Search Unity

Free Live Online Training from Unity Technologies

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by Adam-Buckner, Oct 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Herald

Herald

Adam,

I just watched the "Coding in Unity for the Absolute Beginner" and It was very helpful. I am taking your advice and am writing you to tell you what I would like to see:

1. More "Coding in Unity for the Absolute Beginner". I'd like to see this as an ongoing course.
    2. Exercises. I would like the "Coding in Unity for the Absolute Beginner" ongoing course to offer exercises like I would find in math or chemistry textbooks. Specifically, I would like to see 10 questions that hammer home the same concept (i.e. how many different ways can I solve the same problem using a FOR LOOP) at the end of each section talked about in the upcoming "Coding in Unity for the Absolute Beginner" ongoing series.

Again, I am most appreciative of this particular video (I like the others very much as well but I need a solid grounding in C# for Unity) and am remaining VERY hopeful that this turns into a full blown course with exercises.

Thank you

David C. Bennett, MSc
    Senior Administrator,
    3D Animation Laboratory, Media Lab
    and DMS
    Texas Tech University

2. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Herald:

I have plans to take the "Unity for Absolute Beginners" further forward, not just with coding.

It's a balance with all the other things I / we are doing, but expect more in the future.

I like the idea of exercises. In many cases, this is currently "Where will you take the project next?" where I see (as above) people adding in functionality and learning new things to achieve these goals.

That being said, I take your point and I'll see what I can do to implement more of this.

3. Robby133

Robby133

Hi Adam,

I am avid follower of your Unity3d courses, Thnxss to your series i am able learn unity very fast.

As i am more inclined to Game play programming which involve dealing with 3D Maths,Vectors & Matrices,
    Although i know basics of them, i don't know how to apply them in unity3d Scripting & Plus i haven't found any good tutorial on internet which showcase there implementation in unity3d.
    So it would be great if you could do a live-training session about 3D Maths & Vectors involved in game programming & make life of newbie programmer easy!!!

In the end let me thank you and Mike for all the tutorials so far!!

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  4. OboShape

OboShape

5. Herald

Herald

6. KentEngel

KentEngel

Hey Adam,

First of all, thanks a lot for the great tutorials -- they are very helpful!

I just finished the Angry Birds tutorial because I need to adapt the physics for a game that I am making and am having a hard time altering the script to fit my needs. Basically, instead of a slingshot there will be a character throwing objects so I need to figure out how to replace the catapultFront or just do away with it altogether. I want the object to have the same restraints but instead of the spring being connected to a catapult it will be connected to the character's arm (the arm will follow the motion of the object....arm will release to throw object). Seems simple enough but I am in over my head trying to create a game by myself with only ever having experience with game art and general in-engine editor stuff. Thanks in advance!

-Kent

7. wilberh

wilberh

8. gurayg

gurayg

Hi Adam,
    Following the videos and learning a lot ! Thanks for all the hard work for the work done by Learn team. Much appreciated.

Wanted to ask if you have any plans to make videos that cover;

-Profiler tips and tricks
    -Tips and tricks about CPU/GPU performance
    -How/When to use the Unity test Tools effectively

Thanks!

9. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

You're welcome! I'm glad you found it useful. I hope to get as many people up and running as fast as possible.

10. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Added to the list! Thanks for the suggestion.

11. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

There definitely could be more information on basic maths, especially 3D maths and vectors. Many of these are cleanly wrapped up in places like MathF (see the doc's here), or within the 3D object, like the the Vector3 class (see the doc's here), which have 3D functions to solve basic maths issues like distance, cross product, dot product, lerp, etc..

There are also tutorial videos in our learn section that help describe these subjects:
    http://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/modules/beginner/scripting/vector-maths-dot-cross-products

Do you find that between the link the OboShape (THANKS!) has linked, and the learn site videos, you have enough information? Or are you still looking for / needing more?

12. MarkOfVarberg

MarkOfVarberg

Hi Adam,

Thanks for the great training videos!

tl;dr
    Please make videos about mobile 2D games:
    - Dragging animated characters around on a multiple screen wide environment and have the camera follow to the extents of the environment
    - Dragging animated characters around that react quickly to dragging but can also act as physics objects
    - How to make characters or objects physics-based "most of the time", but be added as non-physics-based to physics-based objects (such as a ferris wheel chair that is swinging to and fro)
    tl;dr

More detailed explanation follows :)
    I am stuck on how best to solve things in my current game. I hope you can do a video about it even if it is just one of the areas of my questions ;-)

Here is the background info:
    - I am building a 2D game where each level will be multiple screens wide (lets say 3-5)
    - There are multiple 2D animated characters per level
    - Each character can be dragged around and have items dragged to it to trigger something or attach to the character (food or a balloon for example)
    - The characters being dragged should be physics-based (an example is dropping a character from a height onto a trampoline) but should also respond very quickly to dragging and throwing them, dropping with force etc
    - The characters should also be able to be dragged onto things and then become non-physics-based (an example is dropping a character on a pirate ship ride where the character should be placed on the closest seat position to current drag position and be attached to the seat and rotate along with the pirate ship)
    - The characters should be fixedAngle most of the time, but when they are for example on the pirate ship, they should be a child of the seat game object and rotating along with it.

