Search Unity

[FREE]MicroSplat, a modular terrain shading system for Unity Terrains

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by jbooth, Aug 9, 2017.

1. JWLewis777

JWLewis777

I purchased the Microsplat Ultimate Bundle
    Checking out the Mesh Workflow with Unity 2020.3.0f1, Windows 10 Pro
    Start a new scene
    Add a plane, scale it up to 10,1,10
    Add the MicrosplatVertexMesh to the plane

Select Shader Type = combined and leave Create Texture Array config ticked, clicking the Create Required Data and pointing to a folder will cause constant Assertion Failed errors to spam console

Select Shader Type = combined and Untick Create Texture Array Config, then click the Create Required Data and point to a folder works. But I have no idea where to go from here. The docs dont cover this workflow in the MS mesh workflow PDF

Select Shader Type = Splatmap and leave Create Texture Array config ticked, clicking the Create Required Data and pointing to a folder will cause constant Assertion Failed errors to spam console

Select Shader Type = Overlay and leave Create Texture Array config ticked, clicking the Create Required Data and pointing to a folder will cause constant Assertion Failed errors to spam console

I did verify the plane mesh was Read/Write enabled.

Since its giving this error, I can't move forward, there are no texture array configs created in the folder and nothing else shows in the inspector, just the Micropslat Shader Generator no matter what I select in the Hierarchy.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. jbooth

jbooth

Whats the actual error?

3. JWLewis777

JWLewis777

Console says Assertion Failed, it will continuously spam it, even if I change scenes. I have to close unity and restart.

MicroSplat_Mesh_Workflow_Assertion_Failed_Error.PNG

4. jbooth

jbooth

That's from something in Unity, not MicroSplat. I would try in a fresh project and not in the latest patch release of Unity. The 2020.3.f0 release was incredibly buggy..

5. JWLewis777

JWLewis777

Yes, that worked.
    Frickin unity, as much as I love it, sometimes I just hate it

Thank you!

6. GoedWare

GoedWare

Just a question:
    Is it possible to make the URP shader to draw transparency (to make the terrain transparent).
    And if it is not out of the box, can I adjust the shader manually to do so?

7. jbooth

jbooth

You'd have to add the feature yourself..

8. GoedWare

GoedWare

Thanks for the quick reply!
    I managed to manually adjust the Blend value and surface.alpha value in the URP Password text file and and that resulted in my terrain now being semi-transparent (which was my goal at this time).

Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
  9. bngames

bngames

Not working in 2019.4.30f1

Assets\MegaSplat\TerrainPainter\Editor\TerrainPainterWindow.cs(47,90): error CS0619: 'SelectionMode.OnlyUserModifiable' is obsolete: ''OnlyUserModifiable' is obsolete. Use 'Editable' instead. (UnityUpgradeable) -> Editable'

Assets\MegaSplat\Scripts\Editor\TextureGraph\Node_Editor\MegaSplatTextureGraphWindow.cs(285,105): error CS0619: 'SelectionMode.OnlyUserModifiable' is obsolete: ''OnlyUserModifiable' is obsolete. Use 'Editable' instead. (UnityUpgradeable) -> Editable'

10. jbooth

jbooth

Wrong thread, but remove the || SelectionMode.OnlyUserModifiable from those two lines..

11. LibooSoft

LibooSoft

Hi. I have bought and installed my first two parts of MicroSplat. "Core" and "Anti-Tilling" to try out for my project. I created the shader, but some how I see no traces of the options for the anti-tile module in the shader. Have looked ad the documentation and video(s) I could find regarding Anti-Tiling with out finding any clues for this. Bett its a stupid simpel answer for this, but right now it just takes time and cant find out why. What am I missing?

I run Unity 2020.3.14f right now.

upload_2021-10-9_11-52-36.png

upload_2021-10-9_11-51-45.png

12. jbooth

jbooth

Any console errors? Try in a new project?

13. LibooSoft

LibooSoft

Hey, after some retry and after starting up other version of the project I think i figured it out. The thing is, I was looking for a Anti-tiling solution. So I installed that before the required Microsplat. So Install order do count even if they are both in place. Thought there would be some a bit silly answer to this. Anyway, after trying it out. Thanks for the grate work you have done here with the tools, and for rensopning to my question.
    Best regards! :)

14. Sheppard_25

Sheppard_25

Hi, trying to use terrain blending with mapmagic, but it always blend the object with the index0 texture.
    I just added the microsplat terrain script to the mapmagic terrain, and enabled terrain blending.

15. jbooth

jbooth

Is Map Magic setup with the MicroSplat output or standard? Because when using the MicroSplat output, I think Map Magic bypasses setting splat maps on the terrain, instead setting them directly on the material instance and avoiding the CPU overhead, which means the original terrain has blank splat maps. You'd have to ask in the Map Magic forums to be sure though, he wrote that output node.

16. Sheppard_25

Sheppard_25

Hi, using the standard texture node it works fine :), i'll ask in the mapmagic forum about the microsplat node.
    Thanks!

