Search Unity

Free 3D Models (most iPhone spec)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by JamesArndt, Mar 8, 2011.

1. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

http://www.facebook.com/fatBOXSoftware

Hi everyone. I've started gathering up models I've had sitting on my hard drive over the years. I've decided to start sharing them free of charge, with the community of developers. I will be adding in groups over the next few days, I do have quite a bit of city and roadside props to pull up and post. All models are in .OBJ format to ensure maximum portability to your 3D app, and each one has the UVs already laid out, feel free to tweak as you wish. Please use these models with or without credit to me, I am releasing them openly to the general public for unlimited commercial and non-commercial purposes.

Follow the link above to access the links to the first group of 10 or so models.
    You will see a section on the left side navigation panel that will say "3D Models (Download Link).
    It would be cool if you shot me an email some time to show me how a model has helped!

2. CallToAdventure

CallToAdventure

Would be awesome to have that in the Asset Store. Drop right in the project, and oh, no facebook tour.

3. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Well I'm trying to get a micro community going in the world of Facebook. I would definitely put together some assets all in the asset store, but this is a direct link to the downloads via my Dropbox. No hassle at all, just log into Facebook, Like my page and grab whatever you want in seconds.

4. kiranmaya

kiranmaya

Thanks for your low poly car models,i will write your credits in next game as modeling artist

5. 2dfxman1

2dfxman1

A community that joins only to download a model and leave is worse than no community at all.

6. kiranmaya

kiranmaya

are you talking about me?

7. 2dfxman1

2dfxman1

No I am talking about people who "join" just because they're forced to.

8. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

It's not a big deal honestly...just gathering some folks on Facebook. If someone is interested great, if not, no big deal. No one is "forced" to do a thing, they always have a choice to come grab some free models or not...hitting a "like" button doesn't change that aspect. It's not up to me to sort out the Facebook haters, or people who don't like subscribing for something free!

9. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Kiranmaya - Glad the models could help! I'm getting a lot of positive messages daily! Keep looking, I'm adding a new batch of models soon.

10. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Actually I'm going to set it up today where thumbnails of these models will display next to the links for them...this way people can see the model they are getting before the really decide if they want it or not....and I'm adding new models up today :)

11. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

http://www.facebook.com/fatBOXSoftware
    (Make sure to click on the 3D Model Download Link on the left side of the page)

I added up about 16 new models! I even created 200 pixel wide thumbnail previews so you can see what you are getting before you download....I added some very good quality models today, check out the new Veyron model!

12. 3dDude

3dDude

Sigh, 2dFXman... You are becoming a really negative person... Just because you might not think something is great does not mean that you have to comment on it saying it is not. I mean there are a lot of people here who are just trying to make some money, or make a game, and you coming down on them is not a good confidence boost.

And a community that trolls on everyone else IS worse then no community at all.

And everywhere you go you will find people who are new and just want a model to get them going on a project. I suggest that if you really just all out hate this community then there is no real reason for you yo keep coming here and putting everyone down.

BTW nice models! Thanks!

13. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

@3dDude - Thanks man! Honestly I could see his point when I realized how many different threads I put this information in, but I couldn't find a way to delete my own threads! I would have liked to put it all into a master thread to be honest. Regardless I'm really doing this pro bono and trying to help out folks with all kinds of random models...I added a PayPal donate button and that's it, purely optional. I only added that because I don't make any money for the time spent making sure the .objs /textures are all archived properly, making sure the models are clean, welded vertices, proper scale in Meters, etc. I'm not putting junk models up, they are sometimes cleaner than what you would buy on Turbosquid. Oh and as a side note, I will never charge for any models on the Facebook repository, they are entirely free for any commercial or personal purpose!

14. BloodGreen Studio

BloodGreen Studio

Very nice models, much appreciated. Theyre low poly and high quality. To people who are to lazy to click the like button- its really worth it.

15. thegreyman1

thegreyman1

You got some pretty cool assets in there. I'm really starting to dig low res stuff again, kind of reminds me of my youth spent playing PS1 :)

16. blockimperium

blockimperium

Nice stuff man. Didn't really need the models, but I appreciate the generosity. This is a 'good thing' for the community as a whole.

17. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Gregory - Thanks I'm actually putting in quite a few hours compiling these, cleaning them up, archiving and uploading them. I really want these assets to be used somewhere and for them to have new life. They have sat on my hard drive doing nothing.

18. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

I added up some new FREE assets this morning....I thought I would share the tree models and textures with the community in here. They are generally mobile spec, but could be reduced most definitely. If you look into the assets you will see a new Pine Tree LOD set that I've put up as well. It actually consists of a LOD0 model (hero/closeup) and an LOD1 (far off on the mountain)...the LOD1 is really a side render of the LOD0 (rendered with alpha channel) and then that alpha texture applied to about 4-8 planes of geometry. It's a neat technique and I used it on some of my work on the Wii with great results. These are 4 screens of some trees, but I uploaded other assets such as a Pine Tree and a neat looking Victorian type Lamppost model/texture. I hope folks enjoy!

As always follow the link to access the models: www.facebook.com/fatBOXSoftware

Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  19. AnomalusUndrdog

AnomalusUndrdog

I am considering using some of your models in our game, going to give them a post-apocalyptic face-lift. I'll share it, if you want.

Also what kind of attribution do you want in our credits if ever we do use your models?

(C) 2011 James Arndt

or

(C) 2011 FatBOX Software

or whatever you want

20. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

anomalous - Wow awesome! Yes please share the progress and how you've made them all distressed, that would be cool as heck to see. If you would like to credit me that would be awesome too...you can just use my name, James Arndt. Thanks for stopping in and I'm glad you could find some stuff to help you out, I'll be posting more up weekly. It just takes time to do all of the setup to distribute these.

21. AnomalusUndrdog

AnomalusUndrdog

Some trolling elsewhere quite distressed me so I hadn't got to doing this until now. Here's what I got so far:

I think 256x256 is too small for something like this, considering its meant to be a big billboard. I'll make a bigger sized texture for it later.

Download here: http://anomalousunderdog.herobo.com/Graywalkers/Free/

PM me if there are download issues.

@James: do you mind if I put my modifications into the creative commons license? Read about it, you might want to put your stuff in that license too.

22. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Sure you can put it in the creative commons license. I wouldn't know where to begin with that to be honest, but I'm going to research it. I like what you've done with it! Looking all burnt out...maybe put some holes in it with the texture alpha? Like bullet holes, mortar holes or something? Just a thought....I agree with maybe a higher res texture, this one was created for iPhone spec in mind lol, so very low res. Man great stuff dude, keep it up and I'll follow along with your game's progress!

23. AnomalusUndrdog

AnomalusUndrdog

Cool, I'm thankful you're happy with it.

Holes would be dependent on the actual ad in there. If we ever put Coca-cola as the ad and it turns out the hole from the alpha makes a hole on the Coca-cola logo, they probably wouldn't like that, so its gotta be dependent on the specific ad. The rails and the what seems to be ladder at the side on the other hand, I added holes though its not evident in the picture.

Ok. I'll keep the low res texture for people who want it and I'll bundle a higher res one also.

Putting it in creative commons at least makes things a bit more formal, and the guys who made that license know what they're doing. There are different versions if you want the asset to be allowed for commercial or non-commercial only, if you allow modifications to it or not, if you require that modifications be released under the same license or not, and if you require attribution in the credits.

24. AnomalusUndrdog

AnomalusUndrdog

I bundled these two together as it turns out they both use the same texture.

I also added more polys on the wheel:

Again, download link is here: http://anomalousunderdog.herobo.com/Graywalkers/Free/ (uploading is taking a while)

@James: If you could give me the font used for that digital road sign I can properly scale it up. As it is, I simply scaled up the small raster image of it so its blurry.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
  25. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Anamolous - Ya know I don't even know if I have that font around anymore. It was a shareware/open source font I found via google looking for free fonts....one's that were specifically digital signage fonts. I am sure you can find one close to it and just swap it out, I am pretty sure I don't have that on my system anymore. Yeah you are right, I forgot that those assets shared a texture. I remember I was testing things out and to decrease overhead I started to combine textures for props.... I like the destructo look to everything, looks post apocalyptic like you intended! Keep it up man, I'm curious to see the kind of world these things would be laying around in....freaking dark and scary place!

26. AnomalusUndrdog

AnomalusUndrdog

I squeezed some time in work to make the higher resolution of the billboard:

27. AnomalusUndrdog

AnomalusUndrdog

28. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Wow looking good on the updates! I'm uploading some very new assets this week...so keep the eyes peeled :)