture DURING runtime. To be clear, my props are generated at runtime, so I need to be able to apply splats and see the results at runtime.. is this possible, and if so what is the most efficient way of doing this? Thank you for your time!

10. Willbkool_FPCS

Willbkool_FPCS

You need to go to Discord as this forum is no longer used by the developer. Or else read through all of the posts here and see if someone else had a similar question.;)

DJ_Design likes this.
  11. DJ_Design

DJ_Design

Have been to the discord and he was prompt with responding to my question, seems it's possible will have to look into the painter editor he provides. :)

Willbkool_FPCS likes this.
  12. Rowlan

Rowlan

Using MicroSplat's Stochastic Texture Cluster Mode, Trax and Wetness here:

With emphasis on not a single tile visible on the terrain thanks to MS :)

Last edited: Apr 17, 2022
    ledshok and chingwa like this.
  13. dobbyPersonal

dobbyPersonal

Microsplat1.png

Blending area stands out (black) in the fog which is not expected. Any ideas on this?
    Win10 64, Microsplat Terrain Collection 3.9.20(with terrain blending on) and HDRP 2020 Support Package, Unity 2020.3.33f1.

14. CYM

CYM

Hello, when I use the parallelax option, I find that the terrain option basemapdist cannot be changed. It is always consistent with the longest distance of parallelax. Then when I build player, I find that terrain cannot be displayed normally. Why

Attached Files:

15. CYM

CYM

@jbooth

16. Rowlan

Rowlan

You need to ask via his discord. This thread is closed for support.

17. Rowlan

Rowlan

Microsplat Global Texturing, Trax, Wind and Glitter

andreiagmu and andreyefimov2010 like this.
  18. kopanz

kopanz

Hi,
    I'm trying to use Digger Pro with Microsplat terrains. When I enable the digger extension from microsplat shader settings my splatmaps lose a lot of detail. You can see the difference in photos below. Second photo is after enabling the digger extension. How can I fix the issue ? Using Triplanar UVs extension is not making any changes. I used Terrain Composer 2 to create the terrain but their scripts were disabled, shouldn't have any effect.

Last edited: May 9, 2022
  19. Rowlan

Rowlan

Support moved to discord.

protopop likes this.
  20. kopanz

kopanz

I realized that and went to discord and got support. thanks.

Rowlan likes this.
  21. unity_18856075934azw

unity_18856075934azw

Hi,Jason
    I have a question about better lit shader,I have a problem to modify this shader myself.It`s very complex and I can`t find how to make surface receive shadow when set opacity to Alpha.Is this causing by setting Blend Alpha?So it just like unity standard shader that you can`t receive shadow when you set alpha blend.Where can I add the code to it to make it receive shadow even alpha blend?
    And i also want to know can i make dissolved things casting shadow just like before dissolving,in other words the shadow don`t change when dissolving.I think now it`s using clip to discade fragments.

22. protopop

protopop

I went to discord and it asked me to send a message to GitHubBot.

I found GitHubBot on the side panel and sent them a message like this

!verify<here I put my invoice number for microsplat terrain blending>

I wanst sure which invoice number to put because I have several microsplat products. But I am guessing it doesn't matter because anyone will give us access? Or does it have to be a specific one because the microsplat core module is free.

now that I did this though I still can't ask any questions, the box to write something to the discord groups isn't available like it is in other servers.

Do I just have to wait a while to be added? Or did I do something wrong?

if anyone knows any help would be appreciated.

23. gecko

gecko

I'd suggest DMing Jason on Discord about it.

protopop likes this.
  24. protopop

protopop

Thank you.

does anyone know how I can send a direct message to him on discord?

25. Meceka

Meceka

I recommend adding a verified phone to your discord account, the verification level of the server might be set high.

protopop likes this.
  26. protopop

protopop

Thank you all. I spoke with Jason on Discord and he was very helpful

hopeful, Rowlan and Willbkool_FPCS like this.
  27. sebascore

sebascore

Hi,

I tried to join the Discord channel but my unity invoice number hasn't been recognised by the bot. This is my question:

I have joined a project using microsplat, I don't know much about the bundle. I recently updated the project to 2021 and the latest version of Microsplat. I am not sure what the logic behind the specific microsplat implementation is, but I need to be able to bake the terrain into meshes and retain the terrain blending on objects.

Now I have noticed that the only way to make this work once the baked data is transformed into addressables is to keep the terrain in the scene. This is unfortunate because it's a waste to create a terrain just to create the blending and then disable it.

Then I realised that I can actually disable the Terrain component (but not the terrain collision component), the blending will be generated as long as the gameobject with the microsplat manager is on, but the terrain data itself is not needed.

Is this reasoning correct? I personally would have expected that somehow the terrain blending pass would have been baked too, but I understand what's going on too. I am just wondering if there is a big runtime penalty in terms of memory to generate the terrain blends in the client.