17. mike114

mike114

Hello, I'm trying to use splat fade distance with a satellite image, is it possible to have no tiling on it?

18. RSalway

RSalway

I'm working on an old project built in 2019.2.2 Already updated from 2018.2.14 and while each Unity update takes a while to rebuild and fix things throughout multiple scripts I'm hopping there is a way to get ahold of an old MicroSplat version that I can use for Snow accumulation in conjunction with Enviro Sky and Weather.

In summery is there a repo of old versions that I can pull an outdated version from? If yes what version should be used with Unity 2019.2.2? (or the Next LTS Unity version if needed)

19. jbooth

jbooth

No tiling on what? The splats will do whatever you set them to, but the global texture is just a texture- so it's whatever you have in that texture.

The current version is for Unity 2019+, so you should be fine. The only old versions available are in the asset store when downloading from older version of Unity.

20. RSalway

RSalway

Ok but at version 3.8 the notes on the asset store say the minimum version is now 2019.4 but if you say it works I will import 3.8.13 and it should work. Thanks!

21. jbooth

jbooth

Hmm, yeah, there might be some scriptable asset importer thing that was introduced during the 2019 cycle that it needs. If you download with 2018, it will give you the last 3.7 version of MicroSplat..

22. RSalway

RSalway

Ok Its all working but is there a way to tweak the height clearing and erosion to get the snow off of a raised road. A spline system or some colliders or mask that block snow from the desired area?

Where are the tutorials for this tool?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
  23. jbooth

jbooth

There's like hundreds of pages of documentation in the documentation directory, and links to the video tutorials of every module in the asset description. You kinda have to work to miss it all. There's a snow masking system as well.

24. mike114

mike114

My bad, the satellite image was tiling because i forgot to change the default global UV scale, it's all good now.

25. RSalway

RSalway

I only had a 7 page document but reloading the asset I now have all the documentation. Thanks.

26. DJ_Design

DJ_Design

Microsplat Mesh Workflow generates a white texture for any of my own textures I use outside of microsplat.
    For reference I'm trying to paint a uv'd mesh, which will work if I'm using microsplat defaults, not in my own material though.

I've regenerated the array recreated the array recompiled the shaders used microsplat's default array adding textures I've updated the config I've synced the object I've reimported in a fresh project I'm so frustrated with this!

Also, when hitting "create required data" exactly as it shows in the doc, the object goes pink and creates an error "Shader error in 'Hidden/MicroSplat/sand_plane_Base': 'SAMPLE_TEXTURE2D_ARRAY': Too few arguments to a macro call. at line 2591"

I simply do not understand I've watched your tutorials, read the doc, the textures are IDENTICAL in settings.

What am I doing wrong, that isn't specified in the docs that should be?
    or, did I miss something completely obvious. Other people don't seem to be having this issue.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021 at 11:39 PM
  27. jbooth

jbooth

I'm not sure what you are describing here- what do you mean by "textures I use outside of MicroSplat"? Do you mean the result is white? Did you assign the texture array's to the material? Just like you have to assign a texture to a regular material, you need to assign the texture arrays in the MicroSplatData directory to the microsplat material.

Can you post the line of code that it shows when you click on that error? The 3.9 update change a large number of sample functions, and it's likely that there's one missing something..

28. jbooth

jbooth

Ok, managed to repro this- if you select the material and change any option on the shader, it will recompile it and fix it- will ship a patch to make it not error on first compile.

29. DJ_Design

DJ_Design

I could have worded this all better apologies, frustrations no excuse. By textures outside of Microsplat I mean any of my own textures, outside of Microsplat's defaults imported with the package.

The result in painting a texture (that is not native to Microsplat) the result is white, exactly.
    I have yes, made sure to have assigned the array to the slot in the material like shown in the videos.

Assuming by your last post this has already been found. Clicking on any of the options does fix that, no more pink.

Just tried it again to make sure I wasn't crazy, could still be but I know for certain it's all hooked up. The material shows the textures in the array correctly, but when the shader is recompiled to generate the default array onto the plane it shows white where a texture would be.

Edit** My own textures are in fact painting now, but only, the first one in the array is white- so apparently it wasn't declining other textures it's the position in the array? I'm not sure.. I believe to have been painting the first one in the array before, and another position was white instead so this still isn't making sense to me.

30. jbooth

jbooth

You selected combined mode when you setup the shader - in combined mode, the first index acts as transparency into the regular texturing of the object (ie: I want to paint on an already textured car), and since you haven't put any textures into those slots, they are white. If you only want splat maps, then choose splat mode.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2021 at 3:52 AM
    DJ_Design likes this.
  31. DJ_Design

DJ_Design

Thank you very much. That must have been it.

32. Gamingbir

Gamingbir

Hi, I purchased MicroSplat - Terrain Collection from the humble bundle called power-tools on Jul 18, 2020, 7:16 PM and it only gave me one invoice for the whole bundle. I put the invoice ID in the bot to get access to discord. But it says invalid for some reason. If you can kindly help that would be nice thanks.

33. jbooth

jbooth

Yeah, shoot me the info on discord and I'll run it through..

unityunity