Search Unity

Free Kinematic Body - custom character controller

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by marmito, May 1, 2020.

1. marmito

marmito

Hello! I've been reading a lot about character controllers and collision detection & response, ended up making this little project called Kinematic Body. It's just a custom character controller using a Kinematic rigidbody, running inside fixed update with interpolation and so on. I made it to be very similar to the built-in character controller. The kinematic body is able to walk up/down stairs, slopes, detect ground, react to moving obstacles and handle collision even when moving at a high speed. You should also be able to rotate it, it's not axis aligned, but you'll need to code your own ground checking. It's pretty decent IMHO, however there's some small issues, like when you walk against a crease, it will try to move away from it, seems to be related to the collide and slide implementation that I'm using, didn't figured out a way to fix it thought.

Playable webgl demo: itch.io
    Source code: GitHub

2. LenarVakhitov

LenarVakhitov

This is an invaluable find for me!!!

3. trooperer

trooperer

This is awesome, I've been wanting to find out how Unity's CharacterController is implemented. This looks like a great place to start. Thanks!

4. unity_dIXESLolCS_Taw

unity_dIXESLolCS_Taw

Would be very helpful if you could comment the code :)

5. nottakenpliz

nottakenpliz

Hello there,
    Would it be ok if I change the code by adding loads more features to it and sell it on the asset store. If not I won’t. Cheers!

6. Putcho

Putcho

always read LICENSE.txt

MelvMay likes this.
  7. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

No need to necro the thread, the license is right there in the repo that answers your question already.