Search Unity

[FREE]MicroSplat, a modular terrain shading system for Unity Terrains

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by jbooth, Aug 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. punk

punk

@jbooth fixed here also thanks for the patch

2. wumn

wumn

• Where is the link to the patch

3. wumn

wumn

Maximum number (256) of shader keywords exceeded, keyword _AXF_BRDF_TYPE_BTF will be ignored.
    You will have to delete some shaders or make them use less keywords.
    upload_2018-12-24_17-11-8.png

upload_2018-12-24_18-3-34.png
    unity2018.3.0f2 HDRP Import error. And there is no way to work properly

4. jbooth

jbooth

Like 2 messages up

5. jbooth

jbooth

MicroSplat doesn’t support HDRP yet, as they are still changing things rapidly. You can read up on shader keyword limits in Unity’s manual.

6. Spiral-Organ

Spiral-Organ

I'm on version 2018.2.17, and I set the graphics settings to low, and the shadowmask feature doesn't seem to be working. It's just the normal Unity shadow drawing behavior as seen below. Is it suppose to render shadows in an infinite distance or does it follow unity's shadow distance?

upload_2018-12-24_11-52-57.png

7. jbooth

jbooth

It’s a surface shader, so Unity compiles all the lighting code; there’s not really lighting or shadowing code in MicroSplat.

8. wumn

wumn

Thank you for your reply. I use Chinese, so I can only communicate with you through Google translate. I hope you can answer another question
    我现在创建了一个6X6 总共36tile的地形,有没有能批量设置36 tile地形Tint Texture的办法?
    I have now created a 6X6 Texture of 36 tiles. Is there a way to bulk set the Tint Texture of 36 tiles?
    upload_2018-12-25_10-56-54.png

9. jbooth

jbooth

You can set it on the template material if you want them all to share it. The options on the terrain component are for when you want each tile to have a unique texture.

10. Harekelas

Harekelas

@jbooth Hi Jason, have you seen my last post about an issue?

11. jbooth

jbooth

Yes, I have not had a chance to look into it being Christmas and the 2018.3 release. Do you have a repro project you can send?

12. Harekelas

Harekelas

Ah, sorry I forgot its Christmas now, don't have it in my country.
    Unfortunately I can't provide a repo project, but I'll try to delete all microsplat components and all already made materials, shaders and reimport it again and remake my texture arrays and see if it can work.
    My project use .Net 4.x equivalent, don't know if it is relevant, though this caused a lot of other issues in my game.
    Merry Christmas! And I'll come back after the festival :)

13. jbooth

jbooth

Very unlikely any of it is Net 4.x related, it's all done in the shader.

14. wumn

wumn

Hello, I used unity2018.3.0f2, and I found that when I started Draw instanced, it did not work.In my screenshot.The white part is unity's terrain material, the brown part is MicroSplat's material, and the brown part obviously lacks a lot of details.
    Also, when I opened Draw instanced, the terrain became unselectable.What's the reason?
    upload_2018-12-26_16-22-53.png

15. jbooth

jbooth

You need to regenerate the shader after the upgrade.

16. jbooth

jbooth

Ok, for those on 2018.3, here is a version of the restore prototypes function that serializes the terrain layers to disk automatically, which should prevent the issue when reloading the scene of having to sync the terrain or regenerate the arrays.

