Search Unity

[FREE] Dash Animation System - node based animation system for UI

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by petershtif, Apr 21, 2021.

1. petershtif

petershtif

Hi, Dash is an animation system I've been working for some months and I think it is a time to present it here. It has moved to Release Candidate version this week and the 0.3.0RC was released on GitHub as UnityPackage. Release on Asset Store is planned for later stage. I

At this stage it is completely FREE with full SOURCECODE and any feedback is welcome. I am always open for discussion what people struggle with when it comes down to UI animations and offloading this work to less technical people which this system tries to address.

Dash Animation System for Unity is a system that was designed to make animation editing more approachable and user friendly. It offers solution to commonly encountered problems like visual editing and prototyping of programmatic animations called tweens. Combining tween and statically authored timeline animations. Sequencing, altering and retargeting of statically authored animations and much more.

Introduction Videos

Prerequisities
    • Unity 2019.4 LTS + (It may work on older versions but there are no guarantees and support.)
    • NET 4.X API Compatibility Level
    3rd Party Libraries
    List of free 3rd Party libraries used and included in the project
    • Odin Serializer
    • NCalc
    Currently all these dependencies are included so if you are using one or more of them you need to handle the duplicity manually. I will address this problem in later releases.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
    firstuser, Mark_01 and vorokoi like this.
  2. petershtif

petershtif

UPDATE 0.4.0 Release Candidate 2

Dash Animation System is now oficially out of beta and we are pushing towards first final release. There is currently 2nd release candidate out as it went some major changes.

The biggest change was that I removed DoTween completely so Dash no longer uses any parts of DoTween and has its own custom tween implementation as there were multiple issues and major limitations with using DoTween.

Another major change is that Dash is now available as a package so you can install it directly from package manager instead of importing it into your project. All the info is in the readme installation instructions.

Today or during weekend I will also release a quick hot fix 0.4.1 version that will include all the aggregated bugs from 0.4.0 mainly in animation due to the major change to own tween implementation. So if you guys encounter anything report right away.

And finally I also released a new video/tutorial so enjoy.

3. petershtif

petershtif

UPDATEs 0.4.X

I am working on this release cycle fully to fix major bugs and reports from you guys.

Just wanted to say that for those that use it in builds the Update 0.4.4 which was released today solves the AOT problems for reflection references of types that are only referenced by Dash. The new Tools->Dash->AOT editor will scan your project for Dash referenced types and let you explicitly defined types you want as well. Then you can generate a DashAOTAssembly.dll which will then be preserved by linker using the Unity's link.xml.

Any feedback on this feature is welcome as well as bug reports.

Video on Debugging and AOT was also released.

4. petershtif

petershtif

UPDATEs 0.5.X

Hi guys, it has been time of holidays and the summer but still there were couple of updates of Dash released this past weeks. There was a major issue in update due to reserialization so a lot of effort was done on the question of potential future updates to Node models and their serialized data.

Anyway at the same time people that use Dash are increasing and I am glad for all the feedback I am getting. If you are using it in any project either a prototype or full blown production let me know it always cheers me up.

We do use it in our internal projects more and more there were also Hackathon happening where Dash was utilized and this always pushes the framework to be better and better. You know the adage "everything looks good on paper" is always true in development but once you start using it you get the overall feel for not just API and its features but UX and stability in strangest of scenarios.

There is also one more video about a new features that I just come up with exactly after a specific usecase in a Hackathon game. Feel free to check it out:

DUE TO HARDWARE FAILURE OLDER VERSIONS OF THE FRAMEWORK ARE NOT AVAILABLE ON THE PACKAGE SERVER.

If you want a specific older package let me know, or just grab it from github. Thanks again, and looking for any feedback as usual.

5. petershtif

petershtif

UPDATEs 0.5.4

Hi guys, still in 0.5.X phase but with a ton of new updates from UI/UX perspective to performance and overall features as well. I am thankful for all the feedback and glad to announce one of the new features that came from feedback and hopefully will change how people implement more complex UI interactions called Event Sequencing.

Video on Event Sequencing:

Video on general new features: