Search Unity

Free Live Online Training from Unity Technologies

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by Adam-Buckner, Oct 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Good_Venson

Good_Venson

Hey, thanks for all the great information and teaching! I have watched all the video content on the Learn site I think, and the amount of knowledge that I have gained is pretty awesome.

I was wondering what the future looks like for Unity's Live Training. It seems to have slowed down a bit recently, and as of now, there are no scheduled sessions shown.

Of course, I'd be fine if Unity decides to use their resources in a different manner, the way they have given so much away for free is really awesome, and I'd buy Unity Pro right now if I had any money just to support Unity Technologies, although what they have in the free version is more than enough for my needs as they stand.

Thanks again for your time,
    -Good.Enough Venson, Nexus Force member and Unity3D fanatic =P

Last edited: May 4, 2015
  2. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

This is possible, yes. There may be other things of higher priority, but I will add it to our list of subjects!

idurvesh and shuao23 like this.
  3. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

We were just going through a period of difficult scheduling. We will always try to do at least one session a week, if not more. The only major exceptions are going to be leading into a major presentations (GDC, Unite) or release (v5.0, etc). There should be new sessions up now.

4. Good_Venson

Good_Venson

Great! I am glad that I spoke too soon. Well, glad that it was too soon, not that I spoke. =P

I am definitely looking forward to the next session. I am using the modal window in my current project, and am excited to learn more about how to use it. My internet is too slow for twitch however, so I will have to wait until you upload it to the Learn site.

*edit: Lol, I was just looking at the timestamp on your reply, and it says one o'clock, which is like four or five hours in the future. =O -_-
    I guess that the time isn't shown relative to my time zone, but it still made me glance at my watch in panic. =P

Last edited: May 5, 2015
  5. srmols

srmols

I've just finished the great multiplayer tutorial Merry Fragmas from Mike. I did it with Unity 5 and the last First Person Character Controller and some little things needed a quick fix. I thought maybe some beginners like me could benefit from sharing them.

Part 1.
    If your Aim and Sprint animations keep looping even when you have switched off the Loop option, maybe is because they keep going from AnyState to each animation, even during that animation. There is an option that you can uncheck to prevent this, probably that was included in Unity 5.

Part 2.
    The new FPSController is different to the one that Mike uses in the video. It's almost the same, but it has some differences. It's easy to see what corresponds to what, but in the part where you have to disable some components to avoid conflicts between you and other players, it gets a bit tricky.

To fix it, first you have to use the namespace of the character controller and add it to PlayerNetworkMover.cs. So, at the beginning of the file, add the third line:

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using System.Collections;
    3. using UnityStandardAssets.Characters.FirstPerson;
    Then you have to change the code to enable only the scripts that are in the new FPSController. Instead of this:

Code (CSharp):
    1.     void Start () {
    3.         if(photonView.isMine)
    4.         {
    5.             rigidbody.useGravity = true;
    6.             GetComponent<FirstPersonCharacter>().enabled = true;
    7.             GetComponent<FirstPersonHeadBob>().enabled = true;
    8.             GetComponent<SimpleMouseRotator>().enabled = true;
    9.             GetComponentInChildren<PlayerShooting>().enabled = true;
    10.             foreach(SimpleMouseRotator rot in GetComponentsInChildren<SimpleMouseRotator>())
    11.                 rot.enabled = true;
    12.             foreach(Camera cam in GetComponentsInChildren<Camera>())
    13.                 cam.enabled = true;
    15.             transform.Find("Head Joint/First Person Camera/GunCamera/Candy-Cane").gameObject.layer = 11;
    16.             transform.Find("FirstPersonCharacter/GunCamera/Candy-Cane/Sights").gameObject.layer = 11;
    17.         }
    18.         else{
    19.             StartCoroutine("UpdateData");
    20.         }
    21.     }
    You should have this:

Code (CSharp):
    1.     void Start ()
    2.     {
    4.         if (photonView.isMine)
    5.         {
    6.             GetComponent<Rigidbody>().useGravity = true;
    7.             GetComponent<FirstPersonController>().enabled = true;
    8.             GetComponentInChildren<PlayerShooting>().enabled = true;
    9.             foreach (Camera cam in GetComponentsInChildren<Camera>())
    10.                 cam.enabled = true;
    12. // Note: change the number to your layer. Maybe it's 11, but 10 worked for me.
    13.             transform.Find("FirstPersonCharacter/GunCamera/Candy-Cane").gameObject.layer = 10;
    14.             transform.Find("FirstPersonCharacter/GunCamera/Candy-Cane/Sights").gameObject.layer = 10;
    15.         }
    16.         else{
    17.             StartCoroutine("UpdateData");
    18.         }
    19.     }
    And I think that's all. :D

Last edited: May 6, 2015
  6. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Thanks very much for the info and update!

7. Aberdyne

Aberdyne

Hello all, I just watched the video about using the new asset bundle workflow and, according to Mike, there seems to be a limitation on mobile that would prevent us loading/unloading/reloading bundles without (re)loading a scene in between. Someone has posted a question on Answers about that... I just commented that and I would be glad if that limitation could be clarified. Thank you!

8. Mike-Geig

Mike-Geig

Unity Technologies

I have responded. Thanks for bringing this to our attention!

9. hangemhigh

hangemhigh

Can you do live tutorial about the new awesome Unity Network System called UNET?

10. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

We will definitely go a session on Unet, but not until it's in release. Currently, it's in beta.

11. hangemhigh

hangemhigh

I know it is not released yet to the public but I just said this to make sure its on the list of the future live tutorials so that we can learn how to use it immediately it is released.
    How about Unity 5 material tutorial? For example using skyboxes, lightmaps, reflections and baking GI for mobile platform..... Not much tutorial out there for Uinty 5.
    Thank you for your other tutorials. Your videos are very helpful.

12. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

I hope it's good to know that all of these are on our list, as either live sessions, persistent materials, or both. The main issue we have is time - or lack there of - so they will be arriving as and when possible.

UNet specifically will probably have a combination of persistent lessons and accompanying live training sessions.

13. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

14. reinfeldx

reinfeldx

15. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Hmmm... Here is is:
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/13866

This is easy to find when you go to "Unity Essentials".

I'll add a link to the lesson page as soon as I can.

16. reinfeldx

reinfeldx

Oh I've seen that already. I'm asking about the Mobile Art folder that contains the icons and splash screen for an iOS build. Unless I'm overlooking something obvious, it doesn't seem to be included in that bundle you linked.

17. hangemhigh

hangemhigh

Ok. Thanks again for those tutorials. I can't wait for the profiler one.

18. srmols

srmols

19. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Yes, as @srmols has pointed out, you should be able to find those on the CMS page.

20. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Yes. So much stuff to cover!

21. reinfeldx

reinfeldx

Of course it's right in front of me! Thanks, guys.

22. Stranger-Games

Stranger-Games

Is there a sample unity project for 'Making a generic modal window' tutorial?
    I watched some of it and it's great I really like it. If there is a sample project it will help a lot.

23. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

24. Stranger-Games

Stranger-Games

Thank you very much Adam Buckner for your reply and your great tutorial!

25. idurvesh

idurvesh

@Adam Buckner Thanks once again for great tutorials, really nice community.:)

I would like to suggest advance scripting tutorial for implementing design patterns in Unity with C#

26. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

This is, to some degree, on our list. Design patterns are an advanced topic. Design patterns are independent of Unity, and part of programming in general… That being said, we are perfectly happy to teach more advanced topics. The only caveat I have right now I s that we don't have any of these is currently scheduled, and we have no concrete plans yet as to when we would...

idurvesh likes this.
  27. idurvesh

idurvesh

thanks much for clear rpl.Looking foreword to upcoming sessions.

28. rameshkumar

rameshkumar

@gamezuv I have made texture asset bundles but its not working and how to load multiple asset bundles at the same time in a same path..

public class SimplePrefabLoader : MonoBehaviour
    {
    [SerializeField] GameObject _wall;
    Texture _t1;
    [SerializeField] string path1;

IEnumerator Start()
    {

using(WWW www = WWW.LoadFromCacheOrDownload(path1, 0))
    {
    yield return www;
    if(!string.IsNullOrEmpty(www.error))
    {
    Debug.Log(www.error);
    yield break;
    }
    //Instantiate((GameObject)www.assetBundle.LoadAsset("bggg"));
    _t1 = (Texture)www.assetBundle.LoadAsset("bggg");

_wall.GetComponent<Renderer> ().material.mainTexture = _t1;

yield return null;

www.assetBundle.Unload(false);
    }
    }
    }

the wall's default texture is going but the assetbundle texture is not applying on it ..any mistake have I made it..

29. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Please learn to format your code properly.

30. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

If you are talking about the asset bundle class, can you please ask @Mike Geig ? He will probably know better than I will.