Code (CSharp):
    1. void RestorePrototypes()
    2.    {
    3.       if (templateMaterial != null)
    4.       {
    5.          Texture2DArray diffuseArray = templateMaterial.GetTexture("_Diffuse") as Texture2DArray;
    6.          if (diffuseArray != null)
    7.          {
    8.             var cfg = JBooth.MicroSplat.TextureArrayConfig.FindConfig(diffuseArray);
    9.             if (cfg != null)
    10.             {
    11.                int count = cfg.sourceTextures.Count;
    12.                if (count > 32)
    13.                   count = 32;
    14. #if UNITY_2018_3_OR_NEWER
    15.                var protos = terrain.terrainData.terrainLayers;
    16.                bool needsRefresh = false;
    17.                if (protos.Length != count)
    18.                {
    19.                   needsRefresh = true;
    20.                }
    21.                if (!needsRefresh)
    22.                {
    23.                   for (int i = 0; i < protos.Length; ++i)
    24.                   {
    25.                      if (protos[i] == null)
    26.                      {
    27.                         needsRefresh = true;
    28.                      }
    29.                      if (protos[i] != null && cfg.sourceTextures[i] != null && protos[i].diffuseTexture != cfg.sourceTextures[i].diffuse)
    30.                      {
    31.                         needsRefresh = true;
    32.                      }
    33.                   }
    34.                }
    35.                if (needsRefresh)
    36.                {
    37.                   Vector4 v4 = templateMaterial.GetVector("_UVScale");
    39.                   Vector2 uvScales = new Vector2(v4.x, v4.y);
    40.                   uvScales = MicroSplatRuntimeUtil.UVScaleToUnityUVScale(uvScales, terrain);
    42.                   protos = new TerrainLayer[count];
    43.                   for (int i = 0; i < count; ++i)
    44.                   {
    45.                      TerrainLayer sp = new TerrainLayer();
    47.                      sp.diffuseTexture = cfg.sourceTextures[i].diffuse;
    48.                      sp.tileSize = uvScales;
    49.                      if (cfg.sourceTextures[i].normal != null)
    50.                      {
    51.                         sp.normalMapTexture = cfg.sourceTextures[i].normal;
    52.                      }
    54.                      protos[i] = sp;
    55.                      string path = UnityEditor.AssetDatabase.GetAssetPath(cfg);
    56.                      path = path.Replace("\\", "/");
    57.                      path = path.Substring(0, path.LastIndexOf("/"));
    58.                      path += "/microsplat_later_";
    59.                      if (sp.diffuseTexture != null)
    60.                      {
    61.                         path += sp.diffuseTexture.name;
    62.                      }
    63.                      path += "_" + i;
    64.                      path += ".terrainlayer";
    65.                      UnityEditor.AssetDatabase.CreateAsset(sp, path);
    66.                   }
    68.                   terrain.terrainData.terrainLayers = protos;
    69.                   UnityEditor.EditorUtility.SetDirty(terrain);
    70.                   UnityEditor.EditorUtility.SetDirty(terrain.terrainData);
    72.                }
    73. #else
    76.                var protos = terrain.terrainData.splatPrototypes;
    77.                bool needsRefresh = false;
    78.                if (protos.Length != count)
    79.                {
    80.                   needsRefresh = true;
    81.                }
    82.                if (!needsRefresh)
    83.                {
    84.                   for (int i = 0; i < protos.Length; ++i)
    85.                   {
    86.                      if (protos[i].texture != cfg.sourceTextures[i].diffuse)
    87.                      {
    88.                         needsRefresh = true;
    89.                      }
    90.                   }
    91.                }
    92.                if (needsRefresh)
    93.                {
    94.                   Vector4 v4 = templateMaterial.GetVector("_UVScale");
    96.                   Vector2 uvScales = new Vector2(v4.x, v4.y);
    97.                   uvScales = MicroSplatRuntimeUtil.UVScaleToUnityUVScale(uvScales, terrain);
    99.                   protos = new SplatPrototype[count];
    100.                   for (int i = 0; i < count; ++i)
    101.                   {
    102.                      SplatPrototype sp = new SplatPrototype();
    103.                      sp.texture = cfg.sourceTextures[i].diffuse;
    104.                      sp.tileSize = uvScales;
    105.                      if (cfg.sourceTextures[i].normal != null)
    106.                      {
    107.                         sp.normalMap = cfg.sourceTextures[i].normal;
    108.                      }
    109.                      protos[i] = sp;
    110.                   }
    112.                   terrain.terrainData.splatPrototypes = protos;
    113.                   UnityEditor.EditorUtility.SetDirty(terrain);
    114.                   UnityEditor.EditorUtility.SetDirty(terrain.terrainData);
    115.                }
    116. #endif
    118.             }
    119.          }
    121.       }
    122.    }
    123.    #endif

17. wumn

wumn

upload_2018-12-26_19-42-29.png
    As you said, I upgraded my shader, but I reported an error.

18. jbooth

jbooth

You might have to turn off tesselation w/ instancing until unity fixes this; they have some issue in the surface shader compiler w/ the new instancjng system, and since they broke everything through the whole beta cycle the release is their beta. Or conversely turn off instancing.

19. threeguysgamestudio

threeguysgamestudio

I'm working on figuring out what causes this error, it happens really consistently for me but at different times. Here's the thing: once the error happens, bits of the Unity core terrain system are broken. If I create a new Terrain, there are immediate errors without even touching MicroSplat - these errors show lost references to internal Unity variables (M_Targets) and base Unity materials.

If I restart Unity after this happens, it will let me know that there is a problem with some core assets and I need to rebuild the project.