Here are the problems I have run into trying to get the above to work:
    - I tried making the characters purely physics-based and attached a RigidBody2D script to handle the dragging. But the problem here is that the script relies on a SpringJoint2d attached to the rigidbody to handle the dragging and this is not "precise" and causes a "swinging" effect when dragging quickly. It also meant I had to make little "collider buckets" for the seat positions on the ride for the character to fall into. The problems being that because the character is fixedAngle it doesn't rotate with the ride and the other problem is that the character slides around in the "collider bucket".
    - I tried making the characters non-physics based. Now the dragging is fast and clean, but I'm left having to create the animations for the characters, for example dropping onto a trampoline or throwing the characters.
    - I tried a few hybrid approaches like turning isKinematic on/off and dragging the game objects despite being rigidbodies and all of the tried approaches had side effects.

What I want is a nice combination of both worlds. I want physics-based characters that can be dragged cleanly and quickly, and also collide with objects in the environment. I want the characters to be fixedAngle, except when they are attached to certain objects - for example the pirate ship.

13. Matthew-Schell

Matthew-Schell

hey Mark,

I recommend looking at the Angry Birds live training, some of this stuff, clicking and dragging, pulling characters in and out of physics should be covered there. With regard to pulling characters in/out of Physics simulation I've achieved this by setting the rigidbody to kinematic when picked up and then turning isKinematic off when released, I would pursue that direction further and see if you can overcome any undesirable side effects.

14. MarkOfVarberg

MarkOfVarberg

Hi Matthew,

OK - I'll check these videos out again and see if I can figure out a way around the issues I was having.

One other question I have is swiping the camera around a multi-screen environment. There are a lot of different solutions flying around and the one I'm using is adding a rigidbody to the camera and then adding force.
    But this doesn't give a native experience. I would like something like the uGui scrollrect where the feel is much more native-like.

Is this something you could show us how to set up?

15. basavaraj_guled

basavaraj_guled

Hi I m new to unity, i dont know anything scripting on components so please make a video that covering scripting on component with complete C# concepts. waiting for video.

16. OboShape

OboShape

Hi basavaraj_guled,

Just a friendly post from an other forum user :)

Have you had a look at the tutorials section of the Learn site of Unity to see if what your after is there?
    there is an absolute tonne of resources and tutorials to get started with dealing with scripting under the Scripting topic header.
    http://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/modules
    Or have a run through a couple of the complete project tutorials on that page, they're quite in depth.

there are also a few previous live training sessions in the archive that deal with 'How to communicate between Scripts and GameObjects ' and a few 'Scripting Primer' sessions.
    http://unity3d.com/learn/live-training

Hope some of that helps while you wait for one of the learn team to get back to you.

ObO

17. michael mico

michael mico

Hello Adam Buckner ,

There are a lot of people want to learn scripting in the Live online training courses , we started that with Mike Geig in 3 sessions was titled “ Scripting primer ” they were awesome and , I learned :

- Many of variable types

- Declaring and Initializing variables

- Simple Scope and blocks

- Some operators types

- Incrementer and decrementer

- If statement

- simple Switch statement

so we are waiting to continue learning , you made a great session titled as “Coding for the Absolute Beginners” it was also awesome but we want to continue what we started to learn before to gain a complete benefit.

Please I hope you read my message , … thanks.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
  18. MeneerMalik

MeneerMalik

Hi Adam,

Really wanted to thank you for the great video tutorials. I started programming 2 months ago and in that time your videos took me from knowing NOTHING (and i really do mean nothing...) to being able to program simple games.

One question I do have, i was doing the angry birds tutorial and even though my script works out, i'm encountering a strange bug. Every time i drag the asteroid backwards, it always goes straight to maximum reach. Meaning, i always shoot the asteroid at full speed, there is no in between the maximum stretch and zero. I watched the video 2 times and copied every single line, but it doesn't seem to clear the bug for some reason... If there's any way you could help me out i'd really appreciate it.

If anybody on this forum knows the solution, then ofcourse i'd be more than happy to hear it!

