Search Unity

Free look - Reset pos behind player with simple world up

Discussion in 'Cinemachine' started by mrCharli3, Dec 30, 2018.

1. mrCharli3

mrCharli3

Is there any way to set the camera position behind the player via script? i.e reset it. Currently when my player respawns it's a bit annoying to rotate the camera every time.
    It has to be "Simple world up"

Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
  2. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

Deactivate the vcam game object, place it where you want it, then reactivate it.

3. mrCharli3

mrCharli3

Okay. The thing is I'm not sure which values to modify.
    I would assume its the X axis value, but that one always stays at 0 even when Im moving the camera. Only the Y axis value changes.
    And I can't set it using transform (world) position because that changes all the time.

I should add that the camera both follows and looks at the player at all times.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
  4. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

I thought that you want to position it when the player respawns. Is that true?
    In SimpleFollow, the X axis stays at 0. Put the Y axis at 0.5 to place it on the middle orbit.
    Position the vcam's transform to be on the middle orbit, behind the player, i.e. playerPos - (player.forward * orbitRadius) + (orbitHeight * Vector3.up)

5. mrCharli3

mrCharli3

Thanks man,

I did my best to translate that into code, and setting the Yaxis value works fine, but cannot seem to effect the actual transform:

Code (CSharp):
    2.             public CinemachineFreeLook vcam;
    3.             vcam.m_YAxis.Value = 0.5f;
    5.             Vector3 playerPos = ActivePlayer.gameObject.transform.position;
    6.             Vector3 playerForward = ActivePlayer.gameObject.transform.forward;
    7.             vcam.VirtualCameraGameObject.transform.position = playerPos - (playerForward * vcam.m_Orbits[1].m_Radius) + (vcam.m_Orbits[1].m_Height * Vector3.up);
    Tried a few different ways but can't seem to effect the vCams transform at all.
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding you because I can't move the transform of the camera through the editor either.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
  6. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

You can only alter the vcam's transform while the vcam is disabled, otherwise it will overwrite whatever you do. Disable it, set its transform, then re-enable it.

hushuyan002682 and mrCharli3 like this.