Search Unity

[FREE]MicroSplat, a modular terrain shading system for Unity Terrains

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by jbooth, Aug 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbooth

jbooth

Do you have multiple propData objects in your MicroSplatData directory? This often happens when people rename things in there and the system can't find it and creates a second one..

2. shawnblais

shawnblais

Looks like I have just the one, but thanks for the lead, I will try re-creating the material from scratch.

This does bring me to another issue I had, all the docs assume that you are converting an existing terrain to MicroSplat, but in my case, I have a MM2 module, and just need to create a new MS material from scratch that I can assign to this module. Did I miss the instructions on how to do that? iirc last time I just duplicated the example folder, because I couldn't figure it out.

I just want to create a fresh MS material from scratch that I can begin adding textures to.

[Edit] Happy to report that making a new material seems to have fixed that issue. To make it, I had to assign a Microsplat component to my terrain, generate the Material and them remove the component.It created a totally empty material, but that was fine.

In terms of the docs, they say something like "If you have an existing Unity terrain setup is easy"... it would be nice if they mentioned the alternative, "If you don't have an existing terrain, just do X". It would be quite nice from a UX perspective to have a little wizard that asks me for a folder, and then created a new MS material there.

Cheers, thanks for the lightning fast reponses!

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
  3. jbooth

jbooth

- Create a MicroSplatData directory
    - Create/MicroSplat/MicroSplat Shader
    - Create/MicroSplat/Texture Array Config
    - Create a material and assign it to the shader, you'll want to toggle an option to generate the code for the shader.

shawnblais likes this.
  4. Casanuda

Casanuda

Hi,

Is Trax working on HDRP?

Thanks
    Cas

5. jbooth

jbooth

yes..

6. PolusX

PolusX

Hi. How delete microsplat asset? and return unity terrain system?

7. jbooth

jbooth

Remove the component, reset the terrains base map values to something greater than 0..

8. David_AuthorDigital

David_AuthorDigital

I'm seeing a problem with dynamic flows in HDRP. I'm using Unity 2019.4.7f1 and HDRP 7.3.1 with these packages: MicroSplat, MicroSplat Terrain Collection, and MicroSplat HDRP Support. Using the Core/Examples scene in a project in using the built-in renderer I have the dynamic flows working as expected, but when I use the example scene in the CoreHD directory in an HDRP project the dynamic flows do not expand as expected. They start and then it acts like the evaporation or something else is drying them all up almost instantly. If I set the Speed in the Stream Manager to 10 the dynamic flow will be a small, but visible, rapidly simulating blob. It still will not flow through the scene. It appears like the simulation rate is somehow out of whack in HDRP.

I've had mixed , but successful results using puddles and streams painted with Terrain FX Painter in HDRP. Initially they didn't show up but after running the scene once they did.

Any suggestions on how to get the dynamic flows to behave better in HDRP?

If it will help I can post all the settings, but I've compared the values between the two projects (built in renderer where it works and the HDRP where it doesn't). I've generated the Terrain Descriptor Data, tried many different settings on the StreamManager, and the MicroSplat material used on the terrain. Thanks!

9. jbooth

jbooth

Yeah, so this is a bit of a story- but basically when Unity introduced SRPs they also introduced CustomRenderTextures, and as of Unity 2019.4 or so, they are the only unified way to get certain things in the Dynamic Streams to work. However, there's currently a bug (submitted, repro'd by unity, waiting on the fix) where these don't always work correctly on windows - usually this causes them to flicker in and out of existence, though, so the bug your seeing may be different. Does the simulation that you can see look stable, or does it flicker in/out?

10. Stokyll

Stokyll

I just got the AmplifyStochasticNode and I tried to open the Example up and amplify gives me the error " AmplifyShaderEditor .AmplifyStochasticNode Is Not A Valid ASE node" I am on unity Version 2019.4.20f1 and amplify version 1.8.6

11. JohnnyFactor

JohnnyFactor

Can Mesh Terrains account for Pixel Error? I have a fixed camera and fixed terrain so exporting with Pixel Error baked in would be helpful.

12. jbooth

jbooth

No, they are fixed tessellation amounts.

13. jbooth

jbooth

There was a recent update to ASE to fix issues with this, not sure exactly what version it was, but I'd upgrade to the latest if you haven't already..

14. David_AuthorDigital

David_AuthorDigital

In the first scene where I ran into the problem, they were definitely flickering in and out. The second scene was much simpler and I do think there was also some flickering there as well. So, probably the same bug. Thanks for the info!

