Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

► [FREE] GOTO Studio Visual Scripting ◄

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by keely, Sep 14, 2018.

1. keely

keely

GOTO Studio Visual Scripting
    • Created by team of senior ex-Unity employees (gotolabs.io)
    • Key tool to ship commercial games (Horus Station, Prologue)
    • Programmer writes C# to create reusable building blocks: Actions and Comparers
    • Designer uses the building blocks to visually create Sequences and Graphs
    • Optimized for easy extending. You know best how your team works!
    • Currently in public beta

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  2. keely

keely

Some screenshots of how the tool actually works.

DrOcto likes this.
  3. Mark_01

Mark_01

This is free for beta ? Any idea on final pricing ?

4. keely

keely

Beta is free and product will always have free option.

Pricing & terms for commercial use is TBD

DrOcto and Mark_01 like this.
  5. Mark_01

Mark_01

Cool thanks so much

6. neoshaman

neoshaman

A lot of people were questioning why the logic editor was at the bottom of the roadmap ... now we know? :p

Mark_01 likes this.
  7. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

You love drama don't you :p

Mark_01 likes this.
  8. keely

keely

After leaving Unity, all of us worked on game projects. During these projects we discovered that none of the currently available visual scripting tools were a good a fit for what we wanted to do. This tool was born out of that frustration. It helped to ship some games and now we decided to polish it for everyone to use.

9. Mark_01

Mark_01

I really like the idea , free for private , personal use..
    and Pay for commercial use, wonderful idea.

Steve at Arteria3d when he had the promotion on for one year membership use anything
    you want if your playing around or making it for a few friends.. then if* you make a game
    and it makes 2 k then he wanted you to pay for the assets you did use in that game.

I know Unity can not make that kind of deal, but, I liked that idea very much.

Same thing if i used this asset and my game made lots of money, its just me,
    but i would want to give you money for that, since it was making money for me.

Unity for me, I love because of the community.

keely likes this.
  10. hard_code

hard_code

What would you say the main benefits of your tool is over say playmaker or nodecanvas? Or what does it do differently than those packages?

thanks

11. xeleh

xeleh

Good job and my best wishes in advance. I am curious: even if GameFlow was not a good fit, was it somehow a source of inspiration? I ask because the resemblance of your Logic Player sequence concept is striking, but I acknowledge that your logic graphs are a great addition, give your tool a strong personality and will be a great deal for many people.

12. mgear

mgear

discord link expired it seems like?

13. keely

keely

Hmm it works for me? Perhaps temporary glitch?

14. eses

eses

@keely - Yep, it seems to be active...

15. mgear

mgear

i'm getting
    upload_2018-9-17_16-19-30.png
    #shadowbanned

*ok nevermind, had to logout first.. it works now.

16. keely

keely

Some disclaimer first. If you read my earlier post, you might think that we put on our lab coats and spent 6 months evaluating every plugin out there. We did not. How we, and people in general, research tools is just browse some documentation, watch a video and listen to anecdotal evidence like "My cousin met a taxi driver who didn't like plugin X".

So I really don't want to make detailed comparisons between all the spaghetti sauces out there, as it would never be accurate nor fair. If some 3rd party is an expert in all the plugins, then that person is the one you should listen to.

I believe Playmaker has string event based approach to state transition, that is tied to the actions. In our system we have Action and Comparer which are completely separate. We don't use event-based approach, but Comparer is polled for true/false, instead of acting to events immediately. Our variable system also allows connecting straight into properties (think Transform.position), so for example one can write a single tweener and hook it up to any Vector3 out there.

I don't have much mileage with NodeCanvas, but at quick glance it seems to be actually quite close to our design. Both in how the transition is handled and what you can do with variables. One difference in our favor is that we offer a simple Sequence in the scene inspector, without the need for separate editor window and a graph. I'm sure there are many things in their favor as the product seems very polished indeed.

One of us looked at GameFlow at one point in history, but the concept of Logic Player and the sequence was already born at that time. It is very hard to say what influenced what, but I like your product and especially the refreshing way your Asset Store marketing screenshots are setup with a bit of humor :). Good job!

evasiongames and hard_code like this.
  17. keely

keely

New version 0.2.1 released.

Release notes:
    • NEW: Action sequences are interruptible. Action sequence will execute the entire action list on interruption (OnStart/OnFinish calls).
    • NEW: Comparer block now has a flag to allow the node to exit before all actions have completed.
    • NEW: Action now has an OnFinish method called when either SetFinished is called or the action is interrupted.
    • CHANGE: Action Perform method renamed to OnStart.
    • CHANGE: Actions will run immediately after moving to a new graph node - without a one frame delay.
    • CHANGE: Graph editor grid size has changed. Some nodes of existing graphs might be misplaced.
    • FIX: Fix error when selecting a player in the graph editor window.
    • FIX: Fix folding of foldable properties on Actions and Comparers.

Mark_01 likes this.
  18. keely

keely

New version 0.2.2 released.

Release notes:
    • NEW: New special Any node for easy event handling.
    • NEW: New tutorial Cubewalk to demonstrate interruption and Any node.
    • FIX: Node playback visualization works while going through multiple nodes on single frame.

