Search Unity

Free Game Models exclusively for Unity Community

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by darklightstudio, Jan 11, 2007.

1. darklightstudio

darklightstudio

Darklight Studio, Inc. is offering a sample pack of game models to the Unity user community. At this time, the models are as-is but when time permits, I plan to re-issue this free sample pack with texture maps as well as LOD variations of each model.

The pack contains 10 models in fbx format from 2 of my best selling kits of futuristic architecture and space vehicles. The full packs are sold at Turbosquid. The link to Darklight Studio's full catalog is :
    http://www.turbosquid.com/Search/In...&intMediaType=-1&stgBoolean=l&blExternal=TRUE

The package will be available for two weeks at this address :
    http://store.darklightstudio.com/unity/DarklightSamples.zip

Login is required
    Username : unity
    Password : otee0107

As of now, all assets sold can be purchased through Turbosquid until a proper storefront is set up on my own site.

A ReadMe file is enclosed containing usage information.

Brian Gilbert
    Darklight Studio

2. Konstantinos

Konstantinos

thank you for that.

3. zaqarov

zaqarov

mmmm. it doesn't work...

4. darklightstudio

darklightstudio

My hosting provider is currently working on the permissions system it seems.

In the meantime, I've moved the model samples package to : http://unity.darklightstudio.com/downloads/DarklightSamples.zip

I'm also working on the reworks of those models (slowly). I have a ton of work atm and each takes about half a day since I'm reworking the designs as well as adding 3 LOD versions for each and UV/Texturing.

I'm packaging the samples in a Unity-Friendly manner as well.

Here's a preview package of one of the models in the Space Vehicles kit. Included in the package and future FULL packages are texture maps, and a simplified LOD management script.

The package contains a readme file with usage information as well.

http://unity.darklightstudio.com/downloads/SV01Package.zip

Brian Gilbert
    Darklight Studio

5. Jens_T

Jens_T

Thanks a lot for the models, this gives me something to play with until I get around to actually create my own props.

6. AaronC

AaronC

Yeah cheers Brian, sweet treats for Unity users...all good
    AC

7. zaqarov

zaqarov

thanks alot!

8. AaronC

AaronC

Brian-are these Maya8 files? Would be good for all if they were fbx....

And the LOD script-could you explain how that works?

Thanks
    AC

9. darklightstudio

darklightstudio

Yes, they were Maya 8 files. I've modified the package again with the models being in FBX format. In general I hate using Maya at all and model everything in Modo. When I figure out a good workflow in Modo to export FBX and keep sharp edges, etc, I'll be MUCH happier!

The package is in the same place at :
    http://unity.darklightstudio.com/downloads/SV01Package.zip

Also keep in mind it was never my intent for anyone to modify the models themselves. I'm disabled, work at home freelance and a good deal of the money I DO make is from selling 3D assets as well as illustration, etc. The Unity Community is the only group I've started giving 'freebies' to so I'm simply counting on the 'honor system' here. After all, I'm trying to save up for a Unity Pro upgrade. :D

NOW for the LOD script...

The included LOD script is more static than the one I've been experimenting with for my own project. It expects 3 levels of detail assuming they're named LOD0, LOD1, LOD2. The models are placed in a GameObject child called Models simply because it's a good idea to manage graphical representations of objects separately from their behavior and physics. That's why the prefab has the LOD script on that Model 'node' instead of the root node of the object.

Since it is a static system based on 3 levels of detail, it checks for two range values. Range 1 specifies the distance at which to swap between the full res model (LOD0) to LOD1. Range 2 specifies a farther distance at which to switch between LOD1 to LOD2.

It considers the full res version LOD0 as a sort of default. On Update, it checks it's distance from the Main active camera. It then sets a temporary variable based on whether it's distance is greater than Range 1, or even further at Range 2. After the evaluation is made, ONLY THEN does it actually change the corresponding renderer's visibility. If the distance is less than Range 1 (and obviously less than Range 2 since Range 1 should be less), it defaults to LOD0.

I'm hoping to post a similar package today with one of the Futuristic Architecture models as the prefab but it still needs some tweaking.

Brian Gilbert
    Darklight Studio, Inc.

10. NicholasFrancis

NicholasFrancis

Nice work.

You might want to conside hysterisis thresholding for the LODs: when having a fixed distance then if the player is just AT the edge, you can risk seeing it change back and forth.

The solution is to make it so that you change the threshold by a bit depending on which direction you're lod-swapping.

example: if the mesh is LOD1, the object will have to get within 9 meters to become LOD0.
    If the mesh is LOD0, the distance has to become 11 meters to become LOD1.

11. AaronC

AaronC

Great stuff Brian
    I learn from others-and have no intention of mis-using your work, I assure you.

Thanks for a breakdown on you LOD script.

I kinda feel like artists are the brawn round here, and scriptwriters are the brains...You might be able to expand your business offering programming solutions?-I think most of us start out modelling stuff, and dont know how to write scripts...just a thought

Nicholas said:
    Even half life 2 does that...theres some things I've come to accept as "acceptable"...

Cheers Y'all
    AC

12. darklightstudio

darklightstudio

I've released an updated package that also contains one of the Futuristic Architecture models, prepared as a prefab in the same fashion as the Vehicle model in the last package. This time I didn't use Maya at all as an experiment and it turned out just fine in the final FBX. It also contains the layered PSD file for each model as usual. I've also included a GUITexture prefab of my logo for shameless self-promotion. :D

The file is now (and this will be the same from now on I swear!!)
    http://unity.darklightstudio.com/downloads/DarklightStudio.zip

I've also created a dedicated email address for anyone who has technical questions concerning any Unity-based 'thing' of any sort that I release to the community.
    unity@darklightstudio.com

Speaking of Modo, I've also started two sections on the Unify Wiki with some tips for Modo and Photoshop. I'm always experimenting so if I find a better way or that I was just dead WRONG, expect frequent edits to those tips.

At some point unity.darklightstudio.com will be a proper sub-site with all the shared downloads and code or whatever.

Now for my responses to the latest posts :

Targos : I DO both actually. I've always had a dual-brain sort of thing. Actually my brain doesn't really differentiate between art and science/coding. For a long time, my primary business came from web-design. I actually learned the most about programming from Javascript and when Flash became more robust because it gave me a visual stepping stone to SEE what was going on. From that, Java was fairly easy and now I'm learning Cocoa, and OpenGL.

Nicholas : I'll have to experiment with that idea but from what I've seen so far, even with fast moving objects, I don't get much flickering. I expected that from the start, hence my temp variable before any actual change is made. I AM refining that particular script anyway for various reasons. I'll share later versions as I reach a good stage. It's of note to say that I'm also expanding it into a system to manage very large objects such as a 'mothership' etc.

Brian Gilbert
    Darklight Studio, Inc.