Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[FREE]MicroSplat, a modular terrain shading system for Unity Terrains

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by jbooth, Aug 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bluepulsar

Bluepulsar

Hi there,
    First of all, big fan of your work. I stumbled across two problems setting up Microsplat for my HDRP Project. I didn't really find anything on google so i wanted to ask here.
    First, more important problem, I tried adding the Tessellation and Parallax Package, but now i get this error:

(Tied including as much info as possible in on screencap)

upload_2021-6-12_10-15-32.png

Any Idea on how to solve this?
    Thanks in advance for your time

Greetings Bluepulsar

(I will post my second problem afterwards)

Edit:
    I tried reimporting the whole project, like it's said, but it throws an error trying that and i have to skip this package.

2. jbooth

jbooth

You need to update to 3.8 of the core module - it's not listed in your packages (most likely you have an old version in assets) - note the package manager is broken in many versions of Unity and requires manually clearing the cache folder otherwise it will keep giving you old versions.

3. Bluepulsar

Bluepulsar

Oh wow, i didn't check this, asuming i was on current version :/
    Thank you so much for the quick response ^^

Okay now the error is gone, but options for parallax/tesselation don't seem to appear:

upload_2021-6-12_16-45-17.png

With this screenshot i gonna ask my second question as well. Is the Anti Tiling Module working correctly for me? I am new to all this and expected the texture to not be in this square patterns after using it. Or did i misunderstand the feature?

Lastly, i found another bug. When updating the Microsplat Config Scriptable Object this happens:

upload_2021-6-12_16-52-12.png

Additionally the Tiling settings for each texture terrian layer don't seem to work (e.g. changing the size of tiling).

I now vomited out all my current problems, sorry for this all, but yeah i am new to the whole wolrdbuilding stuff.

Greetings
    Bluepulsar

4. jbooth

jbooth

Anti-tiling is not one feature, it's a collection of different features. Simply turning them all on without understanding what they do is not going to give you a good effect- each has it's own use case.

This can be ignored, sometimes Unity throws this when operations take a long time while drawing the UI.

Read the core documentation, Terrain Layers aren't used in MicroSplat.

5. Bluepulsar

Bluepulsar

Thanks for the advice. Appreciate it very much.
    Still i don't seem to have options for tesselation, even after checking i have the newest version.
    I don't find any additional setup requirments in the docs, is it avialable in HDRP?

That's my last question i swear :D

6. 30035172

thx it works now

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
    jbooth likes this.
  7. Bluepulsar

Bluepulsar

Mine works as well, after I imported another package :D

jbooth likes this.
  8. afterdark1973

afterdark1973

Hi! I am looking to invest in a number of these assets for a Unity 2020.3 / HDRP 10.4 project - what assets are not compatible with HDRP please? We are also using VSPro and Gaia Pro if that matters - thanks

9. gozdagb

gozdagb

where can i get the texturing procedure as an asset, not as a package?

10. NotQuiteSmith

NotQuiteSmith

Hi,
    Are there any tutorials on using Microsplat with Gaia 2? Having a few problems and not sure which package is causing it or if it's just the interaction (or my fault of course).
    • Gaia Biome textures not being picked up by Microsplat (sand/grass masks get completely overwritten by more "general" textures lower in stack)
    • Occasional black texture on whole terrain and/or missing terrain (playing with "Draw Instanced" on terrain after reading some posts)
    • Microsplat seems to confuse Gaia's masking (after conversion, the "Sea Level" is wrong and Gaia UI thinks the terrain is only 5m from top to bottom)
    • Sometimes have to change a Microsplat property to force shader recompile (which usually cause textures to reappear - but still not getting all textures correctly, as above).

I'm coming back to Microsplat after a while - I have core + anti-tiling/tessellation/triplanaruv/texturecluster in Unity 2020.3.9f1 and I got the 2020 URP pack today (all installed in a new project - no previous microsplat version). I have used it with Terrain Composer 2 in the past - I know there were some hoops to jump through but it basically worked OK.

Any advice/tutorials would be great!

Thanks.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
  11. gtzpower

gtzpower

Is there any way to have generate noise based tinting to get some variation in color with the procedural texturing or the anti-tiling add-on? Looking to create something like this:

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
  12. gtzpower

gtzpower

Another question, with the Anti-Tiling module, I seem to get nothing out of the detail noise, distance noise, and normal noise functions. I have watched the videos on how these things should work (for example, the first 1:30 of this video), but when I apply the same changes that you do in the videos, I see no visual difference like the changes shown in the videos. Thoughts?

13. cprelot_Bkom

cprelot_Bkom

ok here is our problem
    we just bought the mesh workflow module but it's outdated since we need to update the microsplat core to 3.8 and we dont want lose any of our previous work
    is it possible to get a previous 3.7 version of the module somewhere?
    I can't see on the asset manager thanks

14. jbooth

jbooth

Upgrading won’t erase your work.

15. jbooth

jbooth

there’s no colored noise, per se, but you could use a tint map in the global texturing module to create this kind of effect.