The most recent encounter of the error was painting terrain on a MicroSplat terrain (21 total terrain textures, set to a 32 maximum) and using the "Undo" hotkey. Upon "Undoing", the error happened (It has happened at different times as well, though - selecting new Layers, painting Layers, etc...):

MissingReferenceException: The object of type 'TerrainLayer' has been destroyed but you are still trying to access it.
    Your script should either check if it is null or you should not destroy the object.
    UnityEngine.Object.get_name () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/UnityEngineObject.bindings.cs:198)
    UnityEditor.Experimental.TerrainAPI.PaintTextureTool.DrawFoldoutEditor (UnityEditor.Editor editor, Int32 controlId, System.Boolean& visible) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/TerrainEditor/PaintTools/PaintTextureTool.cs:71)
    UnityEditor.Experimental.TerrainAPI.PaintTextureTool.OnInspectorGUI (UnityEngine.Terrain terrain, IOnInspectorGUI editContext) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/TerrainEditor/PaintTools/PaintTextureTool.cs:147)
    UnityEditor.TerrainInspector.ShowPaint () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/TerrainEditor/TerrainInspector.cs:1549)
    UnityEditor.TerrainInspector.OnInspectorGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/TerrainEditor/TerrainInspector.cs:1950)
    UnityEditor.InspectorWindow.DoOnInspectorGUI (Boolean rebuildOptimizedGUIBlock, UnityEditor.Editor editor, Boolean wasVisible, UnityEngine.Rect& contentRect) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/InspectorWindow.cs:1625)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

Maybe it has something to do with the way you are serializing the TerrainLayers, it seems to conflict with the Painter in the Editor?

Now, after the error, when I create a new TERRAIN (*edit) from scratch in a new scene, upon creation I get the following error:

MissingReferenceException: The object of type 'Material' has been destroyed but you are still trying to access it.
    Your script should either check if it is null or you should not destroy the object.
    UnityEngine.Object.get_name () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/UnityEngineObject.bindings.cs:198)
    UnityEditor.Experimental.TerrainAPI.PaintTextureTool.DrawFoldoutEditor (UnityEditor.Editor editor, Int32 controlId, System.Boolean& visible) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/TerrainEditor/PaintTools/PaintTextureTool.cs:71)
    UnityEditor.Experimental.TerrainAPI.PaintTextureTool.OnInspectorGUI (UnityEngine.Terrain terrain, IOnInspectorGUI editContext) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/TerrainEditor/PaintTools/PaintTextureTool.cs:115)
    UnityEditor.TerrainInspector.ShowPaint () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/TerrainEditor/TerrainInspector.cs:1549)
    UnityEditor.TerrainInspector.OnInspectorGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/TerrainEditor/TerrainInspector.cs:1950)
    UnityEditor.InspectorWindow.DoOnInspectorGUI (Boolean rebuildOptimizedGUIBlock, UnityEditor.Editor editor, Boolean wasVisible, UnityEngine.Rect& contentRect) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/InspectorWindow.cs:1625)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
  20. threeguysgamestudio

threeguysgamestudio

This works to resolve the problems!

21. Ivoryjw

Ivoryjw

This solved my issue as well. Thanks Mr.Booth for providing this.

22. eaque

eaque

Hi Jason,

Can i use the terrain blending shader with vegetation studio pro?? Can i spawn a lot of rocks?
    thx

23. jbooth

jbooth

Not sure; it would require some setup on the VS side and I don’t know if Lenart has done that work.

eaque likes this.
  24. eaque

eaque

ok, thanks !
    I will check with him..

25. Ivoryjw

Ivoryjw

So I'm having a bit of a problem with streams. Every time I boot back into Unity, the streams disappear off the terrain. Tried repainting it and didn't work. Using unity 2018.3.

26. jbooth

jbooth

Press the save button on the painter.

27. Ivoryjw

Ivoryjw

Silly me. Thanks.

28. LukeDawn

LukeDawn

Hi Jason, I'm having a few issues with 2018.3.0f2. I find that changing the tiling settings doesn't seem to make a difference to the tiling of the textures, and I'm getting repeating errors as follows...

