Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[FREE!] Camera Tool v1.1 - Gain direct control in Unity Game View

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by s7, Oct 18, 2014.

1. s7

s7

Gain direct control over your cameras without leaving Unity Game Viewport.

Fly around your scene with just a press of a hotkey. A must have for those using multiple displays. Both game and editor cameras can be linked, positioned, and aligned suiting your editing preferences.

Features:
    • Navigate editor and game cameras directly inside game or scene view
    • Works while the editor is playing or stopped
    • Activates with a hotkey
    • Supports two game cameras with separate settings for position and rotation
    • Keep your defaults in place. Save and restore camera origin as required
    • Plays well with multiple scene views such as “4 split” editor layout
    • Supports orthographic camera mode

GET YOUR CAMERA TOOL COPY!
    Its free.

CameraTool version 1.1 change list (Unity 5.4b25 tested):
    -Fixed a startup issue, where script did not run properly on the editor restart, or after the game has been stopped
    -Added a main menu section for CameraTool
    -Added an auto setup feature using existing scene cameras. The default activation hotkey is set to 'C'
    -The on screen label has been updated with the more informative text and layout

-----
    BE THE FIRST TO KNOW WHATS COMING
    Swing by our forum and help us build the community! We also highly encourage you to subscribe to our mailing list for the latest updates and the development progress straight from the farthest corners of the galaxy!

REACH US OUT

Found a bug?

Please submit a case in the Bug Report thread, and we will squash the bug away!
    Want to share your thoughts?
    We sincerely appreciate your time to give us comments and ideas. There are always things that we could do better. Please share them in the Feedback and Suggestions thread.

Have a question or need help?
    For a non-urgent matter, please submit in the Technical Support thread. You can also use our Contact Form to communicate to us directly. We'll give you a prompt a thorough response.​

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  2. s7

s7

3. s7

s7

Bump: Improved with better and clear description. Camera Tool Asset Store page should now be linked with this thread.

Requesting user feedback and feature suggestions for the next update.

4. sicga123

sicga123

Just grabbed a copy. Looks exactly what I need.

5. s7

s7

Giving away Camera Tool copy for today!
    Voucher code: Redeemed. Stay tuned for more!
    To redeem this code go to Asset Store - User Account page - Redeem Voucher. New voucher code will be posted soon. Be the first one to grab your free copy!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
  6. s7

s7

Another Camera Tool copy!
    Voucher code: Redeemed. Stay tuned for more!
    To redeem this code go to Asset Store - User Account page - Redeem Voucher. New voucher code will be posted soon. Be the first one to grab your free copy!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
  7. s7

s7

Giving away last Camera Tool copy!
    Voucher code: Redeemed.
    To redeem this code go to Asset Store - User Account page - Redeem Voucher.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  8. Thoreandon

Thoreandon

Hey, thanks a lot, i will write a review as soon as i tested it

9. s7

s7

Congratulations to you and two other winners! Hope you enjoy using the tool and would be glad to hear your feedback or any suggestions. :)

10. OnePxl

OnePxl

I can't add F3DCameraTool to any object, Unity 4.6.0b20 says: "Can't Add Script - The script is an editor script."

11. s7

s7

Hey it seems like you trying to add an editor script from the editor folder. This asset currently works with 4.6.0f3 and 4.5.5. Try adding Camera Tool using Add Component using inspector tab. Please attach some screenshots (including detailed console output) because that would help me to identify the problem and providing more details describing what you did to reproduce this on my side would be great. Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  12. OnePxl

OnePxl

I tried to add it with Add Component first, but it would not find anything named "f3d" or anything remotely similar. I'll post screenshots in a minute, thanks.

13. s7

s7

Try typing "camera tool" in search field. Anyway theres only two scripts under Assets/Forge3d/Camera Tool and you need one without "editor" in the end. You can drag and drop it on your camera or any other game object in the scene. Let me know if that helps

14. OnePxl

OnePxl

That's what I was doing. I managed to get it working by dragging the FORGE3D folder into the Assets/Plugins folder, then it registered correctly. Add Component works now too.

15. s7

s7

Thats very interesting. Seems like its beta build that might be leading to this problem. Unfortunately I cannot downgrade to your version to test this but I will check the asset by using the asset store version of packaging with a freshly created project. Thanks for your feedback.

16. OnePxl

OnePxl

I also upgraded to 4.6.1, since I've been meaning to do that anyway… ( ツ)b

17. s7

s7

That's great :) Let me know if you still encounter this issue with 4.6.1. Thanks!