To be clear, baking a terrain generates this:

upload_2022-5-17_16-30-26.png

however I MUST keep this on as well:

upload_2022-5-17_16-30-47.png

(note the terrain data is disabled, the terrain collider should be enabled instead)

otherwise the blends will not be generated.

Edit: so the reason why I need the terrain object and the terrain collision on seems to be due to raycasting done by the microsplat terrain blender component. I assume this is done when the gameobject is created.

So:

- is terrain blending on gameobject not supposed to work if terrain is converted in to meshes?
    - is my workaround valid? I am very worried about the overhead of creating the blending object at run time.

Edit 2:

I am starting to wonder if I should write myself the code to bake the blending in a second pass trying to convert the microsplat material into a normal material and getting rid of the microsplat component on the gameobjects

Edit 3:

I am starting to understand what microsplat expects, and apparently it doesn't work because my terrain chunks do not have a collider.
    The code MicroSplatBlendableObject code that is looking for a MicroSplatMeshTerrain will not be successful without a collider.

Edit 4:

adding the colliders to the terrain mesh fixed it and keeping the original terrain is not necessary

Edit 5:

ok something is still wrong, but I would like to discuss it on discord at this point

Last edited: May 18, 2022
  28. protopop

protopop

I don't know about your technical question but in case this helps anyone about the discord githubbot

it says to put in your invoice number like this: !verify<invoice number>

I'll use 12345678 as an example

!verify<12345678> didn't work

!verify12345678 didn't work

!verify 12345678 worked instantly

make sure you don't write the < and > symbols, and that you leave a space between the !verify and your invoice number. I think you can use an invoice number from any microsplat product. I have several and I randomly used the one from my Traxx module.

29. villaman

villaman

Hello,
    I am having a similar issue accessing the support channel. I DM'd the Githubbot with something like

!verify 2424342 (based on order number)
    !verify IN29243292 (based on invoice number)

And got a response from the bot in both cases that the invoice number has already been verified. This in itself is odd, since I haven't done this before. Regardless, if I go to the support channels they are still inaccessible.

I tried this on two different assets I purchased, viz. Microsplat URP 2020 and Better Lit Shaders. Same result.

Pretty frustrating that when needing support, the process to get support itself is so opaque.

Anyone have any idea what I might be doing wrong. Note that I used the exact syntax with no <> and a space between the verify and the number.

thanks.

algorithmicvertex likes this.
  30. Taylor250

Taylor250

Looking down in the cave
    upload_2022-7-27_20-29-19.png
    Looking up in the cave:
    upload_2022-7-27_20-34-57.png
    Hi,
    I have an issue with point light and spot light in caves build with digger.
    As you can this point light is working correctly for the negative facing XYZ-Axis, but for the positive it strangely cuts the Light upwards.
    Am I doing something wrong or is it a bug? I'm using 2021.3.6f1, Universal Render Pipeline.
    thanks.

31. EricThePanic

EricThePanic

Hey guys! Anyone know if MicroSplat and it's other components (like Trax) work with bolt/visual scripting?

32. Keaneo

Keaneo

Hi - I converted a terrain to microsplat (first image below) and it looked fine but if I change any options (e.g. check the "detail noise" option in the Microsplat material), the terrain looks like the second image. It remains like that even if I uncheck the option. I have to fix it by reverting the changes incurred in MicrosSplat.shader, MicroSplat_Base.shader, etc.

I'm working through the docs but could anybody prompt what I should look for that causes this?

Thanks!

upload_2022-8-28_14-28-41.png

upload_2022-8-28_14-28-55.png

33. DeadPoet

DeadPoet

Hey, quick question: Are the Better Lit Shaders (HDRP 2021) supported on Consoles (Playstation 4 / XBox One)?

34. HonKasumi

HonKasumi

Why do i get this black hole in the terrain when i try my textures?

Attached Files:

35. Keaneo

Keaneo

I'm using Gaia with Microsplat, URP, Unity 2021.3.9f1. If I add a terrain texture to Gaia, what's the best way to add the new texture to Microsplat? I can add manually - but I had an issue where I needed to swap/add/remove some Gaia textures and it would be great if I could get Microsplat to pick these up (the way it does when I first convert the terrain to Microsplat).

Thanks!

36. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

Hello @JasonBooth , I just saw your new MicroVerse system in the store and I have some doubts about the way it works:
    Is it using the Unity terrain system underneath or is it a complete replacement of it?
    Does it have any realtime overhead over the regular unity terrain system?
    I mean, is the final terrain baked to regular terrain data on play or is it making the conversion in real time on the fly or is it even a completely different terrain system, and thus eating resources?
    If it's a complete replacement, how does it compare to the Unity terrain system performance wise?
    Also, is terrain streaming even possible by additively loading chunks of terrain in play mode as with regular unity terrains?
    Thanks.

37. HighKeys

HighKeys

Hi there, i tried to use MicroSplat with URP 12 (Unity 2021 LTS) and the blending extension. MicroSplat core URP works fine but it always tell me to enable the blending feature in the Shader Window (which is already done) i also updated the Normals and synced everything again.

