Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[FREE]MicroSplat, a modular terrain shading system for Unity Terrains

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by jbooth, Aug 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbooth

jbooth

Dropbox and then PM me a link is likely the easiest.

2. Steve2375

Steve2375

I wanted to ask if it is possible to use the shader on a planetary terrain, too? I bought nearly all modules of Microsplat and see in the source code fragments like #if _SPHEREUVS and ApplyPlanet() but I am not able to get this activated. if I use the shader on a terrain that is mapped on a sphere, I get stretching of the UVs in some locations.
    Is there a shader mode or a module that supports planetary terrains?

3. jbooth

jbooth

ApplyPlanet() is a hook for a custom module I wrote for Kerbal Space Program 2, not something publicly available. I do have a new mesh painting system coming out, which will solve the issue of using shaders generated by MicroSplat on arbitrary meshes (as simply putting the terrain shader on there is not going to handle your tangents correctly, among other things). However, if you're trying to do things at actual planet scales, then there are a number of issues you need to solve, such as what to do at the polar regions about UVs, how to handle texture scale, how to handle splat mapping when one pixel in splat map is over a mile in size (This is what the runtime procedural module was written for), etc. Even things like tiling textures become a problem because of UV precision issues on the GPU.

4. Steve2375

Steve2375

True. This sounds as if you solved all these problems already (but for KSP 2) :)
    Our planets are not real scale but maybe 10k radius max. But already on these sizes, the texture scaling is a problem. Let me try the runtime procedural module...

Do you know when the new mesh painting module will be available?

5. jbooth

jbooth

Not sure, but trying to get it ready soon.

6. chrisk

chrisk

Hi,
    I'm trying to create custom package containing Microsplat (Terrain Collection) and having some problems creating AsmDef file. Each individual package has it's own Script and Editor folder and I must create 11 x2 AsmDef files.
    This is quite laborious and I was wondering if you can put them into just a single Script and Editor folder.
    Under the Script and Editor, you will have individual package folders.
    This way we need only two AsmDef files.
    Having AsmDef file is necessary going forward and I hope you consider reorganizing your folder structures.

Thanks.

7. jbooth

jbooth

The asset store cannot distribute things this way, and the majority of MicroSplat is sold as modules which have to be in their own root folders. Why do you consider it necessary to use AsmDef files?

8. chrisk

chrisk

I'm creating a custom package and it requires AsmDef.
    From my point of view, TerrainCollection is a single package and creating AsmDef of each individual one is a bit overkill since there are ~10 different ones.
    Before you distribute TerrainCollection, perhaps you can run a batch process to reorganize the folders?
    Thanks.

9. Barritico

Barritico

Hi

I'm trying to create puddles and humidity in the landscape, but I can't.

The goal would be to do something similar to this:

Is there a tutorial? I can't find anything

With the "enviro" weather system and the "lux water" I have managed to keep the road wet. But there is no way to put it on the ground (attached photos)

Thank you.
    ROAD_RAIN2.png PARAMETERS.png LAND_RAIN.png ROAD_RAIN.png

10. jbooth

jbooth

If you look in the documentation for the streams module, it describes how you can control the global wetness min/max via Shader.SetGlobalFloat calls. You can also pre-bake a map of wetness such that undersides of things (bridges, etc) are excluded (pretty sure I show that off in the tutorial video).

Barritico likes this.
  11. Barritico

Barritico

Thanks and sorry for the inconvenience.

12. Barritico

Barritico

Hello again.

There is a PDF document in the documentation in the STREAM folder. In this document there is no mention of the parameter that you kindly indicate to me.

I use ENVIRO and there is an integration script between both tools. The reference to humidity is like this:

Shader.SetGlobalVector ("_Global_WetnessParams", new Vector2 (EnviroSkyMgr.instance.GetWetnessIntensity (), maxWetness));

Where GetWetnessIntensity () is the humidity existing at a given time (checked) and maxWetness the maximum that is set in the parameter. In my case, 1

But I can't change anything. Neither humidity nor puddles.

I have marked the letter G of the parameters indicating that it is necessary to do it.

I guess I have some incorrect parameter, but I don't know.

Greetings and thank you.

