Search Unity

1. We would like to hear your feedback about Unity and our products. Click here for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

[FREE]MicroSplat, a modular terrain shading system for Unity Terrains

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by jbooth, Aug 9, 2017.

1. jbooth

jbooth

Still waiting on approval, but in the meantime, a module announcement:

2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

That does look rather fun indeed.

3. Veteran66

Veteran66

Hi Jason

can you make a video from the Global Texturing :)

near and far effect

4. jbooth

jbooth

Near/far is already covered in the anti-tiling video. Haven't done one on global texturing yet though.

SkygodGames likes this.
  5. SkygodGames

SkygodGames

When will this be available? Im looking to make asteroid surfaces and a moon base. =)

6. jbooth

jbooth

All the modules listed above have been submitted for over a week except the puddles/streams/lava/wetness one. I have a few more things to add and a bit more testing before that one is ready, and I have two other (smaller) modules I just haven't put the marketing materials together for yet.

7. vincewins

vincewins

Just yesterday I was looking around for Terrain-Generators/-Texturizers and heard about this tool on GameDevLeague-Discord. Seems I was in luck :) Now it just means waiting for approval...

8. Kats4

Kats4

@jbooth The MicroSplat snow module will be easy to integrate with for example: Enviro?

antoripa likes this.
  9. jbooth

jbooth

I haven't done an integration with Enviro yet (though the author did one for MegaSplat, I believe), but it should be really straight forward to do. I actually have an integration with the WorldAPI ready, but I'm not sure what the status of that project is so I pulled it before release (the basic idea being that environment systems stop writing custom integrations to every asset, and all assets work through a common API instead).

evilangel89, antoripa and Kats4 like this.
  10. Kats4

Kats4

Thanks for the answer!

Is it some new asset? Is there any forum to follow? :)

11. gremberman

gremberman

Is there a real-time terrain deformation module by vehicles or explosions planed? :)
    Limit of 16 textures is here forever or one day it can be 32 textures?
    Thanks for your work and keep going!

12. jbooth

jbooth

Limit of 16 textures is imposed by Unity's tooling, as well as reasonable limits of the standard splat map technique (one control texture is required for every 4 textures to store the weights). If you want to go beyond that, you basically need to rewrite the entire toolchain and use a different technique, which is what I did with MegaSplat.

Future modules will be announced when they are nearing completion.

13. gremberman

gremberman

Just can't wait to test new terrain stuff :)
    This year is a real break through in Unity terrain technologies, great job!

Kats4 likes this.
  14. olavrv

olavrv

It should be then norm, but from my experience with assets on the asset store - I really appriciate it when it is done right. It is so scary to build your project with 3rd party resources, and the developers turn out to not care about the consequences for their customers.

Again; Great work Jason - keep up the good work!

15. Kats4

Kats4

@jbooth Will you integrate with Amplify Shader Editor just like you did for MegaSlpat? This would be fantastic, since many people use Amplify Shader Editor :D

16. jbooth

jbooth

Well, looks like Unity finally approved the core MicroSplat module, but has not approved any of the addon's yet. I included the documentation for all modules in the main module, but they want it in each add on as well..

evilangel89, Kats4, docsavage and 2 others like this.
  17. sylon

sylon

Amazing. They took their sweet time.
    Congrats.

18. jbooth

jbooth

Hopefully my resubmit of the modules will go quicker.

19. maxaud

maxaud

Real like the ease of use. Hoping some of that ease may transfer in to MegaSplat in the future.

20. evilangel89

evilangel89

The intention is to not bash on you at all so don't take it the wrong way. Just really curious to see you on this thread and would like to know what changed your mind as you've given microsplat a 1 star and basically said that @jbooth is trying to resell megasplat with 16 textures while calling it a great job over here xD lol

As a user of megasplat (perhaps like yourself) I downloaded this tool today and took a look at the entire source code as well. While I am not a shader guru, looks like the 16 texture limit is something imposed by Unity and not shader authors. Plus you can use megasplat for a stronger mesh based workflow while you cannot use microsplat for that.

