Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[FREE]MicroSplat, a modular terrain shading system for Unity Terrains

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by jbooth, Aug 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbooth

jbooth

Try deleting the LDRenderLoopAdapter script as it shouldn't be in there, unless you are using the LDRenderLoop module.

2018.1.2f1 isn't available to the public, only 2018.1f1, so no way I can test what your seeing.

2. Olander

Olander

Indeed. Exactly what I was thinking (saw that in your video as well). Wetness will be interesting but it appears I can get this done. I will play with the globals over the last of the week and post some screen pics of the results.
    Thank you for the tips.
    Cheers
    O

3. strongbox3d

strongbox3d

Hello Jason,

Thanks for the prompt response. You are really one of the best in the asset store. I removed the script and the errors disappeared. Also the terrain textures appeared back after. The only problem I have now is with the object blending with terrain module. I get this error and the blending appears in white when I use the module. I have some rocks that use this module and when I press play the rocks are white. This is the error:

tex2D: no matching 3 parameter intrinsic function; Possible intrinsic functions are: tex2D(sampler2D, float2|half2|min10float2|min16float2) tex2D(sampler2D, float2|half2|min10float2|min16float2) tex2D(sampler2D, float2|half2|min10float2|min16float2) d3d11 945

Any idea about this?

Regards,
    Carlos

4. jbooth

jbooth

[Edit] someone pointed out that they are now putting these versions on the download page instead of the patch page. Can you post a screenshot of your shader settings so I can try to reproduce (the top section)

Last edited: May 31, 2018
  5. IgorAherne

IgorAherne

@jbooth Jason, thanks for what you do
    I hope unity buys it for big bucks, because your contribution to the engine is invaluable

own a copy of Megasplat and downloaded Microsplat just today since need a closer workflow to unity terrain + mobile device performance. Really enjoying the workflow

Last edited: May 31, 2018
  6. IgorAherne

IgorAherne

Hey Jason, is there a terrain shader variant which doesn't use reflection probes?

I tried using the Simplified version from the material's gui, but such a shader doesn't work with soft particles.
    The Standard shader both has reflections and won't support soft particles

I need something lightweight for iOS iPhone - literally like
    • Albedo
    • softParticles
    • no reflections
    • splat blending via alpha chanel
    • Lightmapable
    Is there an extension I could buy, just for these specs?

I tried experimenting to remove reflections and add soft particles, by doing the following:

1) Went into SurfaceShaderRenderLoopAdapter.cs and changed "\Geometry+100" to "\Geometry-100", planning to allow the terrain to store itself into zbuffer if that was the issue. However it didn't cooperate, so my approach must be incorrect

2) Tried disabling reflection probes in the hierarchy - the reflective glare has disappeared from the terrain, but I now don't have reflections on my main character (the Knight).

Currently the only version that works with soft particles is Automatic, but it has reflections :(

To make it more evident I've placed a big usual unity terrain under my main terrain - the latter uses MicroSplat, have a look:
    reflect.JPG

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
  7. jbooth

jbooth

There's not an intrinsic to remove light probe support from a surface shader, at least as far as I'm aware, and can't find one in the shader docs. So the only way to do this would be to write your own render loop that rendered everything as a vertex/fragment shader and did all your own lighting. The other option is to use the layer based culling on the render probe to not have it affect anything on the terrain's layer.

Is the main thing your after speed, or trying to go for a specific look?

8. IgorAherne

IgorAherne

Yep, need for the look mostly, but also don't require normal maps - hopefully it would improve performance too.

