Search Unity

Free Live Online Training from Unity Technologies

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by Adam-Buckner, Oct 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rckkk

rckkk

Hello, please help me with an issue that i'm having on the SpaceShooter tutorial when i'm creating the restart button i'm doing just the same as the video lessons, when you get the RestartButton and put the game controller on the button script area on the video you get some options on the side and you get the Done_GameController.RestartGame and at mine isn't show that just appear the option to put a Mono Script > string name and then when i start the game and crash my spaceship the restart button appear but doesn't work

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  2. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Can you please post this in the space shooter thread? Not the free online training thread? I will answer there.

3. rckkk

rckkk

ok i'm going there ! thank you.

4. Matthew-Schell

Matthew-Schell

Did you watch the live training where I walked through the creation of that asset step by step? It's covered there. Take a look at that and if you have further more specific questions please post them in the thread for Game Jam Template. Thanks!

Archive:
    https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/modules/beginner/live-training-archive/game-jam-template

Thread:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/game-jam-menu-template-q-a.341182/

5. Rodolfo-Rubens

Rodolfo-Rubens

Guys, where can I find the source code InventoryItemEditor from this tutorial:

Can I get it somewhere?
    Thanks!

6. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Sadly, that's not available, but you can reconstruct it starting with the details shown in the video.

7. RajRajRaj

RajRajRaj

hye Adam i m Back Again With Stupid Question :)

in 2d breakout game(break ball game)
    i m trying to add mechinism in paddle like when ball hits left sides of the paddle it bounce ball in the direction which it came from and same as right i m using that script....

what i m doing wrong if u can than tell me else no problem because i know u guys r very busy :)
    thats a humble request
    Code (CSharp):
    1.      void OnCollisionEnter2d(Collision2D other){
    2.         foreach (ContactPoint2D contact in other.contacts) {
    3.             if(contact.collider == GetComponent<Collider2D>()){
    4.                 float english = contact.point.x - transform.position.x;
    5.                 contact.otherCollider.attachedRigidbody.AddForce(new Vector2(200f * english,200f*english));
    6.             }
    8.         }
    9.     }

8. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

RajRajRaj likes this.
  9. SuperSquawk

SuperSquawk

Hi Adam! Just a reminder of my request earlier in this thread (post #404). I was watching the "Creating an in game shop" live tutorial just now and asked about it in the chat there (since having a 3d model in a shop is exactly what I wanted) and a few other people in the chat were also interested. I hope you consider doing a live training session about it! Thanks!!

*edit* @Adam Buckner you just asked me to ping you in the forums from the live session chat. So... PING ;)

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  10. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Good ping! But - I think this deserves a post of its own in the UI section. Can you make one there and post the URL here?

11. RajRajRaj

RajRajRaj

12. Pagego

Pagego

Adam,

I worked through the entire Angry Birds Style Game tutorial and everything works just fine. My only issue is that I am loading my levels through a "Game" prefab, and I can't seem to change the spawn position of the Projectile. I want it to spawn a bit higher on the y-axis, so I edited the Projectile Prefab by updating the location of Projectile prefab and clicked "Apply", but when I start the scene, the Projectile still spawns at it's old original position.

Is there any way to change this through script, or other methods? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

13. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

It's been a long time since I looked at that project. You should be able to find the initial spawn location by looking at the prefab reference on the script that instantiates it and looking at the position parameter. Find the prefab reference name, and then do a search for that name in the script, and you'll find the instantiate line. Instantiate is object, location, position. Modify position.

Let me know how you get on.

14. Pagego

Pagego

Hi Adam,

Thanks for your response. Since the Projectile prefab is actually attached to the catapult, I had to relocate the catapult along with the location of the line renderer.

15. Mohobie

Mohobie

Any idea on when the latest 2 live training's will be available to watch for those who could not attend it live?
    Exploring the Blacksmith Environment
    Setting up a Humanoid Avatar

16. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

When I prep them and upload them.

I need to be whipped with a wet noodle, as I've been too busy to do it.

I'll get to it "soon" (tm)!

Honest!

Mohobie likes this.
  17. ewusr999

ewusr999

Plzzz can any one help me i am creating a 2d game and i want to use angry bird style catapult

i wana know how can i create that a catapult when i move my player on that catapult on that "touch to jump" shows up and my player jumps from that catapul
    "plzzzz help me

18. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Sorry, but I'm unclear what you mean by "Plzzz". I've looked it up in the dictionary, and I can't find an entry.