This is basically a very limited subset of some of the functionalities in megasplat, brought into Unity Terrains. You don't have to buy the addons or microsplat if you can do away with megasplat, so not sure where the "trying to resell megasplat as microsplat" part comes from :)

Megasplat is a bit too cluttered with features for me, so I am planning to go with a combination of both for my work. I design overhangs and such as meshes and texture them with megasplat, use it on the microsplat terrain now. Looks like a decent workflow to me. Perhaps the blending module would help me get a better blend between the meshes and the terrain.

Seneral likes this.
  21. gremberman

gremberman

- The demo scene has camera inside the mountain, really nice!
    - The demo scene gives some errors about splat data is missing.
    - I see the same old MegaSplat with minimal optimisations.
    - It seems like author just tired to refactor MegaSplat and to make it awesome, and just tries to resell it once again.
    - Hurry-hurry to sell until CTS has some performance issues.
    - If you chase two rabbits you will lose them both.

These are my first impressions about MicroSplat. I may change my review when I try additional modules, so far nothing special: +/- 10 FPS is not the thing that makes games awesome.

22. jbooth

jbooth

Actually, almost all of the internal shader code was rewritten between the two products, because the core technique used is totally different. The workflow is also totally different between the two products, as it automatically packs textures, generates any missing PBR maps, etc. MicroSplat is also quite a bit faster than MegaSplat is, which is quite difficult to achieve since MegaSplat is already faster than other systems out there.

I also give away the product you are reviewing for FREE - what are you giving to the community? Where is your GitHub with countless tools you spent hundreds of hours developing and gave away for free, like my vertex painter, off screen particle system, etc?

No, you post flippant comments and have given nothing back except negativity because you think the world owes you something..

23. magique

magique

It's free and totally blows away CTS. Nuff said.

24. jbooth

jbooth

I think a more fair comparison is to compare the free version with the Unity terrain shader. To make a fair comparison with CTS/RTP/etc, you would need some modules installed to add both the features that make a terrain shader look amazing and add the performance cost of those features.

coverpage likes this.
  25. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

Well I totally failed to be able to use all competing terrain shaders, etc because they're just all doing far too much and were too slow, so I spend more time turning nonsense off that was added because some randoms asked for it and ended up a) not knowing what they were asking for really and b) never actually needing it and c) never actually using it after all.

That results in these monolithic terrain shaders that are slow and hard to use and don't benefit me. Thankfully, microsplat suffers from none of these issues. I'd like a meshsplat version to I can have awesome level texturing as a different product or something though, perhaps inspired by Uncharted 4's uber shader, and some of the things Ready at Dawn did. These were sensible vertex splat based approaches with a sensible amount of features but I suspect far lighter and faster than the usual mess I seem to encounter on these forums, perhaps an idea for a future product.

26. evilangel89

evilangel89

@jbooth If you're interested I've seen some uas developers put up their assets on the following website. The charges seem very reasonable compared to asset store but probably exposure isn't that great. But the payout is instant and you don't have to hang around for ages to upload until asset store is ready with the reviews. I've had some addons for a controller downloaded here two weeks earlier than it took the asset store to review and release them.

https://sellfy.com/

27. jbooth

jbooth

Yeah, the delays can be problematic for MicroSplat. If I do an update, I kind of want them all published at once, but don't really have a good way to do that through the UAS. But UAS does handle upgrading, notifying users of upgrades, etc, which is pretty nice.

evilangel89 and coverpage like this.
  28. coverpage

coverpage

Your shader, in terms of workflow, is so simple and fast. And 16 layers. Can't wait for the modules to appear and properly review it. I think it's working fine with Terrain Composer 2 thus far.

I think everyone would need anti-tiling detail mapping, global texturing, terrain blending and parallax tessellation just to get RTP features. So perhaps you can charge at a more reasonable price for those so that we can purchase the rest of your module in a more liberal manner. And the lava flow is phenomenal. Congratulations.

29. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

Yeah although you have to work out that the base package is free, so a liberal pricing would make more sense if the base package was not free. It is strange though. I doubt anyone ever needs really more than 8 let alone 16 and certainly never 256 :/

coverpage likes this.
  30. coverpage

coverpage

Yup, just a request, as I see myself aspiring for all modules.

31. coverpage

coverpage

16 is possible if you use scanned textures. They are variation of the similar stones in the same area.