15. Elervax

Elervax

Hello,
    I´m having problems with height based blend in HDRP.
    I´m not sure why it isn´t blending using the height map. I set Height based blend in the shader and under triplanar i also set triplanar height blend.

Attached Files:

• hbb.PNG
      hbb.PNG
      File size:
      553.7 KB
      Views:
  16. jbooth

jbooth

What do your height maps look like?

17. Elervax

Elervax

I set custom and A channel at heightmaps in the texture array.

Attached Files:

18. Slowin

Slowin

Hi,

I'm using Unity 2020.2.0b10 and the newest version of Micro Splat for HDRP together with Procedural Texturing and Anti-Tiling.

My terrain textures disappeared recently and I receive this error message now:

Shader error in 'MicroSplat/Bulge_A_0_0': 'GetDecalSurfaceData': no matching 2 parameter function at line 23703 (on d3d11)

Compiling Vertex program with DECALS_3RT
    Platform defines: UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_USE_DITHER_MASK_FOR_ALPHABLENDED_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF1 UNITY_SPECCUBE_BOX_PROJECTION UNITY_SPECCUBE_BLENDING UNITY_ENABLE_DETAIL_NORMALMAP SHADER_API_DESKTOP UNITY_LIGHT_PROBE_PROXY_VOLUME UNITY_LIGHTMAP_FULL_HDR
    Disabled keywords: _SURFACE_TYPE_TRANSPARENT DEBUG_DISPLAY LIGHTMAP_ON DIRLIGHTMAP_COMBINED DYNAMICLIGHTMAP_ON SHADOWS_SHADOWMASK DECALS_OFF DECALS_4RT LIGHT_LAYERS INSTANCING_ON _TERRAIN_INSTANCED_PERPIXEL_NORMAL _ALPHATEST_ON _DOUBLESIDED_ON _BLENDMODE_ALPHA _BLENDMODE_ADD _BLENDMODE_PRE_MULTIPLY UNITY_NO_DXT5nm UNITY_ENABLE_NATIVE_SHADOW_LOOKUPS UNITY_METAL_SHADOWS_USE_POINT_FILTERING UNITY_NO_SCREENSPACE_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF2 UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF3 UNITY_NO_FULL_STANDARD_SHADER UNITY_HARDWARE_TIER1 UNITY_HARDWARE_TIER2 UNITY_HARDWARE_TIER3 UNITY_COLORSPACE_GAMMA UNITY_HALF_PRECISION_FRAGMENT_SHADER_REGISTERS UNITY_LIGHTMAP_DLDR_ENCODING UNITY_LIGHTMAP_RGBM_ENCODING UNITY_VIRTUAL_TEXTURING UNITY_PRETRANSFORM_TO_DISPLAY_ORIENTATION UNITY_ASTC_NORMALMAP_ENCODING SHADER_API_GLES30

Anything I can do here?

Thanks

19. jbooth

jbooth

Use the supported version of HDRP instead of an alpha one..

20. Slowin

Slowin

So it's not compatible right now? I''m using HDRP 10.1.0.

The strange thing is that it did work when I upgraded to Unity 2020.2.0b10 initially.

21. jbooth

jbooth

yeah, unity tends to change and break things during betas and alphas, so use them at your own risk..

22. Berir

Berir

I am looking for a tool to paint my hexagon mesh tiles, with some kind of terrain tool ... can I convert Hex shape into terrain? or would any microsplat module be good to recreate terrain like textures with Lod on hexagon mesh?thanks

23. StayAw4ke

StayAw4ke

Can anybody help? I have my terrain rendered white depending on camera position. My UVs are 500x500, when i set to smaller values, the white area shrinks, but is still visible in some areas.. I'm using microsplat with mapMagic & enviro.

Attached Files:

24. jbooth

jbooth

there was a bug a while back that the past mip map would end up white. Upgrade to the latest and hit Update on your Texture Array Configs.

25. StayAw4ke

StayAw4ke

I've upgraded to latest packages but that didn't help. Not sure where to look next . I'm reverting from 2020 to 2019 unity version with hope to solve this.

26. jbooth

jbooth

You might try clearing the asset store cache to make sure your really getting the latest version- it looks like that bug to me. Basically, if it is, it's dependent on distance/view and goes white in the last mip map (when the texture is approaching only a few pixel in size on the screen).

StayAw4ke likes this.
  27. StayAw4ke

StayAw4ke

I've cleared the cache, downloaded fresh packages, updated texture map, but still have the same problem. I'm using Unity 2020.1.2f / Microsplat 3.53 (as listed in package manager). Would appreciate further help on this.

28. jbooth

jbooth

If you select the texture array in the inspector, you should be able to look at the different mip levels and see if the last one is white..

