Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Free Live Online Training from Unity Technologies

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by Adam-Buckner, Oct 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matthew-Schell

Matthew-Schell

Honestly this is probably a bit more advanced than would be worth going into in a live training and will likely be very specific to your type of game. It's debatable but I think there is also some question as to whether limiting piracy is worth the return on investment since A) most DRM schemes either punish paying customers OR B) get cracked and I think as a small indie you probably want as many people as possible playing and talking about your game to raise awareness, including pirates.

I think the as an indie your biggest struggle is just to get anyone to know the game exists, not to defeat piracy. Just my opinion.

SerPineapples and Adam-Buckner like this.
  2. SerPineapples

SerPineapples

Fair point.

Yeah I guess that's one of the most important part anyways. To raise awareness of the game rather than to worry about how to get the most money out of them. Honestly I don't care much about the money but as someone who is thinking about moving out of his parent's house next year for uni, I can't help to think of ways to I can start supporting myself and be less of a financial burden on my parents. Besides, if a game is good and the devs fan the flames a bit, then the awareness is bound to grow exponentially and that is bound to improve sales, right? And I see your point, even pirates can help to raise awareness by talking about the game to their peers.

Anyways thanks for the candid response! It helped to put things in perspective :)

Matthew-Schell likes this.
  3. JtheSpaceC

JtheSpaceC

4. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

I will add this to the list! Thanks! Didn't realize anything was missing. If there is code to be posted, I'll post the code. Can I ask what code it is that you were looking for?

5. JtheSpaceC

JtheSpaceC

Thanks.

Well I was especially interested in getting a look at the code for Example 2 (Inventory) as there's a lot more to it than what you go through.
    The ghost car was also pretty interesting though it looks simpler to manage on our own.
    All the code from the lesson would be great though. Here's a screen of the MonoDevelop tabs, attached.

Cheers
    Kevin

EDIT: That screenshot actually doesn't include the tabs from the ghost car example.

Attached Files:

6. konstantin_lozev

konstantin_lozev

Just watched the live tutorial on Merry Fragmas 2.0, fantastic new feature and great coverage!
    I have some questions though. I think the confetti blast is only visible to the local player, right? Also, I am not really sure on how to extend that project into a co-op most efficiently. It seems there would be a lot more to synch around with all enemies, etc. Not sure on which client/server would the enemy AI have to run. Maybe that would in all cases necessitate a dedicated server?
    Overall, a revisiting of the Merry Fragmas project with basic co-op element should be very much appreciated!

7. JtheSpaceC

JtheSpaceC

@Adam Buckner
    Any word on this? My apologies if it's the kind of thing that takes a lot of time. Just wasn't sure if it was so I thought I'd check. I'm new to interacting with this thread.

8. Smokin28

Smokin28

Hello, I followed the Breakout tutorial to the letter, but at the end of the tutorial his worked, and I had errors.
    I'm attaching the DeadZone script. Also, I reset my x,y and z each time I added something new during the tutorial. But once I created the Bricks prefab and deleted the bricks from the hierarchy, the GM doesn't load the bricks in the center.
    The GM loads the bricks further back and off to the right, not in between the 2 walls. The walls and everything is set dead center. Why don't they line up once the GM loads them?

Here is the error I'm getting:
    NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    DeadZone.OnTriggerEnter (UnityEngine.Collider col) (at Assets/Scripts/DeadZone.cs:9)

Attached Files:

9. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

TBH, I think I'm going to replace that session with one that is of more practical value, and I'll make sure I get all of the scripts made available.

10. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

As this session was done by @Mike Geig, I think it would be best if he answered that one.

11. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

As this session was done by @Matthew Schell, I think it would be best if he answered that one.

12. Matthew-Schell

Matthew-Schell

There seem to be two problems here. First I think that you need to make sure that when you create the empty Brick prefab holder object that it's created at position 0,0,0. Make sure that the GM is in the same position. This is not very clear in the tutorial. They both need to be in the same position which SHOULD happen by default but some people seem to have an issue with this.

For the second issue of the error it sounds to me like there is not a GM object in your scene when you're starting the game.

13. konstantin_lozev

konstantin_lozev

OK, thanks, shall I post somewhere else or just wait for him to react?

14. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Mike is currently on the road doing a round of live training, so it may take a short moment before he responds. I've made sure he knows about this.

15. konstantin_lozev

konstantin_lozev

Cool, thanks, I am sure he mentioned in some of the live trainings that he barely goes outside :)))

16. Mike-Geig

Mike-Geig

Unity Technologies

Sorry for later response, currently traveling. So to answer in pieces:
    1) The confetti blast is local viewable only. You could easily change the "firing" code to be a server command that then calls an RPC to play the particle effect. That way everyone would see it.
    2) A co-op wouldn't be that more work. You would need to add the enemies to the spawnable prefab list on the network manager.
    3) Regarding servers, you wouldn't need a dedicated server per se. It really depends on how heavy your game is, but for a reasonable project, I can't imagine dedicated would be needed. If you remember how we made the player a "local authority"? The spawnable enemies would not be a local authority and then they will be managed entirely by the server.

Cheers

konstantin_lozev likes this.
  17. konstantin_lozev

konstantin_lozev

Cool, thanks :) I will try those out! On co-op, I will look into that spawnable prefab list. Sill, not sure where the AI code would have to work (if that makes sense, sorry, a bit lost here).

18. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

If the enemies are controlled by the server, then the ai code would be controlled by the server. Part of your decision would be whether the units were autonomous and each had their own code / state machine, or if there was an uber controller managing all of them. Either way, it's the server that executes the code, and the enemies position and behaviour that's synced on the clients.

konstantin_lozev likes this.
  19. konstantin_lozev

konstantin_lozev

Yes, thanks, got it now, my project is somewhat of an asynchronous co-op, that's why all the wondering, but I got what I asked for, thanks, again :)

20. VitorMS

VitorMS

Hi Adam, I was following the generic modal window tutorials and I made a dialogue for my game, it is working pretty well but when I try to add a name string in the function it messes everything up. I'm pretty sure the problem is the modal static reference thing wich you say you covered already in another tutorial but I can't find in wich tutorial you covered it so I didnt understand that part at all. I have no idea how the script recognize the buttons and the strings, for me it's like magic. Ok please tell me where can I watch that class and maybe you can help a bit? Here's my code:

//No options, just continue
    public void NoChoice(string question, string namePerson, UnityAction yesEvent)
    {
    modalPanelObject.SetActive(true);

yesButton.onClick.RemoveAllListeners();
    yesButton.onClick.AddListener(yesEvent);
    yesButton.onClick.AddListener(ClosePanel);

this.question.text = question;
    this.namePerson.text = namePerson;

this.question.gameObject.SetActive(true);
    this.namePerson.gameObject.SetActive(true);
    yesButton.gameObject.SetActive(true);
    noButton.gameObject.SetActive(false);
    cancelButton.gameObject.SetActive(false);
    this.iconImage.gameObject.SetActive(false);
    }

Unity says the problem is in the "this.namePerson.text = namePerson;" line, that it cannot find the object it is refering too.. I tryed everything I know already to fix that but it's not much. Any way to make this work? Also I need to make a pause menu and I was thinking to make a new panel and a new script to it but how will the scripts recognize wich panel is wich?

Thanks for you time and thanks for the tutorials. I'm happy to find live-tutorials page, it has many good tutorials I will be watch many of them this year.

21. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

A few things:

First: PLEASE use code tags when posting code on the forums!

There are 3 sessions on making a modal window, each building on the last. For the most complete experience, you should watch all 3.

Can you post the actual error for this line? Could it be that you are passing *IN* a null string value of some sore?

22. Hormic

Hormic

Hi Adam,
    There are so many tuts about every single aspect of unity here, which is great, but i haven't found much about the bigger picture, like structuring a real game, which is usually more then a single scene.
    There is this tut -> persistent data - saving and loading data but its version 4.3 and so i don't know if it's useful any longer, cause there is the new SceneManager Api now.

So i would love to see a proper tutorial about loading and unloading scenes during runtime and how to deal with data during scenechanges.
    Also a actual little real game example would be very useful to examine, with Menuhandling, Data and scenehandling in the most proper way. Maybe there is one somewhere which i haven't found and which you can recommend.

Thank you very much!!