16. gtzpower

gtzpower

I figured out my issue with this. I had to set the noise scale between 0.01 and 0.0001 (depending on the functionality being used) for it to become visible. It was just too fine to notice I guess.

17. gtzpower

gtzpower

Just picked up the global texturing module. The tint map looks great, but is there any way to make it apply in world space? I have dynamically generated terrain tiles with mixed sizes, so a world space tint would be ideal. I could compute and update UV coordinate/scale upon tile generation as a last resort.

18. cprelot_Bkom

cprelot_Bkom

so what is the solution to blend some big rock into the terrain on HDRP ?
    we bought the terrain blending module but it's not compatible with HDRP ?
    do you still work on this plugins?

19. jbooth

jbooth

Seriously? You can't scroll up and see how often I reply on this thread to see if I'm still active or not? I'll never understand why people asking for support think the first thing they should do is accuse you of abandoning your assets. Why should I spend my time helping you with this kind of attitude? You last message was complaining that you couldn't upgrade to the latest version, but apparently I'm not working on these assets anymore?

ledshok and Willbkool_FPCS like this.
  20. redactedohno

redactedohno

Hey.

Just started using the Decal module with HDRP, but experiencing seams if two or more static decals are overlapping. It looks like the decal with the lowest 'Sort Order' value shows the seam. The decals consist only of a diffuse and an alpha map, nothing else. I've already increased the 'Static Cache Size' to max, but it doesn't appear to have an effect on this.

Anything I or you can do about this?

Attached Files:

21. jbooth

jbooth

interesting- looks like a derivative issue, which I thought I had fixed all of, I’ll check it out and see if I can repro it..

22. cprelot_Bkom

cprelot_Bkom

well I'm not complaining , I just wanted some support since our game have lots of dependence with your Microsplat plugins and the documention are not very clear and outdated
    sorry we dont have time to scroll for hours to find our answer...
    I really like some of you plugins but it's a big mess when working on HDRP

23. gecko

gecko

Sorry but Jason's PDF docs for Microsplat are some of the best I've ever seen. Extremely clear, well organized, and comprehensive. And up to date. I don't really know what you've been looking at, but not the docs that come with MS.

fusion242 likes this.
  24. jbooth

jbooth

So another “I don’t want to read the documentation, I’d like you to spend your time writing custom documentation for me instead”.

In other words, you think the few dollars you spent on MicroSplat requires me to spend unlimited time babying you, because your time is precious and my time is indentured servitude?

No thanks- I’m 200/hr for someone with that attitude.

25. zeux-n00b

zeux-n00b

Helo!
    From a long vacation not using Unity, i installed fresh new Unity 2020.3.version and project. I updated assets as well and i crush into a problem. Im not sure if this is a major or minor issue... Capture.JPG
    Whats the simplest plug and play solution right now? Downgrade to MicroSplat 3.7 version for now? If so then im afraid that i have deleted the pack bacause i was doding some fast data cleaning. thx for any advice!

26. jbooth

jbooth

Map Magic needs an asmdef reference to MicroSplat, or you can move MicroSplat to the assets folder (from Library/Package Cache) and remove all it's asmdef's/ref's

27. mglass02

mglass02

Hi Jason, im hoping you may possibly be able to help me with a rather a stupid mistake ive made...
    Ive recently upgraded my project to URP 2020.3 and purchased the URP support pack for Microsplat - in my stupidity of not reading at the time, i didn't release there was a 2019 and 2020 separately.

Im not looking for a refund per say, basically a straight switch for the 2020 asset as i seen they are priced the same.
    I do apologise for asking this, rather embarrassing.
    I hope we can sort something out, i do love your assets however at the moment my mistake is causing me some trouble with them. upload_2021-6-20_22-52-44.png

28. hauwing

hauwing

Hi in Trax how to setup such that the proxy primitives do not actually get rendered and yet leave a trail? tried using a total transparent material for the shapes in the sample scene still does not work (no trails)...

upload_2021-6-23_22-50-19.png

29. jbooth

jbooth

Use a different camera layer..

30. kopanz

kopanz

Hi,

When I'm using Microsplat Trax i occasionally encounter big flat spots which is completely filled with Trax marks and it's as big as the trax world size. If i will continue to roam around and come to the same spot after a few minutes those problematic area is dissapearing. It's happening both in unity editor and build. I'm using the standard workflow to use Trax. I attached Trax Manager to the Camera. But i use Trax Texture in Array mode, because i only want trax on sand texture.I just imported Trax package today, it should be the latest version.

trax.jpg

31. jbooth

jbooth

Do you have something getting rendered into the trax camera that's causing this? That would be my guess..

32. kopanz

kopanz

The layer mask i choose for the Trax is "WheelMesh" and i only assign "WheelMesh" layer to vehicle wheels in script. No other meshes in the scene have the same layer mask. I setup Trax to my game in about 15 minutes but I'm having a weird bug :D

I have custom softbody physics engine running inside Unity. I attach wheel meshes to the softbody by doing some calculations. Those scripts are also running in the main thread but could Trax get some wrong position values and cause a bug here ?