Kats4 likes this.
  32. jbooth

jbooth

I think 16 "surfaces" is a reasonable count to work with, but when you compose those surfaces with multiple textures you can get some incredible results. That's basically what MegaSplat was all about.

I think many people won't need global texturing or tessellation, for instance. I think many people should get anti-tiling, but won't necessarily understand the benefits. I might be completely wrong, but because it's all separate modules, I'll find out, and people can only pay for what they think they need. I see that as a win/win. The pricing of modules is, in my opinion, extremely cheap for what you are getting, unless you value your time at say a penny an hour and have already learned the required skills to do the work.

33. magique

magique

As cool as I think MegaSplat is, I'm actually liking the idea of MicroSplat much more. The ease of use and modularity are huge selling points. Once Wii U has 5.6 version available I'll be switching to MicroSplat since I already know it works on Wii U.

Alverik and evilangel89 like this.
  34. evilangel89

evilangel89

I honestly feel that the pricing is liberal really given that the base package is free. May be @jbooth could offer a bundle with all modules thrown in for a small discount if you're going to purchase all of them at once. Something that procore does with their probuilder tool and the rest.

Kats4, coverpage and magique like this.
  35. jbooth

jbooth

It's a possibility; but right now I'm still waiting for them to release the current modules, have several more modules which are finished but need marketing, and have a bunch of MegaSplat work piling up that I need to address.

36. coverpage

coverpage

I agree a bundle will be nice. But in any case I'm not trying to bargain with the author. It's just a request as I'm quite excited by the prospect of using this very straight forward shader with 16 layers and fast performance.

Yes I agree, 16 is plenty. I'm not sure about those modules but I can see many who wouldn't need the fluid flow modules and other effects modules. In any case, this is shaping out to be a winner. I'm not sure how it can be 4 star now, it's ridiculous.
    Keep up the great work @jbooth .

37. jbooth

jbooth

Oh, that's CTS people like Abrasive review bombing it since it's free and it doesn't cost them anything to download it. Apparently it's my fault that CTS is slow, and I'm not allowed to release another terrain shader that competes with it.

38. magique

magique

Haters from CTS most likely as the one 1 star review demonstrates.

39. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

Don't worry I'll be sorting that out I think.

Teila, antoripa, nxrighthere and 5 others like this.
  40. jbooth

jbooth

Just got the email that ALL of the modules I've submitted so far have been approved! (Along with the appropriate patch of the core module).

Nateply, evilangel89 and magique like this.
  41. magique

magique

Fantastic!

42. coverpage

coverpage

Purchased tessellation and anti-tile first.

nxrighthere and jbooth like this.
  43. magique

magique

Oooh, I love the way blending works. I watched the video and I thought you were going to have to use painting tools or something, but it's just a script with some parameters. That's way better. Definitely going to get that one.

jbooth likes this.
  44. coverpage

coverpage

How do you achieve layer blending? The edge between textures are hard for me now.

45. jbooth

jbooth

There's an interpolation contrast setting you can adjust. It goes from Linear (Unity Terrain side) to a sharp height based blend.

46. neoshaman

neoshaman

We also only need 640kb of memory :p

To be frank if there is a possibility, people will find ingenious way to do something with it we can't even grasp now, Maybe there is use case we just haven't thought about yet.

47. Nyuchen

Nyuchen

With the Core Asset i got a problem all the time by starting up the scene,going to playmode and painting textures on the terrain surface.

Any tip? :3

48. jbooth

jbooth

One such use case is texture clustering..

I must have cleared out a texture on the demo scene causing this- shouldn't cause any issues though, and shouldn't happen when you setup your own terrain. I'll make sure it's fixed in the next update though..

neoshaman likes this.
  49. jbooth

jbooth

Are running 0.9 (yesterday) or 1.0 (today)? I couldn't repro this case locally anymore. I'll download MicroSplat from the asset store on a fresh machine and see if I can repro it there..

50. Nyuchen

Nyuchen

i had this the last hour and as it came out directly. its not a problem if you said its just a small error without an effect.
    the feature scrolling list has a bug too, by moving the slider it feels like a reload of 10 times per second. some small things what i found out by testing. nothing what is bad, just trying to help you if its a versioning problem. :3

have both on a fresh created project with the version 2017.1