Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Free][Android] Turboprop Flight Simulator - Airbus A400M

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by AxPetre, Apr 20, 2017.

1. AxPetre

AxPetre

A FUN FLIGHT SIMULATOR FEATURING MASSIVE MILITARY CARGO AIRPLANES

"Turboprop Flight Simulator" is a new flight simulator game, which puts you in control of large military transport airplanes derived from the state-of-the-art Airbus A400M tactical airlifter.

FEATURES:

* C-400 tactical cargo turboprop aircraft.
    * HC-400 coastguard airplane variant.
    * 3 training missions.
    * 20 varied missions (+12 more in a future update).
    * Free-flight.
    * Realistic physics.
    * Complete controls (including rudder, landing gear, thrust reversers, auto-brakes and flaps).
    * Mutliple control options (including mixed tilt & joystick).
    * Multiple cameras (including COCKPIT view).
    * Varied time-of-day scenarios.
    * Ability to explore the inside of the airplane in-person (in some levels).
    * Ability to interact with various airplane items (doors, cargo ramp, main light and strobe lights).
    * NO MANDATORY ADS! Only optional ads that you get rewarded for watching.

Google Play Store link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.AXgamesoft.TurbopropFS

Screen07.jpg

Screen02.jpg

Screen05.jpg

Screen01.jpg

bulutp likes this.
  2. bulutp

bulutp

I downloaded it and I am enjoying it. It is a great simulator; very realistic. I managed to take it off once today and I was almost going to shout 'Yeeeeees, I did it!'
    It is incredible to get it free and there is even no random ad. Hope you get for the work you have put in it. Two questions if you don't mind:
    1. How did you manage to make such a complicated app less than 40M?
    2. Are you planning an iOS version as well?
    Cheers!

AxPetre likes this.
  3. AxPetre

AxPetre

Thank you very much, bulutp.

By being very frugal with the models sizes and especially the resolutions for the textures: almost all the UI is in one texture, all the buildings and structures are in one texture, and there are relatively few different materials and shaders overall.

Yes, but much later. I want to consolidate on Android first and to make plenty of improvements before moving to iOS.

bulutp likes this.
  4. GhulamJewel

GhulamJewel

I wanted to make a flight sim. What terrain tool you used? Or is it just a small island that you can travel around in few seconds?

5. AxPetre

AxPetre

I used TerrainComposer by placing individual heightmaps of mountains in the desired locations and then generating the entire island based on those. I obtained the individual heightmaps of mountains by extracting them from some old assets I had around, then processed them in Photoshop to isolate the desired mountain features, then saved them into raw format with 16 bits per pixel, before finally using them in TerrainComposer.

The island is about 24x24 kilometers, so it takes a while to traverse it even at about 800 km/h.

bulutp likes this.
  6. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Although I agree this sim does look pretty fun - it doesn't look realistic at all. Very few if any cargo planes are that maneuverable in air. But I think @AxPetre has made some good design decisions to make the game more 'fun' and less realistic. The controls look very smooth and HUD is well done.
    Overall - nice looking presentation. Gonna check it out.

bulutp and AxPetre like this.
  7. AxPetre

AxPetre

Well, the Airbus A400M is pretty maneuverable especially for a cargo. But, it's true, is not as maneuverable as I made it to be (because this is a game and FUN > REALISM, as you correctly noted). The name "SIMULATOR" is there to help people find it, but a more accurate name would be "FUN FLIGHT GAME WITH REALISM FEEL TO IT", however this is a mouthful and exceeds the 30 characters limit in the title on Google Play, so the next best title is "FLIGHT SIMULATOR".

Thank you.

theANMATOR2b and bulutp like this.
  8. bulutp

bulutp

Well, I think how much realistic it is also depends on how much you know about the subject. For example, Guitar Hero may look realistic to some people who don't know much about guitar but wouldn't be realistic at all to a classical guitar player. In that sense, I admit that I don't know much about airplanes but it is very realistic for me :)

@AxPetre; there is something I can't do though. I am not sure whether it is a valid case or not but let me ask you: I fly the plane upward as much as I can untill it stalls. When it is dropping, I try to get control again but I can't. Or slightly differently; I go quite high and then set throttle to 0. After the plane starts to drop, I set throttle to 100 again and try to fly it but I can't stop the crash.