33. kopanz

kopanz

When the tires bump into the terrain hard it creates puddles instead of tire tracks. And tracks appearing around the car like small dots are also actually a glitch. I wanted to add this information because it could help to solve the issue.
    trax3.jpg

34. jbooth

jbooth

Trax renders the scene with the layer filters, so it uses whatever position things are at when it renders the camera (I believe in LateUpdate?). In SRPs, the camera is rendered by the pipeline, and happens whenever it renders that camera based on camera order.

35. jbooth

jbooth

That's because the bottom of the car is hitting the terrain - the Unity physics system doesn't prevent things from intersecting, so if you move fast enough with a low physics frame rate, the whole car can end up below the terrain. in the docs, there's an example showing how to model a proxy mesh to prevent issues like this.

There's been like dozens of car games done with trax, so I think the errant dots and large areas are likely something with how you're handling your car, not actually trax. Something is rendering there causing the depression..

36. kopanz

kopanz

Ok, i will try to clear out the issues by working with the Trax for more days. I just installed it.

37. Nirvan

Nirvan

Every time I want to paint terrain it's getting erased with this back squares :/
    But when I spawn textures for example through Gaia's spawner then it's ok.
    Am I missing some switch for enabling painting on terrain with microsplat?
    (yesterday I tried like everything possible and it won't go away)
    upload_2021-6-29_10-58-42.png

Edit: Well I should have done it in the first place, I exported heightmap and added microsplat on clean terrain and now it's working

Last edited: Jun 29, 2021
  38. hauwing

hauwing

Hello, trying procedural texturing in standard rendering. In order to save some runtime resource, I bake the textures into the terrain. Below is what is looks like before baking:
    upload_2021-6-29_20-52-33.png

below is after baking and disabled the Procedural Texture in the Microsplat material
    upload_2021-6-29_20-52-37.png

Some settings, below: Any idea?
    upload_2021-6-29_20-52-41.png
    upload_2021-6-29_20-52-45.png

39. jbooth

jbooth

Any chance you can make a small repro project and PM it to me?

40. hauwing

hauwing

yes will do thx

41. DanielSnd

DanielSnd

At certain angles I get an ugly white reflection on the terrain.
    It’s a mesh terrain using URP, tried changing some options but nothing seems to affect it.
    Any ideas on what I can do to fix it?

42. mthawley

mthawley

Hi. Any plans on making the Polaris Module URP compatible?

43. jbooth

jbooth

It is..

44. mthawley

mthawley

Ah ok thx. The Asset Store shows it as being only Standard compatible.

45. jbooth

jbooth

There’s not a “comparable with separate purchase” option. If I say it’s URP compatible then people get pissed that they need the URP adapter, if I say it’s not compatible then people don’t realize it is. Either way, someone gets confused because the asset store and Unity in general hadn’t really thought SRPs through, and publishers have to just deal with it.

As an example, I have one idiot freaking out on the trax reviews and accusing me of being deceptive because the video shows trax with tessellation enabled (it also shows with snow enabled, which he apparently has no issue with). Even though the description makes it very clear that you need tessellation enabled to modify the physical terrain, this is the reaction you get.

and then unity will just slap a “refunds: we’ve got you covered” banner onto your assets, even though they don’t. So yeah, everything is set to minimize bs, which in this case is not checking the compatability option.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2021
  46. mthawley

mthawley

Sheesh! Talk about Catch 22... Cheers.

47. IgorAherne

IgorAherne

Jason, there seems to be a bug with normal maps. Have a look what the point-light is producing:
    upload_2021-7-4_20-33-35.png
    Here is the normal map:

48. jbooth

jbooth

the asset store is downloading an internal shader used for packing normals as a 0 byte file in the free version of MicroSplat- I submitted a patch last Wednesday but they haven’t released it yet.

49. ulthien

ulthien

Well... i tried optimize my terrain for Oculus Quest little demo app i play with. Unity 2021.1.1f

With all the models and Mixamo animated humanoids the app was about 900MB, ran at 25-55 FPS. Render pipelines set to NONE overall.

Enter MicroSplat, in great hopes, after i read the docu saying how to convert your existing terrain.

It worked for like half an hour, i had to press SYNC to even see the textures on the terrain, and the app generated was:

500 MB bigger (Oculus could not start it!)...

After removing most of my complex models like humanoids and vehicles, app got down to below 1 GB and ran, but:

NOW, WITHOUT even my most complex models & animations, Microsplat-converted, the app runs at steady miserable 12 FPS... (????!)

Please help? This has been a great dissapointment as i was restructurin the app for 2 weeks, making copies and versions etc, to achieve .. this . heh

50. jbooth

jbooth

No support for people who basically 1 star my asset as a way to say hello. Please don't use my stuff, I don't need to spend my free time helping people who are rude.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.