13. jbooth

jbooth

Well, I can't speak for the enviro integration, but I take it if you turn off the global option and use the sliders everything adjusts fine?

14. Rastapastor

Rastapastor

Hi :)

Couple of errors on 2019.3 and HDRP 7.1.6. From brief debugging some of those occur when i select draw instanced in terrain settings. Also the terrain disappears when selecting draw instanced :).
    upload_2019-12-10_21-8-17.png

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
  15. Barritico

Barritico

You can clarify what I told you about the documentation and if the variables to be used (and how to use them) is correct?
    Is there any type of "API reference" or similar?

Thanks.

16. jbooth

jbooth

Thats the correct call, yeah. It's actually in the core documentation (look for globals) because it covers all the globals available. Does it work with the built in sliders?

Barritico likes this.
  17. jbooth

jbooth

Can you re-download HDRP from the store to make sure you have the latest? None of this appears in my copy on windows/osx..

18. Barritico

Barritico

The wetness already appears well.
    The problem was in the porosity value.

I continue with the puddles and the rain drops and I comment.

Thank you.

19. protopop

protopop

Do you think Terrain blending can work with MapMagic since it generates terrain at runtime? On iOS/android?

20. jbooth

jbooth

It would have to generate the terrain descriptor, which should be trivial since it already has the height and normal, and then place the objects as regular game objects (instead of say drawing it through indirect instancing)

protopop likes this.
  21. Rastapastor

Rastapastor

Hmm i have the latest version

upload_2019-12-11_5-12-27.png

upload_2019-12-11_5-12-39.png

upload_2019-12-11_5-13-29.png
    upload_2019-12-11_5-13-45.png

22. jbooth

jbooth

Got to be some other difference- can you tell me what function that error is getting thrown in?

23. Rastapastor

Rastapastor

Sorry for late response but i was at work.

Bear with my stupidity, but what function ? :)

I just click the button that creates microsplat material, change the type to Unity HD and click the draw instanced on the terrain :). Thats the case for me. THe terrain disappears and there are some errors from shader.

I recorded a video to showcase
    https://1drv.ms/v/s!AlDPbyn91-DHgd1zh3nP9FuOqb6O_A?e=vlpdvy

Also as a bonus a disco mode when enabling tesselation :)

Also if its relevant this case was tested on GTX 960M Driver ver 441.66

SRP Ver.
    upload_2019-12-11_16-28-25.png

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
  24. jbooth

jbooth

Tessellation is not supported yet in HDRP. You sure you have the latest version of the HDRP and Core from the store and are not downloading an old version? Maybe clear your asset store cache to be sure? As for "what function", if you double click on the error it will open up the code and show you the error, knowing what function is being called which has that code would be very useful (line numbers are no good since the shader is generated based on features that are enabled)

25. Rastapastor

Rastapastor

Just commenting that Jason helped me on discord. Apparently the wrong version was on Asset store :)

So again thanks for the help.

JBR-games likes this.
  26. kypronite

kypronite

Is this bug fixed?
    I encountered the same problem
    when I try to "Bake Procedural to Terrain' with unity version 2019.3.b07 and microsplat v2.84(latest version)

Code (CSharp):
    1. Destroying object "UnityBlack" is not allowed at this time.
    2. UnityEngine.Object:DestroyImmediate(Object)
    3. MicroSplatTerrainEditor:BakingGUI(MicroSplatTerrain) (at Assets/MicroSplat/Core/Scripts/Editor/MicroSplatTerrainEditor_Baking.cs:118)
    4. MicroSplatTerrainEditor:OnInspectorGUI() (at Assets/MicroSplat/Core/Scripts/Editor/MicroSplatTerrainEditor.cs:234)
    5. UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

27. jbooth

jbooth

Yeah, there's now a check in there explicitly for this..

28. SDPlissken

SDPlissken

Hello, could someone please tell me what I am doing wrong, I cannot get the MicroSplat lava/water etc to work and am getting nothing or errors. I am using Unity 2019.1.6f1. I have followed the youtube video but it doesn't work on my end.