Cheers

9. AxPetre

AxPetre

@bulutp About the stall, either of these two things can cause the aircraft to stall:
    1. Speed below a certain critical limit (180 km/h or 112 mph for this aircraft type).
    2. The speed's vector direction deviated too much from the forward orientation of the plane.
    So, when you fly upward, eventually the speed drops below that limit, and it keeps on dropping until the speed vector begins pointing down. But if you don't also point the aircraft's nose down, then it will end up falling on its back or in an awkard position, while still being in a state of stall, despite moving at very high speeds.

So, for an effective stall recovery from an upward position like you put it, you need to do the following:
    - Fly at high altitude (over 2000 meters or 7000 ft above ground, because you're gonna lose a lot of that ground clearence during the fall).
    - When you enter the stall, you need to wait until the speed gets larger than +/- 180 km/h, because if the speed is below that, then you don't have much control at all and the aircraft simply won't respond to your inputs.
    - Eventually, as the aircraft falls, it will reach a high enough speed so as begin responding to inputs and to give you the ability to change its orientation.
    - Once you can change its orientation, you'll have to point the aircraft down until that green vector icon is in front of you (because is not enough that you reach a high speed during the fall, that speed must also be oriented in the forward direction relative to the airplane's body).

And setting the throttle to 100% doesn't do much once you're in a stall pointing upward. Because this is not a fighter jet, and its thrust to weight ratio is below 1.0, so 100% thrust is insufficient to fight gravity on its own.

You know, this makes me think that maybe I should make a level about stall recovery (it crossed my mind before, but I had dismissed it, thinking that it might not be very useful or fun). I'll have to think about it.

Cheers.

bulutp likes this.
  10. bulutp

bulutp

Thanks @AxPetre, that worked very well. I was missing the last thing you listed (pointing the aircraft down). It is quite fun to fly to 30k ft and do a free fall :)

AxPetre likes this.
  11. AxPetre

AxPetre

bulutp likes this.
  12. John3D

John3D

Awesome flight simulator! Great job! Good luck with your game!

AxPetre likes this.
  13. Colorale

Colorale

Hi Alex,
    I've asked you if you can disabled the mobile control system to play your app on an androïd emulator... You've proposed to make me an apk with this configuration... How can we proceed?
    Greet
    Jérôme

Hi Jérôme,

Thank you for your appreciation.
    I haven't managed to run any game through emulators, so I don't know exactly how they can be controlled when they're emulated. How are other games and apps controlled when run inside emulators?
    My game has built-in support for keyboard, which is how I test it when is inside Unity, but every time it detects a mobile system (or an emulator of a mobile system) it switches into expecting inputs from touch and tilt.
    I could make you an apk with the mobile control system disabled, but I don't know how well it will work inside an emulator.

14. cheesycode

cheesycode

i love your game! graphics are great, easy controls, and the in-person mode makes the game really interesting, and the ad system is fantastic! 11/10 would recomend playing this

15. cheesycode

cheesycode

fighter jet i hear you say... could you add a fighter jet? maybe with a working ejector seat... that would be cool!

16. Chanindu

Chanindu

Hi Alex,
    Im Chanindu, Beginner Game developer, could you help me make my own flight simulator? if so, you may give me tips and things as if to how to make my flight sim by E-mailing me at ChaninduAdrian@outlook.com. and you may join my collaborate organization since I'd like an experienced game developer helping me

17. Chanindu

Chanindu

TFS is better than Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020, my friend says TFS is useless, FS 2020 is better, man, TFS is better, any Microsoft Flight Sim never had in-person mode, capabillities of driving cars

18. Chanindu

Chanindu

sorry if my name sounds abnormal, Im Srilankan.

19. Chanindu

Chanindu

and possibly the only (apart from few) TFS players in Srilanka

20. Chanindu

Chanindu

errr Cheesycode, the name is TURBOPROP Flight Simulator, So it cant include any Jet

21. waviation9

waviation9

I understand that this post is very outdated, but does anybody here have any clue what happened to version 1.03 of Turboprop FS, it seems like there is no mention of it anywhere in the internet.