Code (csharp):
    2. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    3. JBooth.MicroSplat.FeatureDescriptor.DrawPerTexVector2Vector2 (System.Int32 curIdx, System.Int32 pixel, System.String keyword, UnityEngine.Material mat, MicroSplatPropData propData, UnityEngine.GUIContent label, UnityEngine.GUIContent label2) (at Assets/Packages/MicroSplat/Core/Scripts/Editor/FeatureDescriptor.cs:289)
    4. JBooth.MicroSplat.MicroSplatBaseFeatures.DrawPerTextureGUI (System.Int32 index, UnityEngine.Material mat, MicroSplatPropData propData) (at Assets/Packages/MicroSplat/Core/Scripts/Editor/MicroSplatBaseFeatures.cs:739)
    5. MicroSplatShaderGUI.OnGUI (UnityEditor.MaterialEditor materialEditor, UnityEditor.MaterialProperty[] props) (at Assets/Packages/MicroSplat/Core/Scripts/Editor/MicroSplatShaderGUI.cs:190)
    6. UnityEditor.MaterialEditor.PropertiesGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/MaterialEditor.cs:1606)
    7. UnityEditor.MaterialEditor.OnInspectorGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/MaterialEditor.cs:393)
    8. UnityEditor.Experimental.TerrainAPI.PaintTextureTool.DrawFoldoutEditor (UnityEditor.Editor editor, System.Int32 controlId, System.Boolean& visible) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/TerrainEditor/PaintTools/PaintTextureTool.cs:87)
    9. UnityEditor.Experimental.TerrainAPI.PaintTextureTool.OnInspectorGUI (UnityEngine.Terrain terrain, UnityEditor.Experimental.TerrainAPI.IOnInspectorGUI editContext) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/TerrainEditor/PaintTools/PaintTextureTool.cs:115)
    10. UnityEditor.TerrainInspector.ShowPaint () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/TerrainEditor/TerrainInspector.cs:1549)
    11. UnityEditor.TerrainInspector.OnInspectorGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/TerrainEditor/TerrainInspector.cs:1950)
    12. DecoratorEditor.OnInspectorGUI () (at Assets/Packages/AwesomeTechnologies/VegetationStudioPro/Editor/Common/Editor/Utils/DecoratorEditor.cs:144)
    13. ExtendedTerrainEditor.OnInspectorGUI () (at Assets/Packages/AwesomeTechnologies/VegetationStudioPro/Editor/Common/Editor/ExtendedTerrainEditor.cs:80)
    14. UnityEditor.InspectorWindow.DoOnInspectorGUI (System.Boolean rebuildOptimizedGUIBlock, UnityEditor.Editor editor, System.Boolean wasVisible, UnityEngine.Rect& contentRect) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/InspectorWindow.cs:1625)
    15. UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)
    and

Code (csharp):
    2. Unexpected top level layout group! Missing GUILayout.EndScrollView/EndVertical/EndHorizontal?
    3. UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

29. jbooth

jbooth

Looks like the propdata got unassigned somehow- open the debug panel and make sure it's set.

30. LukeDawn

LukeDawn

Image1.jpg

Looks to be set ok. Not sure about the other items.

31. jbooth

jbooth

And your getting this error when you enable per-texture UVs and adjust the slider?

32. gecko

gecko

I was having some problems with blendable objects since upgrading to 2018.3, so I got the latest Microsplat Core and Terrain Blending updates from the Asset Store, and now having new problems. Generating terrain data on one terrain takes over five minutes, as does regenerating the microsplat material does also. In the console (Mac), I can see that Unity is working on the terrainlayers during each process, generating miles and miles of log like pasted below. I wasn't seeing anything like that before updating the MS stuff.

And the original problem persists: The Blendable Object component says "Terrain shader is not setup for blending" (even though it is, and I've disabled and enabled Blending on the material to try to force it), and so the blendable objects are either black or pink. (Same problem I had a few months ago, but you managed to fix that....) (and FWIW, the blendable shader hasn't been regenerated in weeks at least.)

Any suggestions?

thx
    Dave

Preloading 1 native plugins for Editor in 1.50 ms.
    Updating Assets/09 Terrains/02 Amesthyst Terrain/Amethyst terrain TC2/MicroSplatData/microsplat_later_WQT SoilSand0113_1_seamless_5.terrainlayer - GUID: 322125f05e48d43d5a548fdf8162607a...
    ----- Compute hash for Assets/09 Terrains/02 Amesthyst Terrain/Amethyst terrain TC2/MicroSplatData/microsplat_later_WQT SoilSand0113_1_seamless_5.terrainlayer.
    done. [Time: 6.308871 ms]
    Script Compilation Pipeline Post Process Assets time: 0.000009s
    Assembly Updater Post Process Assets time: 0.000043s
    gstr.c:876: assertion 's2 != NULL' failed
    Refreshing native plugins compatible for Editor in 4.44 ms, found 3 plugins.
    Preloading 1 native plugins for Editor in 1.60 ms.
    Updating Assets/09 Terrains/02 Amesthyst Terrain/Amethyst terrain TC2/MicroSplatData/microsplat_later_GRS_sq_003_paler_6.terrainlayer - GUID: a2adfc1e8c40b4010938dac371958f5a...
    ----- Compute hash for Assets/09 Terrains/02 Amesthyst Terrain/Amethyst terrain TC2/MicroSplatData/microsplat_later_GRS_sq_003_paler_6.terrainlayer.
    done. [Time: 4.933424 ms]

