Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Free Live Online Training from Unity Technologies

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by Adam-Buckner, Oct 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lLIGHTNINGl

lLIGHTNINGl

Hm, if anyone sees this, why did my last post go invisible?

2. lLIGHTNINGl

lLIGHTNINGl

Oh, there it is! Never mind...
    o_O

3. OboShape

OboShape

to change your avatar, go to top right of the page, where its got 'yourname' inbox and alerts.
    click 'yourname' > Avatar.

the online training, this can be found at the learn section Link >> http://unity3d.com/learn.

4. suchos

suchos

Hello, I would like to ask you if you can do a live tutorial about 2D lights.

On my mind is something like this:

But I would appreciate anything about 2D lights in unity.

Thank you.

5. Yarbrough8

Yarbrough8

Thank you so much, Adam! I really appreciate the live training. Looking forward to more of them.

Suggestions: Workflow for setting up multiple players, items or anything similar. Overview about what menu system would be needed, how to store players/items over scenes and generally how to manage multiple objects over the course of a game.

6. contab009

contab009

An idea concerning the live session page : adding a button/option which would toggle between 2 layouts of the page; one would be the current one and the other would be like the twitch page, with the chat on the right, so that people can watch both the video and the chat at the same time, without scrolling.

7. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

AJDB: Sorry, I seem to have missed this. Have you found a solution?

8. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

I will add this to the road map. Editor Scripting is not as well covered in our lessons as it is more advanced, and by the time people get to this level, are fairly confident on their own.

I will, however, try to get more editor scripting on the slate.

If you have a specific issue, please do create a forum or answers post and send me the URL and I'll see what I can do to help.

9. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Runtime terrain editing is definitely an advanced topic.

It is possible, and Son of Nor use it extensively.

I intend to do a session (or more) on Terrain editing, but I don't have run-time modification on the road map yet... but I'll make a note to see what I can do. It's something I'd have to look at more closely, as I don't know it that well.

10. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Go to your profile page, click in your empty picture frame and follow the instructions.

Look at the schedule on the page linked below and be on that page when class starts:
    http://unity3d.com/learn/live-training/

11. Louhikarme

Louhikarme

Thanks for the reply Adam, i'll need to check out Son of Nor aswell.
    since i'm beginner still with scripting i did manage to do some basic stuff with raising or lowering single point in the terrain. problems start when i try to do bigger chunks. Anyways, its something i do while i'm learning the basics. already rewritten it couple times. :)
    just wish there would be better documentation about the terrain editing and what happend during runtime.

12. rgsgroup2005

rgsgroup2005

Hello, I completely followed your directions for
    Making an "Angry Birds" style game but having some errors saying:
    Assets/Scripts/ProjectileTrack.cs(37,57): error CS0103: The name `prevVelocity' does not exist in the current context... Any idea what I might have missed? Thanks for this awesome course! I posted the code below hoping someone can help.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
  13. rgsgroup2005

rgsgroup2005

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using System.Collections;
    4. public class ProjectileTrack : MonoBehaviour {
    6.     public float maxStretch = 3.0f;
    7.     public LineRenderer catapultLineFront;
    8.     public LineRenderer catapultLineBack;
    10.     private SpringJoint2D spring;
    11.     private Transform catapult;
    12.     private Ray rayToMouse;
    13.     private Ray leftCatapultToProjectile;
    14.     private float maxStretchSqr;
    15.     private float circleRadius;
    16.     private bool clickedOn;
    18.     void Awake () {
    19.         spring = GetComponent <SpringJoint2D> ();
    20.         catapult = spring.connectedBody.transform;
    21.     }
    23.     void Start () {
    24.         LineRendererSetup ();
    25.         rayToMouse = new Ray (catapult.position, Vector3.zero);
    26.         leftCatapultToProjectile = new Ray (catapultLineFront.transform.position, Vector3.zero);
    27.         maxStretchSqr = maxStretch * maxStretch;
    28.         CircleCollider2D circle = collider2D as CircleCollider2D;
    29.         circleRadius = circle.radius;
    30.     }
    32.     void Update () {
    33.         if (clickedOn)
    34.             Dragging ();
    36.         if (spring != null) {
    37.             if (!rigidbody2D.isKinematic && prevVelocity.sqrMagnitude > rigidbody2D.velocity.sqrMagnitude) {
    38.                 Destroy (spring);
    39.                 rigidbody2D.velocity = prevVelocity;
    40.             }
    42.             if (!clickedOn)
    43.                 prevVelocity = rigidbody2D.velocity;
    45.             LineRendererUpdate ();
    47.         } else {
    48.             catapultLineFront.enabled = false;
    49.             catapultLineBack.enabled = false;
    50.         }
    51.     }
    53.     void LineRendererSetup () {
    54.         catapultLineFront.SetPosition (0, catapultLineFront.transform.position);
    55.         catapultLineBack.SetPosition (0, catapultLineBack.transform.position);
    57.         catapultLineFront.sortingLayerName = "Foreground";
    58.         catapultLineBack.sortingLayerName = "Forground";
    60.         catapultLineFront.sortingOrder = 3;
    61.         catapultLineBack.sortingOrder = 1;
    62.     }
    64.     void OnMouseDown () {
    65.         spring.enabled = false;
    66.         clickedOn = true;
    67.     }
    69.     void OnMouseUp () {
    70.         spring.enabled = true;
    71.         rigidbody2D.isKinematic = false;
    72.         clickedOn = false;
    73.     }
    75.     void Dragging () {
    76.         Vector3 mouseWorldPoint = Camera.main.ScreenToWorldPoint (Input.mousePosition);
    77.         Vector2 catapultToMouse = mouseWorldPoint - catapult.position;
    79.         if (catapultToMouse.sqrMagnitude > maxStretchSqr) {
    80.             rayToMouse.direction = catapultToMouse;
    81.             mouseWorldPoint = rayToMouse.GetPoint(maxStretch);
    82.         }
    84.         mouseWorldPoint.z = 0f;
    85.         transform.position = mouseWorldPoint;
    86.     }
    88.     void LineRendererUpdate () {
    89.         Vector2 catapultToProjectile = transform.position - catapultLineFront.transform.position;
    90.         leftCatapultToProjectile.direction = catapultToProjectile;
    91.         Vector3 holdPoint = leftCatapultToProjectile.GetPoint (catapultToProjectile.magnitude + circleRadius);
    92.         catapultLineFront.SetPosition (1, holdPoint);
    93.         catapultLineBack.SetPosition (1, holdPoint);
    94.     }
    95. }

