Search Unity

"Fragment" NSFW furries doing farms?

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by PlanetKiller, May 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PlanetKiller

PlanetKiller

Good, I got your attention. Thank you for looking at this thread, I warn you there may be NSFW posts in this thread.

The working title for this game is "Fragment", but that may change. I have a video of the character walking, along with some info HERE.

If you have seen the video, then I'll tell you some of the more technical things. Rays are being used to check if the character is on the ground, more consistent then collisions(collisions made jumping heights wonky). Made the models in blender, test objects (swords) are done in unity. Textures are my own, mostly for testing. All the major assets will be made using Blender and Gimp, many may be released freely on OpenGameArt. I won't tell you what I am going to implement next, you'll just have to see when I post it. I am not sure what the mods thing of Patreon, so if you want my patreon link, contact me.

2. CarterG81

CarterG81

What is NSFW about it? Naked cartoon character animals? Aren't those just...regular animals?
    In the link, I see nothing but a grey entity (hard to tell what it is exactly, as it is textureless) and an extremely laggy video.
    In your Patreon project, I only see a paragraph likening farming to makin' aggressive love, but even that is pretty safe for work the way it's said.

Just to be blunt, if you wish to garner interest (especially if Patreon is like Kickstarter??), you might write more about the planned features. More depth as to what the game will be like besides a vague, brief description. Maybe some art concepts.

Of course, maybe I don't know what Patreon is. I've never heard of it, and probably incorrectly assume it's like IndieGoGo/Kickstarter.

Even games with no art, try to pull people in with information as to the project's design/gameplay.
    It lets you see the direction the game is heading, what it's like, the idea around it, etc.

If you have no artwork, you are really left with nothing but text describing why it'll be fun. That is a very difficult thing to do early in development, but I figured I'd throw in my two cents.

It's still pretty fun to share how things are going though! It's fun, and if you keep posting, after awhile people realize you're serious and begin to take interest.

I look forward to learning what the game is about. I always appreciate games which aren't about combat combat and more combat. Honestly, there are enough games where all you do is fight and shoot stuff. It's nice when alternatives come around, especially farming games like Harvest Moon or survival games like Don't Starve (where farming/cultivating food is vital to gameplay).

Last edited: May 22, 2014
  3. CarterG81

CarterG81

When intellectual curiosity backfires.

I was warned. I just had to ask.

Last edited: May 23, 2014
  4. bgivenb

bgivenb

lmao

5. PlanetKiller

PlanetKiller

$05272014.png

I do try to warn people, my actions tend toward the eccentric. Currently I'm using a sky sphere (just threw a texture on) so I can have better control over the sky. The inventory mostly works,and you can swap items in the quick bar. I have tentatively finished with the NPC data constructor, over 30 variables for NPCs alone. Learned that a second directional light tends to burn through materials that use transparency (wet t-shirt contest?). I might try to write some shaders myself (succeeded with extending the number of textures in an existing shader). Item pickups are next, and then I'll have to start expanding the amount of content I have.

6. judah4

judah4

You dont have to draw the naughty bits you know. Instantly opens the game up to a lot more people. I really dont see the point of it other than the shock factor.

7. PlanetKiller

PlanetKiller

I played GTA from 3 to San Andreas, and while I understand the lack of children in a game based upon criminal activities, the lack of dogs always puzzled me. Likewise, Fallout : New Vegas had children, but they were always protected. I didn't mind, but they had few major roles, and you always got caught for pickpocketing them, even though they had nothing. I don't believe the lack of naughty bits will open my game up to more people, rather I'm making sure children don't play it. Most mature games either force you to do violent acts as part of the gameplay; or, in postal, it is highly suggested. Would players seek violence when it is not only unnecessary, but discouraged; or would they still try to push the boundaries.

Judah4, are you assuming that this will be just like Harvest Moon, but wit naughty bits? How were you thinking the lack of bits would open up the game? That the bits did not allude to some gameplay mechanic? If you give a player a sword, what will he strike; just the mobs, or everything? Fuel has the largest world of any game, but I learned size doesn't matter without gameplay. I want this game to mimic life as much as possible, but most things in life are restricted from people until they reach a certain age.

8. PlanetKiller

PlanetKiller

Started working on buildings; making the rooms in blender then I'll combine them into houses in unity. The watering can spews particles, I am going to use rays to get the dirt plots you are watering. Because object movement is different in unity to blender, I'm not sure about the orientation; but the water can should work once implemented. Modified the player controls to be more like the default 3rd-person controller. Created the raw heightmap in GIMP and imported it onto a unity terrain. Decided to use unity terrain instead of a blender object; looks better. Decided on how I am going to handle dirt plots, I'll use the x/z positions as a key in the dictionary (first turning them into ints, then into strings). Before saving the game data, I'll have a method to flatten the inventory into two lists (strings and amounts); should keep sizes down. NPC data will have to be saved in full, but any location floats I need to save will be written as ints. Because the water can was added with (copy) appended to the name, I had to cut the string down; I'm using the object name to get the item construct and add it to the item (the script does all the work). All I have to do is add the itemFab script to the item prefab and it sets everything on startup. Items the player picks up will add random amounts between 1 and 5. I'll start working on item pickups and crop growing soon. Because I can have several materials on one object, I can make the materials add visibility in sequence; thus allowing the plant to look like it is growing while still using one object. (I don't want to have dozens of meshes for each plant)

9. tweedie

tweedie

Yup. We're all feeling your reaction now.