Steps:
    - New Project
    - Add GameObject/3D Object/Terrain
    - Add a grass texture and some mountains
    - Add component MicroSplat Terrain and convert to MicroSplat
    - Add smoothness, height, ao textures
    - Click Update in an Inspector tab called MicroSplatConfig5
    - I click on the Terrain in the Hierarchy - how to get back to the config to add textures?
    - At this point I believe is where the video picks up - ie - a scene with a MicroSplat terrain - my terrain is showing the microsplat script
    - Like the video, I add a sphere next to a mountain, add a stream emitter to the sphere and set it to lava
    - Like the video, I hit play expecting lava. But nothing happens. No errors in the console.
    - So then I try to use the painter by going to Window/MicroSplat/FX Painter
    - It asks to select a terrain to begin, I select the terrain from above that has been converted to MicroSplat
    - I get an error : "terrains are not set up for MicroSplat, please set the up" - but I have already done this
    - I see at 4:30 in the video there is another component on the terrain - Stream Manager.
    - I add the Stream Manager on to the terrain and get another error: Must have Dynamic Flows turn ON in your terrain material.
    - I looked and do not see this. I search Google for "unity materials dynamic flows" and there's nothing.

I've tried this on several project multiple times and am giving up. It looked easy in the video.
    Thanks

29. jbooth

jbooth

You need to turn on Lava or Streams in your material settings (at least that is not listed in your steps). Then the dynamic flows option will be available, and you'll also need to generate the terrain Data on the MicroSplatTerrain component as well. The included example file has this already setup, so you might want to compare with it.

30. SDPlissken

SDPlissken

Thanks for the quick reply. Sorry I am relatively new to Unity. In the documentation is says "Each of the four effects can be toggled on or off in the shader generation section of the material editor. " I'm not sure how to access this.

31. Rastapastor

Rastapastor

Terrain made with World Creator standalone and GAEA Pro. Textures are from Gametextures.

Attached Files:

• 1.png
      1.png
      File size:
      2.7 MB
      Views:
    • 2.png
      2.png
      File size:
      2.7 MB
      Views:
    • 3.png
      3.png
      File size:
      2.7 MB
      Views:
    camta005 and jbooth like this.
  32. jbooth

jbooth

Double click the material assigned to the template material property on the MicroSplatTerrain component. The shader generation section is the top most part of the UI, changing any option there will regenerate the shader code with the code for the features you want.

33. kypronite

kypronite

Is working now.
    thanks.
    I think there was confusion on my side
    as later on I need to disable procedural texture option off after baking to custom paint on terrain.

34. SDPlissken

SDPlissken

Thanks man, that was it. Looking good now.

35. protopop

protopop

C19F2DF9-8D74-4C74-871B-5EB946D98C88.png Does anyone know if we can get unity terrain per pixel normal mapping working with microsplat custom shader?

36. jbooth

jbooth

Yeah, turn on instancing and it is applied. If you are on a pre-instancing version of Unity then you can use my per-pixel normals to get the same effect.

protopop likes this.
  37. protopop

protopop

I turned on Per Pixel Normal in MS but it didnt have an effect - I don't know if its because im iOS, or if Im using fast packing low quality options. But turning on Terrain Instancing worked. Thank you for the tip.

38. jbooth

jbooth

You have to generate the per-pixel normal (on the terrain component). But if you have instancing on, Unity does that automatically.

39. protopop

protopop

I could only find a Per Pixel checkmark on the Microsplat Material component - I didn't see any on the default Terrain Script or the Microsplat Terrain script. But the Use Instanced checkmark on the Terrain script worked. BUT I was hoping that MS maybe used some kind of work around because when I use Terrain Instancing with Anisptropic Filters forced I get funny glitches - (not related to Microsplat)

IMB_oUdZer.GIF

40. WildRiverGames

WildRiverGames

Hello,
    we are planning to use MicroSplat for a Nintendo Switch project and have purchased the MicroSplat - LWRP/URP support for that.

For a first test i created an empty project, imported MicroSplat and MicroSplat - LWRP/URP.
    Then i created only a terrain with one layer (texture) and converted that to microsplat and switched the RenderLoop to Unity LD.

Now when i build for switch i get the following shader compile errors.