23. Mike-Geig

Mike-Geig

Unity Technologies

This gets brought up a lot. Structuring of a "real game" is a very difficult thing to portray because it is different for every team and depends largely on their skills, the game, and the goals of the end product.

That being said, maybe something can be done on multi-scene editing or the new SceneManager system. Just remember though, when it comes to higher level demonstrations, what is great for one person is generally of little value for everyone else.

24. Hormic

Hormic

Thank you, yes i see.
    Maybe as you mentioned a Multi-Scene Tutorial with additional hints about storing data and Gameobjects during complete scene-switches would be great.

25. NintendoMaster00

NintendoMaster00

26. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

We must apologize for the fact that we've had to re-schedule (or in this case DE-schedule) Matt's live training session. There was a conflict of schedule and other issues that were conspiring against us. We needed Matt's time on some other more pressing issues. We will let you know as soon as possible if and when it gets reschedule. We don't have it on the books yet. Sorry!

Hormic likes this.
  27. Matthew-Schell

Matthew-Schell

Hormic likes this.
  28. NintendoMaster00

NintendoMaster00

Thanks for the letting us know :)

29. xoxoroxo

xoxoroxo

Hey Adam!

I looked into unity script library and it turns out that 'public Vector2 mainTextureOffset;' is the same as using GetTextureOffset or SetTextureOffset with "_MainTex" name. Link: http://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Material-mainTextureOffset.html

So I did the same thing as you did using this method and it works just fine. And my offset turns back to 0 even without OnDisable function and it works every time I start the game. Can you please have a look and tell if this is correct or is it just a particular case and I'm just lucky? Please, could you have a look at the comment in the code as well. It contains some thing that was bugging me for a while.

Many thanks!

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using System.Collections;
    4. public class OffsetScroller : MonoBehaviour {
    6.     public float scrollSpeed;
    7.     private Vector2 savedOffset;
    8.     private Renderer rend;
    10.     void Start () {
    11.         rend = GetComponent<Renderer> ();
    12.         savedOffset = rend.material.mainTextureOffset;
    13.     }
    15.     void Update () {
    17.         float y = Time.time * scrollSpeed;
    18.         //this is just to remind myself that it can be done two ways
    19.         //btw is any of the methods better then the other?
    20.         //Vector2 offset = new Vector2 (savedOffset.x, y);
    21.         //rend.material.mainTextureOffset = offset;
    22.         rend.material.mainTextureOffset = new Vector2 (savedOffset.x, y);
    23.     }
    25.     void OnDisable() {
    26.         rend.sharedMaterial.SetTextureOffset ("_MainTex", savedOffset);
    27.     }
    28. }

30. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

I'm not sure I understand the question. You're setting rend.sharedMaterial.SetTextureOffset to a Vector2 in either case. Offset is a Vector2, and new Vector2 (savedOffset.x, y) is a Vector2. What am I missing?

31. xoxoroxo

xoxoroxo

I forgot to mention that this code is a variation of your code from the Scrolling Backgrounds 2D tutorial https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials...chive/2d-scrolling-backgrounds?playlist=17093

Here's the code I had in mind:

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    4. public class OffsetScroller : MonoBehaviour {
    6.     public float scrollSpeed;
    7.     private Vector2 savedOffset;
    9.     void Start () {
    10.         savedOffset = renderer.sharedMaterial.GetTextureOffset ("_MainTex");
    11.     }
    13.     void Update () {
    14.         float y = Mathf.Repeat (Time.time * scrollSpeed, 1);
    15.         Vector2 offset = new Vector2 (savedOffset.x, y);
    16.         renderer.sharedMaterial.SetTextureOffset ("_MainTex", offset);
    17.     }
    19.     void OnDisable () {
    20.         renderer.sharedMaterial.SetTextureOffset ("_MainTex", savedOffset);
    21.     }
    22. }
    And so I achieved the same with this code:

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    3. public class OffsetScroller : MonoBehaviour {
    4.     public float scrollSpeed;
    5.     private Vector2 savedOffset;
    6.     private Renderer rend;
    7.     void Start () {
    8.         rend = GetComponent<Renderer> ();
    9.         savedOffset = rend.material.mainTextureOffset;
    10.     }
    11.     void Update () {
    12.         float y = Time.time * scrollSpeed;
    13.         //this is just to remind myself that it can be done two ways
    14.         //btw is any of the methods better then the other?
    15.         //Vector2 offset = new Vector2 (savedOffset.x, y);
    16.         //rend.material.mainTextureOffset = offset;
    17.         rend.material.mainTextureOffset = new Vector2 (savedOffset.x, y);
    18.     }
    19.     //with or without this bit the offset comes back to 0 after I quit the game
    20.     //void OnDisable() {
    21.     //   savedOffset = rend.material.mainTextureOffset;
    22.     //}
    23. }
    And my question is if this is correct? Because it's working in this case but I found out that making similar changes to your StripScroller code doesn't give the same output. I hope it's clearer now. If not let me know.

32. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

I'd have to look into this more deeply, but if you wanted to do some fact checking, look into the difference between renderer.material and renderer.sharedMaterial. They are different and can have an affect on your game.

I'm unclear if there is any practical difference between setting setting the main texture offset by value or by function... if they both work, they work! You could profile this, if you were worried.

If you don't use Mathf.repeat, then you'll eventually have a huge big number that keeps growing to infinity and could cause floating point issues, iirc.

33. Foo-Byte

Foo-Byte

I would LOVE something like this. It's great to see the one-scene projects to demonstrate a piece of Unity, but I still don't feel like I know how to make a game flow properly. That is, going from the title screen to level 1, level 2, etc and then game over. I know I can set objects to not destroy on load, I can load scenes additively, and so on, but putting it all together is vague. Even if you just took the Survival Shooter and put a title screen on it, made a few levels that require X kills to advance, and a Game Over splash. Maybe a pause menu.

Hormic likes this.
  34. djdomain

djdomain

Are suggestions for possible Live Training courses still welcome?

I'd like to learn more about AI, firstly would be bots like in Quake 3, where they can traverse a 3D platforming environment, aim at specific targets (and with an accuracy modifier, so a certain number of shots would be around where they're aiming rather than hitting every time), and something like a priority list where they would shoot at the player if spotted, but first they'd move to pick up bigger guns/armour then if they had those or if they weren't spawned they'd actively chase the player. It could be an addition to the Merry Fragmas Multiplayer FPS, 3.0?

Secondly would be NPC civilians like the ones in citybuilding games or management sims, that work on specific tasks until their job is done or they have to satisfy a need, some level of control can be given such as assigning them to a different job or to undertake training but they're pretty much autonomous. Depending on the game they're known as peeps, sims, or the citizen of Tropico! Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be any relevant tutorials when searching, or I'm not using the relevant terms.

Would these be possible for Live Training, or would they be too complex for the current level of learning?

35. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

These subjects may be too complex for a live training. Also, AI solutions have a tendency to be strongly related to the specific project or game. It's a bit hard to genericize. We do have some vague plans to talk about AI and State Machines, but this will be much more basic than this description.

You may want to start looking into these subjects on your own. They are not Unity specific, but GameDev in general. I'd suggest starting at AIGameDev.com and also by searching the Unity Forum and Unity Answers sites.

36. KoRnZYSIEK

KoRnZYSIEK

Hi,
    Hope I'm not doubling some other post from before :). I wanted to watch again the tutorial on creating scrolling menus at runtime, from UI tools:
    https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials...ating-scroll-lists-at-run-time?playlist=17111
    Unfortunatelly it's "forbiden" for access. I also tried to search for it on youtube, but it's not there either (or it's marked as private). Is this behaviour intended? If not please fix it.

37. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Sadly, that lesson is now obsolete and can be misleading. There are now new solutions to this issue, and a new UI Component for making scroll lists. We will replace this lesson as soon as possible. For now, I'd look at the new Scroll View UI Element.

38. ummu_ifa

ummu_ifa

Hello, unity newbie here.
    How about live training to make a 'diner dash' style game, in 2D? Because it's a popular game and I don't find any tutorial to make diner dash-like game, and I really want to make that kind of game :)

39. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Good suggestion! We usually don't go that far in-depth, as the details behind making a game like that are very deep.

If this is the game that you want to make, I'd suggest that you break down the game into sample pieces and then start trying to find training material on each piece. The User Interface, Sprite Animation, Interaction...etc, and then build towards that final game.