We have a lesson on making an angry birds-like game:
    http://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/...raining-archive/making-angry-birds-style-game
    http://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/...ing-archive/making-angry-birds-style-game-pt2

If you have any issues with this lesson, please post again!

19. Mohobie

Mohobie

Lol Thank you for all the hard work. As a hobbyist aspiring to do something grand I can appreciate all that you guys are doing.

20. scorp29

scorp29

Hi,

I followed step-by-step the angry birds-like game lesson.
    But I encouter a problem in the 'Resetter' script once the API updater update it.
    (I first thought I did an coding error, but the problem also appear when you try the Example Games, imported from the 2D Pack available on the Asset store)

Basically, once you drag and release the meteor, it resets the scene directly.

I think I know what line cause this problem.
    It would be because of this one in the 'OnTriggerExit2D' function:

Before API update :
    if (other.rigidbody2D == projectile)

After API update:
    if (other.GetComponent<Rigidbody2D>() == projectile)

But I have no clue how to solve this problem.
    I could probably destroy the meteor once this one exceeds a defined X/Y positions, but I would be curious to see if there is still a way to use your method using a BoxCollider2D.

21. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

The API update is not causing the problem. That syntax change is necessary for the code to work with Unity 5. Could there be another cause?

22. kimeleon

kimeleon

Hi

Am trying to do the Using the UI Tools live tutorial, which looks great. The only prob is that I can't get past the first hurdle of downloading the assets for "Nightmares - Unite Training Day 2014". They don't seem to be in the store. Are they no longer available?

Any help greatly appreciated, I'm totally new to this.

23. TinmanTheLandofoz

TinmanTheLandofoz

Why does Adam Buckner take so long to get his live training sessions into the archives? He has one that is a month old today that still isn't in there and one that is two weeks old. Where as, Matt Schell did one two days ago and I woke up this morning with it in the archives.

24. GoesTo11

GoesTo11

The new Matt Schell one, Prototyping with Standard Assets is not working for me.

25. scorp29

scorp29

Hello again,

First, thank for your advice on this problem.

I digged a little more after your advice, and it seems that the function 'OnTriggerExit2D' is triggered directly after you release the projectile.

But if I modify the condionnal statement
    Code (CSharp):
    1. if (other.GetComponent<Rigidbody2D>() == projectile)
    to
    Code (CSharp):
    1. if(other.GetComponent<Rigidbody2D>() == projectile && spring==null)
    , it actually works.

'OnTriggerExit2D' still trigger once you release the projectile; but won't call the reset function until it's triggered a second time, when the projectile actually leave the BoxCollider2D.

Now I have no idea why 'OnTriggerExit2D' is being triggered directly after you launch the projectile huhu

26. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Sadly, I don't either. I would have to re-run this project and see where it fails. Have you rerun the video and doublechecked all of your steps?

27. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Unfortunately, as we are rushing towards the end of this year, there are a huge amount of things that we need to do in our team, and these have kept me from processing and uploading these. I'm sorry that you missed the light training session when we were on twitch, and I expect to have these up by the end of the week.

28. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Can you please give us some more detail? Perhaps @Matthew Schell has more information…

29. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Can you give me more detail as to what the problem is? Is there a link that is broken or not working?

30. GoesTo11

GoesTo11

When I press play on the video, I just get a spinning circle.

31. GoesTo11

GoesTo11

It's working now. I think the link went up before the video was fully uploaded.

32. scorp29

scorp29

I will restart the tutorial from zero, and say you what happend when I back at that part.
    (But it will probably take some days, holidays coming huhu)

Still, thank so far for your point on view on this problem =)

33. kimeleon

kimeleon

Thanks so much for getting back to me, I really appreciate your patience. I think it may have been renamed, so I couldn't find it -- is it now called "Unity 5 Survival Shooter"? I was looking for "Nightmares - Unite Training Day 2014" in the assets store as shown in the tutorial video but hopefully this asset pack is the same. Thanks again.

34. kimeleon

kimeleon

Ah I see in the notes for "Unity 5 Survival Shooter" that it is indeed the pack used for the training day. I guess I didn't know that when starting the tutorial as I just searched for the link that is in the tutorial, sorry to be so basic! Maybe there could be a note on the "Using the UI Tools" page, linking the assets or listing the new name? (to reduce annoying questions like mine)

35. RajRajRaj

RajRajRaj

Hye there

i just developed a game...
    or i should say expanded "Hat Trick"

i dont know whats going wrong...

the official sprites looks same in mobo platform as it looks in PC but sprites that i created looks dull in Mobile devices and looks perfect On PC...