Shader error in 'Hidden/MicroSplat/Terrain_Base-2034372996': Fragment shader compilation failed.
    Shader info log:
    0(54) : error C7528: OpenGL reserves names containing '__'
    0(56) : error C7528: OpenGL reserves names containing '__'
    0(58) : error C7528: OpenGL reserves names containing '__'
    0(60) : error C7528: OpenGL reserves names containing '__'
    0(62) : error C7528: OpenGL reserves names containing '__'
    0(64) : error C7528: OpenGL reserves names containing '__'
    (on switch)

and

Shader error in 'MicroSplat/Terrain': Fragment shader compilation failed.
    Shader info log:
    0(54) : error C7528: OpenGL reserves names containing '__'
    0(56) : error C7528: OpenGL reserves names containing '__'
    0(58) : error C7528: OpenGL reserves names containing '__'
    0(60) : error C7528: OpenGL reserves names containing '__'
    0(62) : error C7528: OpenGL reserves names containing '__'
    0(64) : error C7528: OpenGL reserves names containing '__'
    (on switch)

I tested with Unity 2019.2.11 (LWRP 6.9.1, also tried 6.9.0 and 6.9.2) and also with Unity 2019.3.0f3 (Universal RP 7.1.5) to see if there is a difference, but the problem is the same (for the 2019.3 test I removed Microsplat and LWRP addon and downloaded it again from 2019.3).

Just for info: The warning

Duplicate basemap name: '_MainTex'. Ignoring.
    UnityEngine.Terrain:set_materialTemplate(Material)
    MicroSplatTerrain:Sync() (at Assets/MicroSplat/Core/Scripts/MicroSplatTerrain.cs:145)
    MicroSplatTerrain:Awake() (at Assets/MicroSplat/Core/Scripts/MicroSplatTerrain.cs:38)

is also shown when building for Nintendo Switch.

Do you maybe have an idea what is going wrong? Thanks in advance!

MarkusIAS likes this.
  41. jbooth

jbooth

So the _MainTex thing is a warning in new versions of Unity- I don't know why Unity throws it, as the shader doesn't even have a _MainTex defined in it. It doesn't seem to cause any issue though.

As for the main error, it's hard for me to know because I don't have access to switch development hardware. However, doing a search for that error shows that the switch apparently doesn't like variables in shaders named _Foo, which is odd because that is the standard Unity uses (ala _MainTex above). What you could try doing is search replacing all the variable names and see if it compiles on the platform. This isn't a long term solution, but at least it would tell us if that is actually it. (Some other stuff says the openGL3.3 spec disallows a double underscore, which I don't actually use, and searching through the shader code there are no double underscores)

42. WildRiverGames

WildRiverGames

Thanks for the help! Changing all variable names with underscore below

Constant Buffer "VGlobals"
    and
    Constant Buffer "UnityInstancing_Terrain"

indeed fixed the compilation problem on Switch. Now i could make a build on the switch, but unfortunately the
    terrain does not show.

The only warnings i can see in the switch logs are:

WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/Nature/Terrain/Utilities' - All passes removed
    WARNING: Shader Did you use #pragma only_renderers and omit this platform?
    ERROR: Shader Shader is not supported on this GPU (none of subshaders/fallbacks are suitable)WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/Nature/Terrain/Utilities' - Setting to default shader.
    WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/MicroSplat/Terrain_Base-2034372996' - Pass '' has no vertex shader
    WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'MicroSplat/Terrain' - Pass '' has no vertex shader

Just for info: When i use the normal unity terrain the warnings

WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/Nature/Terrain/Utilities' - All passes removed
    ERROR: Shader Shader is not supported on this GPU (none of subshaders/fallbacks are suitable)WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/Nature/Terrain/Utilities' - Setting to default shader.

are also shown but the terrain is displayed. But maybe the default terrain can work without this Utilities shader and your shader at least uses them explicitly via

UsePass "Hidden/Nature/Terrain/Utilities/PICKING"
    UsePass "Hidden/Nature/Terrain/Utilities/SELECTION"

i have to admit, I don't have much shader knowledge though.

I understand it is impossible for you to further check this without Nintendo Development Hardware, but if anybody else has used MicroSplat on Nintendo Switch with LWRP and got it running i'll be glad for help :)

43. jbooth

jbooth

Do you know if it works in the Standard pipeline, or is just LWRP specific?

44. WildRiverGames

WildRiverGames

I just tried in a new project (Unity 2019.2.11) without SRP and get neither shader compile errors
    nor Duplicate basemap name: '_MainTex'. warnings.