Attached Files:

19. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

I'm on holidays for a week or so, but if I get the chance, I'll look at the script.

20. MeneerMalik

MeneerMalik

Really appreciate it. Enjoy your holidays! If anybody else has any clue as to why this happens, please let me know!

Edit: Can it also be something else than a scripting problem? Meaning a problem with how i've set my springjoint, or asteroid, or whatever? Because i've looked at the script a lot of times, and it doesn't seem wrong in any way. Then again it IS programming, so i might've overlooked something haha. Thanks!

21. MeneerMalik

MeneerMalik

Hi Adam, wanted to save you the trouble, i finally figured it out. I had a camerafollow script attached to my projectile, which was in conflict with the projectiledragging script. So i have to figure out a different script which keeps following my projectile without interfering with the projectile dragging script. Thanks for the reply though!

22. AshwinMods

AshwinMods

@Adam Buckner @Matthew Schell @Mike Geig ,
    First of all,
    Thanks a Lot for Teaching us Guys,
    and the way you guys teach us is far better then any school or institute,
    ----------
    i have watched each of training in archives,
    but i'm stuck on my two very first games i want to build.
    -----------
    First one needs a Bike,

Can you guys please do a session about
    physics of Vehicles, as i said on twitter (& i got no reply),
    The new unity assets package is helpful for physics of Plane & Car,
    But making a motorbike is a Big Problem for me,
    i have replaced the Car model with Bike,
    and made a script that rotates the wheels of bike according to the rotation of Car's Wheel & Mudguard, plus it also lean the bike according to turn angle.
    & that was a Nice trick but
    it is not as good as Bikes of GTA's or MotoGP, etc.

so, any help on Bike physics would be a great boost to lots of Bike Games
    ------------
    And Second one needs Multi-player Lan Connectivity System,

i'm interested Counter Strike type of multi-player LAN Games,
    & i have made a map of my own school(no students ha ha) with Player & weapon system ,
    but i am stuck at connectivity.
    So, How to deal with the code of making a Server, Letting other nods on LAN to get connected to it, & how to give them their own Player & a Camera with a Audio listener obviously,

(i apologize for my English)

Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
  23. Merry11

Merry11

Hi Adam,
    I am a Computer Scientist with a lot of Background in OOP and I currently have a lot of troubles figuring out good ways to implement good practices in Unity.
    I would like you guys to please cover the following:
    - Code Architecture in large Scale Projects (which of course can be used in small projects)
    - Testability, reusability, workflow
    - IoC / DI (optionally MVCS, strangeIoC comes to mind)

I have seen the Unite 2014 Presentation by collective mass which was a good start but nothing conclusive.

Thank you guys for making these Videos.

itsa likes this.
  24. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Architecture and "Best Practices" presentations are on our road map, but, sadly, they are not as urgent as some of the other subjects like the UI.

We will get to them!

For now, as opposed to an OOP inheritance pattern, be aware that Unity is best used with the single responsibility component pattern, where creating single independent reusable components is best.

There is also this:
    http://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/modules/intermediate/scripting/coding-practices

-

There is also this:
    http://blogs.unity3d.com/2012/03/23/shadowgun-optimizing-for-mobile-sample-level/

... that might be worth looking at how they set up their level.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  25. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Ashwin Star: I believe a motorbike is on the roadmap for sample assets, but I wouldn't expect to see anything on this until Unity 5 is available.

I would suggest google, or the Unity search (unity3d.com/search) and see what the community has made, or open a thread on the forum asking for advice. I would also suggest looking at the Asset Store, as there might be a pre-made solution there.

Vehicle physics is not an easy task, and it can take a lot of work and tweaking...

Sorry not to have an out-of-the-box solution, but game-specific assets are always so tightly customized to each game, it's hard to have a solution for everyone.

AshwinMods likes this.
  26. NicoNN

NicoNN

Hi Adam,

I was wondering when the live training about the resolution independance will be online/archived? I'm really looking forward for this particulair video. Thank you.

27. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Sadly, I've had some higher priorities, including getting this coming week's session ready. It takes me a certain amount of time to prep and upload the session, including editing the Q&A sessions... I would expect mid-week this coming week as an ETA.

Gnatty likes this.
  28. jarkkis

jarkkis

Hello,

Mobile Development: Converting Space Shooter to Mobile was really good session, hoping to see more of this or sequel... Is there change for this?

Anyway, thank you for making this. :)

29. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Hi back, and thanks for the positive comments!

What are you looking for more of? More mobile development? More UI tools?

Matt and I have outlines for classes, at least once a week, from now until spring, but I'm happy to adjust this schedule for requests, if possible.

