Search Unity

Free look camera top rig issue with screen X setting.

Discussion in 'Cinemachine' started by Redux, Dec 5, 2019.

1. Redux

Redux

The free look camera seems to not maintain the aim screen X value for where the aim target is supposed to be within the screen. It seems to drift closer to the center of the screen. If I try with a middle rig Screen X of .4 and a top rig Screen X of .3 then as it transitions from mid to top it wobbles a bit uncomfortably. It's smoothest with Screen X set to the same value on all rigs. .3 is too far over to the left for most purposes I have in mind, if I set all rigs screen X to .3 it's too aggressive.

Tl;Dr; The aim target doesn't get consistently positioned relative to screen X in all 3 rig positions.

Any ideas?

2. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

This might be because the top and bottom rigs are looking too steeply vertically. CM composers have a little trouble in those extreme cases to keep the exact specifications.

An alternative setup that some people have had success with is to replace the FreeLook with a simple vcam that has a Framing Transposer in the Body, and a POV in the Aim. This setup can maintain composition more robustly, even at steep angles.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
  3. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

Please note that in order to use POV with Framing Transposer, you need to upgrade CM to at least version 2.4.0, and enable this new option in POV:

upload_2019-12-16_10-52-44.png

4. Redux

Redux

@Gregoryl Sorry it took so long to come back to this. That solution works well it looks like. The problem I am now seeing, however, is that the rotation speed seems to be insane regardless of what value I set the max speed of the POV to. Also, I'm seeing perlin noise appear to accelerate over time. This didn't happen in our previous version.

Any ideas?

5. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

What version of CM are you using? Can you show me the vcam inspector?

6. Redux

Redux

No problem. CM version 2.5.0.

7. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

Those settings look good. Maybe your Mouse X axis in the input manager has a multiplier?
    If you start a new project and open the CM sample scene and try this, is the rotation reasonable?

You might also want to try the alternative axis setting mode, which interprests the Speed value as a simple multiplier, instead of as a max speed. Many people prefer this behaviour.

upload_2020-5-27_10-23-0.png