Search Unity

Framerate drops 50% when Rift is put on head!

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by Recluse, May 29, 2017.

1. Recluse

Recluse

This is weird - just started happening today...

If I hold the rift in my hands and 'look around', the game runs at 90-100 fps.

As soon as I put the Rift on, however, framerate drops to 30-45 fps and stays there.

Using Unity 5.6.0p3

2. FMark92

FMark92

Well yeah... You're rendering to two screens now, remember?

3. Recluse

Recluse

I'm aware of that, been using VR for 2 years. But yesterday the project was running 90fps - in the Rift.

Today, it's 45 fps.

I'm pretty sure when the game is running in VR mode it is rendering twice - whether the Rift is on or not.
    Wearing / removing the headset simply turns on / off the display.

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  4. Recluse

Recluse

Found it - drag n drop mistake in the editor accidentally duplicated some elements on the player prefab, including a Post Processing Behaviour component on a camera and a reflection probe. Removing the duplicates fixed the problem.

Not sure why this would only affect the framerate when actually wearing the Rift though.

And to confirm, the triangles drawn in the stats window is the same, when running in VR mode - whether you are wearing the Rift, or if it is sitting on the table.

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  5. sfjohansson

sfjohansson

..also when running in editor...there will be a performance impact if both scene and game view is visible and that can be the culprit if performance varies between runs..

6. Recluse

Recluse

Yeah, I've noticed that the game runs slower if the scene view is visible - I usually max the game view when play-testing in the editor.