Search Unity

Fraudulent Companies

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gyltefors, Apr 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gyltefors

gyltefors

Lately, I have noticed some companies that have started crossing the line into outright fraudulent business practices, and believe that it is important that we are aware who these companies are.

I first noticed it with e-on software, owned by Bentley Systems. They sent me a direct mail asking for money, in return for the next major version of their software Vue. They never delivered the software, and refused to refund the money.

Recently Unity are starting to make it clear that they have chosen the same fraudulent path. I received a notification about a payment made to Unity, and investigated the cause. I had not received any prior notification from Unity about any upcoming payment. It turned out that they had switched my yearly Unity subscription to a monthly subscription, and invoiced almost USD50. I switched back to yearly subscription the same day, and notified unity, asking to refund the erroneous invoice. Though, I received a very strange answer from them, that clearly indicated that their intention was to scam out money from their customers. So in the end, I ended up paying for a yearly subscription, plus the amount they managed to steal from their scam.

This is totally unacceptable! We as customer can not allow the industry to deteriorate into outright criminal practices. I encourage everyone to share the word, so that we as customer can know what companies are to be trusted, and which to avoid.

2. wccrawford

wccrawford

But you aren't avoiding them? You're still continuing to give them money.
    That isn't to say I'm convinced that they did anything wrong here. I'd bet you didn't understand what you signed up for and were surprised when it happened exactly as agreed.

And I'm 100% sure they never said that they intend to scam their customers.

Ostwind and Kiwasi like this.
  3. LaneFox

LaneFox

Sounds like you're very confused about what you're buying and what/when you are expected to pay.

Joe-Censored and Kiwasi like this.
  4. Amon

Amon

The OP is on one.

5. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

I had the same thing happened to me, offcourse they do it to to make more money (since monthly is more expensive than yearly).And yes it's a bit shady

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
  6. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Unity doesn't have a $50 USD subscription tier that I'm aware of.

angrypenguin likes this.
  7. Murgilod

Murgilod

They might be in Canada, where the Plus tier comes out to $45-50 a month depending on how the loonie is performing.

Ryiah and Joe-Censored like this.
  8. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

This is almost certainly untrue.

Make sure to carefully read everything you agreed to. Contact Unity, they will sort things or explain the issue. Closing because this is not the forum this, and it is really just ranting. Contact Unity directly.

Metron and Ryiah like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.