Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Free Assets for Commercial usage

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LauraHetzel, Mar 24, 2021.

1. LauraHetzel

LauraHetzel

Hi everyone,
    im a student and I would like to use free assets to develop a game for commercial usage. (Project in collaboration with a company that wants to use the game for marketing purpose)

I found a couple of forum posts on the topic, but it is not clear to me whether I can safely use assets with the following license:
    License agreement: Standard Unity Asset Store EULA
    License type: Extension asset

How can I tell whether I can use the assets? does this have to be explicitly described in the asset store?

2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

The actual license is here:
    https://unity3d.com/legal/as_terms

Here is the most relevant parts:
    The vast majority of assets on the Unity Assets Store fall under 2.2.1 Non-Restricted Assets. All those can be included in your projects for commercial use. The only assets which cannot, will fall under 2.2.2, and will clearly say so. They are rare, but as far as free assets for non-commercial use only, you'll occasionally see a free version of a pay for asset with this restriction. Unity occasionally creates rather elaborate tech demo projects, and then releases the assets for them, and often those assets are restricted to non-commercial use as well. Other than that, 99.99%+ of assets on the store fall into the 2.2.1 Non-Restricted Assets category, so don't worry about it. Just pay attention on the asset store page if it says something about such a restriction.

Good luck with your projects