40. Shawn855

Shawn855

Does anyone know what happened to the live training video for October 14 2013? On youtube, the video is marked private (
    ) and it's simply missing on the Unity live training web page (http://unity3d.com/learn/live-training). It's a video about introduction to sculpting by the way.

41. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Sculpting? Can you be more clear? FWIW: if a video has been removed, the content was obsolete and may be due to be replaced.

42. Shawn855

Shawn855

Well on the live training video page, there's a video posted every week. So the missing video would have been on October 14th. But instead it just lists the videos October 7, and then October 21. In the video posted October 7 he speaks about materials and textures and shading. Then in the video for October 21, he mentions that in his last video, he taught how to do environment sculpting. I remember watching it last year and am wondering why it's missing since I'd like to recap by watching all of the videos in order without skipping any videos and therefore missing an hour's worth of useful information.

43. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Ah *terrain* sculpting. Yes that makes sense. We don't have any lessons on modelling and sculpting, per se; but we did have a session on terrain editing, but there were some issues with that session and it's a bit stale now. We have plans to replace that session in the future.

Shawn855 likes this.
  44. krippulo

krippulo

Scriptable objects & Serialization vs SQlite.

I'm working on an Android game. Nothing special, but it will have many different levels.
    Apart from other information, I want to store persistent data about those levels:
    - Level number
    - Locked/unlocked
    - Number of enemies
    - Time to complete level
    - Time remainig after completion (*)
    - Partial score (*)
    - Enemies killed (*)
    Most of these data will be created at build time, but some of them (those with the asterisk) should be modified at runtime everytime the corresponding level is played.

At the moment I'm considering using SQLite (I've used it with other Android apps and works quite well).
    Anyway, I've recently watched some tutorials/ live trainig sessions about data persistence + serialization + scriptable objects.

I wonder if I could achieve the desired functionality using serialization+scriptableObjects, specially in relation to runtime modifications. In that case, what about performance? Which of those options (SQLite vs Serial+ScripObj) is best?

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

45. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

At this point, as far as I know, outside of the editor, you cannot modify and save data to a scriptable object. Scriptable objects are great for editor tools and for storing persistent data for your game. For saving things like mutable player data, scores, changeable values etc, you will need to save your data to another format, such as json.

46. krippulo

krippulo

Hi, Adam.
    Thanks for your clarification. Let me abuse of your knowledge and ask you something more.
    So, for what I've seen here (http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/JSONSerialization.html), I could use a diferent JSON file for each level and:
    1.- Retrieve data from one JSON file to an instance of my class "GameLevel
    2.- Modify the members of the class that I need to modify
    3.- Convert again the instance into a JSON file (overwriting the original one)
    and all this on demand at runtime (for instance, at the beggining and end of a level), and without worrying about the structure of the JSON file because I only would need to deal with my class "GameLevel".
    Is that right?
    If yes, which is the maximum length for JASON strings? Is like any other string?

On the other hand, I've made some minor tests with a sqlite library from here (http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/sqlite4unity3d-free-sqlite-plugin-with-sqlite-net-support.273280/) and it seems to work right, at least with android. Do you have any opinion about it?

Many many thanks for your time, and congratulations for the great job that you and the whole unity team are doing.
    Sorry for my english. It is not my mother tongue.
    Regards.

47. Hormic

Hormic

Hi Adam, or another unity pro...

I have one question regarding terrains,

1. Is it possible to have emissive textures on terrains?
    2. Is it somehow possible to have offset scrolling terrain textures?
    with "SetTextureOffest" like you did it in your video about the scrolling backgrounds.

Please just tell me if this is somehow possible with unity or not?
    If not maybe then maybe i can use a terrain -> mesh converter.

48. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

You should really work out what's best for you. If you're worried, you can profile the performance. If it were me, read-only data would be in an SO, and changeable saved-data would be a file.

49. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

This sounds like you want to make lava. I'd suggest a separate piece of geometry and a separate shader.

This being said - this is not the appropriate place to ask this question, as it's not related to live training. Can you move any more of this conversation to an appropriate section?

Hormic likes this.
  50. krippulo

krippulo

@Adam Buckner

Thanks, Adam.
    I think I will spend some time on performance checks and, depending on the results I will decide on JSon or SQLite.
    Regards.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.