18. s7

s7

Camera Tool is Unity 4.6 and 5.0 ready!
    Grab your copy!

19. s7

s7

Awesome news about Unity 5 going free! Huge thanks to Unity Team for all the unlocked features!

How do you feel about trying Camera Tool with this free key?
    *KEY REDEEMED*​

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  20. s7

s7

21. OnePxl

OnePxl

Dude, why?

22. DizzyTornado

DizzyTornado

Just curious, are the models of the ship and asteroids available on the Asset Store, or are they custom-made?

23. s7

s7

I'm sure you will find lots of nice ships and asteroids on the Asset Store ;)

24. DizzyTornado

DizzyTornado

25. sirio21

sirio21

HI! Great tool; just feedback. Camera Tool is not compatible with PlayModePersist (and vice). When Camera Tool script is active PlayModePersist asset tool not work. A good feature is to lock an axis and/or FOV perspective; in order to move into x and y but "seeing" what we look when game is running. Just my wish list!

26. s7

s7

Hey sirio21,

Thank you for your feedback! I haven't seen alrets in this thread since ages due to the recent forum updates. I have also checked on the PlayModePersist but it's been removed from the store unfortunately.

I have saved your features request for the next update. We will look into that soon!

Cheers,
    Alex

27. s7

s7

Hello everyone,

We have fixed our tools before doing something awesome...

CameraTool version 1.1 change list (Unity 5.4b25 tested):
    -Fixed a startup issue, where script did not run properly on the editor restart, or after the game has been stopped.
    -Added a main menu section for CameraTool.
    -Added an auto setup feature using existing scene cameras. The default activation hotkey is set to 'C'.
    -The on screen label has been updated with the more informative text and layout.

Update status: The asset is currently under the review.

Hope you enjoy!
    -Alex

sjm-tech and hopeful like this.
  28. s7

s7

Hey, just writting to let everyone know, that we've updated our little tool, and now it has been accepted in the Unity Asset Store.

You can download it here: 'Camera Tool - 1.1' Download it for free!

We are open to your feedback and it's always been important to us, even for this free little piece. So make sure to get in touch if you have an idea, that you might think will improve CameraTool or any Forge3D asset.

Have fun!

Cheers,
    Alex

29. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Its a nice tool, thanks!

30. s7

s7

Thread cleanup and a bump!

31. MCYCShadow

MCYCShadow

Hey, first of nice tool.

It helps me a lot in my workflow for animation videos. Since It is similar to how i made videos within TrackMania for over 10 years.

I have some suggestions which would be nice to add or fix in order to close some gaps the tool still has.

1. Camera Tilting: It would be nice to be able to tilt the camera when holding Shift+RMB what gets changed is the Z axis of the camera :)
    2. When using the tool with Timeline/Animator it doesnt preserve the position I placed it. What i have to do for each keyframe i want to place is to rightclick the transform node of the camera, copy world position and then disable the mode and paste the world position back in to get the correct keyframe.
    It would be very nice of you to look into that and see if you can fix this so that it actually takes the position I placed it while enabled.

The next 2 are some minor additions and totaly just UX improvements.
    3. FOV control, instead of using the slider in the component it would be nice to control the FOV with the mouse wheel, basically zoom in zoom out.
    4. Additionally to that changing the speed of the camera fly would be nice to have on -/+

Maybe you have yet never thought of the possibility to use this plugin for camera animations, but i can assure you it is the easiest way to set up paths when you see what you get. And with this fly control plugin it is way better then moving the cam around in the scene view.

So if you would like to have a chat with me about a possible reuse of this plugin and adding some more features to it so it can be focused on creating camera animations, I would always be happy to talk to you about it.

Cheers

32. s7

s7

Hey, Thanks for all the positive feedback and your suggestions on the tool. Unfortunately, I abandoned its development a while ago, although I'm both happy and surprised it works after all years and API changes between Unity versions, but most of all I'm happy to hear its found its use in your project :)

33. MCYCShadow

MCYCShadow

Thats sad to hear, would you be ok with it if I ask a friend to take a look at it and rework the plugin on our side. Maybe rereleasing it as a new plugin specificly for animating cameras?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2021
  34. hopeful

hopeful

Alternatively, you might feed the changes in code back to @s7, and he could update his code.

35. s7

s7

Sure the source code is all there so go ahead and feel free to modify it, and like @hopeful said, I will look into updating the code and the asset.