etc.

33. jbooth

jbooth

I’ll see if I can repro it..

34. transat

transat

@jbooth I've had the same in my console.

35. jbooth

jbooth

Ok, played around with terrain blending in 2018.3 today and didn't run into any of these issues- can someone send me a repro case?

36. mukki014

mukki014

Is it compatible with open gl es 3.0 for mobile ? Android ? Thank you

37. jbooth

jbooth

Yes

mukki014 likes this.
  38. mukki014

mukki014

Thank you for a quick reply.

39. gecko

gecko

I have a repro for the blending issue, but not for the slow regeneration issue, just can't get that to happen in a simpler project yet. Will try some more. I'll send you link to blend repro via Discord after uploading.

jbooth likes this.
  40. jbooth

jbooth

The BlendMat has become unassigned in your terrain (under the debug section). Not sure why this is, but I noticed the entire MicroSplat folder structure has been re-arranged in the project for some reason. Anyway, assigning the blend mat again fixes your issue.

But this doesn't look like the issues others have reported about terrain blending not actually working correctly in 2018.3, which I have not been able to repro.

41. gecko

gecko

Ah, right. Thanks! Dunno how that went missing, but I've added it back, and that mostly fixes it. Some meshes still show the "no terrain below" error, can't figure out why, but I can duplicate one that works and replace those with it.

We've reorganized the folder structure in order to use Assembly Definition files.

42. iddqd

iddqd

Does anybody know if there's a way to use Map Magic to control more aspects of Microsplat, for example to define where the Terrain will be Wet/Lava.

I tried with the Custom Shader and had somewhat success, however I can not even control the 4 Textures, only 2. I'm guessing the Custom Shader Node won't work since it doesn't have the correct output format for Microsplat?

Thanks for any pointers.

upload_2019-1-8_17-58-59.png

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  43. Quast

Quast

I'm wondering. If I buy MicroSplat Terrain Blending. Will this work on Unity terrain also ?

44. jbooth

jbooth

MicroSplat works on Unity Terrains, but it's not for Unity's included terrain shader- you use the MicroSplat shader instead.

45. Quast

Quast

So, If my terrain doesn't have shader "Stander Terrain", will "MicroSplat Terrain Blending" will work on it and blend with other meshs " rocks" ?

46. jbooth

jbooth

The blending feature blends objects with the underlying Unity Terrain (using the MicroSplat shader), not with other meshes.

Quast likes this.
  47. Quast

Quast

Good. I understand you.
    Thank you.

48. gecko

gecko

I'm still having a weird problem with a couple meshes not working with mesh blending. Most of my meshes work great, but two just refuse -- the MS Blendable Object component says: "Terrain not detected below object, nothing to blend with."

So now I've tried it with some Unity cubes and spheres...and *those* give the same error! Even though right at the same location, one of my meshes blends beautifully.

And they throw this error. Any idea what could be the problem?

thanks!
    Dave

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    MicroSplatBlendableObjectEditor.OnInspectorGUI () (at Assets/MicroSplat/Editor/MicroSplatBlendableObjectEditor.cs:46)
    UnityEditor.InspectorWindow.DoOnInspectorGUI (System.Boolean rebuildOptimizedGUIBlock, UnityEditor.Editor editor, System.Boolean wasVisible, UnityEngine.Rect& contentRect) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/InspectorWindow.cs:1625)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

Screen Shot 2019-01-10 at 3.13.30 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-01-10 at 3.13.21 PM.png

49. jbooth

jbooth

Ah, so basically there needs to be another null check in there to prevent the null ref from throwing, but it's already failed at that point because it cannot find the terrain below it. If you raise the object up, does it start to work?

50. gecko

gecko

Nope, that doesn't help. I've moved the cube all around, above, below, interesting several terrains in the setup, no help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.