19. keely

keely

StevenPicard likes this.
  20. keely

keely

New version 0.2.3 is released!

Release notes:
    • NEW: Ability to signin with Google account or skip signin for later.
    • FIX: Selecting read-only or write-only property for variable will no longer break.

21. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

@keely would it be possible to add a feature where we can create the building blocks from a graph? basically without touching the C# part?

22. keely

keely

I'm not 100% what the question means. Do you mean:

A) A graph nested inside another graph?
    B) I want to use this without C#?
    C) Something different?

23. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

B. actually. Honestly i don't mind coding manually. just wondering if it's possible to do that without coding at all

24. keely

keely

Ok still not sure about the question, but I'll answer something anyway :D

Our hope is that us and community will eventually make so many actions & comparers that you don't need to use C# if you don't want to. Often in serious projects there is always something custom, so take that with a grain of salt, though.

If that wasn't the question, can you elaborate more on the meaning of "create the building blocks from a graph".

25. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

That is very close actually :D, i'm just wondering if its possible to build a custom actions & comparer from the graph without have to touch the C# side. but it seems at the moment we have to go for C# then if we want a custom actions/Comparer isn't?

26. keely

keely

Yes, for now you have to touch C#. We are doing some research on how a complete graph could be exposed as an action (variation of graph nesting), but this is very early stage.

Reanimate_L likes this.
  27. sh0ou

sh0ou

Is there a Japanese version of this asset?

28. keely

keely

Unfortunately no

29. generalhak

generalhak

hi, this is the best visual scripting asset on the universe :rolleyes:
    please continue to support this and show this to unity for using this one as the new upcoming visual scripting tool in unity.
    its so simple and have action and condition system and an amazing graph state machine
    i actually looked for some visual scripting asset like this for more then 2 years i look every month in asset store just in case something like this came up !:eek: and finally its here ! thanks for the amazing asset :cool:
    for faster grow of this asset you can just add in asset share section so we can share new condition and actions or even the logics
    ps : its forcing me to change unity skin to personal , is it not free ? if its free for just the beta and there is no paid version so don't have to force me to change skin !

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
  30. keely

keely

Thanks!

Good idea!

For add-ons, keep your eye on this repository: https://github.com/gotolabs-io/gotostudio

We haven't decided on the business model or pricing yet. The free option will always remain, though. For now it is locked to light skin for everyone.

generalhak likes this.
  31. generalhak

generalhak

the thing is you don't have another option so you force us to use light skin. please don't ruin this nice asset with bad decisions.
    i really care about this asset. i think its the next big thing in asset store but only if you care about it too .
    thanks

keely likes this.
  32. fbmd

fbmd

I am wondering if this system is still under active development, or if it is abandoned (which would be a shame).
    The 0.2.5 version doesn't run anymore with Unity 2018.3+ and the last answers on Discord regarding this were from February. This at least has a smell of abandoned.

33. fbmd

fbmd

It has the potential to become a big thing, but there are some things that could be improved (while others are ingenious, like the variables as a connection to the scene):

- The (optional) condition/comparers of an ActionSequence are checked each frame (or at least often), so lots of time is wasted. This is no problem with an example like Breakout, but in a complex game with hundreds of ActionsSequences, this will become a burden.

- Therefore, there should be a (ScriptableObject based) simple Game Event System, that can be used to only evaluate the conditions, if a given event is received (observer style). So there are several implicit modes of execution:
    - No Events, No Condition: ActionSequence just starts upon activation of LogicPlayer.
    - No Events, with Condition: Comparers are queried each frame and ActionSequence fires when comparers are all true.
    - With Events, no Condition: ActionSequence is fired when the event is received.
    - With Events, with Condition: Conditions are checked if the event is received, and if all are true, ActionSequence fires.
    This opens possibilities for designers to create their own events and fire them off in Actions, with other ActionsSequences "catching" them. Or Actions in mid-sequence, synchronizing (waiting) for an event.

- Several ActionSequences should be playable in parallel, or e.g. one of them picked randomly (could think of other modes to choose). A GameObject shouldn't need several LogicPlayers to achieve this, but we would need something like an ActionSequenceGroup, that - well - groups several ActionsSequences and defines how they are executed, probably even based on the result of the conditions-query. Could think of optional and mandatory conditions in this context.

- An ActionSequence (or several parallel ones in an ActionsSequenceGroup, like stated above) should be editable as a node graph too since it quickly becomes clumsy and counterintuitive in the inspector. This seems to be in preparation already though and as such you might be working on it already.

- A condition is tightly coupled with an ActionSequence. This feels like it could be more loose by design, so you can re-use certain conditions (groups of comparers) and ActionsSequences independently of each other..

Hope this all makes sense and I think these additions would truly make this a hero asset that no studio can simply overlook.

all the best
    Martin

34. mgear

mgear

saw in the discord that its now deprecated from asset store, and they are looking for options to open source it.

VirtualPierogi likes this.
  35. Alex_Night

Alex_Night

cant find this tool for download, all links are dead.