14. Yarbrough8

Yarbrough8

Yes, your variable "prevVelocity" either does not exist or is most probably not defined in the right scope. You should post your entire script, and somebody should be able to help you.

15. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Here is the link to Son of Nor:
    http://stillalive-studios.com/portfolio-item/son-of-nor/

I backed it, but I've ignored it. I'll need to go look!

16. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Yarbrough8 is correct.

Reading this error:
    This says that in the script which is in the directory location: Assets/Scripts/ProjectileTrack.cs is having an error.
    That error is on line 37, and is 57 characters in from the margin (37,57)
    The error is error CS0103: The name `prevVelocity' does not exist in the current context

(That's how you read the error in the console)

If you double click on the error, it will take you to the line that is causing the error message.

In this case, your variable `prevVelocity' does not exist, at least in the current context. This means that you have either failed to declare the variable (e.g.: public float prevVelocity) at all, or it was declared outside of the function or class that needs to use it - this is what is known as "outside of the correct scope".

Check to make sure you have declared this variable correctly.

If you need to, follow the tutorial again and double check your steps.

17. DoubleLee

DoubleLee

I've been looking around for a good tutorial on how to use an asset like a 3d character model with mecanim animations, driven by AI and/or player input. There's plenty of tuts on how to make a simple mecanim state machine, but no tutorials on how to link the fairly complex AI/Controller code ( and possible state machine ) into mecanim, and have the two communicate in the way that the unity developers intended.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  18. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

AI is a fairly complex and advanced topic, and the roots of AI are generic.

The first place I would look for starting with an AI Controller (other than the Asset Store) would be http://aigamedev.com/

Now, for Unity architecture... I would use component based architecture, and have one "motor" that drives all of your characters - player and NPC, and then drive them with a different set of "controller: components... one that takes player input and sends commands to the motor, one that takes nav mesh and AI instructions and sends commands to the motor.

Decouple/Separate these abilities.

The AI should just make decisions. The motor should move your character.

Look at the "sample assets" on the Asset Store, as I believe the character controllers are based on this "Controller/Motor" architecture.

19. idurvesh

idurvesh

How about making a live training on "Shader writing"? Lot of people do not know much about shader and there is not quite sufficient video tutorials are available on internet, so it will be awesome if you dedicate one live session for shader basics and writing shader from scratch .Thanks

DeJonge likes this.
  20. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

That's a really good idea for a class. I can teach an introduction to shader writing, but I'm no shader guru. What holds me back are the changes in Unity5 and physical based shading. I'm not sure just how much people will rely on custom shaders as much as using physically based materials. For that reason, I may hold off on shader writing until then.

That being said, the Unity documentation has some very good starting material on shaders and shader writing. I'm at a seminar right now on the iPad, but if you are still stuck looking for shader resources next week, I can point you to some of the pages then. Simply search the manual and reference for shader and see what you get!

21. idurvesh

idurvesh

Hi, Thanks for replay, I did research alot on shaders but no luck so far...