Also the terrain is displayed when deploying on switch so everything works fine :)

So it seems to be a LWRP problem only. Unfortunately LWRP makes a drastic performance
    difference on the Switch (without SRP even an empty planar terrain can only be rendered at 45 FPS)
    so we have to stick to LWRP.

Just for info: The warnings shown on the Nintendo Switch are:

Shader 'MicroSplat/Terrain': dependency 'BaseMapGenShader' shader '/Terrain_Base' not found

so it seems 'Hidden/Nature/Terrain/Utilities' is generally not supported on Switch regardless if you use a SRP or not.

Though there is the warning
    Shader 'MicroSplat/Terrain': dependency 'BaseMapGenShader' shader '/Terrain_Base' not found

the terrain is shown correctly.

45. jbooth

jbooth

Well, those utilities shaders are what Unity uses to draw various terrain features in editor, so it shouldn't cause any issue in build. I'm surprised their shaders don't throw the same warning, since they use them as well. The dependency not found is likely some kind of pathing issue, but that shader is basically a no-op shader to prevent unity spending any time trying to draw the basemap, since MicroSplat doesn't use it at all. If you make a dummy shader graph shader and put it on the terrain, does it have the same issue? Because the LWRP wrapper is essentially a modified version of a shader graph shader which calls into my code (with some macro foo to make it all work).

Also, if there are any docs in the NDK covering shaders you might want to check them. For instance, MicroSplat had an issue on the PS4 because it turned out that platform didn't support non-square matrices, so that was a pretty easy fix but until someone told me the restriction I couldn't fix it.

46. WildRiverGames

WildRiverGames

I created a simple Test shader with Shader graph (simply adding some noise to the texture) and that is working
    when i apply it to a new material and use that for the terrain on the Switch.

With enabled log for the shader compilation i get the following logs

Switch Log for Unity Terrain with custom Test Shader:

Compiled shader: Shader Graphs/MyTestShader, pass: ShadowCaster, stage: vertex, keywords <no keywords>
    Compiled shader: Shader Graphs/MyTestShader, pass: ShadowCaster, stage: vertex, keywords <no keywords>

Switch Log with shader compilation for Microsplat Terrain:

WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/MicroSplat/Terrain_Base-2034372996' - Pass '' has no vertex shader
    WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'MicroSplat/Terrain' - Pass '' has no vertex shader
    Compiled shader: MicroSplat/Terrain, pass: ShadowCaster, stage: vertex, keywords INSTANCING_ON
    Compiled shader: MicroSplat/Terrain, pass: ShadowCaster, stage: vertex, keywords INSTANCING_ON
    Compiled shader: MicroSplat/Terrain, pass: ShadowCaster, stage: vertex, keywords <no keywords>
    Compiled shader: MicroSplat/Terrain, pass: ShadowCaster, stage: vertex, keywords <no keywords>
    Compiled shader: Hidden/MicroSplat/Terrain_Base-2034372996, pass: ShadowCaster, stage: vertex, keywords <no keywords>
    Compiled shader: Hidden/MicroSplat/Terrain_Base-2034372996, pass: ShadowCaster, stage: vertex, keywords <no keywords>
    Compiled shader: Hidden/MicroSplat/Terrain_Base-2034372996, pass: ShadowCaster, stage: vertex, keywords INSTANCING_ON
    Compiled shader: Hidden/MicroSplat/Terrain_Base-2034372996, pass: ShadowCaster, stage: vertex, keywords INSTANCING_ON

I also searched through the Unity Nintendo Switch Development Manual but there is only stated that the Unity standard shader is supported.

I found no special limitations for Unity shaders, at least in these docs so far.

47. eaque

eaque

Hi,
    When i select alpha hole / splat index, the whole terrain gets pink? What am i missing?
    thx

48. jbooth

jbooth

sounds like a compile error- is there anything in the console?

49. jbooth

jbooth

Does it work with Draw Instanced turned off? You’ll want it on, but that’s the only variants being compiled in the logs.

50. WildRiverGames

WildRiverGames

ok, I tried with Draw Instanced turned off now as well, but the terrain is still not displayed
    and logs stay the same.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.