Search Unity

Frame rate does not match GearVR

Discussion in 'Daydream' started by Surreal, Sep 24, 2016.

1. Surreal

Surreal

Same scene. Same Unity version. Same scripts running. It appears that the frame rate is improved for Cardboard using Unity native integration (versus previous version), but still does not match GearVR.

2. WendelinReich

WendelinReich

Why would you expect it to match GearVR? In terms of supported devices, Cardboard supports a huge superset of Gear VR, meaning that the latter can make tight assumptions about its runtime environment. That includes special on-device libraries, drivers etc provided by Samsung - of course Cardboard cannot match that.

3. Tuitive

Tuitive

Also, the Gear VR headsets use their own gyroscopes that are way better than what any current phone has, and it's doing some trickery w that "time warp" technology to improve head tracking even further. My hope is that part of the "Daydream certified" thing for hardware will require better gyro's on par w what Gear VR has.

4. Surreal

Surreal

well, I would have expected it to come closer on the same exact phone.

Most frustrating, Cardboard performance -- without native integration -- was better in 5.3x

5. Surreal

Surreal

You make a good point about hardware assist from the Gear, I should have considered that, and yes, it stands to reason DayDream would help. But it's disappointing to see little native integration helped, particularly since Unity 5.3, sans integration, performed better.

6. williamj

williamj

Unity Technologies

Hi,

Can anyone provide a project that demonstrates better performance in 5.3 (Legacy) than in 5.4 (Native)?

My performance tests have failed to catch any significant differences between those 2 configurations.

If you can spare the time it would be incredibly helpful. If we can find out how and why it regressed, we may be able to incorporate those issues into our performance tests so that we may find regressions like these in the future.

If you can provide a project that does so, please submit a bug report and post or PM me the case number.

Thanks,

William
    Unity QA

7. Surreal

Surreal

William,

Can you confirm though that you would expect Native Cardboard using the preview edition to perform noticeably worse on side to side jitter than the same code running as Native GearVR?