Any ideas on that? I was going over the docs but can't find the solution.

Many Thanks!

38. Ryirs

Ryirs

Hello @JasonBooth .
    I've been fiddling around with MicroVerse, one thing i find myself really missing is a spline control for the falloff of the HeightStamps (such as present on brushes) to avoid a visible change in the surface.
    Am i overlooking something, is it planned, or can i make a request for that ?
    Or could the stamp support brush object rather than texture 2D somehow ?

(edit the following seems fixed on git)
    And while i am here, there is an error message when using MicroVerse 1.0.03 without microsplat, in MicroVerse_editor.cs arround line 13 (i moved it in the microsplat region)
    "public JBooth.MicroSplat.TextureArrayConfig msConfig = null;"
    as that namespace isn't defined.

Thanks !

Last edited: Oct 16, 2022
  39. Ryirs

Ryirs

@atomicjoe After going through the code, it seems to be using the default unity terrain system (which i appreciate), what Jason does is to update the heighmatps, normals etc, for each affected terrain, when a stamp is moved, it's pretty fast as it is run through a shader on the GPU, and then applied back to the terrain data.
    So i don't know if i would recommend using it during runtime, as it does uses resources,(and it would depend on each config, you would have to try) and i don't think that is why jason did it, but i would definitely recommend to use it in the editor to build your terrains, (you can remove the stamps etc afterward if needed) over other solutions out there.
    The overall workflow is pretty neat.

atomicjoe likes this.
  40. melonhead

melonhead

just purchased the microsplat terrain collection v3.9.26 and get a red error after import into unity 2019.4.38f1, error below:

Packages\com.jbooth.microsplat.core\Scripts\Editor\TerrainPainter\TerrainPainterWindow.cs(48,90): error CS0619: 'SelectionMode.OnlyUserModifiable' is obsolete: ''OnlyUserModifiable' is obsolete. Use 'Editable' instead. (UnityUpgradeable) -> Editable'

can anyone help as i didnt expect to get any import errors on this

thank you

EDIT: just done some google digging and have now changed the code line to Editable and red error has gone, i am suprised this is even there seeing as the v3.9.26 was only released on 6TH OCTOBER 2022 why was the code not fixed by jason in the update, obviously was not tested as the error would have been present on import, seeing as this was a pretty expensive purchase you could have fixed the code!!!

considering the code was changed by unity before 2011 how can this error still be in the script in the package in 2022?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2022
  41. melonhead

melonhead

this is rediculous how the hell am i meant to import the terrain collection, as soon as the import is done there is the above red error i fix the script again but the terrain collection is not in the project, if i re import it i again get the red error , is no one else having this problem?

spent a lot of money on this and it wont install

42. melonhead

melonhead

not sure why i am having so much problems installing this asset, tried in 2020 3 33f1, press import shows importing but when check there is nothing installed, in 2019 i was getting red error after import, remember these are clean new projects with nothing else installed, just re-downloaded after it said i had an old version downloaded, how can that be when i chose the latest version, so i redownload, import andthank god the folders are now there, this has not been an easy process, just hope i can get it into 2019 as there are some reasons i want it in that unity version. fingers crossed

43. melonhead

melonhead

ok so now the packages are installed i thought the microsplat was included as it says core installed but there is no where to add microsplat terrain, this asset is a mess, so do i now need to install microsplat aswell?

44. Rowlan

Rowlan

Please use discord for asset support:

https://discord.gg/W5QyhSac

45. melonhead

melonhead

finally worked out that the package was not fully downloading for some reason, package size was about 450mb when i finally got the full package downloaded it was over 530mb so problem seems to be package manager not installing properly so problem now sorted thanks

46. olavrv

olavrv

@jbooth Hello Sir, after upgrading to latest version (Microsplat and tesselation package), using Unity 2022.1.22f1 HDRP, I am unable to make builds. Get a mysterious error message of file disappearing during asset packaging or something like this. When reverting to previous version, everything works fine.

Sorry for bad info, not good for finding issue - but I don't remember the exact error message.

PS: I saw that in new version there was a "MergeInChannel.shader" - could this be the cause?

47. chuckyluv869

chuckyluv869

Hello, is there a way to use the terrain/mesh blending feature without replacing the terrain materials or using any other of the MicroSplat core features?

48. daoviettuan2002

daoviettuan2002

I plan to buy Microsplat tool to build maps for mobile games (URP), But I see there are 2 versions MicroSplat - Ultimate Bundle and MicroSplat - Terrain Collection, pls tell me which version should I buy, and which one is suitable?

49. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

The author does not answer to questions in this forums.

stigmamax likes this.
  50. sebas77

sebas77

Does anyone here know how to change the max mip of a texture array? It's relatively unrelated to MS as it's a Unity problem, but someone here must have noticed it.

"Master texture only works on regular 2D textures. It does not adjust other texture types such as cubemaps or array textures. The master texture limit quality setting also has no effect on non-mipmapped textures."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.