Actually ,I am stuck at depth masking in shader, I followed unity wiki tutorial on depth mask and answer given here ,

But the problem is, the masking object getting the solid color set in camera camera not skybox color,

basically I want it to be transparent and it should mask the targeted object which will be basically half under the water to show above water...

22. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

This deserves a proper reply in an appropriate location.

Can you repost you detailed question and what steps you've taken in the shader section. And paste the URL to the post here so I know where to find it?

23. idurvesh

idurvesh

24. Kiori

Kiori

Hi adam, last tutorial was the first time i ever had lag with unity/twitch, your rendering was also laggy, so maybe both were related. I'd look into it, it made the Tut unwatchable for me.
    And i guarantee it wasnt something exclusively on my end, cause i triple tested with other browsers, sites, etc. and all would download/stream really fast at max speed, except for the laggy unity/twitch transmission.

Thanks for taking the time.

25. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Yep. There was something definitely wrong about that live session. Not sure what it was, so I'll have to do some tests. The twitch feed data looked fine, but the editor was very very slow. I'll be running tests tomorrow, and I'll also try to work the recording to clean anything up so the archived edition will be usable.

26. tyoc213

tyoc213

Hi there, Im tyoc :) the one that asked at the end so it will be nice to know what to do when the import model has read-only and I cant add more curves or a new animation, because I need to add some extra "animations" that are not in the original model but from unity (because they are imported/buy assets... still if the only option is go to blender :S... I guess I will need to do that and see if all goes OK).

27. ashgabar

ashgabar

did anyone happen to record the last session Animate Anything with Mecanim?

NVM i found it on twitch

Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
  28. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Yes, ashgabar, you can find these on the twitch site. There are unfortunately some lag issues with that episode, which I am fixing, and the fixed recording will be linked today.

DeJonge likes this.
  29. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

I have not been able to look into this. It's on my list of ToDo's.

You may get some traction by asking on answers (or the forum).

If you do, can you post the link, so I know it's there?

30. itsa

itsa

Thank you for all the training videos, they are great. Do you plan on doing a video where you explain tweens (when i say tweens i mean animate from variable A to variable B) , and maybe do a comparison of tween engines and when we need to use a tween engine and when we can use mecanim. I think it is a source of confusion. Maybe share if mecanim is going to support tweening in the future.

31. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

I will be honest and say that I've never used tweens.

That's not to say we can't get a class together.

I have use Lerp for basic movement from one point to another, and animation curves for anything more complex.

[edit]

Can you give me more insight into your specific situation?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  32. itsa

itsa

The last time i needed to tween, was when making animations for a scrollbar, whose number of steps needed to change. In mecanim i need to hardcode values for the animation, making it hard to reuse, and sometimes a lot of work. Lerp is ok but its linear, and designers dont always want that. Maybe animation curves can be used for that but with a lot of coding.

33. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Ok! I'll see what we can do. As I said, I'm not so familiar with using tweens, per se, as I've found other solutions to what I needed to do.

34. tyoc213

tyoc213

35. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

tyoc213: I've written an answer. Let me know if this doesn't work.

36. WingSoft

WingSoft

Hi Adam, has I mentioned you on twitter, it will be nice to have a Tower Defense 2D tutorial, it's a grate type of game and something must of the people starting with unity wonder (well, I don't know if it's just me XD)

Also @suchos mentioned a 2D Light tutorial, I read somewhere that this is kind of tricky, since 2D sprites doesn't have a texture on it. But if you can make that with unity, it will be terrific to know how to.

Thanks to you and to Mike for all the tutorials so far.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
  37. WingSoft

WingSoft

Hey, it would also be good to learn how to monetize your game with Unity Ads and a logging with facebook tutorial.

Sorry if I'am asking for to much, I'm kind of new in game development, so I feel like a child making a wishlist for Santa.

Thank you for all the material.

38. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Actually, I do have Unity Ads on my roadmap of upcoming classes… I need to do a little bit more experimentation, and actually deploy an application with ads included, but it's certainly something I would like to do sooner rather than later.

39. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

2D lighting is relatively simple, but I could do some additional to be classes, including tiled backgrounds, lighting and other features…

If you look at sprites, they do have textures on them, they are just imported as the sprite type texture.

All you need to do is to use an appropriate shader on the material that accepts lighting and you can light the sprite; you can even use normal maps. In this way, if your character has a torch, your 2D tiles will light up based on the location of the light of the torch being held by your character.

Remember, the 2-D sprite is essentially a quad with the texture on it, and that texture is imported, optimised and used in a way designed for 2D.

40. Jose Alberto

Jose Alberto

Hi Adam! Is there any chance to make a Live Training on Unity's UI best practices? (eg.: using panels or canvas, textures sizes and optimization, etc.)

41. fournicknet

fournicknet

You guys are awesome for making these! I have watched all of these tutorials that you put out! Can't wait to see Coding for the absolute beginner and UI Panes, Panels and Windows. I can't watch them live so the only way i see these is through the archive. Keep up the excellent work!

42. notaspringchicken

notaspringchicken

Hello Adam;

Keith.M
    Freelance and Contract Visualiser-Senior.

I Hope I haven't bombed the wrong thread.!!

I am currently addressing Unity as an element in my workflow. I'm hoping that it can do what I want it to do.

I'm Arch Viz / Fabrication and Industrial Viz. I'm senior as regards as my specialisation's but am really interested in
    creating some "levels" to showcase clients projects.( and love the idea )

I understand the premise of the majority of Unity ; but I haven't found some definitive answers to certain questions that will affect my workflow.

Unfortunately / Happily ; I dont have the time to dig through all the tutorials ; and am looking for
    some links to the type of thing I wish to create (arch Viz ; Factory / Product Viz); to see if Unity is what I need.

I'm concerned about how Unity works when you don't want to publish a "game" to everyone; just to specific clients.

My questions relate to :

Maximum Usable file size (PC/Mac?Ios) (RAM GPU ETC)
    Locking Asset's to non-editable formats on 1-1 sharing (my models are my models ; over 120,000)
    Texture Loading Time on a local install and optimisation ( Arch Viz uses Hero Data on everything;plausible in local install?)
    Depth of View (complex model; hidden geometry )
    Updating scene to client (do I need to create new file or can I update externally )

I would be interested in on-line training but I don't really need to address certain fundamentals;

If you offer specialised courses/tutorials I'd love to know more.

I'd be obliged if you can point me to a few projects that may be applicable to my field that are downloadable for instant play / experience and showcase Unity

Hopefully I haven't invaded the wrong space; any input/advice appreciated.

If I'm in the wrong area please feel free to shunt my queries.

Regards

NaSc-Keith

43. OboShape

OboShape

Morning bud,

just having a quick read before i leave the house, I dont know about all the techie limitation stuff, but i can point you to a couple of things to look at while you wait for someone from Unity to get back to you :)

you can publish a single scene, that shows off whatever 3D/2D content, interactive or not, that you want to display, although there is alot of games, it doesnt have to be a game.

have a look at the non-game showreel (link here), theres a bit in there for Architecture and for all the non-game showcase items have a look here (link here).

44. mrvllus

mrvllus

45. mrvllus

mrvllus

Figured it out, I was pushing my build to onedrive and for whatever reason, when I built locally first and then copied to onedrive, it worked.

46. Pfaffsle

Pfaffsle

Hello Adam.

Thank you for some really good hands on lessons! Though I am fairly experienced at using Unity I always seem to pick up some new knowledge watching your training sessions. I am however not able to access the two most recent videos (UI Panes, Panels and Windows and Coding for the absolute beginner) as their links are missing on the live training page.

Anyway, keep up the good work. It is highly appreciated!

Best regards
    - Jakob

47. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Yay! Fantastic. Best work I did all day! :D

But seriously, glad you got it working.

48. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

I've been very busy getting things ready for Unite Australia next week, so, sadly, posting those was de-prioritized a bit. They are now up on the archive site:
    http://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/modules/live-training-archive

(PS: Look for Panes, Panels and Windows under "Intermediate"]

49. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Thank you very much! Knowing what I do is helpful and well received always makes me feel good and helps me keep going!

50. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Keith,

First off - let me tell you that we are definitely working with Architectural visualization companies. Can you PM me contact details?

Now, this page is more for discussions around what we have done, are doing or are going to do with live training, so, I'll see who I can find to get in touch with you...

And to respond to a few Q's off the top of my head:
    - You don't need to make a Game. Simulation/Visualization is a perfectly fine use of Unity. What platforms will your clients be working on? Tablet (iOS/Android)? Web? Most of these platforms simply depend upon limiting your distribution. Webpages can be locked. I know Apple supports Enterprise builds...

- A lot? I don't have data at my finger tips, but the applications/executables can be small enough for mobile downloads, or big enough for MMOs.

- There are security and obfuscation methods that are and can be put in place. Most people will not have access to your assets. That being said, however, any willing and able person of sufficient skill and usually defeat any and all security from pretty much any system. Our security is industry standard... but there are tools people can get access to that can decompile pretty much anything, but they have to be "that type" of person.

- Unity is designed for real-time rendered games (and other applications, like simulations...), so the engine is optimized for texture loading, and local installs are the fastest. SO - "fast".

- I have no experience directly with "Arch Vis" or "Hero Data", so I can't comment on that...

- Unity has built in "frustum" culling, so objects not in the camera's viewport are ignored. Occlusion culling is also possible, where a "map" is baked for the scene and occluded objects are ignored.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.