Here are a few places I found in the past year about terrain:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/terrain-shader-with-multiple-splat-textures.476187/

in my first post, I paste the "Adjusted Shader" spoiler.
    I am a noob in unity shaders, but this one was a surface shader and had:
    - Supports soft particles
    - Doesn't have reflection probes, good

However I failed to make it work with 8 splats, couldn't figure out how to make them blendable (could only make 4 blendable), so abandoned it

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
  9. IgorAherne

IgorAherne

Please note, I am hoping to get rid of reflection probes, not light probes :)

10. jbooth

jbooth

Yes, this uses the Unity4 lighting model, which is a non-PBR based model (Lambert in this case). It wouldn't be that hard to modify MicroSplat to use this model; you'd basically need to change the #pragma's around in the base feature module, and remap the core functions to use SurfaceOutput instead of SurfaceOutputStandard.

Skipping normals maps won't save much vs. making your normal maps very small, but you could hack them out as well. Might help reduce register pressure a bit.

11. IgorAherne

IgorAherne

Could you make such a shader as an extension? I would buy it even if it costs 100 bucks + 5 stars from me on unity store

12. jbooth

jbooth

I'll see if it can be easily integrated using the lighting modes feature..

IgorAherne likes this.
  13. jbooth

jbooth

Ok, added.

So since the Unity4 Lambert model is not a PBR shading model, the data is remapped such that

Roughness is mapped to the gloss value
    Ambient Occlusion is mapped to the specular power

It'll be a bit before I can release this, as the next update will likely be version locked (though technically I don't need to version lock it until the new module I'm working on is ready, so maybe I'll release it sooner.)

IgorAherne likes this.
  14. IgorAherne

IgorAherne

Thank you!! :D

15. IgorAherne

IgorAherne

Will it allow to exclude normal maps to just have bare bones alpha-mixed albedo?

16. jbooth

jbooth

No, that would be a much bigger change, and I'm not sure if the savings would actually be worth the code complexity since using a very small texture would likely be very similar in speed.

IgorAherne likes this.
  17. IgorAherne

IgorAherne

Ok! Thanks man, you are awesome

18. Crzylegs1138

Crzylegs1138

Hi jbooth. I recently purchased the Lightweight render pipeline add-on for Microsplat. After loading your included demo scene, the terrain texture appears to be working fine. However, moving the camera causes the terrain to go all pink and throw the following error message:

Shader error in 'Hidden/MicroSplat/Terrain_Base-1893489554': undeclared identifier '_MainTex_ST' at /Users/mpier/AppData/Local/Unity/cache/packages/packages.unity.com/com.unity.render-pipelines.lightweight@1.1.4-preview/LWRP/ShaderLibrary/LightweightPassShadow.hlsl(53) (on d3d11)

Compiling Vertex program with UNITY_PASS_SHADOWCASTER
    Platform defines: UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_USE_DITHER_MASK_FOR_ALPHABLENDED_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF1 UNITY_SPECCUBE_BOX_PROJECTION UNITY_SPECCUBE_BLENDING UNITY_ENABLE_DETAIL_NORMALMAP SHADER_API_DESKTOP UNITY_LIGHT_PROBE_PROXY_VOLUME UNITY_LIGHTMAP_RGBM_ENCODING

I get this error for LightweightPassShadow.hlsl, LightweightPassDepthOnly.hsls, and LightweightPassShadow.hsls. Additionally I get 6 "macro redefinition" errors pointing towards "SAMPLE_DEPTH_TEXTURE" and "SAMPLE_DEPTH_TEXTURE_LOD".

Tested on both 2018.1.1f1 and 2018.1.2f1. Same issue.

Love your work and look forward to hearing from you soon.

19. jbooth

jbooth

Yes, the latest release of the LWRP has some bugs in it (You'll note, _MainTex_ST is not present anywhere in my code, and the errors are being thrown from the LWRP itself). This is exactly the kind of thing I feared would happen when they discontinued surface shaders, though to be fair LWRP is still technically in preview. Anyway, I'll be figuring out what to do about this this week when I hear back from Unity. I believe some of these are their bugs, and they've likely changed some other things which require changes on my end..

20. Rowlan

Rowlan

I bought all of the MicroSplat modules. Now I've seen there's a new one for the LWRP for which you have to pay. So am I correct that in order for the purchased modules to work with the LWRP I have to buy yet another module?