29. StayAw4ke

StayAw4ke

Not quite sure what you mean by mip levels. I'm attaching inspector screens, maybe you can already see something wrong here.

Attached Files:

30. DGordon

DGordon

Any chance HDRP Tessellation is in the works, or is it blocked by Unity?

31. jbooth

jbooth

No, select the actual texture array file and there's a slider in the inspector that lets you inspect each mip level.

32. jbooth

jbooth

It's not blocked, rather it's impractical to drift far from the shader graph output due to HDRP constantly changing. Basically without a proper abstraction layer Unity's new shader system is fundamentally brittle - so if I rewrite the shader too much, it becomes extremely difficult to maintain through changes.

33. StayAw4ke

StayAw4ke

Texture array attached to my terrain -- selected 3rd item (Element 2) which revealed it's all black. If i'm not looking at the right place, could you please add a screenshot, or point me to the right direction. Thanks.

Attached Files:

34. jbooth

jbooth

See the little slider above the image? You have to slide that to view the various mip maps.

35. StayAw4ke

StayAw4ke

Thanks. In diff array i find every texture to be ok (no white ones). On normSAO array some are light blue, some are pink/green so i suppose everything is setup properly here?

36. jbooth

jbooth

Well then it's not that. Hmm. Can you post a little video of how it reacts with camera motion, etc? Might be easier to see what's going on..

37. nimatode

nimatode

Hello, I've updated my Microsplat to version 3.53 and I'm using Unity 20193.12f1 and I'm getting error
    Assets\MicroSplat\Core\Scripts\Editor\MicroSplatShaderGUI.cs(107,25): error CS0115: 'MicroSplatShaderGUI.OnGUI(MaterialEditor, MaterialProperty[])': no suitable method found to override
    can anyone help me? Thanks

38. jbooth

jbooth

I'd try deleting and reinstalling core, sounds like some files are missing or something else in your project is not compiling..

39. nimatode

nimatode

Okay. I'm also getting errors:

Assets\MicroSplat\Tessellation\Scripts\Editor\MicroSplatTessellation.cs(115,28): error CS0115: 'MicroSplatTessellation.DrawShaderGUI(MicroSplatShaderGUI, Material, MaterialEditor, MaterialProperty[])': no suitable method found to override

To reinstall the core, would I just remove the Mircosplat Core folder in the project and re-import it?

40. jbooth

jbooth

I'd reinstall it all, and make sure your versions are all up to date- if they are out of sync compile errors are common. Yeah, just delete the folders and reinstall the latest from the store.

41. StayAw4ke

StayAw4ke

42. jbooth

jbooth

It really does look exactly like that mip mapping bug. Can you PM a copy of the project, complete with library folder so I can load it in without it regenerating the arrays to look at it? (Your on windows, right?)

43. StayAw4ke

StayAw4ke

Yes, on windows. The project is actually quite big but 'll try to export it without everything else - just a map with textures.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
  44. DanielSnd

DanielSnd

Hi there, I'm trying to optimize my graphics and I was going through Frame Debugger and I realized that there are objects being drawn that are behind the terrain.

I assumed that because of Z-testing pixels behind the terrain wouldn't be drawn but that doesn't seem to be the case. Is there a setting I should check or something I should do to make it draw the terrain first and not draw pixels that would be occluded by the terrain?

45. jbooth

jbooth

It's already done this way - you see them in the frame debugger because they pass culling, which is done on an object, not pixel basis.

46. N1warhead

N1warhead

@jbooth I'm having a massive issue with the package manager. For the longest I've always wondered where Microsplat was, etc. Turns out Unity website see's that I've purchased (plugins for it), (as the screenshot shows). But yet in the package manager it doesn't detect this. IT DOES let me import it so long as I go to asset store and press open in unity or whatever. And then it appears in package manager with a warning saying I may not have purchased it. Heck even the free 'microsplat' doesn't show in the package manager unless I go to asset store to import it.

upload_2020-11-11_5-12-56.png

47. Mushreb

Mushreb

Hi, I bought the Stochastic Height Sampling Node for Amplify Shader Editor plug-in today. After importing, no corresponding nodes appear in ASE. I wonder what I should do. Thanks!

Attached Files:

48. jbooth

jbooth

Upgrade to the latest version of ASE, as they had a fix for this on there end maybe 2 months back..

49. jbooth

jbooth

You should report this to Unity, I didn't write the package manager.

50. crownracing

crownracing

We just purchased Microsplat. Upon reading the instructions, I did not see "Undo."
    Where is the undo function? I need to experiment and will be trying a number of
    adjustments to an image. Need UNDO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.