Search Unity

[Free] Inch by Inch (First-Person Puzzle Platformer)

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by macorig, Apr 22, 2018.

1. macorig

macorig

Screenshots
    screenshot_2.jpg
    screenshot_3.jpg

Trailer

Summary
    Inch by Inch is a first person puzzle platformer, where you play a shrinking scientist trying to create an antidote. Find the formulas and ingredients you need, before you are too small!

Free Download

adur, gamedeveloper0 and theANMATOR2b like this.
  2. DaveMApplegate

DaveMApplegate

I played this for a few minutes today. This is quite a bit of fun and I love the art style.

How long did you guys spend on it?

3. macorig

macorig

Hi, there! Thanks for checking it out! :)

In total we've been working on this project for 2~3 months, now, in our spare time!

4. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Cool concept! I like the originality.
    Developer question. Did you really shrink the player character OR did you increase the size of the environment?
    Either way - it'd be interesting to hear how you went about adjusting physics as the player shrinks.

gamedeveloper0 likes this.
  5. macorig

macorig

Sorry for my delayed answer: The player character is really shrunk and the environment stays completely static!

Our base for the player controller was one of Unity's standard assets. To make it work, we had to add the player's scale factor to a couple of places in its code, most notably any place dealing with movement and forces.

This works just fine for the largest part. The only real exception to this was the jump force, which just didn't scale properly: When you became really small, you could suddenly jump a lot higher than before and air time was significantly longer.
    To fix this, we simply introduced an AnimationCurve to adjust jump strength relative to player scale: This way we could adjust the force used at small sizes and keep the jump height/speed relatively consistent!

theANMATOR2b and gamedeveloper0 like this.
  6. gamedeveloper0

gamedeveloper0

Damn the game was awesome! the concept was interesting was well executed. I love how you randomize things if you restart or play the game again. The atmosphere really works also requires a lot of quick thinking. but after a couple plays you know where most things.

There was one time i was so close had 2 keys in place but i became so short i couldn't take the 3rd one from the microwave. there was also this one time i was waiting for the 3rd key to get made but i forgot to turn the distillator on.

Loved really everything about it. one question though.

is he becoming shorter or is he shrinking?

because from what i felt only his height was decreasing not his width. but with it the decrease in strength seemed kind of drastic, i mean if he is not shrinking his strength should change that much. still pretty well done on the game, it's good to see people still making something beside android games.

7. macorig

macorig

Hey, thanks for checking it out! We're glad you've enjoyed it! :D

And they are definitely shrinking! In the custom settings you can set a minimum height of below 1cm, which would otherwise be a very flat person if their width stayed the same, hehe.

While they're getting smaller, we're also changing the player camera's field of view as well as fog, to increase the sense of scale: This way we wanted it to feel like you're shrinking, rather than just the camera getting closer and closer to the ground – but it's a difficult thing to convey, I suppose!

theANMATOR2b and gamedeveloper0 like this.