21. beatelove

beatelove

I had tha same issue.i purchased them upload_2018-6-4_16-7-26.png and imported all.what happened?

22. jbooth

jbooth

So, each SRP requires a pretty significant re-write of the internal shader code. Unity decided not to provide a common abstraction between SRP's and discontinue surface shaders, so for every SRP you have to write a ton of wrapper code. And if you read above, in Unity's first update since this module was released they changed a bunch of this code and broke my shaders, which is one of the main issues I have with them pushing SRP for indi developers- it's much more fragile than surface shaders were, so supporting each SRP is going to be a lot of support. So that's why I'm charging for it (but wait a week if you want LW support so I can patch it up when I figure out what they broke).

For some reason the asset store seems to get confused and install several megasplat/microsplat files over one another (IE: it thinks a class in MegaSplat is the one from MicroSplat and overwrites it instead of installing it in the proper place). I would suggest downloading MicroSplat into one project, and MegaSplat into the other, and then copying the files into the project if you want to use them together.

23. Rowlan

Rowlan

Ok, thanks for the clarification. I'll wait then.

24. Pascal-

Pascal-

Dear All,

I have an issue after painting the terrain. I got some lines artifacts.
    Do you know where it's from and how to get ride of them?

Thanks a lot in advance for your help!

Attached Files:

• line.jpg
      line.jpg
      File size:
      306.4 KB
      Views:
  25. beatelove

beatelove

thanks,i resolved it.by the way,i want to pait my terrain with megasplat and blending gameobject with TerrainBlending,but TerrainBlending needs MicroSplatTerrain,how do i do it?

26. jbooth

jbooth

Read in the documentation about Per-Texture UV scale.

MicroSplat modules work with MicroSplat, MegaSplat is a different product.

27. IgorAherne

IgorAherne

Jason, how to override the texture array's compression?
    I would like to go "ETC 8 bits" because it's more compact, not PVRTC. Is there a benefit for me to stay with PVRTC though? I am targeting iPhone 6 and above

Also, how to I remove these artifacts from my texture, - after changing size on TexureArrayConfig to 1024k they get smaller, but the size increases to several MB. Is there a way to get rid of them completely? It seems to be unrelated to bilinear/point filtering pixels.JPG

This is the normal texture I am using a flat blue 4x4 px texture

Edit: - actually, just changed format inside TextureArrayConfigEditor.GetTextureFormat(). The artifacts went away as well, so no further help is needed

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  28. IgorAherne

IgorAherne

I've just completed creating the hightmaps for my textures (storing in alpha channel as usual), but realized the blending doesn't seem to occurs via hightmap, but via the normal map?
    If I use "flat normal" texture, I get no blending between the textures

Is it possible to blend by the alpha channel? I can't use normals because of artistic look, but need blending

with no normals (flat 4x4px blue texture) - notice "Disable Highmap blending" is not ticked in material:
    with flat normals.JPG

with Microsplat's auto-generated normals I do get blending:
    with normals.JPG

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
  29. jbooth

jbooth

Normals have no effect on the blending, only the height map. Make sure you have the height maps source channel set correctly.

30. jbooth

jbooth

Note, you should probably use PBR mode. PBR mode is actually no different than basic mode, it generates all the missing textures either way, it’s just there to be a more familiar interface for people not used to PBR. In VBR mode, you will get a heat map slot, which you can put your texts are in and set the channel to Alpha. The packer generates any missing textures, and packs them into a special format, so it doesn’t really care which channel is your source textures came from.

IgorAherne likes this.
  31. jbooth

jbooth

I’m using voice dictation on my phone, so sorry for the typos.

IgorAherne likes this.
  32. IgorAherne

IgorAherne

Thanks man!
    Does smoothness + AO take performance hit on mobile devices? You mentioned there is no way to prevent normal map from being used, but what about Smooth + AO? Will it be always used for mobile phones regarless?