31. Good_Venson

Good_Venson

Hey, I am implementing the messaging system you presented into a game, but have run into a slight complication. I need to be able to pass arguments. I only need to pass one argument, although there are several different types of argument that I have to pass.
    I'd like to be able to specify the type in the StartListening() function, and I guess that I could extend the eventDictionary to accept an argument type. However, I have no idea how to pass types.

What would be the best way to pass arguments within the scope of your EventManager?

P.S. I think you should do more "generic" lessons like "Events: Creating a simple messaging system" and "Object Pooling" and "UI Tools: Making a generic modal window" that can be implemented in many different types of games. I have used the Object Pooling in many projects, and it has saved me many hours! Thanks for all of your (and the other live trainers') hard work! It keeps us less experienced folks from giving up in despair =P

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  32. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Off the top of my head, I'd suggest looking at how we pass things in the Modal Window lessons - part 2? might be best? - and see if that helps you.

If it doesn't, ping us back and we'll look more closely.

Good_Venson likes this.
  33. yakattak

yakattak

Are you guys going to be uploading the textures for the heightmaps live training? I can't seem to find the exact ones in the standard assets.

34. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

You should be able to find them all in either standard assets or the Viking village demo. I changed one of the textures, where we discuss tiling, while won't be in either. They're sort of a mish-mash of items, but - after Unite Europe this week when I'm back - I can make those a package and post them.

35. Micz84

Micz84

Could you make live training sessions or some tutorials about UNET?

36. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Were doing that right now. You don't need to hold your breath for much longer. I'll let you know when it's ready…

OboShape likes this.
  37. sadsack

sadsack

Are you still doing the live training sessions?

38. karan667

karan667

Can you please make a tutorial for unity asset bundle.
    I would like to know how to make multiple asset bundles.
    Also would like to know how to access individual assets once they have been downloaded to the mobile device.
    please make it simple as coding is very new to me, so not been able to follow the unity documentation

39. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Yes we are. We have a combination of summer holidays, an internal reorganization and a few other issues which will mean a slight delay in new sessions.

40. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

I am writing just that tutorial, tho' it may not be a live training episode. We will be revealing a new high-level api and asset bundle manager that will simplify the workflow of making and using asset bundles.

karan667 likes this.
  41. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Can you post a thread in scripting to get an answer to your question in bold? This should be in the documentation, but if you need help on this particular issue, a unique forum post (or answers post) would be best. If you post on the forum, you can use @adambuckner to get my attention and I'll come look.

42. sadsack

sadsack

Hi,
    Does anyone have the script that goes with fun with laser. This is the live tut.
    Thank you
    renny

[edit by moderator]

Please don't use excessive caps, bold or large type size.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2015
  43. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Is there no script attached to the live training page? It should be included in the body of the page. If not, can you please tag @Mike Geig who presented this Session? I'm sure he can get you the script or post the script on the page.

44. sadsack

sadsack

THANK YOU

45. MJ-Z

MJ-Z

Love these training sessions, just wanted to drop a line to thank you guys on the great work you're doing.
    Too much to learn and while things appear to be overwhelming at first, going through these sessions and other material on the site proved invaluable.
    Looking forward to getting down and dirty with UNet lol
    Getting my fix through other videos and presentations in the wild until then :)

hangemhigh likes this.
  46. neelbhave91

neelbhave91

Hello ! I wanted to add some tilt to the car when it turns In the Hover Car Game
    I used the following code after the AddRelativeTorque function - carRigidbody.rotation = Quaternion.Euler (0.0f,0.0f,turnInput* tilt); where tilt value is 1.5 Due to the above code the car tilts on input but it doesnt turn (Torque doesnt work ). Please help !!

Attached Files:

47. karan667

karan667

Thank you

48. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Torque is a force being added to the rotation. If you simply want to set a tilt value, you could look into setting the transform's rotation, or use rigidbody moveRotation.

49. karan667

karan667

I have posted the question in scripting.
    Thank you

50. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

You can also look at the solution in Space Shooter, where the value of tilt is set by the rigidbody velocity. In your case, you could look into setting it with angular velocity. In reality, without friction or drag on the nonexistent tyres, there shouldn't be any tilt. Tilt on cars come from the wheels forcing the body to change direction. Tilt in aeroplanes comes from rotating the aircraft to force the wings into a position where their force against the air will turn the craft. So, it's all a bit of a style thing, in the end.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.