I think I would be on the side of 'You don't really need to include those bits'. I can't really see why you're wanting to make a serious adult-game, that reflects life (in a 'social experiment'-like fashion to see if people are unnecessarily violent when the game doesn't call for it), by using humanoid animals with genitals, in (what I can make out from your site) is primarily a farming game..? Can you see how that sounds like a bit of a mish-mash.

Also, if you think adding naughty bits to your characters will deter children... you'd be very wrong. Instead they might immaturely flock to your game to laugh at the animal's bits 'n pieces, whereas adults would probably label the game as "immature, must've been made by a prepubescent kid". I think you might end up with the reverse of what you're hoping for.

If you want this game to reflect life as much as possible, then why have these animals been able to craft items, and I assume have learnt to communicate, but have not adorned themselves with any clothing? I think most civilisations that made it past the iron age began wearing at least a towel around their waists.

On your site, you say it'll be a simple farming game, then proceed to talk about hunting, mining and 'bad deeds being punished in unique ways'.... so, is this a farming game? I would definitely agree with Carter that we need more games that aren't combat-centric, and games like Don't starve that have harvest mechanics are working very well at the moment, but yours sounds like a GTA mixed with Harvest moon - I can't see this working, if I'm honest. I think it would benefit you to reduce your genres a touch. Although, you haven't exactly given us a wealth of information on what the gameplay will be like, so who knows what you're planning.

I would say A) more information and B) just remove the 'naughty bits', I think that would really help the game, personally. Good luck with this though, it could potentially be very interesting, even as an experiment.

10. PlanetKiller

PlanetKiller

The characters will have clothing, but it can be removed. Most of the negative actions will be hidden from conversations, unless you are either very drunk, or have done some negative things (like killing). The clothing will be in the inventory menu; instead of crafting it (and taking up inventory space) you can use arrows to swap clothing and colors (ten shirts/pants and ten colors). I might remove the naughty bits, but I'll do that when I work on the textures more (still need to create the clothing).

The NPC AI will be comprised of different functions, each function will be responsible for different actions (wants, needs, responsibility) and each character will act on which action has the greater priority (partially based upon personality and current morality of the world).

If the player does enough negative things, they become corrupt, and when you talk to NPCs you will have good actions on the right, and bad actions on the left. Bad actions only appear if you are prone to negative actions, but the world also becomes corrupt (causing NPCs to become more violent to the player and each other).

More destructive monsters will appear based upon the corruption of the world. When the world becomes too corrupt, it becomes desolate, and the savefile will be deleted upon player death. Even if the world and player are corrupt, good actions will help cleanse everything (such as destroying monsters and helping anyone still alive).

If the player dies when the world is not desolate, the game will randomly generate a new player and skip the world forward one year (destroying the player inventory, money, and many farmhouses). You'll be able to pass on your farm, and much of your wealth to a family member (or random character) if you are getting too old (this allow you to "skip" death, but you will still lose some resources).

(I want death to be more permanent, and thus avoided; but not a game-stopper. This also allows the player to reset without resetting.)

I'll try to do achievements, but none for negative actions.

There will be crafting, and you can craft seeds from some of your plants; other plants will produce seeds over time that you can pick before/instead of the plant itself. NPCs will be randomly generated to populate the island, some will work at specific shops, others will just visit.

You'll stare with just a farmhouse and a field, but extra buildings can be constructed. These buildings will weaken and may collapse over time, so you'll have to fix them up (or use an NPC to do so).

I'm also going to attempt to write functions to randomly generate conversations (not just madlibs).

Currently have the watering can watering the field plots, learned how to get the root parent (using transform.root) and modify rays so they are always pointing in the right direction (adding transform.root.TransformDirection(Vector3.forward) to transform.root.position).
    I also learned you can add (Vector3.forward) and (Vector3.down) to make diagonal rays (not needed, but interesting).

11. goat

goat

12. jameos

jameos

i dont think that many people would want to play something that takes animals into a adult nature.i mean apart from furries of course
    didnt really know what of to expected when i clicked on the thread to be honest..

13. goat

goat

I've used the DAZ forums a few times and last year or maybe the year before I remember the DAZ forums had to set up strict rules about nudity because it was, to try and be concise, 'attention seeking' rather than 'talent demonstrating'. Ultimately the DAZ forum is most closely associated with DAZ so that they enacted the censorship says something. I don't know if DAZ's decision was to make the forums open to a wider variety of customers (sex violence must it saturate everything?) or something to do with most internet sites allowing 13 year olds to sign up without their parent's permission.

14. Dennis_eA

Dennis_eA

Quote from Website: "The game will be a simple farming game, the gameplay will be interesting."

No.

15. PlanetKiller

PlanetKiller

Change-log 06042014

* created fur pattern textures

* created shirt textures

* created pants textures

* created eye textures

* decided on colors for fur and clothing

* r-18 parts removed from detail texture

* appearance loader function written for player

* world script started to contain and initialize all world variables

* world script contains Texture2d and color lists for appearance loader

16. CarterG81

CarterG81

WHAT HAVE I DONE?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

*the guilt, it drives him mad*

It finally happened Carter. You've lost your MiNd!!!!

o_O HUAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAA o_O

17. jameos

jameos

ive got to point out the refrence to carter :D love it!

18. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

This game is inapproporate for these forums. Sexual content deleted. Locked.

Minors visit these forums, and while casual nudity and language is overlooked, pictures (even of a cartoon nature) of parted female genitalia is not permitted, nor will ever be permitted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.