With the lambert model (you said will be added in next update) you mentioned smooth + AO is still included, if I understood correctly

33. jbooth

jbooth

Smoothness and AO are packed in with the normal, and always computed in a PBR lighting model, so there's no real cost there. (The texture packer always generates this data).

With lambert, smoothness and AO are replaced by specularity and spec power (gloss) respectively, because that is a non-PBR lighting model.

IgorAherne likes this.
  34. trilobyteme

trilobyteme

It's worth noting that I recently switched to using the new App Store beta within Unity and decided to bite the bullet (I find the layout of the my download pages to be more awkward and clunky than the previous version)... it may be awkward, but it sure seems to work. Each asset updated to today's release with no troubles... that is, as long as I don't install the streams module (if I do that, it immediately throws hard stop errors against megasplat).

35. magique

magique

@jbooth I upgrade Microsplat today and the terrain blending module is causing a compiler error:

Assets/MicroSplat/TerrainBlending/MicroSplatBlendableObject.cs(109,45): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `MicroSplatMesh' could not be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?

Is there a fix for this?

36. jbooth

jbooth

Awe crap, forgot to #ifdef around that..

You can delete the block of code there for now - I'm submitting a patch right now..

37. magique

magique

Thanks

38. mmaclaurin

mmaclaurin

Hello; I had a broken build because of a version mismatch. Wasn't working so I decided to remove the Microsplat directory and get a clean install. Installed Microsplat and got an error about "can't find data xx" - the error hasn't repeated but now my terrains all render in cloudy white. My MicroSplatData directory is still there, so not sure what it is that can't be found or what module is looking for it.

Any suggestions for what to check? I'm still on the last 2017 build. Not getting any error messages now, just white terrain.

- M

39. kepesh

kepesh

Hi,

Is it possible to make the microsplat shader to work with the postprocessing stack screen space reflection effect?

40. jbooth

jbooth

Should just work- SSR happens after the scene is drawn, so what shader you use should have no effect..

41. kepesh

kepesh

It doesn't work though. I use the standard shader model in microsplat. It works on other meshes in the scene but not the terrain which uses microsplat.

42. jbooth

jbooth

Look in the frame debugger and make sure the terrain is rendering before the SSR happens.

43. NinjaMonkeyTom

NinjaMonkeyTom

Hi I hope this issue hasn't been brought up before but I couldn't find an answer. I'm an artist using the triplanar module for microsplat and it all works really well except I've noticed some problems with normal map lighting directions.

Basically the Y or G channel appears to be flipped on half the terrain. I've come across this issue using different triplanar terrain shaders in the past and as far as I know its a very complex problem. Its hard to notice with a lot of organic textures and materials but I have some cliff surfaces where it is quite an obvious problem. Hopefully the screenshot below will help illustrate the problem. There is no ambient lighting and only a single directional light pointing straight down.

Is there something I need to do with the terrain's setup or is this a bug?

Thanks for your time.

normal map bumps.JPG normal map bumps 2.JPG

44. jbooth

jbooth

Likely a bug, mind sending me that test scene?

45. jbooth

jbooth

In the future, send this kind of stuff in private- you've just effective allowed anyone to pirate these modules. @hippocoder can you remove this post?

hippocoder likes this.
  46. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Please don't post stuff that contains paid copyright assets, everyone :)

47. NinjaMonkeyTom

NinjaMonkeyTom

aghhh I'm so sorry! That was really stupid of me. I completely forgot what I was doing and how assets worked. Thanks for clearing that up.

jbooth and hippocoder like this.
  48. franky_li

franky_li

Hi,
    The latest update of the blend module is missing a curly brace at the end of the file.

49. jbooth

jbooth

Really? Which file? I'm not getting a compile error..

50. jmpedros

jmpedros

Hi!
    I'm using microsplat on my terrain and when I blend my textures using height maps appears some kind of seam around the limits. Any idea of what it is?
    Thanks in advance!

upload_2018-6-12_17-5-41.png

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.