30. Matthew-Schell

Matthew-Schell

hey all,

Just wanted to do a quick (if slightly late) introduction of myself. Some of you guys have probably 'met' me already through some of my recent live training sessions. I'm the new guy on the team and will be helping Adam out with doing the live trainings for the foreseeable future. I've been a teacher for many years, a musician and audio engineer for more years than that and have been using Unity for the past few years. I love teaching, I love games and I love making games with Unity so when I saw an opportunity to join the team I jumped at it!

As Adam has mentioned we're always interested to hear from members of the community about things that might be helpful as training topics, so feel free to chime in with your requests. I see a lot of people with 'please show me how to make feature X of my game' requests, which I understand but I'd recommend if you'd like to actually see us do something on a topic, try to think of a way to make what you need to learn something that will be useful to the largest number of people possible. There are many things that I'm personally interested in and would love to go on and on about but it's important for the trainings to be broad so they can help as many people as possible.

Thanks and nice to meet you all!
    Matt

itsa, AshwinMods and OboShape like this.
  31. AshwinMods

AshwinMods

Thanks @Adam Buckner
    i'll be waiting for Sample Assets Update With a Motorbike,

hi @Matthew Schell
    nice to see you too.

a Session about AI would be a Great Help

I found that UNITY is Best way to Show our Talent with lots of Epic Games & Ideas,
    But we need your Guidance a lot to Shine.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  32. redstudio

redstudio

When we will get this - UI Tools: Resolution & Device Independence
    More then 7 days and still not uploaded for downloading.

33. jarkkis

jarkkis

@Adam Buckner

More mobile dev in general, maybe, from start to end project, not 2D but 3D, mobile tips and tricks
    and mobile networking should be useful to everyone too.. :)

34. Gametyme

Gametyme

@Adam Buckner

More mobile dev would be great. Especially, mobile controls.

35. Nitrohex

Nitrohex

I agree, also mobile optimization, performance, tips and tricks, etc.

36. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Looks like we stirred up a lot of interest in mobile development!

We are scheduled thru the winter holidays and into the new year, but we will look at adding more mobile development sessions after that.

Do you have any specific, targeted, subject? We try to keep our live sessions to about an hour in length.

37. Gametyme

Gametyme

38. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

First take a look at the "Sample Assets" and their cross platform control systems. This includes joysticks and other mobile input schemes. Will these solve your needs out of the box?

By the end of the day today there should be an archive of this week's session on converting Space Shooter to Mobile, which includes some basic touch pad and accelerometer controls, as well.

39. jarkkis

jarkkis

Yeah, I think that mobilecontrols have been covered pretty well on sample assets and in this last space shooter session...
    So these three should serve everyone?

Tips and tricks
    Optimization
    Networking

atleast I think so :D

40. gurayg

gurayg

Count me in for optimization and Tips and Tricks :)
    Although learning about optimization in general is OK.
    I'd be happy to learn optimization covering Blendshapes and Mecanim.

And wanted to ask; Will you be posting any videos about Unity 5 before the official release?

41. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

42. Gametyme

Gametyme

I tried the sample assets and experienced programmer without luck. I will try again after watching the space shooter to mobile conversion.

I think a more detailed lesson on mecanim would e awesome. Only things I can find is how to make the player run and jump.

43. itsa

itsa

Unity Event system in general programming and in UI programming, like getting mobile gestures to work with it. It is a new topic but i think it is not getting enough love...

44. jarkkis

jarkkis

Controls are there and I thought that those were easy to figure out, you got to dig deeper :)

as for mecanim,

Adam has atleast one more live session that you should look at http://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/modules/beginner/live-training-archive/animate-anything

another is Mike's, http://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/modules/beginner/2d/2d-controllers

with these you only have to use your head to build things :)

45. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

Your pages for the 3 FPS training videos have the wrong dates set for the timer and the calender buttons. That all come up on the 16th, instead of the 16th, 17th, and 18th. FYI

46. Gametyme

Gametyme

47. AshwinMods

AshwinMods

they are as they should,
    i think you didn't noticed they redirect you to the same page of first session.

48. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

OK, so its still wrong.. Thanks for pointing out my error, that their error IS actually wrong.

49. weitay

weitay

Really great work with the tutorials! They are really fantastic!

Just one small request I know you guys are trying to figure out how to distribute the packages but could you post up the scripts on the tutorial pages to start with?

At the moment I'm trying to pause the video and copy the scripts by hand but that doesnt really work for some of the larger scripts! LOL

50. Mike-Geig

Mike-Geig

Unity Technologies

The scripts I wrote are being added to the pages. Not sure about other ones.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.