Can u Tell Me Whats difference in official sprites and sprites that i have created...

i created in Png formate...

thank you very much in advance :)

36. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

37. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Heh, I'm hoping to spend some time using Unity for my own selfish purposes this holiday!

38. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Ah - sorry, I didn't know that there was a name change. Is there a link on the lesson page in the Learn section that points to the assets?

39. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

I have updated the page with a link to the project:

8b292509df2db6a70bca8c5cfd5b12cf.png

40. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Check the import settings for the sprites and make sure that the new sprites don't have a special compression or other setting checked when being built for mobile.

41. hypergori

hypergori

Hi, I joined the "Prototyping Standard assets" live training and I really enjoyed it .Thank you .

Then I have created the similar scene and objects with standard assets.
    And I found the explosion prefab keeps making hundreds of error in my console when instantiating it.
    I instantiate it with Activate Trigger script from Utility folder replacing Ethan gameobject.

Does it happen only to me ? Or maybe miss something from the training ?
    Screenshot is attached and I used Unity 5.3.1f1
    Masashi

Attached Files:

42. OldUnityFool

OldUnityFool

The video "Exploring the Blacksmith Environment" seems to be "private".:(

43. RajRajRaj

RajRajRaj

Hello

dont know what happened wrong just update my unity version from 5.0.1 to 5.3.0

and the script started behaving very strangely...

Code (CSharp):
    1.     void OnCollisionEnter2D(Collision2D other)
    2.     {
    3.             Destroy(gameObject);
    4.             Instantiate(GM.instance.shockwave, transform.position, Quaternion.identity);
    5.             GM.instance.DestroyBricks();
    8.     }

in Version 5.0.1
    when ball hits tiles it destroys tiles and bounce back in respective direction but after upgrading to version 5.3.0 ball destroys tiles but not bounce back , ball continue going in its respective direction....

is there is any change in OnCollisionEnter function?

44. OboShape

OboShape

The OnCollisionEnter behaviour hasn't changed that I've heard of, but that would be one that would be in the announcements or Blog posts or upgrate notes.

Can I ask, just to get a context, are you working through Matts block breaker clone?

I'm not quite sure where you are going with the Instantiate line in your code, as the first parameter to that appears to be an already instantiated instance from the GameManager, as opposed to a prefab.

can you elaborate a bit, just to get an idea what your trying to achieve, or whats not doing what it should.

45. SerPineapples

SerPineapples

Hello everyone!

Can we cover on anti-piracy methods in Unity in an upcoming tutorial? I know this is a very uncomfortable topic to cover but I believe it is still a harsh reality most indies face: to have years of blood, sweat, and tears and to have made substantial amounts of personal investment into making a game only to have people playing all your hard work for free. For indies, this loss of potential revenue can be the difference on their ability to pay rent.

EDIT1: I know no game is "uncrackable", but I wish to know ways we can make our games more secure against pirates.

EDIT2: Can you put an emphasis on methods for standalone platforms? :)

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
  46. kimeleon

kimeleon

Thanks Adam!

47. kimeleon

kimeleon

Hi again Adam, thanks for replying to all my super-beginner qs.

I'm at around 51:00 of Live Training 8th September 2014 - Using UI Tools -- all good up until now, but when I play the game, the Pause (cog) Button doesn't do anything. The Pause Button does have the PauseCanvas (PauseManager.pause) script attached, and is set to interactable...Thanks for your patience with such newb Qs.

48. kimeleon

kimeleon

I think I'm the newbiest newb in here. Doing another UI tutorial and once again I can't find the assets that they use in the tutorial. The tutorial is "Creating a Scene Selection Menu" - https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials...-archive/creating-a-scene-menu?playlist=17111
    and it says to search for "sample assets beta" but this doesn't return the right asset package. Anyone know if it's called something else now?

49. Matthew-Schell

Matthew-Schell

Those errors you're getting look like Unity Editor errors, not problems with your project. What version of Unity are you running?

50. Matthew-Schell

Matthew-Schell

You can now access the standard assets from Assets > Import Package in Unity and then choose the package you want. Alternately search for Standard Assets on the Asset Store.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.